Another empty camp found on Khao Kaew in Songkhla's Padang Besar area

webfact

Another empty camp found on Khao Kaew
The Nation

30259950-03_big.jpg

SADAO: -- ANOTHER detention camp, big enough to house up to 1,000 people was found yesterday on Khao Kaew in Songkhla's Padang Besar area.

There are three buildings at this empty campsite located 3 kilometres from other sites first discovered on May 1, Songkhla police said.

Police also found a large number of children's clothes and instant noodles.

Meanwhile, national police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri yesterday dismissed reports that five police generals are facing transfer over suspected roles in Rohingya trafficking.

So far, 67 officers from different police units and precincts in the South, where several instances of human trafficking were uncovered, have been either transferred or moved to inactive posts pending investigation. The ranks range from non-commissioned officers to colonel.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday reiterated his instructions, first issued on May 6, for civilian authorities, police and the military to do a complete scan of the South within the 10-day deadline.

Prayut issued the reminder at yesterday's cabinet meeting, deputy government spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

The PM also said that any official, police and military personnel found to have a hand in the trafficking would automatically be transferred away.

Meanwhile, the Anti-Money Laun-dering Office yesterday ordered the seizure of Bt75 million worth of assets belonging to members of a trafficking gang led by Phadungsak Bunphinij.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Another-empty-camp-found-on-Khao-Kaew-30259950.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-13

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget that the police and the military have long been competitors if not enemies. I don't see anyone from the navy or army getting busted. There will probably be the odd sacrificial lamb but I won't hold my breath for a serious cleaning.

Just so unlucky, finding them after they are emptied, eh?

Ah well, never mind, better luck next time.

Or the next.

Or the next.

Ad infinitum..........

My thoughts as well, always empty camps someone must be tipping them off with dates and times they will be arriving. Did they ever find the 500 who were lost/misplaced by the authorities about 8 months ago

Absolutely amazing that these camps are only now being discovered in areas heavily patrolled by the military for years because of the southern insurgents.

If the international spotlight wasn't focused big time on this issue I would suggest no camps would have been discovered.

A camp big enough to hold 1000 slaves ('cos lets face it, that's what they are), 3 km from the one discovered on May 1st, and it took 2 weeks to find it!

A joke, a very sick joke.

This whole situation is disgusting. Thai Officials/Police/Military have personally been profiting from human trafficking for decades, very little comes in or out of Thailand without their involvement and facilitation at one level or another.

To "pretend" that they are only just not being made aware of the problems and are only now "finding" these empty camps is laughable and an insult to anyone with even one brain cell.

Lies, lies, and more lies. Then a few more lies thrown on top just for good measure. All told with a straight face. Something Thai's have developed into an art form.

The biggest thieves and criminals here in Thailand are those in power (Officials, Politicians, Military, Police), on both sides of the political divide. And it's not going to change in my lifetime.

So the rumor about the police generals transfers were false and now only the small fry will be persecuted for allowing or profiting from this. Pathetic how only the little guys seem to be the only ones getting a slap on the wrist for this and their superiors are being permitted to continue in their positions. Even more disturbing is that no prosecutions have come forth in all of these transfers of police.

time for RAMBO to come to make another movie ?

so nice to hear all the involved officials get transferred, not jailed

what about investigating their unusual wealth ?

nice to hear that in this country, the people paid to protect the people, are the same as the criminals, save you a trip ...

THE P.M. Should be more strong and effectieve. When policeman or soldiers no matter there ranking be cought in a criminal aktivity, a big or a little one, take EVEREYTHING the have, property, land, mony, cars and so on and so on.

I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale! The P.M. Have to do something on the corruption, if he don't Thailand is lost!

With the large army presence in that area for years already, and total control for the past 12 months, it is such a surprise that they never noticed any of the TENS OF THOUSANDS refugees in camps there but only when the hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJL they know to find them empty.

