Microsoft "clarifies" their Non-Genuine free upgrade message

RichCor

”Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims
of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward
with us together."
"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows
devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers
running devices in a Non-Genuine state.”

Microsoft Windows BLOG

May 15, 2015 by Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems
Also...
May 15, 2015 by Mary Jo Foley (for All About Microsoft)
Summary: Microsoft is attempting to clarify its policy, one more time, regarding
whether Non-Genuine Windows users will get a free Windows 10 update.
So users who have a pirated copy of Windows running on their PCs will be expected to pay for the upgrade to Windows 10.
Edited by RichCor

Here's a good article on the subject I think...Link and partial quote below:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/15/microsoft-will-not-offer-free-windows-10-upgrades-to-pirates/

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. All that talk about pirates getting free Windows 10 upgrades? Not happening.

In January, we learned that for one year, Microsoft would offer free Windows 10 upgrades to those running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1. In March, reports suggested the offer would extend to pirates, though when we followed up with Microsoft, it turned out the Windows licenses would stay non-genuine and would be unsupported.

Earlier this week, Microsoft revealed the Windows 10 editions. We learned that the free upgrades for genuine users were to Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Mobile, and Windows 10 Home.
For genuine users, the free upgrade to Windows 10 means receiving “ongoing Windows innovation and security updates for free, for the supported lifetime of that device.” Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s executive vice president of operating systems, today clarified the company’s plans were not changing for non-genuine users:

When we can’t verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device.

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state.

Edited by Pib

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state.

Still finding this last statement ambiguous...??

I don't. To me it means if your Windows 10 is identified as being non-genuine then you would buy a genuine license number, enter the license number, and then your Win 10 goes back to be activated/gets rid of the watermark. But MS don't want to phrase it that way....more politically correct their way.

I don't. To me it means if your Windows 10 is identified as being non-genuine then you would buy a genuine license number, enter the license number, and then your Win 10 goes back to be activated/gets rid of the watermark. But MS don't want to phrase it that way....more politically correct their way.

I understand what you are saying there, but the last part of the MS statement then goes on to say:

"we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in Non-Genuine state"

That bit has me stumped - doesn't fit in with the first part of the statement

I understand what you are saying there, but the last part of the MS statement then goes on to say:

"we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in Non-Genuine state"

My bet? They'll let you upgrade to Win 10 even if you're running pirated Win 7 or Win 8.

Then one day, when they have critical mass with Win 10, you'll get a message saying you can't use your computer any more until you fork over some money.

But that's just a guess.

My bet? They'll let you upgrade to Win 10 even if you're running pirated Win 7 or Win 8.

Then one day, when they have critical mass with Win 10, you'll get a message saying you can't use your computer any more until you fork over some money.

But that's just a guess.

Expect after the upgrade the watermark on a screen saying the Windows is not genuine will be enough to cause many people to get a genuine license, especially if you are business, govt function, etc., and such a watermark could eventually draw the attention by the authorities. And for those that the watermark don't have any impact on (i.e., generate any real concern) my guess is your Windows would be crippled in some way (a little to a lot) at some point in time...maybe not be able to download/install Windows updates, etc.

I figure allowing a person to upgrade to Win 10 from a non-genuine Win 7/8 would be like a worm on the hook to catch the non-genuine fish....once caught the person would need to buy a Win 10 license at some point or revert back to their non-genuine Win 7/8 to get rid of the watermark issue.

And it may be harder to revert back because during the upgrade process the non-genuine Win 7/8 license number was logged into Microsoft's license validation system as being a non-genuine number (of course it may already be in that system and that's how it was identified as non-genuine) not allowing it to be activated again if seen again like during an initial Windows install, during a Windows update check, etc.

Yea, I can easily see Microsoft going fishing with their free upgrade to Win 10 worm on the hook hoping to catch some non-genuine Win 7/8 fish. And all of those non-genuine fish caught will not have a valid point to rant about. Not sure a rant such as "my non-genuine Win 7/8 license number didn't result in my getting a genuine Win 10 license number" will get much sympathy.

But I'm guessing based on how I interpret Microsoft politically correct press releases and figuring they are not ready to legitimize all non-genuine Win 7/8 licence numbers in the world. Guess time will tell.

I'd never use non genuine versions of any Microsoft products. $ 499 for MS Office 2013 isn't that much for me, being a teacher in Thailand. The genuine Windows 7 was 5 K, Acronis a lot, then Spy Hunter, Your Uninstaller, Kaspersky AV, ACD, of course the best, then the almost cheap Photoshop, aehh Malware bytes, the pro version, plus some other needed programs would be a few month salaries.

And I've heard that other people just download all that stuff and really believe they have the same quality programs. Harr Harr.

The last sentence beginning with "While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10..." isn't a sentence. The "and" should not be there.

To turn it into a real sentence it should be rewritten thus:

"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state as we’ve always done with previous versions of Windows."

The last sentence beginning with "While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10..." isn't a sentence. The "and" should not be there.

To turn it into a real sentence it should be rewritten thus:

"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state as we’ve always done with previous versions of Windows."

Yeah, I had already worked out the messed up use of the english language in it, but thanks anyway.

Now explain the mechanics of the statement.

If they are not going to offer a free ugrade to Windows 10 to a non-genuine device - how do you then offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a non-genuine state.

What is the difference between a non-genuine windows device, and a non-genuine state.

^^

The OS will be flagged as non-genuine and MS will offer to "legitimize" upon payment.

However, note that MS stated that a "very attractive" payment option will be offered to pirated versions..

Can you say... US$29.95.. smile.png