Visa Rules Will Be Tightened To Stop Abuse

lung

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meet one germany guy who married a thai lady and it was only require that he had to have an income of 20,000 per month when he first apply for a marriage. that requirement has changed twice since ive been here, how he has to have a income of 400,000

i'myself actually had a marriage visa when the requirement was only 200,000, now it is 400,000.

Wrong! The required monthly income has changed from 20K per month to 40K per month.

The amounts of 200K and 400K refer to the required bank account balance, not income, for people without declared income, at the time of application for extension.

but i have change over to a retirement visa, because it takes me less time to get the stamp in Chiang Mai, but then i have to show a income of 800.000.
Wrong! Once a year, when you apply for your extension of stay, you have to show a bank account balance of at least 800K, not income.

Don’t tell me you’ve been in Thailand all these years and don’t know the difference between income and bank account balance

---------------

Maestro

I live in CM and there must be hundreds, if not thousands of foreigners living here that do this. Do the Thai government not want these people spending money in LOS?

no they dont and rightly so....if you are on a perpetual rotating tourist visa run (or perpetual visa exempt re-entry merry-go-round), then you are cheating the system and have no right to complain if the authorities decide to stop the cheating (even if you are supporting three buffalos and an entire bar)....

get the right visa and get legal :o not fair to those who comply with the system and take the time and expense to comply.....

cheating the system?!? with such a byzantine system subject to the whim of a few malinformed myrmidons - what's there to cheat? Dems dat got should not look down on dems dat are strugglin' to stay in Thailand by whatever means - even if at the fringes of legality. Overall, foreigners do a lot more good for Thailand than the Thai do for themselves - and foreigners certainly bring in tubloads of outside money.

Well, if you are wealthy and under 50 you could try for the 3 million baht investment visa.

Does a property costing over 3 million count? If it's in joint names and worth say 6 million does that mean your partner can also benefit? Sooo many questions!!

Well, if you are wealthy and under 50 you could try for the 3 million baht investment visa.

People have their reasons for not going that route, I know I do. Livinlos has his I am sure

Not least of which being its a pretty piss poor rate of return for 75k USD of capital..

Personally I have obtained a non o the last couple of years but the fact is I shouldnt be given one.. We are talking about the letter of the law not 'what can be done'..

There is no suitable visa for young wealthy people who can be an asset to the country, and annoying holier than thou TV posters loudly telling everyong its simple to just get legal doesnt change that.

Does a property costing over 3 million count? If it's in joint names and worth say 6 million does that mean your partner can also benefit? Sooo many questions!!

Condo in your name costing (not valued at) >3mill or invested into specific gov bonds / savings account..

It would be a confusion between real visa on arrival, and the exemption of visa (for countries like europe, US etc.) ?

:o

i think it's about 3 times borderrun (3 entry in one piece) and then :D

bai gap ban :D or not ?

:D

No Its not about 3 times border run.

From what I'm reading its stating that the 30 day visa on arrival will be extended twice within Thailand hence there will be no border run.

At that point presumably you're leaving the country to return to your own at which point no doubt you can return on same visa basis after a "certain period" of time ??

Chivas

Certain situation make it hard or impossible to get the right visa. Me for instance, I do not work in Thailand but I have income from my investments and business abroad. I am 24 years old and I do not qualify for the retirement visa.
Do you visit your business abroad at least once a year? Then you should be able to get a multiple-entry non-O visa from a service-oriented Thai consulate in your home country.

Alternatively, you have the option of putting some of your investment (3 million Baht) in Thailand and get a non-IM visa, with annual extensions.

Two choices of the “right visa”

And then, consider what options a Thai national in the same situation has in your home country.

---------------

Maestro

Back on page 3 of this thread, Sunbelt Asia made the best comment:

This is about John Mark Carr [embarrassing Thailand] and it's an election year [some Thais only love Thais].

Since the article as written makes very little sense as to rule changes, I'm looking at the top officer's words. He's against repeated border runners. That includes teachers and non-teachers, young and old.

