Non O Immigrant Visa (Retirement) Questions

My wife and I are considering our future Thai visa situation and are a little confused on what exactly is required.

This is our current situation. We are both Australian citizens, with me being 52 and the wife being 49 (turns 50 on Sept 11th). We are currently living in Hua Hin on a double entry Tourist Visa. We are now on our 2nd entry, and if we get the 30 day extension, then we are due out of the country by the 4th August. We are planning on going over to Bali at this time.

Obviously I am the right age for the retirement type visa, I know it's not the correct terminology) but the wife is not (close though). We do have enough dollars in our Australian bank accounts to cover us both but don’t have a Thai bank account as yet. I did try to open one with Bangkok Bank a few weeks ago but they wouldn't do it without further documentation. We don’t have any income as such from overseas so we would have to go down the Thai bank account path.

We would like to begin the process of converting to a retirement visa, with the wife riding on my coattails until she is eligible herself. Not sure how to go about this or if it is even possible considering our current circumstances. In hindsight, I wished we had both got the 12 month non O Immigrant multiple entry visa instead of the tourist visa whilst in Brisbane, but that’s life.

I have been doing some research through this forum and other sources, but there seems to be a lack of correct and update to date information, and it can be a tad confusing. I did find a pretty good PDF file compiled by the Pattaya Expats Club? that seems to have up to date info. Probably the biggest issue with our circumstances is that the wife is not eligible to transfer here visa over whilst in Thailand, even though I am eligible to do so. And as we are not planning to return to Australia anytime soon, I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue. That is if I am even interpreting the rules correctly.

I guess another option would be for both of us to obtain another Tourist Visa in Bali (single entry would be fine) and that would give us at least 3 months back in country where we would both be eligible. The only issue I see with this, is if Thai Immigration deny entry due to back to back Tourist Visas, which would put a big dent in our plans.

Another option would be to go to a Visa Agent and pay them way too much money and let them have the headache, knowing that we will at least have the correct visa at the end of it.

Open to suggestions from those in the know, and thanks in advance.

Nothing can be achieved until you resolve the bank account issue !

To apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (it is not a "visa" ) requires 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank or a certified income of 65,000 Bht month.

To start the process single entry non immigrant "O" visa(s) (obtained outside Thailand ) are required which will not be issued unless proof of adequate finance can be provided.(see above)

Visa agents are not required and are a very expensive means of achieving a simple aim

Edited by nzexpat

You need to get a bank account opened. You just have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

Info on opening an account at Bangkok bank is here. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Once you have the money in a Thai bank you can get a single entry non-o and then your wife will be able to get one as your dependent.

Not sure what the consulate in Bali current policy is on getting the non-o visas. Penang and Vientiane will do them without a problem.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, it is much appreciated.

Yes, I'm going to have to pull my finger out with regards to opening a Thai bank account. We have got a property lease up until August, and we are meeting with our landlord next week to extend it through the high season, so he is happy to write something up for us that I can then take to Immigration and obtain a letter of residence (not sure if that is the correct terminology) so this may assist with opening a bank account.

If we went down the route of each of us obtaining another Tourist Visa in Denpasar, Bali and therefore the wife would turn 50 whilst on this visa whilst living in Thailand, therefore we could both convert to the Non O Immigrant Visa whilst in Thailand, and then later apply to extend for the full year regarding retirement. Is it required that both husband and wife be on retirement type visas if both qualify, or does it only require me to be on that type of visa and the wife obtains some sort of other status as long as there is proof we are married?

Which probably leads me to my next question regarding finances. If we both have to be on retirement type visas, do we both need separate banks accounts with the TB800,000 each, or can we have a joint account with a combined total? I have read different answers to this question in other threads.

Also the wife is a little concerned about Thai banks, and probably fair enough to be so. We were targeting Bangkok Bank to open an account as I had heard good things about them. If I have no luck with them, is there any other banks anyone could suggest based on their own banking experience here in LOS.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but just trying to wrap my head around this. We are just looking for a way to make life as easy as possible for us both using Thailand as our base to come and go as we please. I realize that we would have to apply for multiple re-entry permits to do this, but we just don't want the hassle of doing visa runs every three months or so. Thanks.

In order for both of you to get an extension based upon retirement requires you both to meet the financial requirements. The same for doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa at immigration in Bangkok.

It would be best for you both to get your non-o visa at an embassy or consulate. You should check with the consulate in Bali about their requirements.

