Australian livestock killed with sledgehammers in Vietnam

webfact

Australian livestock killed with sledgehammers in Vietnam

AFP

SYDNEY: -- Australian officials on Wednesday said images of livestock shipped to Vietnam being killed with sledgehammers was "disgusting" but insisted there will be no knee-jerk reaction to ban the lucrative trade.

Activist group Animals Australia has lodged a complaint with the Australian agriculture department about the brutal slaughter after obtaining footage it said showed cattle having their skulls repeatedly smashed at a Vietnamese abattoir which was "too distressing to release publicly".

"Formal complaints have been lodged with authorities," the group said, claiming that thousands of Australian cattle had been slaughtered at abattoirs in Vietnam not approved by Canberra, as required by export controls.

"However, having assessed conditions on the ground we have grave fears about the ongoing situation for cattle in Vietnam and will be meeting face to face with industry representatives next week."

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce said he first became aware of the complaints in March and the abuse was limited to three family-run abattoirs in northern Vietnam, not large commercial operations.

"Obviously it's blunt instrument trauma, it's disgusting, it's something that happens in a range of parts of the world but we don't abide by it, we don't condone it," he told national radio.

He added that an investigation had been launched to identify the exporters supplying the abattoirs and "if people need to be kicked out of the system they will".

But he ruled out suspending trade to Vietnam, which has become one of Australia's biggest live cattle export markets worth more than Aus$100 million annually.

"We all live in Southeast Asia. If we want to keep our relationships on an even keel then we can't have knee-jerk reactions," he said.

"We have to deal with the issue, fix the issue, work with the Vietnamese government, work with the system."

The RSPCA said there had been problems in Vietnam for some time.

"This is a serious problem, we should not be allowing more cattle to be exported until these issues have been sorted out," RSPCA chief scientist Bidda Jones told reporters.

Australia's live cattle export trade has been under the spotlight before, notably in 2013 when shipments to Egypt were suspended for months after abattoir footage shot by animal rights activists showed "horrific" mistreatment of cows.

Australia's live cattle trade to Indonesia was also temporary halted in 2011 on cruelty concerns.

Overall, the live export trade is worth about US$1 billion a year to Australia and employs thousands of people.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-05-20

It would be better if the cattle were slaughtered in Australia and the carcasses shipped to Vietnam to save the cattle the unnecessary long journey to their cruel death.

Edited by uty6543

"However, having assessed conditions on the ground we have grave fears about the ongoing situation for cattle in Vietnam and will be meeting face to face with industry representatives next week."

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce said he first became aware of the complaints in March and the abuse was limited to three family-run abattoirs in northern Vietnam, not large commercial operations.

"Obviously it's blunt instrument trauma, it's disgusting, it's something that happens in a range of parts of the world but we don't abide by it, we don't condone it," he told national radio.

He added that an investigation had been launched to identify the exporters supplying the abattoirs and "if people need to be kicked out of the system they will".

But he ruled out suspending trade to Vietnam, which has become one of Australia's biggest live cattle export markets worth more than Aus$100 million annually.

Grave fears?

Not grave enough to put a dent in that Aus$100 though.

It would be better if the cattle were slaughtered in Australia and the carcasses shipped to Vietnam to save the cattle the unnecessary long journey to their cruel death.

Isn't the purpose that they can ship them via ship, so the meat is fresh. Otherwise the meat would have to be flown there, multipling the price somewhat.

The slaughterers in Australia would probably be Vietnamese anyway.

A well aimed strike with a sledge hammer should be sufficient for humane slaughter....not much different to the captive bolt method in common use in abbatoirs around the world, including in Australia.

In fact, I believe the hammer method was used in Australia, but was discontinued not for humane reasons, but because of bone fragments getting in to the brains and causing distress to consumers.

I suspect that in part, this footage was taken by PETA types who would choose to release a chicken from a cage over a human.

One way to handle this might be to show the Vietnamese that if an animal is distressed before slaughter there will be adrenaline in the meat. Adrenaline or something it triggers has an unpleasant taste IMHO. Cattle aren't very tame if at all and they are probably tied up first to even make it possible.

In the West the animals are often caught unaware as they go through a cattle chute where they are used to going. They never know anything is going to happen or happened as they are shot between the eyes with a small caliber rifle or a captive bolt device is used from just above.

That may sound gross enough but at least they aren't frightened or caused any pain. They think they are going through the chute for feeding.

Edited by NeverSure

A well aimed strike with a sledge hammer should be sufficient for humane slaughter....not much different to the captive bolt method in common use in abbatoirs around the world, including in Australia.

In fact, I believe the hammer method was used in Australia, but was discontinued not for humane reasons, but because of bone fragments getting in to the brains and causing distress to consumers.

I suspect that in part, this footage was taken by PETA types who would choose to release a chicken from a cage over a human.

I agree with you. My experience with cattle is that they aren't tame and they'd have to be roped and tied to something for this to happen. All of that would generate fear. The killing should be a total surprise to the animal for several reasons including being humane.

Just my $.02

Isn't the purpose that they can ship them via ship, so the meat is fresh. Otherwise the meat would have to be flown there, multipling the price somewhat.

Most slaughtering in Australia is done by muslims

One way to handle this might be to show the Vietnamese that if an animal is distressed before slaughter there will be adrenaline in the meat. Adrenaline or something it triggers has an unpleasant taste IMHO. Cattle aren't very tame if at all and they are probably tied up first to even make it possible.

