Nanny from Phillipines to work in Thailand

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I could not find any answer. We would like to hire a Nanny from the Phillipines. Someone we knew before and trust. I am now receiving contradictive information in regards to the visa and work permit situation. According to some people we spine with, they would not require a work permit as they are a member of the ASEAN and Nanny is not an occupation reserved for Thais. Otherwise think that they would need to get a work permit and it would be difficult to obtain as they would be hired privately. Does anyone have a better insight? I have already contacted the lawyer sponsoring Thaivisa but until today no answer. I thought maybe someone from here can assist.

There is no special provision in the ASEAN or AEC agreements that exempts them from a work permit or any other privileges..

She needs a work permit and a non-b visa. In order to get both they would need to be working for a Thai company.

I can recall some posts saying it can be arranged through an agency that handles nannies and house keepers.

We have been desperately trying to get some good live-in servants from Sri Lanka. But they do need visas and work permits i There are agencies that will arrange the work permits and visas but they are quoting US 3000 to do so. And the servants can only stay two years before they have to leave.

A neighbor here (Phuket) has been having a housekeeper/nannie for her two children for at least five years (several different workers, same kids). These have been Cambodian women who are actually married to workers in nearby construction labor camp. Know the construction workers are totally legal but know know about the housework legality aspect. Seems to be working out quite well over the years.

On the specific issue of the AEC and what impact it will have on foreign workers in Thailand, there is a broad misunderstanding, at least in the expatriate community, that the implementation will be something similar to the EU Freedom of Movement of Labour provisions. In reality, the AEC framework as currently defined introduces labour mobility only to a small number of defined skilled professions. It doesn't (and was never intended to) apply to unskilled labour, so I wouldn't anticipate that any of the immigration or work permit procedures will change for nannies as the result of AEC implementation.

• Like 1