Your wife can get a dependent extension at any age.

There is no reason to be concerned about Thai banks in my opinion. I have never had a problem.

• Like 1

You can only convert to an extension based on retirement if you have at least 15 days left on your permission to stay and you must apply in BKK and come back 15 days later to get the actual extension.

Only one of you needs to comply with the rules of an extension of stay based on retirement. The other spouse can be a dependent. The dependent will need to get a non-O visa abroad, as they will not convert for this reason.

So you could already apply for a non-O visa and not a tourist visa and your wife could apply for a non-O visa as your dependent. It is advised to do it this way, to avoid further unnecessary travel.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't Bangkok Bank open an account for you -- what was the problem with the documentation? Here in Chiang Mai, the branches that are used to dealing with foreigners, especially retirees, don't need to see a Cert. of Residency from Immigration to open an account -- just evidence of where you're living, ideally with the address written in Thai. Also, they'd like to have a recommendation from someone local, another account holder, etc. It doesn't have to be a Thai person. I've served as a reference numerous times. It helps, too, if you open the account with a fairly large sum of money, not just their 500 baht minimum. My favorite branch here in Chiang Mai, the one at Kad Suan Kaew mall, would be more than happy to open an account for someone in your situation once they learned you planned to transfer 800,000 baht from Australia.

As for conversion of a tourist visa into an O visa and then obtain a retirement extension in Thailand -- now is no longer so easy to do. Used to be that it could be done in local Immigration offices like Hua Hin. Not any more. Since late 2014, a tourist visa has to be converted in Bangkok and involves two trips to Bangkok. It's possible the info on the Pattaya Expats Club website is out-of-date. So, it's best to get your O-visas overseas. Perhaps when you go to Bali. Do your 12-month retirement extension of your O visa (and your wife get a dependent extension) after your money has aged 60 days at Bangkok Bank. That's all you need for the first extension. With subsequent extensions, the funds must age 90 days.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the responses. That all makes sense to me. I'll look at converting my Tourist Visa to an O Visa and then apply for the retirement extension, and the wife can apply as a dependant on this without her applying for the retirement extension in her own right. I have no problems heading up to Bangkok a couple of times if that is what is required. I realise the wife will have to apply overseas so we'll work something out there.

With regards to the Bangkok Bank question NancyL, I attended one of our local branches a while back after reading their website. I had all the required documents plus some that were current at the time. As it turns out, they had had changed the requirement rules a couple of weeks prior where I was advised that their website had not been updated. I have now just contacted my local bank in Australia to try and obtain a letter of recommendation or a SWIFT message sent to Bangkok Bank on my behalf. As everyone has stated, the quicker I get the Thai bank account, the better the position I'll be in to start the conversion process.

Could I also just confirm, what is the required time my 800,000 baht has to be in the Thai bank account prior to me applying to convert my Tourist Visa to an O Visa? I have read 2 months or 3 months, and not sure what each time refers to. I was just planning on depositing the required funds as soon as the account was opened and then never touching them as long as we were living in Thailand. Is this acceptable? Thanks again for your advice all.

Edited by jagfx

You might want to consider both of you going to Vientiane for your non-o visas after you have the money in the bank. They will do your wife's as your dependent at the same you get yours.

That way you both can apply for your extensions on the same day.

• Like 1

You might want to consider both of you going to Vientiane for your non-o visas after you have the money in the bank. They will do your wife's as your dependent at the same you get yours.

Really? I could only do my extension when there was 30 days, or less remaining on my 90 day entry into Thailand.

Really? I could only do my extension when there was 30 days, or less remaining on my 90 day entry into Thailand.

You misread my post.

The last line would happen long after they got their visas at the embassy.

To get the Non-O for retirement purposes, it's supposed to be two months, but, they don't seem too worried if it's less.

For the one year extension, it's three months and they do seem to be strict about this.

The money just has to be in the bank to get a visa. Even at immigration to apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry the money just has to be in the bank.

Only for the extension does the money have to be in the bank for 60 days to get the first extension. It is 3 months for the next ones.

• Like 1

Thanks both ubonjoe and KarenBravo for the feedback. There is certainly some confusion in this area, especially when even different Thai Immigration offices and different overseas Embassies/Consulates have different ways of interpreting things. As us Aussies would say, they are always moving the goal posts. It is good that I can come onto forums like TV and ask the dumb questions and get some sensible answers. Cheers.