UN says will engage Israel on 'realistic options' for talks

webfact

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Palestinians should do this , the Palestinians should do that the fact of the mater s that, the Palestinians are people like you and me, and they will do the same that you and me would do found in the same situation Stop being such A-holes, and think of what would you do if what is happening to them happened to you and be honest I know what I would do. do you?

The Palestinians have waited almost 100 years now for self determination.

If they do not recognize Israel as a Jewish state, renounce terrorism and sign a comprehensive peace deal, they will be waiting forever. They have failed in combat. They have failed in economic terms. They have failed at pretty much everything. Israel is a success and holds all the cards.
The Palestinian and even Hezbollahs resistance movments would love to switch militairy gear and tactics with IDF and give you a promise that they only will use conventional warfare (heavy handed use of conventional weapons and tactics is acceptable according to Israel - they never gives any appologies or real excuses - the excuses always put the blame on the enemy, such as supposed use of human shields or some such)

If Israeli jews were in the opposite position they would use unconventional warfare as the jews that were the pioneers of Zionism did 70 years ago.

Imagine who would be the new "terrorists" if Palestinians and Hezbollah switches military gear with the Israeli military.

Israel would have to resort to terrorism, because as people said, well they aint going anywhere this time. You can only use what you have available.

This was a thought experiment

I would like to agree with you but, you cannot overcome a 20-30 pt average IQ deficiency with technology.

I would have taken the partition deal in 1948 - like the Israelis did - and had my own country for the last 67 years. Problem solved.

The founding fathers of your country did not settle.

Give me liberty or give me death!!!

I dont think you would have either, unless of course you were a Benedict Arnold

I agree 100% that the majority of Palestinians and Israelis want to get on with their lives in peace. And that what we need is another Yitzhak Rabin and a Nelson Mandela type to negotiate it. Perhaps Isaac Herzog will fill the shoes next election when the present government collapses.
Your idea that Israel could ultimately take as much as it likes of the Occupied West Bank and dump 2.5 million Palestinians that it doesn't want in Jordan is a non starter.
It is illegal under the Geneva Convention, Jordan would not agree to it, the majority of the world community who already recognize Palestine as a state would not unrecognize it just to please Israeli ethnic cleansers. Nor would it create a permanent peace for Israel within secure recognized borders anyway. Because no-one to sign up for it.
No, I am afraid Israel has a got real problem on its hands, and in the words of the OP it had better start looking at realistic options.

I think, unless the Arabs in the West Bank, and Gaza have a complete change of attitude, The West Bank will be swallowed up by Jordan. Israel will have Kept the peices of Land in the West Bank negotiated over in any peace deal. It would be a natural conclusion to a failed state of Palestine, if it were to fail.

Abbas has had time enough to show he could build a nation state, The Arabs would not have been dumped, they would have been absorbed into Jordan. If there were Arabs living within Israels West Bank, They would have the option of staying or leaving, or put another way having Israeli citizenship or Palestinian.

It would then be interesting to see how many want to be ruled by the PA or by Israel?

I will only say if the UN think it can force a deal on anyone they are wrong. They will wake up one day and realise that the peace between Israel and the Arabs won't solve their problems closer to home which is the only reason they are getting involved with the ME.

Look how long it has taken Turkey to even get the door open to the EU to try and become a member State. They are not getting involved because they care about the West Bank. IMO

I agree 100% that the majority of Palestinians and Israelis want to get on with their lives in peace. And that what we need is another Yitzhak Rabin and a Nelson Mandela type to negotiate it. Perhaps Isaac Herzog will fill the shoes next election when the present government collapses.
Your idea that Israel could ultimately take as much as it likes of the Occupied West Bank and dump 2.5 million Palestinians that it doesn't want in Jordan is a non starter.
It is illegal under the Geneva Convention, Jordan would not agree to it, the majority of the world community who already recognize Palestine as a state would not unrecognize it just to please Israeli ethnic cleansers. Nor would it create a permanent peace for Israel within secure recognized borders anyway. Because no-one to sign up for it.
No, I am afraid Israel has a got real problem on its hands, and in the words of the OP it had better start looking at realistic options.

I think, unless the Arabs in the West Bank, and Gaza have a complete change of attitude, The West Bank will be swallowed up by Jordan. Israel will have Kept the peices of Land in the West Bank negotiated over in any peace deal. It would be a natural conclusion to a failed state of Palestine, if it were to fail.