Please, folks, do not assume it's easy for a teacher to be legal here. It is extremely difficult.

Next, for alarmists and speculators and gossip mongers: this might cause Thai schools to simply have half the half-qualified English teachers that the Thai schools need to teach Thai students. It's Thailand's problem, too.

I didn't count on so many knickers getting twisted today! What a rude awakening for those of you who think Thailand should be all and everything you demand of it. I'll bet more than a few corn-flakes and toast were ruined this morning with this news. :D

As so many have pointed out, soooooo many times........there're countless, legal options for you to stay here and to actually start paying some tax (and make a real contribution to this country you claim you love so much).

Perhaps, if you can even speak a modicum of Thai, pop down to your nearest immigration bureau and see how accomodating most of them are to your needs. Just leave the attitude at the front door.

Stop bitching and get legal. What a bunch of whingers. I for one, am delighted. :D

Certain situation make it hard or impossible to get the right visa. Me for instance, I do not work in Thailand but I have income from my investments and business abroad. I am 24 years old and I do not qualify for the retirement visa.
Do you visit your business abroad at least once a year? Then you should be able to get a multiple-entry non-O visa from a service-oriented Thai consulate in your home country.

Alternatively, you have the option of putting some of your investment (3 million Baht) in Thailand and get a non-IM visa, with annual extensions.

Two choices of the “right visa”

And then, consider what options a Thai national in the same situation has in your home country.

---------------

Maestro

I would love to be in my wife's postion for coming to the UK!

Okay, £300 for the visa - but after that she get's to stay for a year. Then applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain - she can then apply for a NI number and then has the same rights as I do in the UK. Free health-service, eligible for credit, can own property. She doesn't have to bring in an amount of money every month that is almost 10 times more than minimum wage.

After 3 years she can then apply for UK citizenship and can carry a UK passpost and all the benfits that are afforded from that.

I didn't count on so many knickers getting twisted today! What a rude awakening for those of you who think Thailand should be all and everything you demand of it. I'll bet more than a few corn-flakes and toast were ruined this morning with this news. :D

As so many have pointed out, soooooo many times........there're countless, legal options for you to stay here and to actually start paying some tax (and make a real contribution to this country you claim you love so much).

Perhaps, if you can even speak a modicum of Thai, pop down to your nearest immigration bureau and see how accomodating most of them are to your needs. Just leave the attitude at the front door.

Stop bitching and get legal. What a bunch of whingers. I for one, am delighted. :D

Welcome to Thai Visa!

What a lovely first post - I look forward to more of the same :o

From what I'm reading its stating that the 30 day visa on arrival will be extended twice within Thailand hence there will be no border run.

Chivas

see post nr. 56

3 times...

Edited by lung

While I know what your saying

1) there are very few places that actually issues these.. Many Euro countries have none

2) its not a correct visa is it ?? Following the law there is no visa (without a bad return on 3 mil)..

At that point presumably you're leaving the country to return to your own at which point no doubt you can return on same visa basis after a "certain period" of time ??

Chivas

Thats the way I read it as well. By the looks of things the "New" regulations would make extending a visa at an immigration office easier, with a longer period of time (30 days as opposed to current 10 days) renewable twice. It is also possible that people who currently have to get a 15 day VOA will at the very least have a considerable number of immigration offices they can go to in order to get the visa,(Chiang Rai etc) which would be better for Chinese tourist comings down on the boat from Yunnan or travelling overland. Where there would be a clampdown is on visa run's to bordering countries.

Good points Gonzo and Jean!!! If you want to stay, just get yourself sorted out legally . . . . .

G

Gee, why so much fuss about a tourist visa. A tourist visa can be 60 days. Seems more than enough for a holiday.

And people wanting to stay longer, ask a non immigrant visa.

And if you are here and you are not a tourist, well obvious you did something wrong in planning for a visa.

