Thaksin in Seoul: deja vu all over again?

webfact

EDITORIAL
Thaksin in Seoul: deja vu all over again?

The Nation

Will the man in exile make it "harder" or "easier" for himself and everyone else?

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin Shinawatra will emerge from his "glass closet of seclusion" and speak at an international conference in South Korea tomorrow.

Everything about it is all too familiar: The timing is conspicuous; the Thai government has one eye on it but tries to act like it couldn't be bothered; the outspoken enemies are asking why his passport has not been revoked; and calls for everyone to "step beyond Thaksin" are getting loud and clear.

It's a forum that allows key guests to express their economic visions on Asia's future. That Thaksin has been invited is probably not as interesting as the forum coinciding with a legal event in Thailand. His sister Yingluck Shinawatra is having an important date with the Thai court regarding the controversial rice scheme of her government. Many people, therefore, link what has been transpiring in Thailand to what Thaksin may have to say in South Korea. There has also been speculation that it is his publicists who arranged his participation in the Seoul conference for political purposes.

What Thaksin will say at the forum, or in interviews on the sidelines, will almost certainly go under a microscope. The Pheu Thai camp has lambasted those who have a "knee-jerk" reaction to his participation in the forum. Thaksin would not say anything that would hurt Thailand, Pheu Thai insisted. To his political rivals, that does not guarantee anything, as "Thailand" and the "anti-Thaksin elements" can always be treated separate entities. In other words, Thaksin can still hurt his "enemies" but not Thailand.

The South Korean forum can bring the debate over successes or failures of the "Thaksinomics" back to life. The controversial doctrine that mixed populist policies with massive spending on mega-projects and fast-paced free-trade agreements has its fans and critics. He may choose to talk about it again although that could bring him dangerously close to the hot Thai local topic - the criminal proceedings against Yingluck, whose rice-pledging scheme seemed to embody the good and bad of "Thaksinomics".

We can see how a Thaksin speech on economic vision can be politically sensitive. After all, Thailand's political strife is rooted in the serious disagreement over whether he was a great economic visionary who was victimised for getting too popular among the poor, or whether his economic doctrine was more like a tool and shield to advance and protect vested interests, most of them his. Despite calls basically from all sides for everyone to "go beyond Thaksin" and move on, the disagreement remains at the core of the Thai political conflict.

When Thaksin was prime minister, he visited Seoul in 2005. Two years earlier, late South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun visited Thailand. Both countries also go back a long way and Thailand was the second nation after the United States to send troops to support South Korea during the Korean War. It's unlikely, though, that what Thaksin does in South Korea will have a dramatic impact on bilateral relations.

Yet a few things will be at stake when Thaksin takes the podium. On the one hand, what he says will have an impact on Thailand, more or less. On the other hand, what he says will also have an impact on himself. His fight with his political enemies have dented Thailand's image and disrupted the country's development, but it also has had a direct effect on his future, political or else. His choice is obvious: He can choose to make it harder for everyone including himself, or he can choose to make it a little easier for everyone including himself.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Thaksin-in-Seoul-deja-vu-all-over-again-30260342.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-18

Thaksin is maturing. There was a time, not so very long ago, that after he was made to look like a donkey's butt as regards being caught in the big lie over his generous (although purely fantasy) water pumps during his sister's Great Flood, that he would have shot from the hip and gone down in flames attacking the Koreans for his own ballsup. Let's hope he carries this mature facade over to tomorrow's speech. Some other Shin speeches abroad are notable for their toe-curling self serving lies (Mongolia for 1!), I expect more of the same tomorrow which will doubtless send his supporters into mass priapism.

Thaksin is maturing. There was a time, not so very long ago, that after he was made to look like a donkey's butt as regards being caught in the big lie over his generous (although purely fantasy) water pumps during his sister's Great Flood, that he would have shot from the hip and gone down in flames attacking the Koreans for his own ballsup. Let's hope he carries this mature facade over to tomorrow's speech. Some other Shin speeches abroad are notable for their toe-curling self serving lies (Mongolia for 1!), I expect more of the same tomorrow which will doubtless send his supporters into mass priapism.

