Four Nigerians arrested in online love scam

Thaivisa News

nigerians.png

CREDIT: dailynews.co.th/

Pathum Thani:- Four Nigerian men have found that the same old trick of impersonating handsome farang and parcel of gift mailing still worked on certain Thai women.

The only problem was that the trick led to their arrest by tourist police soon after.

The arrest of the four Nigerians was announced by Tourist Police Division Commander Pol Maj Gen Apichai Thiamart at his division head office at 11 am Friday.

The four suspects were paraded at the press conference. They were identified as Elijah Okuderi, 31, David Chukwudi, 31, Amaeru Chicollins Ndubuisi, 29 and Ibenarima Ejiroghene Owugan, 31.

They were arrested at their rented house in Prueksa 20 housing estate in Tambon Khukod of Pathum Thani’s Lam Lukka district.

Apichai told the press conference that the tourist police made the arrest following a complaint by a Thai woman in April.

The victim, whose name was withheld, told police that she met a man online via chat application and the man claimed to be a white American, called Kelvin David.

After a while, the man told her that he had mailed her a parcel through a transport firm. Later on, a woman called her, saying she worked for an international transport firm that handled a parcel that was sent to her.

The woman also mailed her a photo of the parcel and told her that she needed to pay Bt160,000 for customs clearance. She transferred the money to her and found out later that she was deceived.

Apichai said his subordinates carried out an investigation and found out that the farang David was actually Okuderi. Police obtained an arrest warrant against him and his accomplices on April 25.

Okuderi said he used to play for Angthong AFC, a team of Thai League Division 1, but he later suffered a knee injury so he decided to form an online scam with his three friends.

Police are still hunting for the Thai woman accomplice.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What with all the major crime, corruption, human trafficking, and counterfeit property racketeering in Thailand, another petty bust makes the headline news. Thais just don't get it. They perceive that throwing flack up, they will win world consensus that they are fighting crime in Thailand and making groundbreaking major busts.

The victim, whose name was withheld, told police that she met a man online via chat application and the man claimed to be a white American, called Kelvin David.

It makes me feel quite nostalgic for the good old days of Prince Abubu sending me personal emails every morning, promising to share his palace that was brimming with gold bullion and fine raiments for me to wear as I swanned gracefully around the palace gardens. I liked all that, it was exotic and romantic, and made me feel like I was really special every time I went to read my emails.

This Kelvin David and gift parcel business, will never come close to those fond memories I have of Prince Abubu.

coffee1.gif

After a while, the man told her that he had mailed her a parcel through a transport firm. Later on, a woman called her, saying she worked for an international transport firm that handled a parcel that was sent to her.

The woman also mailed her a photo of the parcel and told her that she needed to pay Bt160,000 for customs clearance. She transferred the money to her and found out later that she was deceived.

This scam only worked because even the Thai people know the customs department is corrupt to its core, and this is exactly how customs officials operate.

What with all the major crime, corruption, human trafficking, and counterfeit property racketeering in Thailand, another petty bust makes the headline news. Thais just don't get it. They perceive that throwing flack up, they will win world consensus that they are fighting crime in Thailand and making groundbreaking major busts.

What's petty about it? A person is scammed out of B60,000, not an insignificant sum, at least to me. She deserves protection and justice as much as anybody else does.

Being naive is not a crime. There are not very many of us who have not victimized ourselves with love's or lust's blinders.

This scam is run on an ongoing basis, targeting users on DATE in ASIA along with other similar dating sites. They put up a false express company website that looks quite genuine with what appears to be active package tracking and probably target 100 or so women at a time. They usually claim to be offshore oil workers who are in transit to Thailand, thus unable to pay the custom fees. They promise to pay back double the requested amount. I have known several girls who were targeted.

I am sure these 4 guys are just parts of a much larger ring. This scam is very well organized.

"The woman also mailed her a photo of the parcel and told her that she needed to pay Bt160,000 for customs clearance. She transferred the money to her and found out later that she was deceived."

What did she think was in the parcel?

