Car registration - one-time, or annual ?

Is car registration a one-time event,or does anything need to be done annually to keep it current ? I am thinking not just of the registration, but of the insurance requirement (PLPD, or paw-raw-baw) When the insurance is updated, is it necessary to present the receipt for that at a government office, or is it sufficient to carry it in the vehicle ?

The annual requirements are tax and insurance and after 7 years the car will also need to be tested annually for "road worthiness"

Registration is only done when buying/selling,colour change or some other modifications.

What "tax" are you referring to ? When and where do we pay it ? Just a few days short of the 1st anniversary of our registration, we have received nothing in the way of a renewal form or reminder. And we are still living at the same address.

What tax? Would call it a car tax.

The DLT does not send any letters/bills etc.

This is Thailand. No direct debit, no standing order.

You need a good wall calendar.

You pay cash upfront.

And yes, due date is the "anniversary" of the car registration as found in the blue book.

No reminder.

But a penalty fee/interest for late payment tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

The tax is a sticker in the window, it clearly has a date of expiry though it's written in Thai.

You need government insurance purchased the same day as you renew the tax, it's irrelevant if you have private insurance regardless of how much it cost, you still need to purchase government insurance on the day that you renew tax. The process of buying the tax is easy, just take the new insurance and the blue registration book along to any vehicle office along with the money.

Once a car is 7 years old (actually 7 years after it was registered in Thailand) you will require a test, I have yet to hear of any vehicle failing this test.

The owner of the vehicle need not attend, anyone can do it with the right documents. The vehicle owner does not need even need to sign anything.

Edited by technologybytes

Terms need to be defined.

"Registration sticker" or call it "car tax" ---- must be paid each year. Expiration date is on the sticker. For our Honda City about 1400/year.

P.R.B or "compulsory" insurance needs to be paid once a year at the same time and that usually runs about 650 baht.

For the above two you can go to any P.R.B. shop...they are everywhere.

I don't believe it is mandatory to have normal insurance like it is for us in the US, but the vast majority of falang do get normal car insurance and that is usually "first class" insurance and cost anywhere from 12,000 to 23,000 per year depending on policy details and age of car.

As far as cars going for safety checks. I know on a motorbike it is every year after it is 5 years old. Our car isn't old enough yet, but I thought it was also 5 years. You cannot get your new registration sticker until you have had the safety check and bring in the piece of paper they give you that says your vehicle passes. Since I haven't actually experienced these safety checks yet on our car I invite corrections to my assumptions.

I don't believe it is mandatory to have normal insurance like it is for us in the US

This wording is a bit unclear to me.

Yes it is not mandatory to have an extra (private) insurance, but highly (!) recommended for foreigners.

The insured sums of the mandatory ("sticker") insurance are a joke (for us at least).

You won't like to sit in a police prison cell not knowing where to get the money for the bond.

Remember that foreigners will usually be kept imprisoned until the compensation for the accident victim is assured.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can go to one of those facilities that test you vehicle (after 7 years), the once with a cogwheel sign in front. They will do the tax and renew insurance for you, they will check engine number and frame number. You give them the car book and and come back in a few days they will have the new sticker for you.

The car tax and mandatory government 3rd party insurance should run from the same date. I always get my insurance broker to obtain the tax disc and pay the total amount to them. Saves me a trip to the Transport Office.

No they do not send you a letter...

You have to remember the expiry date of the road tax yourself, and get your arse down to the transport office to renew it - after obtaining the pawrawbaw and insurance, which you need to present when renewing the tax.

The fee is annual. You do not get reminder notices - it's your responsibility to know when it's due.

At any checkpoint, the first thing a policemen looks at is your registration sticker. If it's overdue, expect protracted negotiations - especially if you're a falang.

If the vehicle is more than 7 years old, it's a good idea to go to a mechanic first to get the brakes and steering adjusted before the compulsory check. Brake linings don't last forever.

There is a compulsory insurance cover that goes with the registration. You can take out insurance at various levels for damage to your own car, or to other vehicles. If the vehicle is worth less than 200,000 baht, probably only worthwhile to cover against other vehicle damage.

So where is the car ta office at Chonburi Pattaya ?

And no i do not think that you must pay insurance the SAME DAY as you pay tax, what a stupid idea.

A Google search (Pattaya Transport Dept.) will show you the map. You do have to pay the compulsory insurance at the same time you pay the tax.

Edited by giddyup

What "tax" are you referring to ? When and where do we pay it ? Just a few days short of the 1st anniversary of our registration, we have received nothing in the way of a renewal form or reminder. And we are still living at the same address.

Are you serious, you own a car and you never heard of paying your yearly tax...your road tax....that round little sticker in the corner of your windscreen that one renews every year in every country in the world... I would think.

Are you serious, you own a car and you never heard of paying your yearly tax...your road tax....that round little sticker in the corner of your windscreen that one renews every year in every country in the world... I would think.

No reminder, it's up to you to remember when the tax is due.

You do need compulsory insurance. But it does not have to be bought the same day as your road tax it just needs to be valid ( I get mine with my private insurance every September and renew the road tax every February and have done for nine years. The Pattaya transport dept hold an outreach facility on the first floor of Big C South Pattaya every Saturday morning where you can renew your car or motorbike tax. You will need blue/green book, compulsory insurance certificate, test certificate where appropriate and the fee which is shown in the back of the vehicle book although this is reduced as the vehicle gets older.

You can repeat it as many times as you want but it is still wrong.

And no i do not think that you must pay insurance the SAME DAY as you pay tax, what a stupid idea.

A Google search (Pattaya Transport Dept.) will show you the map. You do have to pay the compulsory insurance at the same time you pay the tax.

You can repeat it as many times as you want but it is still wrong.

Yes, does not have to be at the same time, but sorting this out at the same time really is common practice.