Didn't YL go on about unfair treatment etc when she was in Mongolia so will he return the favour given her current legal problems discreetly ignoring his part in her downfall ?

I have no problem with Thaksin as long as he is not interfering in the progress of Thailand or plotting to return to power. I do wish him a slow, painful death for what he has already done, though. I'll wait until I hear what the creature has to say before I can know if he is being his typical, self-serving self or has risen above self interest on this one occasion. Anyone following my posts knows I am one of those, "anti-Thaksin elements".

He is the reason Thailand has a military government today because his last puppet government tried to cover up all his and their corruption with a 'blanket' amnesty bill that nearly led to civil war.

I have no problem with Thaksin as long as he is not interfering in the progress of Thailand or plotting to return to power. I do wish him a slow, painful death for what he has already done, though. I'll wait until I hear what the creature has to say before I can know if he is being his typical, self-serving self or has risen above self interest on this one occasion. Anyone following my posts knows I am one of those, "anti-Thaksin elements".

He is the reason Thailand has a military government today because his last puppet government tried to cover up all his and their corruption with a 'blanket' amnesty bill that nearly led to civil war.

And the reasons before for military governments were what?

You still don't see that the army ARE the driving force behind the country's inability to move forwards as it means they could lose their power if they like most other armies in the world came under a government and answered to them, and not to a group of dinosaurs lurking behind the scenes?

The timing is dangerous, as his sister and trawanten are on the edge of appear in a Thai Court, with heavy sentences hanging in the balance.

I'm not sure if Khun thaksin does the right thing, as it may trigger a stiff respons in court.

Progress towards a dictatorship ?

You still don't see that the army ARE the driving force behind the country's inability to move forwards as it means they could lose their power if they like most other armies in the world came under a government and answered to them, and not to a group of dinosaurs lurking behind the scenes?

The army would not have stepped in civilians weren't being killed in large numbers at the protests. Which as we know, were started by trying to give Thaksin amnesty. In many countries around the world, the army does fine being under the control of the government.

The army is not the main reason Thailand is not moving forward. The problems we have today were mainly created by corrupt politicians. And a slowing global economy.

Thailand was averaging almost 2 coups (or attempts) per decade before Thaksin ever showed up on the scene. Let's not blame the sun rising on the rooster.

The timing is dangerous, as his sister and trawanten are on the edge of appear in a Thai Court, with heavy sentences hanging in the balance.

I'm not sure if Khun thaksin does the right thing, as it may trigger a stiff respons in court.

lets hope they get the maximum.

I suppose you are referring to 2006 when the military took over Thaksin's illegal government.

The last time Dr. Thaksin was legitimately PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over the tax-free sale of his 49% of ShinCorp, a telecoms business, to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. He expected to get a fresh mandate from a new election as he believed he was immensely popular. The Democrat Party chose to boycott the election (it is their right to not field a candidate under long-standing Thai election law) leaving Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party running unopposed in many districts. Long-standing Thai election law states that when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast) and Thaksin began to worry he wouldn’t/couldn't get 40% of the electorate to turn out for him so his TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them. That way TRT would only need a simple majority of votes cast to win each district. Paying the smaller parties is against the law and considered cheating. TRT got caught and the election was nullified by the Constitutional Court.

Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and a Deputy PM, Police General Chitchai Wannasathit (Acting Prime Minister by Royal Command) 5 April 2006 - 23 May 2006, was installed as caretaker PM to facilitate new elections. Seven weeks later, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority under the constitution to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber. Who else was going to enforce Constitutional rules that should be enforced by the Executive Branch of Government? In this case, The Executive Branch had been coopted by a pretender (Dr. Thaksin) who was not following the Constitution that he was supposed to uphold. The Army is the Last Resort to prevent dictatorship and abuse at the highest levels. The Army turned over governing to Civilian rule within weeks. I repeat, Dr. Thaksin was not a legal PM when the Army moved in and in fact, when the Army's appointed civilian government held elections, they did not prevent the installation of a government by Dr. Thaksin's nominee, K. Samak, after he won. Now you can see why so many people can never trust an undemocratic figure as Dr. Thaksin has proved himself to be.