That is a fairly significant chunk of change to cough up for a gift parcel.

Edited by Bluespunk

"The woman also mailed her a photo of the parcel and told her that she needed to pay Bt160,000 for customs clearance. She transferred the money to her and found out later that she was deceived."

What did she think was in the parcel?

That is a fairly significant chunk of change to cough up for a gift parcel.

She was told there was Bt160,500 in the parcel.

Stand by for emails asking for help - he will have a bank account with a vast amount of money in it, but will not be able to access it because he is held on remand in prison in Thailand. Now if you only send his friend your bank details, he will transfer the money to your account.......

How and why Nigerians get visas here is amazing. One thing my wife pointed out is there aren't many around Pattaya/Jontien. I noticed tons around soi 4 in Bkk tho.

Didn't you read about the recent promotion of 6 immigration officers stationed at Sadao?

More officers around the country also deserve promotion.

Edited by trogers

I'm just wondering if David was a sort of " jump out of the box" clown, who prefers to travel by post. thumbsup.gif

What's petty about it? A person is scammed out of B60,000, not an insignificant sum, at least to me. She deserves protection and justice as much as anybody else does.

Being naive is not a crime. There are not very many of us who have not victimized ourselves with love's or lust's blinders.

This scam is run on an ongoing basis, targeting users on DATE in ASIA along with other similar dating sites. They put up a false express company website that looks quite genuine with what appears to be active package tracking and probably target 100 or so women at a time. They usually claim to be offshore oil workers who are in transit to Thailand, thus unable to pay the custom fees. They promise to pay back double the requested amount. I have known several girls who were targeted.

I am sure these 4 guys are just parts of a much larger ring. This scam is very well organized.

Actually it was B 160,000

What with all the major crime, corruption, human trafficking, and counterfeit property racketeering in Thailand that is being investigated and brought to courts as it must be, there is no other way you would know about it, surely congratulations are due to those involved instead of your chronically tedious, repetitive attacks. I wonder if you are a Nigerian scammer?

This was not headline news anywhere and scams and frauds are not petty crime.

I'm surprised that you didn't ask whether the police had nothing better to do.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Delighted to see them getting caught.. Now deport them back to their own country and blacklist their passports to Thailand..

As for the Thai lady transferring THB 160,000 on basis of a picture.. ??? Well that is just plain stupid....

...what is the difference when it is in person....

...Thai woman....foreign man.....

...'so handsome'....'love you forever'.....

...sign here......

...the difference is that Thai women are getting away with it......

I just love these reporters that have no imagination. They never thought to question the police about the account the money was transferred to and whether or not there was still any money in it or whose name was on the account or whether or not their would be any attempt to retrieve some of this lady's money and the same for anyone else these disgusting humans scammed. Also, as someone else said, just to be thorough, what was the status of their visas. What might the outcome be of a conviction.

Pathetic reporting.

we all want to know what was (supposedly) in the box? what was sooooooo enticing that she handed over 160,000bt to get her hands on it?

was it diamond encrusted ipads????

iphones that never need charging???

or a bowl of somtum that nevers empties...???

Hmmmmm....I believe those African dudes are amongst the same Nigerian guys selling the drugs around Sukhumvite road.

Internet scamming is probably a small but lucrative sideline business of theirs.

Just imagine how they were boasting to their African buddies how they have them dumb Thai women falling all over themselves for the handsome man routine.

Singing a different tune now...oh yes they are.

Cheers

Thai woman gets scammed and it makes national news ... oh the horrors of it, how could anyone be so inhumane, uncaring and deceitful?

Thai woman scams farang ... now real mention of it in the news because of the frequency and the police certainly don't give a crap in and many cases are in on the scam.

Thai woman gets scammed and it makes national news ... oh the horrors of it, how could anyone be so inhumane, uncaring and deceitful?

Thai woman scams farang ... now real mention of it in the news because of the frequency and the police certainly don't give a crap in and many cases are in on the scam.

Just one of the many aspects of living and loving in........ la la Land