Sources of Iron for Kids

KVJ

I'm a bit concerned my kids are not getting enough iron in their diets. Thai kids have much lower iron levels than kids in developed countires and while I'm sure my kids are above average they are probably still below developed country levels.

Appreciate any suggestions people have for sources of iron that are widely available in Thailand. There doesn't seem to be a lot of opitons - the steak is poor quality and they don't like it. They eat a bit of liver occasionally, I suppose we could step that up. They eat leafy greens fairly regularly. Mince beef probably once a week. Apart from that am out of ideas. Would prefer not to have them take supplements if possible though.

Any ideas appreciated.

Black strap molasses is loaded with iron and other nutrients and minerals that the body needs

I drink in coffee, but there are so many ways to take molasses and I think that although the sugar content is high the benefits of molasses outweigh the sugar intake, i.e. Iron calcium and potassium.

You must buy blackstrap not just molasses because the bs is unsulphured and Villa market sells it from Australia.

In addition to meat, fish and poultry, the following are high in iron:

beans and pulses

green leafy vegetables - pak bung is especially good (and is also rich in calcium)

Some grains (cereals, breads etc) are fortified with iron but you need to read the labels to know. In particular children's cereals are apt to be fortified.

With young children a factor in iron deficiency anemia can be hookworm. If you live in a rural area and your children sometimes go barefoot, it may be wise to treat pre-emptively for this every 6-12 months.

From the Mayo Clinic website: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/prevention/con-20019327

You can reduce your risk of iron deficiency anemia by choosing iron-rich foods.

Choose iron-rich foods

Foods rich in iron include:

• Red meat
  • Pork
  • Poultry
  • Seafood
  • Beans
  • Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
  • Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots
  • Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas
  • Peas

Your body absorbs more iron from meat than it does from other sources.

Click on the link for more information.

If you gently retract the lower eyelid with your finger & look at the inside surface, if it is pale pink this generally is an indicator of low iron/anaemia.

A blood test is of course a sure way of confirming this.

For what reason do you suspect they have an Iron Deficiency?

beans and pulses

green leafy vegetables - pak bung is especially good (and is also rich in calcium)

Some grains (cereals, breads etc) are fortified with iron but you need to read the labels to know. In particular children's cereals are apt to be fortified.

With young children a factor in iron deficiency anemia can be hookworm. If you live in a rural area and your children sometimes go barefoot, it may be wise to treat pre-emptively for this every 6-12 months.

Add pak krachet to that - English name Water Mimosa.

You need to be careful in attempting to elevate iron levels, especially but not exclusively, with supplements

High doses of iron are LIKELY UNSAFE, especially for children. Iron is the most common cause of poisoning deaths in children. Doses as low as 60 mg/kg can be fatal. Iron poisoning can cause many serious problems including stomach and intestinal distress, liver failure, dangerously low blood pressure, and death. If you suspect an adult or child has taken more than the recommended amount of iron, call your healthcare professional or the nearest poison control center immediately.

There is some concern that high intake of iron might increase the chance of developing heart disease. Some studies show that people with high intake of iron, especially from food sources such as red meat, are more likely to have heart disease. This may be especially true for people with type 2 diabetes. But this is controversial. Other studies do not show that iron increases the chance of heart disease. It is too soon to tell for sure if iron increases the chance of heart disease.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-912-iron.aspx?activeingredientid=912&activeingredientname=iron

The key thing is an oxidising agent in the gut at the same time. Thai food will be full of things like lemon and lime juice, so that'll boost absorption. Non-haem (i.e. plant) sources are (IIRC) absorbed better with heam sources present, so again the big mixed gut of food is the way forward. But curried sardines with a bit of lemon or lime in with it will be very high.

beans and pulses

what about chicken blood and chicken feet?Thai delicacies?

if you are in doubt, get the kids iron level tested with a blood test ?

Was told from Isaan Private school, pupils had been tested, my son has not enough iron in his system,

came with some prescription of tablets he should take.

Not easy to get him to eat that medicine regular.wink.png

if you are in doubt, get the kids iron level tested with a blood test ?

Was told from Isaan Private school, pupils had been tested, my son has not enough iron in his system,

came with some prescription of tablets he should take.

Not easy to get him to eat that medicine regular.wink.png

They used to tell medical students that in the developed world all deficiencies were uptake problems rather than intake problems: hormonal or other issues rather than not enough iron. I don't think they are that confident about this any more. When people take in a lot of their calories in sugar and fat the intake of iron-rich food drops. I'd 1) confirm the levels, and 2) ensure that there's not another reason: bleeding hemorrhoids, worms or something similar.

NHS Southampton repeats the advice about using juice/lemon/lime to up absorption.

http://www.uhs.nhs.uk/media/controlleddocuments/patientinformation/digestionandurinaryhealth/adviceforimprovingyourironintake-patientinformation.pdf

Edited by Craig krup

Interesting stuff about absorption.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is get that Iron Fish and pop it in the soups. That, and possibly an iron wok should keep the whole family on track.

I know cereals are fortified these days but I have prefered to keep them away from cereals up till now.