Visa Rules Will Be Tightened To Stop Abuse

lung

You just described what I have been saying all along. I was pointing to your fumbling about the "Tourist Visa Runners" when the articles does not mention anything about those. In times of confusions when not having all the facts - an old man like yourself (50+?) should know to be more careful with his assumptions.

again ?? :o

when you read YOUR post u can't find TOURISTVISA ok...

touristclass/30days ok ?

and this was same one more or so...

example :

tourist 30days... 3 times

touristvisa 60 days ... 3 times ( u think it's unlimited?)

other visa 90 days ... 3 times

MAYBE :D

understand now ???

===

but....

ok your right... i to lazy....

:D

Edited by lung

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness :D

Far more entertaining than the drivel on UBC this afternoon. A right-royal slanging match is about to ensue. (He says hopefully) :o

They used to say when America sneezes, the world gets pneumonia.

All a Thai immigration honcho has to do is give a cryptic vague interview to the farang press, and hes got us all wondering if the sky is falling.

Good fun! (For him anyway.)

I knew that John Karr madman was bad news ...

Edited by Thaiquila

as with all such directives that come from on high, the interpretation will be rife with subjectivity.

Two scenarios:

1. Joe Blo buys a few beers and takes them to visit his immigration official friend one evening. They exchange niceties, inquire about families and jobs, then the farang asks; "I heard about a change in the immigration rules, will that farce me and my Thai wife and child to be deported." the kindly official laughs, "of course not, you won't have a worry in the world!"

2. Joe Blo is coming across a border into Thailand. He's sweaty, tired, and eager to just get home to be with his family in Chiang Mai. ....and he's hoping to get a 4th 30-day visa extension. The border official frowns while leafing through Joe's passport and directs Joe to go to a special room to start deportation procedures. Joe mentions his Thai wife, the wife's family that he just built a house for, the child, the 30,000 baht he has in his pocket, ....all to no avail. The immigration official has been told earlier by his superiors that he clamp down on wayward farang. Joe is booted out.

Regardless of what rules get put on the books, there are two things for certain:

A. the rules won't be consistently applied. Different officials/Entry points will apply them in different ways. It's always been that way, and there's no reason to suspect there to be any changes.

B. The rules will be subject to the whims of the officials. If a farang does a border crossing dressed neatly, that's added points. If he does a border crossing with his Thai wife in toe, additional points. If the farang and his Thai wife reek of money - it's guaranteed he won't get in trouble. Additional points awarded dropping names of important Thai people, and also for children in toe.

I have one farang friend who carries a card around in his wallet with the name and seal of someone close to the royal family. He says he's used that tattered card to get out of many uncomfortable encounters with Thai officials. We should all be so lucky.

This is a huge problem for people who are a bit dodgy. People who spend there lives ducking and diving.

Most normal people would go to a site like thaiVisa .com read the rules. Work-out how those rules effect there lifestyle then work within the thai immigration rules and get on with there lives.

What is the problem?

I have a friend who can’t work out why they won’t give him a “1 year non B” in panang. Wants to write a letter of complaint to some government office or other. Its worked ok for 3 years but now it won’t. went into loads of details. Bores the pants off me...

My situation is that I make a trip the UK now once a year. The main reason is get my Non-B visa (but I tie other things in as well, visit the family etc.). Its so easy in your home country. The service in the UK is fantastic. I send my passport on a Monday its back by Wednesday. How do they do that? Its simply wonderful.

Write a letting saying you are going to Thailand to research Issan music, or tuk-tuk fuel consumtion, traditional basket weaving. Any bloody thing in other words.

The Thai government doesn’t consider how many thai’s you are supporting. They are not a nanny state. There are rules. Play by them and don’t listen to bar stool philosophers.

Are the people the make such a song and dance about the visa laws people that can’t go home because of fear of arrest? I just cannot work-out what the problem is.

Just talked to my friend at Pattaya Immigration. Looks like it is a serious move and will be enforced. It came by a certain surprise, because should be announced later this year to avoid high season panic. Looks like folks in BKK do not care much. 90 days maximum stay is not something new for those who being in Japan and few other countries in Asia. Thanks got i have 1 year work permit and B visa with it! Others beware...