Abbas has had time enough to show he could build a nation state, The Arabs would not have been dumped, they would have been absorbed into Jordan. If there were Arabs living within Israels West Bank, They would have the option of staying or leaving, or put another way having Israeli citizenship or Palestinian.

It would then be interesting to see how many want to be ruled by the PA or by Israel?

I will only say if the UN think it can force a deal on anyone they are wrong. They will wake up one day and realise that the peace between Israel and the Arabs won't solve their problems closer to home which is the only reason they are getting involved with the ME.

Look how long it has taken Turkey to even get the door open to the EU to try and become a member State. They are not getting involved because they care about the West Bank. IMO

If all Palestinians were asked to do is swear allegiance to the State of Israel, I think there may be a chance of your one state solution. Israel after all has got tremendous infrastructure. Make citizenship an earned right by service in the armed forces, public service, or paying taxes for 5 years.
Palestinians with a sense of belonging to a modern state would be very useful in the coming fight against IS...Palestinians hate them as evidenced in the fight against them in the refugee camps of Damascus recently.
But if they are asked to swear allegiance to the Jewish State of Israel, that would be a non starter.
Although ....silly preconditions require silly responses. If I were a Palestinian I'd swear allegiance to the Man in the Moon even... with fingers crossed. Then come the next election vote the Zionists out of office, and rewrite the constitution.
I am joking of course. That's not going to happen either.
If you think Israel can unilaterally declare a splitting of the West Bank between Israel and Jordan, that's not going to happen either.Jordan would not be a part of it, nor would the Arab League, the EU,the UN or the US.
And if you don't have an internationally recognized peace, you got nothing...just a heap more trouble brewing.
Edited by dexterm

I was only joking . But wouldn't it be funny if the dour die hard ultra right wing Zionists said you can all be equal citizens but you must all swear allegiance to the Jewish State of Israel and the Palestinians all called their bluff and said "OK yep".What would the Zionists do then?

What an interesting Option 5 that would be.

C'mon...only joking, but trying to point out how ludicrous this Jewish State business is when ultimately after decades of detente and the disenchantment with religion following a peace agreement and natural transmigrations between peoples who are geographic neighbors for eternity, that is exactly what will happen...an Israelistine. Probably not in my lifetime, but people will eventually see what is in their mutual best interest.

History is a hoot if it weren't so tragic.

Edited by dexterm

A small piece of the puzzle that never gets addressed is the simple fact that the Israelis are probably the best in the world at covert operations. They often control both sides of the fight. There are hundreds of covert Israeli operatives and informants in both the West Bank and Gaza. We assume so much about the Palestinians when in fact, the Israelis have a huge IQ advantage and they use that advantage to manipulate the Palestinians to further the Israeli agenda. During Cast Led, the Palestinians executed at least 20 of these operatives.

We choose to believe so much about this conflict which is not likely true.

A small piece of the puzzle that never gets addressed is the simple fact that the Israelis are probably the best in the world at covert operations. They often control both sides of the fight. There are hundreds of covert Israeli operatives and informants in both the West Bank and Gaza. We assume so much about the Palestinians when in fact, the Israelis have a huge IQ advantage and they use that advantage to manipulate the Palestinians to further the Israeli agenda. During Cast Led, the Palestinians executed at least 20 of these operatives.

We choose to believe so much about this conflict which is not likely true.

You bring up a very good point, except for the ridiculous comment about IQ.

When does the UN have a sit down session with Hamas and the PA/PLO scheduled for

all these realistic options?

I must have missed it.

Never mind when, where, with whom or if the irrelevant UN had a squat session.

Despite all the loud talk here I didn't hear one "realistic option".

I repeat:

assimilation is no option;

two states is no option;

'right of return' is no option.

as any of these 'options' will mean destruction of Israel.

Seems that the only 'realistic options' are:

the war continues with no end in sight;

Islamists destroy Israel;

Israel destroys Islamists.

Bear in mind that Islamists could stop this war, but they wouldn't like to. Israel would like to stop this war but it can't.

A perpetual war or obliteration of one side seems to be the only 'realistic option'.

No need to object as I know where most of the poster's here preferences are - it's a needle in the haystack.

Personally I would chose Israel any time simply because "Live and make merry" sounds to me better than "Live like us or die".

Edited by ABCer

When does the UN have a sit down session with Hamas and the PA/PLO scheduled for

I must have missed it.

I repeat:

two states is no option;

Bear in mind that Islamists could stop this war, but they wouldn't like to. Israel would like to stop this war but it can't.

A perpetual war or obliteration of one side seems to be the only 'realistic option'.