In the West the animals are often caught unaware as they go through a cattle chute where they are used to going. They never know anything is going to happen or happened as they are shot between the eyes with a small caliber rifle or a captive bolt device is used from just above.

That may sound gross enough but at least they aren't frightened or caused any pain. They think they are going through the chute for feeding.

You can choose to believe no fear but of course they know something not good is nearby.

Yes, that is the ONLY way. The live export trade has shown to be cruel in and of itself with it's barbaric transport arrangements. Add to that the cruelty involved in the slaughter in Indonesia and now these repulsive revelations.

I'd rather pay more tax and subsidise beef cattle than support live exports.

Basically correct NS. A relaxed beast at moment of death/stunning results in relaxed muscles...ie tender meat. Adrenaline too affects rigor mortis (I had not heard about the taste factor, though)

Shooting a deer while it runs away in fear or sneaking up on one happily grazing....I have never noticed a taste difference. So, chickens are calm when they are killed, or are they dying in fear? And fish? Fighting for their life and trying to get that hook out of thai mouth.....still taste the same as the calm ones. They are animals. Not human. Well, I guess fish are not really animals, but they certainly are not human. So why the emphasis on "humane" slaughter?

"We all live in Southeast Asia. If we want to keep our relationships on an even keel then we can't have knee-jerk reactions," he said...

Money, revenues and greed trumps all, where is PETA and the other bleeding hearts animal

protection agencies that get hundreds of millions in donations every year? where are they when

you need them? Ah ok, throwing red paints on people wearing furs somewhere around the world?

Mate I would rather release a chicken from a cage than most humans, as they're generally in cages for a good reason and there's better ways to get eggs.

I can't imagine any of the sledge hammer blows would have been done by a skilled and competent person. If the Vietnamese went torturing dogs and skinning them alive they're causing distress to another animal some way.

Disgusting

LIfe can be tough in VN. Stayed in a small town north of Hanoi for 2 weeks one winter. Saw hogs killed and butchered on the city sidewalk. Folks stopping by, looking and buying the fresh meat. Sure, left a blood spot, but then it rained.

Most slaughtering in Australia is done by muslims

From what I can discern from what is happening around the world...there will be much more Muslim slaughtering to come...

I saw a program showing the transportation of live cattle,

the reason for transporting them live is;

1; they (cattle) move themselves on and off the ship

2; they (cattle) are severely fattened during the journey

One thing that goes through my mind, do cattle get sea

sick, and the smell, bye.

Hell ya.

I'm totally in favor of unethical treatment of animals.

We all are, right boys?

<deleted> those chicken cage releasers over human PETA-type twits.

And to think I'm worrying myself sick about who will look after our pet cat while we holiday overseas. . .

...don't leave pussy with a Chinese family, as by the time you get it back

- it's tail will have been sledgehammered/ or broken off, to ensure it's not perfect anymore, and so not take up a human's place in heaven, when it eventually passes on.

I read somewhere/somewhen?? live export from AUS was only a requirement for muslim-destined export?

If watching the vietnam method stresses you out - don't Google for, and watch what the Nepalese do when they do their 5 yearly mass animal sacrificial slaughter.

And I mean MASS!!! (also a mess)

Rather than get all worked up about how horribly inhumane it is, take up a collection and buy the b*stards some pneumatic retractable bolt guns. Problem solved. Provide them free and maybe Vietnam will vote with Australia at the UN. Nah, moral outrage is far less costly and it feels better too.

Rather than get all worked up about how horribly inhumane it is, take up a collection and buy the b*stards some pneumatic retractable bolt guns. Problem solved. Provide them free and maybe Vietnam will vote with Australia at the UN. Nah, moral outrage is far less costly and it feels better too.

One issue is that you need to train the animals to go through a chute for feeding. Feeding like this is normal where an animal is grain fed at the end to fatten it up, and marble and tenderize the meat.

Once the animal learns that there is feed at the end of the chute it will go through it with people on a platform above it and have no worries. That is when the animal can be dropped humanely without it even knowing it ever happened. FWIW this is at about 15 months old for a good beef steer.

At about 1 year old the grain supplement starts and continues for about three months until slaughter. That is, to get the best beef from a good steer. If the animal is shipped it should be early and then it should be finished (fattened with grain and tenderized from lack of free range exercise) where it will be slaughtered.

I've never heard of a good beef being shipped and then slaughtered unless sold early and finished at destination in the US or Canada. When they ship them to the cities the animals have been killed, hung, dressed, skinned and are in refrigerated trucks or box cars. They need to hang in refrigeration for 21 days to get past rigor mortis and for enzymes to break down tissues and tenderize the meat.

Basically correct NS. A relaxed beast at moment of death/stunning results in relaxed muscles...ie tender meat. Adrenaline too affects rigor mortis (I had not heard about the taste factor, though)

Shooting a deer while it runs away in fear or sneaking up on one happily grazing....I have never noticed a taste difference. So, chickens are calm when they are killed, or are they dying in fear? And fish? Fighting for their life and trying to get that hook out of thai mouth.....still taste the same as the calm ones. They are animals. Not human. Well, I guess fish are not really animals, but they certainly are not human. So why the emphasis on "humane" slaughter?

You had me at "Fish are not animals."

Congratulations, you win the internet today!

sickos

Have you seen how they treat and cut up the dogs for restaurants ? A bullet is cheap and painless but they are very sadistic people these Asians.

Satisfaction is written all over their face.

Have a good look at Pork production closer to home. Might be a little less easy to cast aspersions with regard to the treatment of animals. "Pig Tales: An Omnivore's Quest for Sustainable Meat".