And to go with all the Offshore oil guys I know..

What about the well heeled Sing or HK expat.. Likes to have the odd shopping or weekender in BKK..

Is immigration really going to say after his 3rd weekend that year that hes not allowed another 2 days ???

Get real.. Forget this topic.. aint happening !!

And then, consider what options a Thai national in the same situation has in your home country.

---------------

Maestro

I would love to be in my wife's postion for coming to the UK!

Okay, £300 for the visa - but after that she get's to stay for a year. Then applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain - she can then apply for a NI number and then has the same rights as I do in the UK. Free health-service, eligible for credit, can own property. She doesn't have to bring in an amount of money every month that is almost 10 times more than minimum wage.

After 3 years she can then apply for UK citizenship and can carry a UK passpost and all the benfits that are afforded from that.

Yep, I agree with U, man.

My former wife's 90-day tourist visa for Germany was about to expire with no chance of getting it re-newed... But simply showing a paper from a doc, stating she's 1st month pregnant made the authorities give her a 1- year visa & the right to marry. PERIOD !

Now my problem in LOS is that I have a legal daughter with dual citizenship (thai & german), have a significant amount of money to spend, but am too young (32 yrs.) to apply for a retiree's visa.

As someone statet already...if U R young + rich, U'll hv trouble getting a visa.

I think it is best to sit back for a few days until the story is sorted out. It looks from the outside just a paper plan to deal with abusers. If it has any real functionality will be at the border and with the occasional passport check. Other than that the people who abuse the system don’t make visa runs and stay hidden in plain sight. Passport sweeps will be the only way to root out the problem people. This is not to untypical if what is done in the states. Just keep a copy of your passport and visa on hand. I suspect only certain parts of Bangkok will be swept like China town and so on. Other than that I would not worry too much if you are on the 41 country list.

I'm not sure that is very wise. If you are caught on overstay - not at the airport - the ramifications are pretty medieval!

Although it doesn't affect me I imagine that this is going to make a lot of people up sticks and go live somewhere else - I've heard that Cambodia and Vietnam are getting more popular.

I live in CM and there must be hundreds, if not thousands of foreigners living here that do this. Do the Thai government not want these people spending money in LOS?

You have successfully decoded the message. Yesterday there was news of a clamp down on larger foreign owned meg-stores. In May there was a clamp down on foreign home ownership. We don't bring the money into the country and give it to the people the Urban Professional wants us to give it to. We have a tendency to empower the poor and that is in the long run, bad for the country at least in the eyes of those same Urban Professionals. If Thais really wanted our money here, they would not have asked the United States to leave in 1975. I was here when we received the word and being young an naive, I couldn't imagine why the Thai government wanted to lose about $10 billion a year. We were empowering the poor and that was throwing the many hundred year-old Thai way of doing business out of kelter. They are again cleaning up their mess. Don't spend any money here you can't afford to lose and don't for a minute, think your money is important to anybody other than your current GF and her family.

I think you will find that this will affect the non genuine tourists, ie visa runners who do 12 runs a year.

Thai immigration officials will be given a certain amount leeway on how to interpret this.

The genuine tourists who leave and go HOME (and spent more than 2000 baht to get in and out of the country) and then come back after a reasonable length of time will be allowed more than 3, 1 month stays in a year.

I would imagine the same will go for the month on month off oil workers who have shown that they have left and gone back to work and then are genuine tourists again.

So all you teachers without work permits and you ebayers sitting in internet cafes working illegally should start worrying as you are the ones they are after.

You guys who leave for 10 minutes every 30 days are not really on the right visa, and there are alternatives such as an O visa where you leave every 90 days and will in effect last you 15 months if you plan your trips correctly. Work Permit if you are carrying on a genuine business, a retirement Visa or a marriage visa if you are married.

The fact is if you can’t afford one of these then you really can't afford to be here.

As another poster said try getting multiple tourist visa's month on month year on year if you are a Thai national in your home country.

This has been on the cards for a while and I think if it is implemented properly it is a good thing.

Illegals pay no tax or national insurance, yes I know you all support the whole village but you should be doing it legally on the right visa.

Why anyone surprised at this I am baffled, my only surprise is is they have let it slip for the last 20 years.

