Creosote

eyecatcher

The only thing I know of that is what we call the tar like substance that builds up in the chimney of a wood burning stove. It can catch fire and cause issues if you aren't there.

We get it out with stiff wire chimney brushes, working down from the roof.

Is that what you call creosote?

If you try to dissolve what I'm thinking of with solvents you'd create a greater fire hazard. No chimney sweeps in Thailand, eh?

Long long time since I have used Creosote. Aside from being a toxic poison (many children have died from accidental drinking it) and it's long time terrible smell (remember one builder painting creosote on door frames, could never paint them with gloss paint). These more modern days there are various alternatives at your local DIY stores.

I believe that people have used this on fence posts in the ground to prevent

Many years ago I always used creosote on my farm for new fence posts,from base up to ground level,termites wont go anywhere need it.

But a serious word of warning wear a quality mask and do not use it in hot weather,enclosed areas or inhale the fumes.I ended up in hospital one day

after inhaling fumes and it created a nasty rash on my face .Its very toxic,there are safer alternatives.Mr google is your friend.

The only thing I know of that is what we call the tar like substance that builds up in the chimney of a wood burning stove. It can catch fire and cause issues if you aren't there.

We get it out with stiff wire chimney brushes, working down from the roof.

Is that what you call creosote?

If you try to dissolve what I'm thinking of with solvents you'd create a greater fire hazard. No chimney sweeps in Thailand, eh?

Yes NS thats exactly what it is; a derivative of coal tar.

Traditionally for preventing wet rot and used for treating railway sleepers and posts going ibto the ground.

Its the cheapest but best timber preservative there is.

I need to give some heavy timber posts a good dipping as a back up measure since they are going to be holding up the first floor and roof.

You can buy this in Thailand,go to a place they make charcoal and they sell bottles of it.It is used as an insecticide i believe.

I saw it at a Kings Project in Cha-am.

Thats an interesting observation. I saw many places making the charcoal pretty much near all the timber reclamation yards where i bought the posts from.

Its another sideline industry to selling salvaged timber. They dont miss an opportunity do they?

Just might give that a try.

Appreciate the world had changed for the bett/wor and creosote was a badboy product but its still sold and yes you need to take care. I like the smell its distinct isnt it.

As i mentioned in the op it is possible to achieve your rot and insect resistant posts using old engine oil; I suppose creosote in an unrefined stage.

A bit loathed to dig deep and spend on solignum and the like.

A visqueen wrap may suffice with engine oil.

Yes creosote is poisonous and there are safer alternatives. But there is no substitute. I would love to find some. After looking and looking, and seeing a post on this subject on this forum years ago, I finally gave up, concluding it must be a banned substance.

If you find any, please let us know.

The banning of Creosote in the US has spurred the adoption of pressure treated wood for outside use. I seriously doubt if there are any sources of pressure treated wood here in Thailand

Currently all creosote treated wood products – railroad crossties, utility poles, foundation and marine piling, posts, lumber, and timbers – are manufactured using this type of wood preservative. The manufacturing process can only be a pressure process under the supervision of a licensed applicator certified by the State Departments of Agriculture. No brush-on, spray or non-pressure uses of creosote are allowed as specified by the EPA approved label for the use of creosote.[13] The use of creosote according to the AWPA Standards does not allow for mixing with other types of “creosote type” materials – such as wood-tar creosote, lignite-tar creosote, peat-tar creosote, oil-tar creosote, and water-gas-tar creosote. The AWPA Standard P3 does however, allow blending of a high-boiling petroleum oil meeting the AWPA Standard P4.[12] [14]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

I don't know where you would find it but cooper arsenate is commonly used instead of creosote and is commonly used in treating the poles in pole frame housing.. Probably both are equally as dangerous especially if safety precautions are not taken and probably this is useless information if you cannot buy it locally in Thailand. I have included the wiki link for your information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_arsenate.

When I was a kid, creosote was used to mark out football pitches as it seemed to burn the grass, and I quite liked the smell of it!

However one thing is for sure if you were playing football on one of the pitches that was marked with creosote and you grazed your leg (doing a slide tackle for example) and came into contact with it, it sure stung.