Actually, the coup was more than four months AFTER the Constitution Court's invalidating the election and he STILL hadn't held new elections. "Democracy is not my goal" - Thaksin Shinawatra. One has to ask if he was ever going to hold new elections.

Time line from CNN

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

May 8 - Constitutional Court rules April election invalid.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

source: Thailand timeline 2001-2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

BTW CNN famously reports with a pro Thaksin bias.

I have three questions for you:

If Thaksin was so popular, as all his supporters say, why couldn't he get just 40% of the electorate to come out and return him to power legitimately?

Why did he return to government house seven weeks after he had resigned as caretaker PM and already installed his successor caretaker PM?

Who else but the military could make him do the lawful thing?

I'm afraid you can't answer ANY of these questions.

I am grateful that Thailand has such loyal, wise, brilliant military leaders that tolerate the civilian governments' corruption but know when 'enough is enough'.

I don't know why Thaksin apologists keep wanting to rewrite history or read this post, which I've put up many times (it's no bother as I keep the word document on my desktop). I will continue to print the truth every time someone distorts it.

Edited by rametindallas

There is no coincidence here. The Thaksinator doesn't do coincidents, at least not while Pansak is lurking in the background. It's orchestrated, pure and simple, because you'll note he hasn't appeared anywhere else of significance in the past 12 months (strange if he's trying to court the sympathy vote - and mummy's boy never misses a chance to do that - oh well!). It's unlikely the creature will say anything controversial as I think this exercise is purely about maintaining his exposure lest he be forgotten. But then again, he could be using the twin events, not to mention the anniversary of the coup, as a catalyst for a revived offensive against the military. The Thaksinator has shown before that he doesn't like getting his little botty spanked, and that is looming once again. Also, my old mate Somtam Charlie feels a certain pink Bentley might be seen on the streets again very soon.

A. Thaksin has been convicted of crimes in Thailand

B. He fled the country

C. The thai police and governed knows where he is.

WHY have they not ever attempted to have him arrested and sent back to Thailand. It would be easy? This Thai government and previous ones, treat him as if he is innocent. Don't they believe in the verdict? If he is innocent, then let him keep his passports and come back to Thailand as a free man. If he was guilty like, as in the conviction, then he should have his passports cancelled and Thailand should have him arrested and sent back to serve time in prison.

BUT Thailand is doing neither. It makes a mockery of the courts and laws, and begs the question why.

Convicted, fugitive criminal to speak at international conference in South Korea?

Wouldn't attend even if paid $millions to do so.

I would. In the middle of his speech, just as he gets to the predictable part where he snivels about his misfortunes, I would stand up and shout: Thaksin awk pai. Then promptly sit down. I would pay millions (of dong) just to see the look on his face. :)

The army would not have stepped in civilians weren't being killed in large numbers at the protests. Which as we know, were started by trying to give Thaksin amnesty. In many countries around the world, the army does fine being under the control of the government.

The army is not the main reason Thailand is not moving forward. The problems we have today were mainly created by corrupt politicians. And a slowing global economy.

The history of these problems predates the birth of every one reading this.

The army never stepped in when Abhisit was in power, and a much larger number of people were killed. 18 coups all had nothing to do with military power behind the scenes? You are simply kidding yourself and clutching at straws. Thaksin is not the root of the problem at all. The root of the problem is forbidden topics that spill over into every forum, and has a group of shadow masters whose military might is their puppet government.

I don't like Thaksin at all, but as a matter of course I am not fond of politicians in general. It is a rare bird who can stay clear of corruption in office and also be effective...I have never seen one in my lifetime.

