Job Offer

cheeseeater

I have recently been offered a very attractive job to teach in Bangkok. However, there is one condition, I must have a TEFL certificate. I already have a bachelors degree (not BA though) and have several years teaching experience from South Korea, and also in Thailand. I have been on several TEFL courses, but all in house training by previous employers and I don't have any certificate to show for them. The guy who wants to employ me says I need a certificate in order to get the teachers licence. A 120 hour, four week cert. is too expensive for me at the moment, but I have seen an 80 hour online course that would fit within my budget (offered on the website linked in the "Get Qualified Online" sticky thread at the top of this forum). I am a little apprehensive about whether this course is certified as suffient to get the TL though. The guy who offered me the job said that an online course is ok with him, as long as the Thai MoE can issue a TL against it. Anybody have any experience of this? I want ot get it sorted out quite quickly as the job offer is great.

I was just reading my original post, wondering why nobody answered my question and I realised that stupidly, I didn't ask it! :o Sorry about that. I simply want to know, is it possible to get a TL issued on a bachelors degree and an 80 hour online TEFL? I've heard several people say you don't need a TEFL at all, but I don't have a BA and the guy who interviewed me told me that they do require some form of certification. Thanks. :D

Susan R will sort your employer out!

Yes, it is possible to get a TL with a TEFL I know quite a few people that have.

Also check with the MoE as they've recently started rejecting certain TEFL certificate.....so make sure the one you do is going to be recognised by them!

All the best mate!!!

I have recently been offered a very attractive job to teach in Bangkok. However, there is one condition, I must have a TEFL certificate. I already have a bachelors degree (not BA though) and have several years teaching experience from South Korea, and also in Thailand. I have been on several TEFL courses, but all in house training by previous employers and I don't have any certificate to show for them. The guy who wants to employ me says I need a certificate in order to get the teachers licence. A 120 hour, four week cert. is too expensive for me at the moment, but I have seen an 80 hour online course that would fit within my budget (offered on the website linked in the "Get Qualified Online" sticky thread at the top of this forum). I am a little apprehensive about whether this course is certified as suffient to get the TL though. The guy who offered me the job said that an online course is ok with him, as long as the Thai MoE can issue a TL against it. Anybody have any experience of this? I want ot get it sorted out quite quickly as the job offer is great.

You've been offered a job you're not qualified for?

Susan alert!!!!!