Denied entry Nong Khai

I had a rather unsual happening sunday trying to enter Thailand thruu Nong Khai from Vientiane.

I was denied entry (soft denial no passport stamps) in Nong Khai trying to enter on a visa waiver stamp.

The only explainantion i was given by immigration officer was that: computer tells to may days. Supervisiors saided the same. There was no discussions. Like talking to a wall. They didnt want to see any paper anything is was no question. I had to make a VISA in VTE. The officer told me about some new regulation that could be seen on TV, well easy on LAO television.

Now im a frequent visitor to Thailand as a tourist. I work in Macau on a roational schedule. Ive been in thailand maybe 6 times within the last year but on separte passports as I hold 2. This is really a bit crazy I have never ever had any problems like this anywhere.

Was I just extremely unlucky with this Immigration officer or whats going on? Anyone have any experinace with this??

I made a VISA in VTE and will try today again in Nong Khai.

• Like 1

How many back to back "visa exempt" entries where stamped in the passport presented?

Do not forget that immigration have the ability to link two passports and therefore access a full "visa" history of anyone seeking entry to he country.

With a visa you will have no difficulty entering.

Were you just doing a border crossing to get a new entry by just entering Laos and returning? That is a back to back entry and could be the reason.

Not getting a denial of entry stamp means it was not done according to procedures,

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. Annoying for you, but good information to know.

Immigration are clamping down on visa exempt entries especially at land borders.

Do you always enter over land or were any of your previous entries by air? A history of your entries would be helpful for others.

Thanks for all replys

Even with both my passport combined I have maximum 6 stay in Thai the last year or even less. Last time I stayed was 20 days in exit on 3rd Februrari. They claimed maximum 90 days per year also without VISA

I Have never made any back to back visa exempts in my passport. Obvioulsy i have a lot of thai stamps in the passport (along with multiple stamps from other countires) but never any back to back.

I came to Laos from Macau in end of april and have stayed here since beacause i have house in VTE.

This was actually my first ever land entry to thailand. I have always flew in thruu Phuket or Bangkok on duty or when being on holiday

I just have a feeling that forced me to make a visa to gain 1000 baht.

As i was in the thai consular section yesterday the place was absoluetly packed with people..... When i applied for my visa I even asked if they wanted to see any backup document as salary slips, work contract, bank statements travel docus ets ets No he just sigend it within 10 sec no questions asked........

Well im off to pick it up now and then try Nong Khai again

• Like 1

"They claimed maximum 90 days per year also without VISA"
​This rule was, supposedly, dropped some time ago.
The rule was that you can only stay a maximum of 90 days in any 6 month period on visa exemption.

It is still advertised on the London Thai Embassy website.....
"Foreigners who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category and would like to leave and
re-enter may only stay for a cumulative duration, which does not exceed 90 days and is within a 6-month period from the date of first entry. (Passport or travel document must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of first entry)."

Thanks for all replys

Even with both my passport combined I have maximum 6 stay in Thai the last year or even less. Last time I stayed was 20 days in exit on 3rd Februrari. They claimed maximum 90 days per year also without VISA

I Have never made any back to back visa exempts in my passport. Obvioulsy i have a lot of thai stamps in the passport (along with multiple stamps from other countires) but never any back to back.

I came to Laos from Macau in end of april and have stayed here since beacause i have house in VTE.

This was actually my first ever land entry to thailand. I have always flew in thruu Phuket or Bangkok on duty or when being on holiday

As i was in the thai consular section yesterday the place was absoluetly packed with people..... When i applied for my visa I even asked if they wanted to see any backup document as salary slips, work contract, bank statements travel docus ets ets No he just sigend it within 10 sec no questions asked........

"I just have a feeling that forced me to make a visa to gain 1000 baht."

How would immigrations officers at a land border "gain" 1000 baht if you got a visa at an embassy or consulate?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Hello!

I'm sorry to hear about your story... You're just unlucky this time, I would say.

The Immigration Officer might have just been in a bad mood then.

I've got 28 entry and departure stamps (56 stamps overall) plus a Non-B with

two entry and one departure stamps (3 stamps overall) in my passport, which

is 4 and a half years old. This means I've got 59 Thai stamps in my passport

altogether BUT I've never ever been denied entry into Thailand. I've been

stopped and questioned only at the two land borders (Padang Besar and

Chong Mek) but they let me in no problem.

Good luck!

Did you extend the previous 30 day visa exempt entries at immigration ?

I've read elsewhere on this forum where a guy had some issues and they said it was because he had extended visa exempt entries in the past.

The 90day in 180days has been stopped many years.

It is true that Thai Immigration has now a system where they monitor entry via visa exception stamps, but we have not been able to verify the criteria.

The warning comes up automatically on the screen when the person tries to enter.