Have you ever noticed how when you help some one for years and years and then stop you are suddenly a b@stard for stopping not a great guy for helping for the past years?

Edited by fourbaht

As another poster said try getting multiple tourist visa's month on month year on year if you are a Thai national in your home country.

I think that you'll find that in most Western countries being married to someone from that country actually counts for something and would make you eligible for residency.

as with all such directives that come from on high, the interpretation will be rife with subjectivity.

Two scenarios:

1. Joe Blo buys a few beers and takes them to visit his immigration official friend one evening. They exchange niceties, inquire about families and jobs, then the farang asks; "I heard about a change in the immigration rules, will that farce me and my Thai wife and child to be deported." the kindly official laughs, "of course not, you won't have a worry in the world!"

2. Joe Blo is coming across a border into Thailand. He's sweaty, tired, and eager to just get home to be with his family in Chiang Mai. ....and he's hoping to get a 4th 30-day visa extension. The border official frowns while leafing through Joe's passport and directs Joe to go to a special room to start deportation procedures. Joe mentions his Thai wife, the wife's family that he just built a house for, the child, the 30,000 baht he has in his pocket, ....all to no avail. The immigration official has been told earlier by his superiors that he clamp down on wayward farang. Joe is booted out.

Regardless of what rules get put on the books, there are two things for certain:

A. the rules won't be consistently applied. Different officials/Entry points will apply them in different ways. It's always been that way, and there's no reason to suspect there to be any changes.

B. The rules will be subject to the whims of the officials. If a farang does a border crossing dressed neatly, that's added points. If he does a border crossing with his Thai wife in toe, additional points. If the farang and his Thai wife reek of money - it's guaranteed he won't get in trouble. Additional points awarded dropping names of important Thai people, and also for children in toe.

I have one farang friend who carries a card around in his wallet with the name and seal of someone close to the royal family. He says he's used that tattered card to get out of many uncomfortable encounters with Thai officials. We should all be so lucky.

Lucky..

In the 4 years of living here, I've never had any "uncomfortable encounters with Thai officials" Why on earth would anyone seriously consider carrying around such a homemade document. What sort of things do people get up to that they need to carry around such a bizarre item? Its laughable.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound so self righteous. Its just beyond me. Maybe its people that make lots of boarder crossings. What ever. I don’t get it. Never felt the need personally.

This is someone you know not you. I understand. “Mental”

I think that you'll find that in most Western countries being married to someone from that country actually counts for something and would make you eligible for residency.

If you read the context of my post I was not refering to marriage in your home country, my post was just stating that this will affect the people who abuse the current loop holes.

If you are married here then you can get a marriage visa, I know its not the same as residency and I know it costs, but your wife will not get residency in your home country I am sure unless you can prove you have funds to support her initially?

All I am saying is if you are not exploiting the current system then I would think you have not a great deal to worry about, if you are start worrying or looking at ways to get legal.. There are lots of them and there is one for most set of circumstances..

Edited by fourbaht

My situation is that I make a trip the UK now once a year. The main reason is get my Non-B visa (but I tie other things in as well, visit the family etc.). Its so easy in your home country. The service in the UK is fantastic. I send my passport on a Monday its back by Wednesday. How do they do that? Its simply wonderful.

Are the people the make such a song and dance about the visa laws people that can’t go home because of fear of arrest? I just cannot work-out what the problem is.

So you are here on the whim of the (farang) Honorary Consul in Hull in the UK. Each consulate and embassy seems to be a law unto themselves. Some like Hull and (formerly?) Penang hand out visas to almost everyone. Others do not. If Hull happens to change its policy or closes you will quickly find out what the problem is for others who need to deal with less flexible embassys or consulates. It would only take one newpaper article of a farang who got caught with a visa they got by mail order without leaving Thailand or a scare mongering polititian out for a few more votes to invent this or a similar situation.

Plenty of people fall through the cracks in the laws - this being the internet, telecommuters and IT contractors are particularly well represented in this forum. If you are lucky and have an understanding consulate worker at home and you contact them on a day they have the patience to listen to you explain the concept of telecommuting they might give you a 1 year type-O. Or you might be stuck on the 30 day tourist entry stamps or 60 day tourist visa.