No need to object as I know where most of the poster's here preferences are - it's a needle in the haystack.

Personally I would chose Israel any time simply because "Live and make merry" sounds to me better than "Live like us or die".

It's not all black or white; there are always shades of grey. Flaws in your take it or leave it fallacy are:
Assimilation is an option...it will ultimately happen decades to come anyway.
Two states solution is an option...US and EU and globally supported favorite
The war continues..yes, but Israel is painting itself further into a corner, so no realistic solution economically or politically for Israel's future. Israel will still be looking forever over its shoulder..what sort of future choice is that, when it need not be? Do you honestly believe today's 18 year old future IDF aged pensioner veterans will still be cheering on their grand children in future conflicts with the Palestinians? What sort of legacy or prospect for prosperity for the next generations is that? That's the politics of apathy or no idea.
Palestinians aren't all Islamists..so yours is a straw man fallacy, midst a fog of Islamophobia.
I hope wiser, more positive heads prevail in any future peace negotiations.
Edited by dexterm

I would have taken the partition deal in 1948 - like the Israelis did - and had my own country for the last 67 years. Problem solved.

The founding fathers of my country WON their war. The Palestinian terrorists have done nothing but LOSE over and over again. There is no comparison.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The founding fathers of my country WON their war. The Palestinian terrorists have done nothing but LOSE over and over again. There is no comparison.

No need to even entertain that there is a valid comparison between the two situations.

No need to even entertain that there is a valid comparison between the two situations.

A better comparison would be the European settlers and the American Indian.

Not really. There were Jews in the area long before the Palestinians and there was a Jewish presence continuously for 3,000 years. European settlers just appeared from the other side of the world with no ties to America what-so-ever.

Palestine was a prosperous region before 1948. The main religions were not discriminated. It changed drastically after Zionist occupation.

British Mandate and UN resolutions were not successful.

Palestinian refugees from 1948 who can't provide a birth certificate are not allowed under Israeli laws to return to Palestine territories.

Perhaps another look of the situation before 1948 makes it easier to understand that UN will have to sanction the occupation.

Edited by Thorgal

Palestine was a prosperous region before 1948. The main religions were not discriminated. It changed drastically after Zionist occupation.

Palestinian refugees from 1948 who can't provide a birth certificate are not allowed under Israeli laws to return to Palestine territories.

Perhaps another look of the situation before 1948 makes it easier to understand that UN will have to sanction the occupation.

Palestine was a prosperous region before 1948

British Palestine was nothing but Swamp and Desert. It was far from prosperous.

The main religions were not discriminated. It changed drastically after Zionist occupation.

So the Arabs loved the Jews and wanted them to stay in Israel? What changes was the Arabs ran away.

Actually it was very successful. The Mandate promised the holy land to the Jews, and the UN Voted Israel it into being.

Are you suggesting the UN agree with Israel that the west bank is Israeli and the Arabs are the occupiers? That would make sense.

Palestine was a prosperous region before 1948.

It was prosperous in the sense that Jews dominated business in Jerusalem from the mid 1800s and Arabs - not Palestinian Arabs - from other areas came to provide labor for them. The Arab economy grew at a much slower rate than the Jewish economy.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If all Palestinians were asked to do is swear allegiance to the State of Israel, I think there may be a chance of your one state solution. Israel after all has got tremendous infrastructure. Make citizenship an earned right by service in the armed forces, public service, or paying taxes for 5 years.
Palestinians with a sense of belonging to a modern state would be very useful in the coming fight against IS...Palestinians hate them as evidenced in the fight against them in the refugee camps of Damascus recently.
But if they are asked to swear allegiance to the Jewish State of Israel, that would be a non starter.
Although ....silly preconditions require silly responses. If I were a Palestinian I'd swear allegiance to the Man in the Moon even... with fingers crossed. Then come the next election vote the Zionists out of office, and rewrite the constitution.
I am joking of course. That's not going to happen either.
If you think Israel can unilaterally declare a splitting of the West Bank between Israel and Jordan, that's not going to happen either.Jordan would not be a part of it, nor would the Arab League, the EU,the UN or the US.
And if you don't have an internationally recognized peace, you got nothing...just a heap more trouble brewing.

It wouldn't be a unilateral declaration. If a Palestinian state failed because it was not a viable entity. In effect the people would be stateless. These people would then have an option of which country they could become citizens of.

I was not suggesting Israel would carve up the West Bank between themselves and Jordan. Though that could happen! Israel would have negotiated which Lands it will not give to an Arab state. So the reality would be the Stateless Arabs would become Jordanian citizens. You forget the King of Jordan delcared the West bank Jordanian, against the wishes of the Arab League. it didn''t stop them then, it won't next time.

