Thailand never fails to amaze ! Car test.

The Car tax was due on my Toyota Vigo, and apparently because it is now 7 yr old it has to have a "test".

Thinking that it would be something similar to an MOT type test in the Uk, I prepared myself for what I thought was going to be a heavy hit (being a ferang and all that).and checked the car etc before taking it in.

Off to the "testing station" no appointment, drove straight in, was guided to an enclosed area. I got out and took a seat. Interested to see what and how they performed this test. The entire test, including paying and getting the paperwork..........5 minutes !!!!

They tested the ffront brakes on a roller, same for the rear, then the hand-brake. Shoved a gas analyser up the tail pipe.

Tried the indicators, and beeped the horn. Visual inspection of the tyres as he walked around. Finished,

Total price 200baht Amazing Thailand.

Hi H,

Thanks for that, Last year my wife said she would see a friend and get it done,no problem. We did as she said,all ok the test and tax cost nearly 8k !! sure we got Thaid

The tax for my 4x4 is 3,300tb so the test was very much over the top.

The good point is, that these guys go to the LTO for you and clear the taxes. Even though this takes just about 15 minutes here in Phuket, it is still quite inconvenient to drive across the island to the office. Well worth the extra 100 Baht tip I always give.

OP, why amazing Thailand?

What is the difference between this test and the MOT test back in the UK?

Because they have a big list with many ticks you think that they are doing a better check up in the UK?

Brakes, tyres and exhaust fumes is the main points to check, here and there.

Because they have a big list with many ticks you think that they are doing a better check up in the UK?

Well the thing is that most over here are always trying not to be ripped of ( Thaid) as this seems to run in the culture. Even the Thais themselves fall for the

bull. We tend to be a bit wiser,but Thai wives and their loss of face cost a great deal of cash.

That makes it amazing Thailand,as in the UK non of this would go on,and would turn out cheaper in the long run

Off coarse they do a better, and more importantly, a more accurate test in the UK.

How many vehicles do you see here that pump out heavy black smoke from the

exhaust pipe?

How many vehicles do you see with bald tyres?

They would all be MOT failures in the UK, but here they are all passed, mostly without being

inspected, and those that are inspected with clean emission readings have their readings

duplicated to be used for all the ones that are failures. ( obviously with a nice tip to the test

station).

The whole thing is a farce, which in turn becomes another method for corruption, instead of

actually improving road vehicle safety.

The good point is, that these guys go to the LTO for you and clear the taxes. Even though this takes just about 15 minutes here in Phuket, it is still quite inconvenient to drive across the island to the office. Well worth the extra 100 Baht tip I always give.

Many places where the testing can be done, no need to drive across the whole island.

Off coarse they do a better, and more importantly, a more accurate test in the UK.

How many vehicles do you see here that pump out heavy black smoke from the

exhaust pipe?

How many vehicles do you see with bald tyres?

They would all be MOT failures in the UK, but here they are all passed, mostly without being

inspected, and those that are inspected with clean emission readings have their readings

duplicated to be used for all the ones that are failures. ( obviously with a nice tip to the test

station).

The whole thing is a farce, which in turn becomes another method for corruption, instead of

actually improving road vehicle safety.

You might find that a lot of those vehicles belching black smoke, bald tyres etc, are in fact unregistered (no tax sticker), I've seen pickups in Pattaya with doors held on by rope, broken springs etc that have no tax sticker displayed. If they get pulled over they just pay the 200 baht and they go on their way. Those vehicle owners aren't worried about a silly thing like a vehicle check when they probably don't have a drivers licence or insurance either.

Edited by giddyup

The test is about making money, nothing else....well it has to be when you see vehicles like this on a public road!

attachicon.gif002 (2).JPG

Do you honestly believe that the owner of that vehicle is going to bother to have it inspected? As I said above, it's probably unregistered (untaxed) and uninsured and the driver unlicenced.

Remember all the testing stations are owned by Thai insurance companies who want you to buy the minimum cover from them each time you go. Why do you think they always pass the vehicles.

I usually get a free hand towel and two drinking glasses thrown in at our local T.O.R. It is indeed a great service.

(If your vehicle is less than 7 years old you can still take your green book to the test site and they will get your tax from the Transport office, just pay for the mandatory insurance and another 110 Baht or so for the fee, saves the hassle of driving to the main office - you don't even need to take the vehicle!)

What you didn't mention is (or probably know). If you think that's a good one, here's an added fact...if they had found something wrong, they would have told you what they found.....and still passed it.

Edited by dotpoom

When your car is 7 years old, you need to go check it before you can pay for government tax. They do it all at the same office, check for 200 bath + tax.

They go pay it for you for 100 bath extra.

Easy and cheap.

I feel ripped off, they never test my brakes or did an emision test.

Butthey did put it on the rollers, the rear wheels, when asked what are they testing for, said checking the speedo, er, but no one was any where near the front of the car at all. It took a toat of 10 mins, 300b and "free" golf umbreela with no brand or advertising on it.

A complete joke.

Hi H,

Thanks for that, Last year my wife said she would see a friend and get it done,no problem. We did as she said,all ok the test and tax cost nearly 8k !! sure we got Thaid

That's what friends are for in LOS stich you up BIG time whistling.gif

I was at a testing station last year waiting my turn; an old pick-up in front of me. Brake lights and turn signal not working and the rear left wheel had no braking power on the dynamo-meter test.

No problem, the lady paid the fee and the pick-up passed the test ! TIT

I was at a testing station last year waiting my turn; an old pick-up in front of me. Brake lights and turn signal not working and the rear left wheel had no braking power on the dynamo-meter test.

No problem, the lady paid the fee and the pick-up passed the test ! TIT

Maybe the law is that your car has to be tested at 7 years,,,, but it doesn't have to pass.

Seems reasonable. In the UK it's just a ploy to get as many old cars off the road. The Thai test is probably as good as it should be and as your Vigo is streets ahead of everything else, the Test Men didn't need to look much further!

I recently had a similar situation. A year ago I took my motorbike to the Pattaya Honda shop on Soi Thepruset to get the "tabs/insurance" renewed . At that time the bike was 6 or 7 years old. They took my bike somewhere and about 30 minutes later they brought it back. The rear brakes were horribly mis-adjusted but I turned right around and they straightened them up. I was given back my green book that day and got the new proof of insurance about a week later.

THIS year I took it to a Honda shop in Chonburi. They took my green book and said I'd get it back in about a month. They gave me a copy of the important pages of the green book, nothing else. Anyone know what that's all about?

The test is about making money, nothing else....well it has to be when you see vehicles like this on a public road!

attachicon.gif002 (2).JPG

I can't see anything wrong with that, what's the problem? Oh wait, I spotted it, he is over width.

Edited by paulchiangmai

Hi H,

I'm afraid it sounds like it was "you" not "we" who got "Thaid"

I recently had a similar situation. A year ago I took my motorbike to the Pattaya Honda shop on Soi Thepruset to get the "tabs/insurance" renewed . At that time the bike was 6 or 7 years old. They took my bike somewhere and about 30 minutes later they brought it back. The rear brakes were horribly mis-adjusted but I turned right around and they straightened them up. I was given back my green book that day and got the new proof of insurance about a week later.

THIS year I took it to a Honda shop in Chonburi. They took my green book and said I'd get it back in about a month. They gave me a copy of the important pages of the green book, nothing else. Anyone know what that's all about?

Well did you get it back ???????