Pretending that if the entire Shinawatra clan was kidnapped to Europa by well intending aliens that "everything would go back to being all right". Things were never all right in Thailand. The feudal system is alive and well on planet earth.

Edited by FangFerang

Prayut has a lot to answer for. Thaksin is a convicted criminal on the run. Why has his Thai PP not been cancelled? Why is he not on Interpol's list of wanted refugees?

IMHO all this bs about some, a few corrupt police and government officials being moved to 'inactive positions' is just window dressing. If the military government was serious about clearing the country of corruption they would start at the top. One that needs targeting is Thaksin. Plenty of <deleted> on both sides of the fence need taking down. Why is it not happening? Of course the money supply to the 'top' must not be comprimised. BAH jing jing

Who really cares what Thaksin says anymore?

I suppose you are referring to 2006 when the military took over Thaksin's illegal government.

The last time Dr. Thaksin was legitimately PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over the tax-free sale of his 49% of ShinCorp, a telecoms business, to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. He expected to get a fresh mandate from a new election as he believed he was immensely popular. The Democrat Party chose to boycott the election (it is their right to not field a candidate under long-standing Thai election law) leaving Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party running unopposed in many districts. Long-standing Thai election law states that when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast) and Thaksin began to worry he wouldnt/couldn't get 40% of the electorate to turn out for him so his TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them. That way TRT would only need a simple majority of votes cast to win each district. Paying the smaller parties is against the law and considered cheating. TRT got caught and the election was nullified by the Constitutional Court.

Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and a Deputy PM, Police General Chitchai Wannasathit (Acting Prime Minister by Royal Command) 5 April 2006 - 23 May 2006, was installed as caretaker PM to facilitate new elections. Seven weeks later, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority under the constitution to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber. Who else was going to enforce Constitutional rules that should be enforced by the Executive Branch of Government? In this case, The Executive Branch had been coopted by a pretender (Dr. Thaksin) who was not following the Constitution that he was supposed to uphold. The Army is the Last Resort to prevent dictatorship and abuse at the highest levels. The Army turned over governing to Civilian rule within weeks. I repeat, Dr. Thaksin was not a legal PM when the Army moved in and in fact, when the Army's appointed civilian government held elections, they did not prevent the installation of a government by Dr. Thaksin's nominee, K. Samak, after he won. Now you can see why so many people can never trust an undemocratic figure as Dr. Thaksin has proved himself to be.

Actually, the coup was more than four months AFTER the Constitution Court's invalidating the election and he STILL hadn't held new elections. "Democracy is not my goal" - Thaksin Shinawatra. One has to ask if he was ever going to hold new elections.

Time line from CNN

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

If Thaksin was so popular, as all his supporters say, why couldn't he get just 40% of the electorate to come out and return him to power legitimately?

Why did he return to government house seven weeks after he had resigned as caretaker PM and already installed his successor caretaker PM?

I am grateful that Thailand has such loyal, wise, brilliant military leaders that tolerate the civilian governments' corruption but know when 'enough is enough'.

I don't know why Thaksin apologists keep wanting to rewrite history or read this post, which I've put up many times (it's no bother as I keep the word document on my desktop). I will continue to print the truth every time someone distorts it.

Ummmm no, I am referring to all the coups prior to Thaksin.

And why you pose 3 questions and then states I can't answer them?

Pointless asking them isn't it?

Then you go onto to use words like apologists, try getting your empty head around this, I couldn't care two monkeys about Thaksin or his PTP, I couldn't give a toss if he fell out a tree spying on his sister, Thaksin apologist?

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are.

Tell me this, what was so horrendous about your life in Thailand throughout the PTP years? What persecution did you face on a daily basis, it sounds so horrendous for the all the farangs who lived here in such brutal times, or was the reality just like it is today? As in there's not a single change to your personal circumstances that it was more the Thai people, which you're not, who suffered more hardships ?

Let me ask you 3 questions

Can you personally own land?

Can you personally own your own home?

Can you vote in the next elections in the Kingdom?