They should be able to spot the camps from above by the mountain of trash they produce, I expect all the local Thais have nice cheap labour too for that rubber crop.

THE P.M. Should be more strong and effectieve. When policeman or soldiers no matter there ranking be cought in a criminal aktivity, a big or a little one, take EVEREYTHING the have, property, land, mony, cars and so on and so on.

I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale! The P.M. Have to do something on the corruption, if he don't Thailand is lost!

Thailand IS lost ,its a cesspit of corruption right down to its greedy dirty core as can be seen right now., oh let me guess "Thai bashing" well how much lower can they get than trafficking................ even lower it seems as the camps are "empty"

The PM also said that any official, police and military personnel found to have a hand in the trafficking would automatically be transferred away.

Is this for real ???? oh I read it more carefully! official, police and military personnel explains it well,looking for scapegoats any Burmese out there ????

While I agree with others that it is amazing these camps that can hold hundreds and hundreds of people have "gone undetected", I take it as a good sign that these new discoveries are making it into the news, that makes it a lot harder for it all to just get swept under the rug.

Maybe they should do some sweeps from the air with infrared detection, surely there are other countries or organizations who would be interested in helping out with that if needed? Maybe then they would find some live bodies.

Edited by Lee4Life

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They should be able to spot the camps from above by the mountain of trash they produce, I expect all the local Thais have nice cheap labour too for that rubber crop.

Not only by mountains of rash.

In many of these locations habitation is not allowed. Therefore the appropriate agencies should always be monitoring these areas.

Thailand has had good satellite capabilities for many years, surely the agencies concerned here have access to satellite imagery. If not / why not?

Is this another case of nobody with any brains at the helm to update the resources / equipment available to these agencies?

Or, is it a case of budgets approved but funds disappeared?

Just so unlucky, finding them after they are emptied, eh?

Ah well, never mind, better luck next time.

Or the next.

Or the next.

Ad infinitum..........

Time to bring in the corpse sniffing dogs and search the area in and around this 'camp'. I'd say. More bodies will likely be found in the area.

Thailand was not to blame for the crisis, said Prayuth.

"This problem comes from abroad and not from us. To solve it we must look to the source because we are merely a transit country," he said.

Glad they sorted that out quickly then

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/07/us-thailand-rohingya-trafficking-idUSKBN0NS0CN20150507

"I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale!"

Not sure they have what it takes to get into Yale--Harvard maybe--but not Yale. Then again, it would be nice to have such a well-educated police force.

Seriously, though... Caesar Prayuth might be able to go after the rotten apples among the police, but he must tread carefully when dealing with the army. They're his only real 'friends', and if he alienates the wrong people there, he could find himself out of a job (to put it nicely).

Remember this headline from 2 days ago:

Thai Army chief says no army officer engaged in Rohinya human trafficking

To some people lying come as naturally as breathing...................

In an area where the army is in control, and the only organisation capable of fixing the logistics concerning so many refugees!!

First they build the camps, and when shit hits the fan, they "detect" them. Empty, because they have chased the poor refugees into the jungle.

Mr P, this is way more important than your meaningless fight for 80 bath lottery-prices!!

It now appears that several thousand Rohingya are on the move in boats or camps or have already completed their journey. As many as 100 police and local government officials may have at the least turned a blind eye. Police and local leaders are rarely corrupt in these numbers. There are some thugs and profiteers, of course, but we should know how big their role was in this? Was it the intention of so many people to deliberately starve or kill people? I doubt it.

Is it possible that this story is timely due to Thailand's seemingly desperate need to convince America to return Thailand to higher TIP status in June? Is it possible that the real story is about Rohingya rescuing themselves? Slow moving bureaucracy from either ASEAN countries or from IOM or UNHCR leaves Rohingya in danger of possible genocide, in my opinion. This is a clear case where the issue is migration, not criminal justice. Bad guys need to be brought to justice but the real issue is safe migration of an endangered minority.