Thanks for all replys

Wow.

• Hadn't been in-country since 3FEB
  • NO back-to-back entries
  • FIRST entry at any land-crossing
  • Last stay was 20d
  • (I presume) No history of overstays or other problems with immigration

And afforded NO opportunity to present documentary evidence of foreign income source, travel docs, etc., in support of tourist entry...

But the consulate, looking at all the same information, hands over a visa no questions asked.

Gee. Nothing at all capricious or inconsistent about that, is there?

How frustrating.

Were you able to escalate the matter to a supervisor?

Thanks for all replys

"I just have a feeling that forced me to make a visa to gain 1000 baht."

How would immigrations officers at a land border "gain" 1000 baht if you got a visa at an embassy or consulate?

Well I didnt write or mean immigration officer. I mean Thailand will earn 1000 baht on me making this VISA. Had in knew it in advance i would have happliy avioded this whole circus by paying 1000 baht. The Thai consular section in VTE is not bad business thats for sure...

Edited by Johnny396
  • Like 1

Thanks for all replys

Wow.

• Hadn't been in-country since 3FEB
  • NO back-to-back entries
  • FIRST entry at any land-crossing
  • Last stay was 20d
  • (I presume) No history of overstays or other problems with immigration

And afforded NO opportunity to present documentary evidence of foreign income source, travel docs, etc., in support of tourist entry...

But the consulate, looking at all the same information, hands over a visa no questions asked.

Gee. Nothing at all capricious or inconsistent about that, is there?

How frustrating.

Were you able to escalate the matter to a supervisor?

Highly frustrating i would say. I was talking to 3 diffrent guys in the border point and they all said the same. Go to vientinane make visa. There was no discussion about it. And ive been in SEA region long enough to know taht pulling this furher or go upset will only make it worse...just bite the sour apple and go and make the visa

And yes even as frustrating when they do not want to see any supporting document in the consulate. Why on earth did I have to do it then???? Just quesiton me at the border. Well im not trying the Nong Khai border again without visa

Passed the Nong Khai border a couple of hours ago without any problem with a visa. No questions asked at immigration. So finally I can wind down with a Chang:)

For the record Im swedish citizen. In my passports i have a total of 13 visa waiver entrys in the last 3 years. Some are 30 days some are 1 week etc etc. I have never been questioned at border when arriving by air. Yes once I forgot to sign my entry form so I was asked to sign it. I have never overstayed. Once I did a 7 day extension to my 30 days and left after 4 days into that one.

I will make new passport in the summer as they are full and i will be in europe then anyways. But if that immigration knows anything about swedish passports they can track it anyways since we have our social securtiy numbers in them.....

One thing is for sure I will not try Nong Khai border without VISA again.....

• Like 1

Cambodia is looking better all of the time, with their yearly visas, online visas, visas on arrival, they are actually welcoming me to visit their country. It's sad that Thailand is looking down their nose at me now because I'm entering on a visa exempt stamp. Not very conducive to tourism I'd say, and I'm just saying....

Edited by Roger Lee

How to get a 1 year multi entry to cambodia?

And is it also possible for laos ?

Thank you.

Cambodia is looking better all of the time, with their yearly visas, online visas, visas on arrival, they are actually welcoming me to visit their country. It's sad that Thailand is looking down their nose at me now because I'm entering on a visa exempt stamp. Not very conducive to tourism I'd say, and I'm just saying....

How to get a 1 year multi entry to cambodia?

And is it also possible for laos ?

Thank you.

That is a question for visas for other countries section, this section deals with visas for Thailand only.

Hello!

I have never made any extension of any of my 28 entry / departure (visa-exempt) stamps

but stayed in Thailand a week or so each time before I got a Non-B early this year.

Hello!

Yes its very weird. This extension i did in 2013 march so its quite some time ago.

I just have a feeling that this is busniess here. Which overstayer or illegal worker would hold a valid chineese crew and business visa valid us business and crew visa valid russian business visa even bloody kazakstan visa

if it was a real denied entry i would have got a stamp in my passport. But that requires (i hope) a long intrerogation which i would have had no problems with. And in the end a lot of problems if i would been stamped. Now the Laos border just revoked the stamp and visa used i did on entry in VTE and i got it back without fee i had the feeling it was not the first time

The reason i joined this forum and started this tread was to check if anybody had this problem before and aswell hopefully be a bit helpfull on the Nong Khai border

If I understand you correctly when you re-entered Laos the immigration there just allowed you to effectively use the Laos visa on arrival that had already been stamped as used, in effect they allowed you to act as if you had not departed - Is that right? If so it was jolly good of them not seeking another visa on arrival fee - although I suppose it may have raised the question as "arriving from where" given you had not actually legally entered Thailand!

Edited by gilo