I know the answers already, they all start with an N and end with a O.

I was all for the protests, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

I was also for the protests right up to the point where sabotaging the one true time where the claimed "majority" could have voted Yingluck out, but the democrats couldn't risk another defeat, and neither could the military allow another 4 year term of the PTP.

But unlike you sir, I look towards the things that are going on behind the scenes, of the power plays and reasons why it cannot be the PTP in power when the music stops.

Thaksin is a part of the problem, I just don't buy him being the main problem Thailand has, I unlike you don't accept the army as being whiter than white and above corruption, and unlike you, I also believe khaki coloured hands have been dipping into the cookie jars for decades, but nothing will happen as they have given themselves amnesties!!

NOBODY should be above the laws, but we know that is not the case with the Military in Thailand, you chose to see them as a leaser of two evils, I chose to view them as morally corrupt as those they ousted.

Transparency is like reconciliation, a figment of imaginations that only suits those in power.

Unlike the Junta that gave itself blanket amnesty for violating the constitution? The military took over power largely because of its concerns of losing its own power over Thai people's sovereignty should there be a succession in the Head of State. And in the process the Junta has established its own PUPPET GOVERNMENT.

The only difference between Thaksin's government and Prayut's government is the Thai people cannot vote Prayut out.

B. He fled the country

WHY have they not ever attempted to have him arrested and sent back to Thailand. It would be easy? This Thai government and previous ones, treat him as if he is innocent. Don't they believe in the verdict? If he is innocent, then let him keep his passports and come back to Thailand as a free man. If he was guilty like, as in the conviction, then he should have his passports cancelled and Thailand should have him arrested and sent back to serve time in prison.

BUT Thailand is doing neither. It makes a mockery of the courts and laws, and begs the question why.

The Thai authorities have no jurisdiction to arrest Thaksin outside of Thailand. As for extradition, that would require treaties and even if there was a treaty, the crime for which he was convicted does not rise to the importance of say a weapons smuggler, etc. As for ignoring him and letting him keep his passport and otherwise not impeding him, perhaps they want to lull him into a false sense of security. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey, means patiently wait for all the elements to fall into place before springing the trap. Army generals study strategy as part of their profession and they are leaving quite a few rabble-rouser, malcontents alone so as not to raise suspicion of their grand plan to eliminate Thaksin and all his influence from the Thai political scene. This government is very busy because of the dual tasks they have taken on; they have to govern and they they also have to remove Thaksin and his influence. Either one would be considered a full-time occupation so they have to be slow, methodical, and stick to the plan; a plan they may have been working on as a contingency for a long time. So far, they are doing a visibly good job of governing and are making slow but steady progress towards reform of the RTP, the Civil Service, and the political system. The part of the plan regarding Thaksin and his minions must be kept secret so as not to tip their hand. One day soon, when the groundwork has been done and all the traps are baited and set, you will, most likely, see a round-up like you've never imagined. I am not privy to the time-table or the plan but there is plenty of evidence that the NCPO is well aware that they must remove Thaksin and his political influence from Thailand for reforms to ever be sustained. The previous coup-leader Gen. Sonthi left the job too soon and unfinished so that Thaksin's power was manifest in the Samak government just months after the 2006 coup; what a wasted opportunity. Also, Gen. Sonthi joined with Thaksin's puppet government which led to speculation that he had been bought off. Prayut was second in command and he watched those failures first hand and he will not repeat those mistakes. He is too much of a patriot and, since Thailand is at a critical juncture in its history when Royal Succession may happen at any time, there needs to be a strong, steady hand at the helm to keep the country on an even keel because Thaksin is a typhoon that would sink everything to get his way. Look for Prayut to be steadfast in his dual missions and hope-like-hell he is successful.

