What's with all the tatoos on Thai men?

tuonsai

It seems like every thai guy I see, especially the young ones have tattoos all over. I find this kind of disturbing.

Has it always been like this or is this new? What's the association for them ?

like do a lot of tattoos mean being a thug or just being young and hip?

Edited by tuonsai

Personally i do not have any tattoo's or would i get any, but if i was going to appreciate the aesthetics of tattoo's i would say they look considerably better against the darker skin of a Thai, where they are less prominent, compared to the way they stand out so much more on whiter skins of many farang here.

"It seems like every thai guy I see, especially the young ones have tattoos all over. I find this kind of disturbing".

Do you inspect the bodies 'all over' on all young Thai men?

The west far outdoes Thailand for having tattoos, the UK in particular has gone tattoo crazy!

There are a lot of younger kids with Tattoos compared to older generations. I still notice that most with tattoos seem to be more rural redneck types rather than typical middle class families.

Uptheos is correct though it is still much more prevalent in the west. When I go to the beach with my family every western person I see under 30 has a tattoo.

In the West, tattoos have become a mainstream thing, the whole association with prison inmates and outlaw motorcycle gangs has gone. Nowadays also oh so decent law abiding church going youngsters are getting themselves tattooed.

As far as Thai men are concerned, it is mainly lower class males getting themselves tattooed, they believe it gives them protection and good luck.

Side remark: In the West, the majority regrets getting tattoos later on, tattoo removal places are doing brisk business.

Magic to ward off evil Pee's and some to make ###bulletproof### cheesy.gif

And Westerners use them as a fashion accessory like Angelina.

http://www.freetattoodesigns.org/angelina-jolie-tattoos.html

(There is a recent report about Angelinas tattos in Daily Mail, but as the site is (normally) blocked in Thailand I don't want to link it.)

Even worse to see them on Women of any age. Just another form of self harm . After all most of the older women you see with tattoos are mostly pig ugly, irrespective of the nationality, so I guess if you look like that then it would drive you to self harm as a cry for help.

I think the lady below was Wayne Rooney's GF. Obviously crying for help.

post-232807-0-91137600-1431923472_thumb.

Old guys with new tattoos crack me up.

+1 clap2.gif

How about old guys with new tattoos on their drop dead good looking young Thai girlfriends? I took that route as it is less painful and still as many people get to look at my tattoo (I call it mine because I bought it). clap2.gif

+1 clap2.gif
How about old guys with new tattoos on their drop dead good looking young Thai girlfriends? I took that route as it is less painful and still as many people get to look at my tattoo (I call it mine because I bought it). clap2.gif

Tramp-stamp

The go-God tat the girls to brand them. Sad.

+1 clap2.gif

Tramp-stamp

Go go boys too. I don't know why you find them offensive. I find them like a marksmanship badge of technical expertise on men or women. It also helps you keep the correct target orientation if you have had a bit too much to drink.

Go go boys too. I don't know why you find them offensive.

Tramp-stamp

As far as the boys go, I'll have to your word for it,,,

I don't find them offensive, I think they usually look silly.

The west far outdoes Thailand for having tattoos, the UK in particular has gone tattoo crazy!

I was going to post exactly the same thing mate. Went back to the UK last year with my wife and daughter ( after not going home for a number of years) and while sitting at a pavement coffee shop outside a mall in Norwich people watching it literally seemed as if I was in a minority by not having a tattoo. I was gobsmacked.

Tattoos are the new conformism.

3 to 4 decades ago, it was punk: "Let's rebel against conformity, but first you'll have to dress like us, talk like us and listen to the same music."

Now the sheep want to stand out by getting identical tattoos of tigers, Chinese symbols and naked women on their arms and back.

Even worse to see them on Women of any age. Just another form of self harm . After all most of the older women you see with tattoos are mostly pig ugly, irrespective of the nationality, so I guess if you look like that then it would drive you to self harm as a cry for help.

I think the lady below was Wayne Rooney's GF. Obviously crying for help.

Where would you finish on her?

Not keen on them myself, although a single, smallish one of something like a butterfly on arm, hand or leg can look effective.

This all over the arm stuff is perfectly awful, IMO, and it would seem true that many recipients come to resent them in time. Sitting on my Suk. 11 bar the other night two westerners came in both sporting arms full of the things. I actually said to a friend that I bet one day they will come to regret the disfiguration invlolved. A youngish chap sitting next to us suddenly interupted and agreed with me, whilst showing me his armful. He stated that it was one of the most stupid things he had ever done and was planning removal. He called it "self-inspired mutilation."

Is removal that easy? I can't quite see how. Must be painful, does anybody know what exactly is involved?

I get the impression that, in the UK at least, the armful craze was instigated by professional footballers and the sheep followed. Are the Thai men following westerners in this craze?

Not judging, each to his own and all that, but not over-enamoured in any way, shape or form.