Thankfully I'm now personally on a type-O as my wife is now a legal teacher here. It only took an entire 3 months for her to become legal due to all the paper shuffling and visits to various bits of the gov. I think the only English teachers who manage to be legal their entire stay are those who accept a (generally crap) job before they arrive in Thailand and stay there like a good indentured slave. Having seen the hoops the schools have to jump through I can understand why some of them don't bother unless they have been previously busted and have to be especially careful - the time and money wasted is quite breathtaking all for an incredibly common procedure and not every school wants to invest in a dedicated lawyer to deal with the process that winds its way through three seperate ministies multiple times.

Not that any of this matters yet - nothing has actually happened or changed apart from vague anouncements.

Just talked to my friend at Pattaya Immigration. Looks like it is a serious move and will be enforced. It came by a certain surprise, because should be announced later this year to avoid high season panic. Looks like folks in BKK do not care much. 90 days maximum stay is not something new for those who being in Japan and few other countries in Asia. Thanks got i have 1 year work permit and B visa with it! Others beware...

The question is : what happen when the foreigners spend his 1x90 days ?

He won't be able to return to Thailand for... how long ?

How they going to figure out ?

More thai complexity ahead...

If you are married here then you can get a marriage visa, I know its not the same as residency and I know it costs, but your wife will not get residency in your home country I am sure unless you can prove you have funds to support her initially?

Yes, but those funds would be amounts that are within reason (for the country). There is something wrong with a system that will only allow people to stay that can prove they will make 10-20 times more than the average wage. And, should my wife go the UK she will have rights.

Although this doesn't affect me, I'm concerned at what other (de-ranged) rule changes will come in after this.

I want to get a mortgage and buy a house - but with the current climate I feel that it is not a wise thing to do.

Yes, but those funds would be amounts that are within reason (for the country). There is something wrong with a system that will only allow people to stay that can prove they will make 10-20 times more than the average wage. And, should my wife go the UK she will have rights.

Although this doesn't affect me, I'm concerned at what other (de-ranged) rule changes will come in after this.

I want to get a mortgage and buy a house - but with the current climate I feel that it is not a wise thing to do.

I am not denying that some things are hard here, however this new change is not related to marriage or investing here. In my 10 years here my gut feeling is that if you do things the way they are supposed to be then you should not worry about investing.

I know often the way things are done and the requiremments seem way overboard but for me the other things that living in Thailand has to offer way out number the small inconvienence of adhereing to the rules and Thai ways.

Personally I'd much rather be here doing what I am doing (legally and with all the red tape) than I would back in the UK with the problems and BS there.

We who are farangs are living on borrowed time here: visa regulations have changed, and will change many times again according to the whims of Thai business and perceived government interests. We are guests, never citizens, nor even permanent residents. We enter this kingdom knowing these rules. Even as paying guests we are in no position to complain or argue.

IMO the best plan is to secure a non-imm or retirement or working visa for your long-term stay, make the most of every day here, show respect for our hosts, DON'T buy real-estate unless you are prepared to forfeit it, and be prepared for the day when - like all guests (even wealthy ones) - we may have worn out our welcome.

Edited by fruittbatt

There is a lot of confusion over the details like what nationals may be affected, when it will happen, whether the change is actually approved, and what types of visas/entrys will be scrutinized. Thus, for now this thread seems wild speculation. I humbly ask that once this article is clarified in the press that a NEW thread be opened with the clarification and this one closed so we can analyze the facts better. This thread is going to go crazy and if any new information is posted in it, it will quickly get lost in the gazillion pages that will follow it with some commenting on the original and some on the new.

I don't see the point of following this thread other than the entertainment value because the article was a bit too vague and contradictory to draw any meaningful conclusions.

The commissioner said...
My analysis of the situation is that we do not know what the commissioner said, that the Bangkok Post reporter got it all wrong.

This is, of course, a great opportunity for speculation in various directions: “if the commissioner said this, then...”. In my opinion, the right thing to is:

1. Wait to read what the commissioner really said.

2. Wait to see what will really happen, which may likely be something quite different from what the commissioner said.

---------------

Maestro

We will contact the Immigration Bureau Commissioner personally tomorrow Monday and ask for clarification. Until then we can just speculate.