Again If other religions can have a spititual homeland Why shouldn't Israel become a Jewish State of Israel. This doesn't stop other religions practicing their faiths unlike living in a muslim countrywink.png

I also think you put too much faith in the EU, UN and US.

Obamas islolationism has pushed the inept EU into playing world politics, they will soon have their hands full with the EU Breakup. The UN is biased and has no power to actually inforce their will on any Nation. The Arab League will be in chaos, because the Arab world is about to be turned into turmoil with ISIS/ISIL Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen etc. Will this be the defining decade for Islam will it progress of fall into 6th centuary destruction?

Was that the reason for the backlash against Hamas last summer. The Arab nations were not happy with Hamas, apart from Quatar. Maybe the Arabs have had enough of that game. all promised funds for Gaza but none came.

The Palestinians will be an irrelevance, and now there is speculation that Jordan is next on the ISIS/ISIL list!

What is funny is the EU thinking forcing peace on Israel will make things better? Hahahahahahahaha. The EU's spokesperson is already looking tired from all the diplomacy, and they haven't even gotten started. And when they realize they are being played by the Arabs? Will she scurry off back to Europe with her tail between her legs? whistling.gif

How would Abbas fair if ISIS were in Ramallah? Maybe he won't hang around to find out? cheesy.gif

I must have missed it.

I repeat:

two states is no option;

It's not all black or white; there are always shades of grey. Flaws in your take it or leave it fallacy are:
The war continues..yes, but Israel is painting itself further into a corner, so no realistic solution economically or politically for Israel's future. Israel will still be looking forever over its shoulder..what sort of future choice is that, when it need not be? Do you honestly believe today's 18 year old future IDF aged pensioner veterans will still be cheering on their grand children in future conflicts with the Palestinians? What sort of legacy or prospect for prosperity for the next generations is that? That's the politics of apathy or no idea.
Palestinians aren't all Islamists..so yours is a straw man fallacy, midst a fog of Islamophobia.

While assimilation may and does happen on a marriage level. The idea of total assimilation would not work it deosn't even matter if Israel were for it. The ones against are the Arabs. So that is a none starter. Israel wasn't created for assimilation it was created as a Jewish homeland. So yes todays 18 year old soldiers as pensioners will be cheering on their grand children in any future conflict. You are painting in black and white.

Once Obama is no longer in power we will see how far the US will push Israel, and we will see the EU lapp dog heel to it's masters (US) tune!

As Palestinians aren't all Islamists, Not all Israeli's are left wing apeasers.

And while it might not be good for a nation to look over it's shoulder. Better to know your enemy and be ready to fight than pull the wool over your eyes and pretend for something that will never come.

I would suggest for Abbas it has become anything other than make peace? He hopes his moves to delegitimize Israel will somehow make Israel disappear. If he hopes it will force Israel to the table he is wrong. The EU being a new player, will soon learn they are bashing their head against a brick wall with him.

Both sides need new players for peace to have a chance.

I repeat:

two states is no option;

It is almost touching, - I mean what you are saying.

Your desires, hopes and sincere wishes are honorable.

Unfortunately this is all they are - wishful thinking.

The reality is quite different. The facts are against you. The 3,000 years of history are against you.

Just as my thoughts, observations and logical conclusions are anything but fallacy.

ASSIMILATION IS AN OPTION - write it this big, yet it is not, never was and never will be.

The same goes for a two states solution or a 'right of return'. Sorry, no options here.

And it means absolutely nothing if the USA or China or Russia or UN or EU or the whole World would favour it.

Funny that you think Israel is painting itself into a corner - I think it is the other way around.

Israel is and always will be looking straight at their enemies across the border. It is EU who are looking over their shoulder now because the enemy is within. Can't you really see that?

Once again you are concerned with future IDF soldiers in conflict with 'Palestinians'. Can you reverse the concern?

Maybe they will get tired of losing? Or will lose their 'sponsors'? Or their 'sponsors' will run out of money?

As to your hopes for wise positive heads in future - they are honorable. I wish you to be right. But me, - I am a pessimist.

Have a good day.coffee1.gif

Palestine was a prosperous region before 1948.