The banning of Creosote in the US has spurred the adoption of pressure treated wood for outside use. I seriously doubt if there are any sources of pressure treated wood here in Thailand

Yes there is. Head out Chuang Puek towards Mae Rim. Just past the junction of the outer ring round on the east side is a very large furniture Factory . Run by EU folks. They have a pressure treating machine in house. Not sure if you can bring your own lumber to their party.......

Currently all creosote treated wood products railroad crossties, utility poles, foundation and marine piling, posts, lumber, and timbers are manufactured using this type of wood preservative. The manufacturing process can only be a pressure process under the supervision of a licensed applicator certified by the State Departments of Agriculture. No brush-on, spray or non-pressure uses of creosote are allowed as specified by the EPA approved label for the use of creosote.[13] The use of creosote according to the AWPA Standards does not allow for mixing with other types of creosote type materials such as wood-tar creosote, lignite-tar creosote, peat-tar creosote, oil-tar creosote, and water-gas-tar creosote. The AWPA Standard P3 does however, allow blending of a high-boiling petroleum oil meeting the AWPA Standard P4.[12] [14]

Yes creosote is poisonous and there are safer alternatives. But there is no substitute. I would love to find some. After looking and looking, and seeing a post on this subject on this forum years ago, I finally gave up, concluding it must be a banned substance.

If you find any, please let us know.

"banned substance" theres an oxymoron for Thailand if ever I saw one.

PS: you've seen better days LindaLovelace

When I was a kid, creosote was used to mark out football pitches as it seemed to burn the grass, and I quite liked the smell of it!

However one thing is for sure if you were playing football on one of the pitches that was marked with creosote and you grazed your leg (doing a slide tackle for example) and came into contact with it, it sure stung.

You must be pretty old then because I can't remember playing on football pitches marked with black lines.

would that have been pre 1930s then when colour wasnt invented, everything was just black and white.

footy pitches now marked with lime; which also burns the grass but the line remains white.

if I believe this post and also Xens post above; my first thought is paraquat; sounds like a viable alternative.(jesting)

Yes there is. Head out Chuang Puek towards Mae Rim. Just past the junction of the outer ring round on the east side is a very large furniture Factory . Run by EU folks. They have a pressure treating machine in house. Not sure if you can bring your own lumber to their party.......

Currently all creosote treated wood products railroad crossties, utility poles, foundation and marine piling, posts, lumber, and timbers are manufactured using this type of wood preservative. The manufacturing process can only be a pressure process under the supervision of a licensed applicator certified by the State Departments of Agriculture. No brush-on, spray or non-pressure uses of creosote are allowed as specified by the EPA approved label for the use of creosote.[13] The use of creosote according to the AWPA Standards does not allow for mixing with other types of creosote type materials such as wood-tar creosote, lignite-tar creosote, peat-tar creosote, oil-tar creosote, and water-gas-tar creosote. The AWPA Standard P3 does however, allow blending of a high-boiling petroleum oil meeting the AWPA Standard P4.[12] [14]

Traditionally called Vac Vac and combines kiln drying with pressure inpregnated teatments. Suksawad timber have one also.

I am not timber framing to that extent just half a dozen posts that i may lose a foot under ground.

Moving them is a problem they are 6m long and weight 250kg a piece.

My next topic will be " I have a problem getting it upright"

post-150623-14319393126585_thumb.jpg

You must be pretty old then because I can't remember playing on football pitches marked with black lines.

would that have been pre 1930s then when colour wasnt invented, everything was just black and white.

footy pitches now marked with lime; which also burns the grass but the line remains white.

if I believe this post and also Xens post above; my first thought is paraquat; sounds like a viable alternative.(jesting)

555.......No not that old!!

This would be in the 60s in England and in a small town, and sometimes I would follow the guy marking the lines and look at the black smelly liquid in the little roller machine and wonder what it was and why it smelled like that.

Quote: "To overcome this problem some ground staff resorted to adding weed killers or substituting white line marking materials with creosote. The use of these materials generally killed off the grass, and between the 1960's and 1980s' was an accepted practice. Law now bans the use of lime and creosote". Source; The Art of Line Marking