I called around a bit today as well, an my personal *guess* after what I have heard, is that a serious crackdown is underway for foreigners entering on 30-day entry stamps and 15-days VOA's. Max 3 such entries in a 365 day period will be tolerated.

Will let you know as I have more info. But it looks like the most likely scenario is bad news for border runners.

/George

I think you are way too optimistic Sunbelt, probably because you stayed here too long and were used to those thai classic tricks ("another one", you may think).

This "incident" in a english langage media is not the first one.

You can't deny that we had many changes, or subtle announcements of change the last months :

-the rule regarding registration and ownership of land

-the rule regarding the thai nominees, for company incorporation

-changes over amount of money required for specific visa

etc.

Thoses are way too subtles for "electoral purpose".

I mean, a TRT gvt can not impress Issan voters with rule for thai nominees within farang owned company, and the issue of 49 or 51 % blablabla... It makes no sense.

I mean : a bomb plot is much more efficient. :o

I believe that this is part of a plan. A large one. Thaksin's folie des grandeurs, who see himself as a leader with a mission : he wants to change Thailand into a large Singapore.

In this regard, sweet backpackers, cheap farang hippies who make visa runs every month... are not part of this ideal New Country.

Why the new directive?

Making some calls this morning and I'm getting two opinions:

1. Election year.

2.John Mark Karr

When they are looking at foreign teachers, a number of them are working illegally with a 30 day stamp. This will help force them to get a proper visa in order to stay and teach. Immigration then can keep tougher tabs. This opinion will be more valid if the directive turns out to be for the 41 countries that are now visa exempt for 30 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

There is a lot of confusion over the details like what nationals may be affected, when it will happen, whether the change is actually approved, and what types of visas/entrys will be scrutinized. Thus, for now this thread seems wild speculation. I humbly ask that once this article is clarified in the press that a NEW thread be opened with the clarification and this one closed so we can analyze the facts better. This thread is going to go crazy and if any new information is posted in it, it will quickly get lost in the gazillion pages that will follow it with some commenting on the original and some on the new.

I don't see the point of following this thread other than the entertainment value because the article was a bit too vague and contradictory to draw any meaningful conclusions.

My thoughts exactly.

This is my first time to Thailand and to long stay in Thailand. I received two tourist visa from Thailand embassy. I have found the long stay conditions in Thailand is very disappointing. First, the environment of this country is just appalling. I stayed in BKK for a few days and gave up and cannot find a street that is pedestrian friendly, and cannot find any fresh oxygen, also I don't see any reason to stay in this messy place for pleasure long stay.

I then tried Phuket and Samui, hoping to get some good quality long stay, but again was very disapoointed at the environment. The beach towns are so messy and unattractive, and traffic terrible, and over all the ambiente is not sanitary at all, and the cost for a nice comfortable long stay is quite high. I checked out the cost of the very limited choices of condos, and service apartments there, but the average prices of quality long stay there is much more expensive than other countries that offer much better environment and variety like Brazil, Argentina, Mexico ect.

After I stay in Thailand for my third month, and this is last month to use up my visa. I do not reccommend Thailand at all for long stay. There are probabaly many people reading all over the net looking for next destination for long stay, I went through here and checked out all the places and environments here in Thailand, and I only reccommend Thailand as a short trip destination.

After I read this visa situation, I further think this is a country without any system or planning. Thai people act on impulses not on thinking. I am early retiree of age 45, and I have long stayed in mostly Brazil, Mexico, and Aregntina, I never have concern about visa. Most of us can get in without visa for 90 days plus extendable another 90 days free charge in these countries. Also in these countries, long term stay is easily obtain without effort. These 3 countries are rational in visa laws, they want you to come, they know you will end up spending more money than paying for the visas. Thailand to me is very irrational country, they want to make money on the visas, at the same time, they want you to spend your tourist money. And making so many laws to prevent the 0.5 percent of the backpacker teachers. Very bad rational to me. I wonder if there are many people on the web board that are not familiar with other countries that are much more enviromental friendly and as well as visa friendly, and offer much more variety, I would reccommed Brazil, Mexico, and Argentina. Lots and lots of Europeans long stay there.