B. He fled the country

The Thai authorities have no jurisdiction to arrest Thaksin outside of Thailand. As for extradition, that would require treaties and even if there was a treaty, the crime for which he was convicted does not rise to the importance of say a weapons smuggler, etc. As for ignoring him and letting him keep his passport and otherwise not impeding him, perhaps they want to lull him into a false sense of security. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey, means patiently wait for all the elements to fall into place before springing the trap. Army generals study strategy as part of their profession and they are leaving quite a few rabble-rouser, malcontents alone so as not to raise suspicion of their grand plan to eliminate Thaksin and all his influence from the Thai political scene. This government is very busy because of the dual tasks they have taken on; they have to govern and they they also have to remove Thaksin and his influence. Either one would be considered a full-time occupation so they have to be slow, methodical, and stick to the plan; a plan they may have been working on as a contingency for a long time. So far, they are doing a visibly good job of governing and are making slow but steady progress towards reform of the RTP, the Civil Service, and the political system. The part of the plan regarding Thaksin and his minions must be kept secret so as not to tip their hand. One day soon, when the groundwork has been done and all the traps are baited and set, you will, most likely, see a round-up like you've never imagined. I am not privy to the time-table or the plan but there is plenty of evidence that the NCPO is well aware that they must remove Thaksin and his political influence from Thailand for reforms to ever be sustained. The previous coup-leader Gen. Sonthi left the job too soon and unfinished so that Thaksin's power was manifest in the Samak government just months after the 2006 coup; what a wasted opportunity. Also, Gen. Sonthi joined with Thaksin's puppet government which led to speculation that he had been bought off. Prayut was second in command and he watched those failures first hand and he will not repeat those mistakes. He is too much of a patriot and, since Thailand is at a critical juncture in its history when Royal Succession may happen at any time, there needs to be a strong, steady hand at the helm to keep the country on an even keel because Thaksin is a typhoon that would sink everything to get his way. Look for Prayut to be steadfast in his dual missions and hope-like-hell he is successful.

Good read but hard on the eyes any chance you could paragraph? :D

B. He fled the country

Thai Courts have little credibility overseas due to rank corruption. I have personally been cheated FOUR times! It is hardly surprising that most Thais have little respect for their laws, due to the lousy way they are implemented. Then there is the question of Apartheid.

Why does the Nation continue to print this rubbish.

who really cares where he is ....... ?? coffee1.gif

To the Nation : Forget the past, move on !!!!

Apparently, not when there is an opportunity for historical revisionism. I'm surprised that no one else noticed this part of the article:

Thailand was the second nation after the United States to send troops to support South Korea during the Korean War.

Really?

The war started in June 1950. Australia and the UK were involved shortly thereafter with Australia heavily involved by October 1950. Canadian troops started to be deployed in large numbers starting in November 1950, with their arrival on US troop ships by December 1950. And then came Thailand almost a year later. A division of Thai soldiers (21st Infantry) was deployed to Korea in July 1951 and they were attached to the US 2nd Infantry Division. Thailand's military junta of the time was the first Asian country to offer "moral" support to Korea.

Sorry, but it really ticks me off when the Thai media plays fast and loose with the historical record.

Prayut has a lot to answer for. Thaksin is a convicted criminal on the run. Why has his Thai PP not been cancelled? Why is he not on Interpol's list of wanted refugees?

IMHO all this bs about some, a few corrupt police and government officials being moved to 'inactive positions' is just window dressing. If the military government was serious about clearing the country of corruption they would start at the top. One that needs targeting is Thaksin. Plenty of <deleted> on both sides of the fence need taking down. Why is it not happening? Of course the money supply to the 'top' must not be comprimised. BAH jing jing

Prayut Yingluck has a lot to answer for. Thaksin is a convicted criminal on the run. Why has his Thai PP not been canceled? Why is he not on Interpol's list of wanted refugees?

Now do you see how ridiculous your statement looks?

Notice that Yingluck was the one that RETURNED his passport after Abhisit had canceled it and you're blaming Prayut? It is obvious you are attempting to play Devil's Advocate but you failed miserably.

If the military government was serious about clearing the country of corruption they would start at the top.