It was prosperous in the sense that Jews dominated business in Jerusalem from the mid 1800s and Arabs - not Palestinian Arabs - from other areas came to provide labor for them. The Arab economy grew at a much slower rate than the Jewish economy.
What about the 93% of majority of Palestinian Arabs ? What did they do in the region before 1948 ? Edited by Thorgal

They were mostly tenant farmers and did not own any land. They worked for the rich absentee landlords in Beirut, Damascus and Cairo who did, but that would have been in the 1800s. The Jewish population had increased by a lot in the early 1900s. In about 1850, there were already Jews living in Jerusalem than Arabs and they made the economy work.

Edited by Ulysses G.

They were mostly tenant farmers and did not own any land. They worked for the rich absentee landlords in Beirut, Damascus and Cairo who did, but that would have been in the 1800s. The Jewish population had increased by a lot in the early 1900s. In about 1850, there were already Jews living in Jerusalem than Arabs and they made the economy work.

In your fabrication as usual you muddy the timeline as well as the statistics... "The Jewish population increased by a lot." is meaningless. But when you look at the facts...
Even the The Jewish Virtual Library claims that as far back as 1800 almost 100 years before the founding of Zionism in 1896 and the waves of Jewish migration that Zionism encouraged,Jews formed a mere 8.7% (24,000) and Palestinians 91.3% (275,000) of the population.
Even after the first waves of Jewish migrations 1890 - 1922, the Jewish population of Palestine was only 11% when the first census was taken, and they owned a mere 3% of the land
Further evidence of your myth...
"Prior to 1850 there were in the country only a handful of Jews. In the following 30 years a few hundreds came to Palestine. Most of them were animated by religious motives; they came to pray and to die in the Holy Land, and to be buried in its soil.'
So according to you this handful of orthodox Jews living mainly in Jerusalem were the ones making the economy work attracting thousands of Palestinians.They may have been printing Bibles and carving their tombstones but that was about their only industry.
Lets have a bit of honesty please. The main thrust of Jewish migration (much of it illegal) occurred between 1920 and 1947, and even then at the time of partition Jews only formed max 33% of the population with land ownership 6%, but demanding 56% of the land.
Edited by dexterm

In your fabrication as usual you muddy the timeline as well as the statistics... "The Jewish population increased by a lot." is meaningless. But when you look at the facts...
Even the The Jewish Virtual Library claims that as far back as 1800 almost 100 years before the founding of Zionism in 1896 and the waves of Jewish migration that Zionism encouraged,Jews formed a mere 8.7% (24,000) and Palestinians 91.3% (275,000) of the population.
Even after the first waves of Jewish migrations 1890 - 1922, the Jewish population of Palestine was only 11% when the first census was taken, and they owned a mere 3% of the land
Further evidence of your myth...
"Prior to 1850 there were in the country only a handful of Jews. In the following 30 years a few hundreds came to Palestine. Most of them were animated by religious motives; they came to pray and to die in the Holy Land, and to be buried in its soil.'
So according to you this handful of orthodox Jews living mainly in Jerusalem were the ones making the economy work attracting thousands of Palestinians.They may have been printing Bibles and carving their tombstones but that was about their only industry.
Lets have a bit of honesty please. The main thrust of Jewish migration (much of it illegal) occurred between 1920 and 1947, and even then at the time of partition Jews only formed max 33% of the population with land ownership 6%, but demanding 56% of the land.

Using your source website Jewish virtual Library.

Size of Jewish population in 1918 was 8.1%, By 1931 it was 16.9% and by 1936 it wa 28.1%

Around the mid to late 1800's the total population of about 300,000 of which 24,000 were Jewish or 8.1% of the population.

I am sure you accept that the influx of Jews was because of the fact that by 1920 the British Mandate promised the land the the Jews. That between the 1930's to 1947, all the jews were escaping Nazi persecution.

You also fail to acknowledge that as much as there was ilegal enrty to Israel by Jews, The same was also true of the Arabs

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/mandate.html

By contrast, throughout the Mandatory period, Arab immigration was unrestricted. In 1930, the Hope Simpson Commission, sent from London to investigate the 1929 Arab riots, said the British practice of ignoring the uncontrolled illegal Arab immigration from Egypt, Transjordan and Syria had the effect of displacing the prospective Jewish immigrants.7

The British Governor of the Sinai from 1922-36 observed: “This illegal immigration was not only going on from the Sinai, but also from Transjordan and Syria, and it is very difficult to make a case out for the misery of the Arabs if at the same time their compatriots from adjoining states could not be kept from going in to share that misery.”8

The Peel Commission reported in 1937 that the “shortfall of land is, we consider, due less to the amount of land acquired by Jews than to the increase in the Arab population.”9

Just keeping it honest!