The cost of long stay and quality of long stay in all these 3 countries can beat Thailand by far. So I wonder why many people wasting so much times doing the visa runs in Thailand, and why not try other countries. I personally don't see why any one would stay Thailand without having a reason like working, family, lovers, and for other reasons like partying, monger, beaches, sun shine, enjoy life ect ect, I would much better want to be in Brazil, Argentina, or Mexico. And of course get back to the topic, without any worrys of visa for long stay.

bye bye

The cost of long stay and quality of long stay in all these 3 countries can beat Thailand by far. So I wonder why many people wasting so much times doing the visa runs in Thailand, and why not try other countries. I personally don't see why any one would stay Thailand without having a reason like working, family, lovers, and for other reasons like partying, monger, beaches, sun shine, enjoy life ect ect, I would much better want to be in Brazil, Argentina, or Mexico. And of course get back to the topic, without any worrys of visa for long stay.

With regard to Mexico, I'd strongly disagree, the quality of a long stay doesn't approach what you find in Thailand in terms of cost of living, sanitation, general hospitality, government corruption/transparency. Yes the visa is easier but that's about it.

The question is : what happen when the foreigners spend his 1x90 days ?

He won't be able to return to Thailand for... how long ?

How they going to figure out ?

More thai complexity ahead...

Thats why I say this isnt going to happen...

So they are going to go through all your multiple passports.. To find all the entry and exit dates.. Tally them up (remembering whether it was a leap year last year or Aug had 30 days) and do all of this before issueing an entry chop.. Rediculous and of course not.

No one has clarified if its 3 chops or many chops adding up to 90 days (the guys who fly in for the weekend as real tourists)..

And most visa regulations (like having an outbound ticket if not real visa etc) are checked and enforced before boarding.. Can you imagine every check in queue in the world also checking your 'previous total days in the last calender year' while weighing your bags.

Another badly thought out and impractical rule, poorly communicated..

Its not going to happen.. At least not the way already described.

My god, you people will worry yourselves to death.

At last count I have over 50 stamps into the country in my passport and never yet have had a problem either at the airport or at a border crossing. Thais want us here and there will always be a legal way to stay. Just follow the rules.

The articles is about unlimited extensions of Visa on Arrivals being limited to 3. If that happens at all, then you will be limited to three VOA extensions. There is nothing about outlawing visa runs or making it like the US, where no matter what visa (my family has 10 year multi entry visas), they can only spend 180 days per year in the US.

The revolving door will always be open in you just follow the rules and leave when you have to and come back when you want.

What could be more friendly than that?

One final thing: when have the newspapers ever got it right the first time? ... Never!

When you are in a position to really live in Thailand year round, get a non-immigrant visa on any of the visa offerings made by the Thai government: supporting family, retirement, etc., etc.

Mike

Now my problem in LOS is that I have a legal daughter with dual citizenship (thai & german), have a significant amount of money to spend, but am too young (32 yrs.) to apply for a retiree's visa.

As someone statet already...if U R young + rich, U'll hv trouble getting a visa.

If you are 32 years old and have enough money to retire, you can get a non-O visa and then extend your stay based on investment of 3 million Baht in a fixed deposit account in Thailand, currently paying 5.5% interest. Problem solved.

If you have a legal obligation to support your daughter of Thai nationality, you may perhaps qualify for extension of stay based on this. Only 400K needed in a Thai savings account.

Talk to the immigration office and they will help you find the best solution.

---------------

Maestro

There is nothing about outlawing visa runs or making it like the US, where no matter what visa (my family has 10 year multi entry visas), they can only spend 180 days per year in the US.

The revolving door will always be open in you just follow the rules and leave when you have to and come back when you want.

Obviously, you didn't read. Let me do a copy-and-paste for you....

However, some foreigners including tourists ''tiptoe around the law'' by resorting to so-called visa runs to extend their stay. Most take a bus to a border, check out of the country and then return the same day to have the VOA renewed.

They repeat the practice as many times as they wish, affording them almost unlimited stay in the country. The policy is largely intended to serve tourism.

Pol Lt-Gen Suwat said the change of the VOA rules is in order.