If you support someone get a 1 year visa. If you work get a business visa and a work permit. No excuses.

Jean, you must understand the loudest protesters are those here who will not admit that they are the ones who want the immigration laws to bend for them. and they offer all kinds of excuses ,,, spending lots of money here, supporting 10 families and 3 buffalo, etc... Those protesters can still stay, but they would have to get the correct visa to stay the way they are entitled to. The law here says they cannot live here forever on a tourist visa. Simple.

There are a multitude of visa types to allow you to stay. If you do not wish to apply for the correct visa, or cannot afford the proper visa , well then in that case don't blame the immigration people for saying you are here illegally.

Thats life all over the world. Complainers don't complain if you do not fit the rules. Use the rules to work for you. In the end it will be better for all.

Dont we just love Thailand and Thais with all the problems they make for us so we dont get to lazy :o

Ha! Ha! Ha! all the whingers are out in force. There are those rich people supporting half of Isan but unable to afford a 1 year visa (if over 50) or a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa or non-o (if under 50). Both these avenues are far cheaper than the constant border runs required by the renewal of the 90 day stamps. It seems to me that whatever the laws of thailand there are those (constant whingers) who dont want to go back to their own countries but want to try and pretend that Thailand should somehow emulate their own countries.

In Europees country cost a visa over 150 Euro

a border run cost now 500 Bth = 10$

was 250 Bth = 5$

so I have more money left to support my family

btw you also have to pay for your ticket to Europa = about 30000 Bth

You under stand now?

read the article again. The article is talking about Visa On Arivals (VOA) that is available for 20 countries. educate yourself here. And it is a fair assessment to believe they are also talking about the Visa Exempt Stamp (30 Days Stamp Entry) because of the refference to 41 countries and the lenght of stay that such stamp provides.

Keep your ASSumptions to yourself.

:D :D

ok... only for you again (24?) :o

===

However, some foreigners including tourists ''tiptoe around the law'' by resorting to so-called visa runs to extend their stay. Most take a bus to a border, check out of the country and then return the same day to have the VOA renewed.

They repeat the practice as many times as they wish, affording them almost unlimited stay in the country.

Pol Lt-Gen Suwat said the change of the VOA rules is in order.

In future, foreigners from those 41 countries will be able to stay in the country for 30 days from the first VOA stamp, which will be renewable twice at most, each time for a maximum of 30 days. In other words, a foreigner will be permitted to remain in Thailand for no longer than 90 days in total after three VOA stamps.

The commissioner said the current system is prone to abuse as many foreign nationals make numerous visa runs so they can stay on long term to do business. In some cases, they have gone unregulated, causing social problems.

===

this are the 30 day - runner ...

You just described what I have been saying all along. I was pointing to your fumbling about the "Tourist Visa Runners" when the articles does not mention anything about those. In times of confusions when not having all the facts - an old man like yourself (50+?) should know to be more careful with his assumptions.

she can then apply for a NI number and then has the same rights as I do in the UK. Free health-service, eligible for credit, can own property. She doesn't have to bring in an amount of money every month that is almost 10 times more than minimum wage.

After 3 years she can then apply for UK citizenship and can carry a UK passpost and all the benfits that are afforded from that.

and she will get some money from the goverment :D

and all 30days borderrun ? i think not :D

Edited by lung

I dont believe any changes are going to happen at all but..

Can you just imagine the immigration lines.. Somchai sitting in his chair.. Leafing through your entire passport.. examining every page and every stamp in detail... Finding all the thai stamps.. Mentally tallying the most recent 12 months (or will it be calender year, from end of or start of the first stamp), finding all the relevant entry chops.. Before he can decide to issue you a chop and start to do the camera stuff..

The queues will extend to Singapore..

And before anyone even thinks about this new immigration super computer network its a joke.. Cant even cope with me having 2 passports properly..

In fact thinking, I have dual nationality so can actually carry 4 passports.. Somchais gonna have a field day leafing through to fin my entries..