Uhh, they did start at the top by replacing the National Police Chief and transferring most of his staff to positions where their power would be muted. They weren't criminals (proven anyway) so transferring was the best the NCPO could do. The new National Police chief had the head of the CIB arrested and dismantled his criminal network, confiscated their wealth, auctioned it off and had the lot thrown in prison. You talk like you don't know anything that happened in the last year. Don't you read the news?

All of his agents, within and outside of government, who are still active in the effort to return their 'Paymaster' to power so he will reward them, plus the people who are aware of his evil designs on Thailand. This stuff goes right over your head doesn't it?

The last time Dr. Thaksin was legitimately PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over the tax-free sale of his 49% of ShinCorp, a telecoms business, to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. He expected to get a fresh mandate from a new election as he believed he was immensely popular. The Democrat Party chose to boycott the election (it is their right to not field a candidate under long-standing Thai election law) leaving Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party running unopposed in many districts. Long-standing Thai election law states that when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast) and Thaksin began to worry he wouldnt/couldn't get 40% of the electorate to turn out for him so his TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them. That way TRT would only need a simple majority of votes cast to win each district. Paying the smaller parties is against the law and considered cheating. TRT got caught and the election was nullified by the Constitutional Court.

Time line from CNN

And why you pose 3 questions and then states I can't answer them?

Pointless asking them isn't it?

Then you go onto to use words like apologists, try getting your empty head around this, I couldn't care two monkeys about Thaksin or his PTP, I couldn't give a toss if he fell out a tree spying on his sister, Thaksin apologist?

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are.

Tell me this, what was so horrendous about your life in Thailand throughout the PTP years? What persecution did you face on a daily basis, it sounds so horrendous for the all the farangs who lived here in such brutal times, or was the reality just like it is today? As in there's not a single change to your personal circumstances that it was more the Thai people, which you're not, who suffered more hardships ?

Let me ask you 3 questions

Can you personally own land?

Can you personally own your own home?

Can you vote in the next elections in the Kingdom?

I know the answers already, they all start with an N and end with a O.

I was all for the protests, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

I was also for the protests right up to the point where sabotaging the one true time where the claimed "majority" could have voted Yingluck out, but the democrats couldn't risk another defeat, and neither could the military allow another 4 year term of the PTP.

But unlike you sir, I look towards the things that are going on behind the scenes, of the power plays and reasons why it cannot be the PTP in power when the music stops.

Thaksin is a part of the problem, I just don't buy him being the main problem Thailand has, I unlike you don't accept the army as being whiter than white and above corruption, and unlike you, I also believe khaki coloured hands have been dipping into the cookie jars for decades, but nothing will happen as they have given themselves amnesties!!

NOBODY should be above the laws, but we know that is not the case with the Military in Thailand, you chose to see them as a leaser of two evils, I chose to view them as morally corrupt as those they ousted.

Transparency is like reconciliation, a figment of imaginations that only suits those in power.

You weren't very clear that you were talking about coups in the previous century.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the amnesty bill already killed off by the upper house and it was never likely to have been passed?

No, because the Senate didn't kill it but just sent is back to Parliament untouched, it only needed to wait for 180 days and then a 50% +1 vote (Thaksin's puppet Parliament could easily muster that many votes) would make it the law of the land (the Senate had already relinquished any right to veto it). I don't see how that is pertinent to the discussion, though.

I think not, you make an assumption that anti junta = pro Thaksin that shows how narrow minded you really are

Right now, in Thailand, to be anti NCPO is to be pro Thaksin because the NCPO is the only thing blocking Thaksin from power. I don't like military government, as a rule, but this one is doing a better job at governing Thailand than any I have witnessed in the last 18 years or read about in the last 83 years. In my opinion, Thaksin was worse for Thailand than most previous military dictatorships in Thailand's history. Until Thaksin is completely, irrevocably out of the picture, I will continue to support Prayut and the NCPO.

B. He fled the country

Good read but hard on the eyes any chance you could paragraph? biggrin.png

Sorry. I'll try to do better next time.