May 22 coup pre-planned or provoked by the situation?

webfact

FIRST ANNIVERSARY
May 22 coup pre-planned or provoked by the situation?

POLITICAL DESK
THE NATION

30260672-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AS THE NATION marks the first anniversary of the coup, witnesses are recounting what happened inside the Army Club on that day when then Army chief General Prayut Chan-o-cha announced his decision to seize power, after the conflicting political sides failed to reach an agreement at a two-day meeting brokered by the military.

However, people who witnessed first-hand the coup differ on whether it happened at the spur of the moment or was a well-plotted move.

Veteran politician Suthep Thaugsuban, who led street protests against the pre-coup government, said he was convinced the power seizure resulted from thr Yingluck government's stubborn refusal to help resolve the political deadlock.

Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya, who was then assistant Army commander-in-chief, said that he believed Prayut would not have staged the coup if a solution to the impasse had been reached.

"The government at that time admitted that they could not run the country. That led him to make a decision. He saw the need to seize control of power," Paiboon added.

The previous Pheu Thai-led administration was in a disarray after then-prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was ousted by a court order for abuse of power, in connection with her government's improper transfer of National Security Council secretary-general Thawil Pliensri. The Pheu Thai government was suffering from a negative image following more than six months of anti-government rallies led by Suthep's People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Politicians from the Pheu Thai Party said they believed the coup was well plotted, like the one in September 2006. They pointed to a "similar pattern" that also happened before the previous power seizure almost nine years ago. The ruling party was forced to dissolve the House of Representatives. Then the opposition party boycotted the general elections, and the polls were declared void by court.

A Pheu Thai source said that when martial law was declared, the party's key figures and leaders of the red shirts' United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) believed there would be |a coup soon. "But we still agreed |to join the meeting in order to |find a peaceful way out," the source said.

Another Pheu Thai politician said the military seemed to have planned well before staging the coup. "They did their homework very well. They determined the targets and carefully planned what needed to be done and with whom, before they announced the coup."

Key representatives from the conflicting sides - including Pheu Thai and Democrat parties, the PDRC, and the UDD - attended the meeting hosted by the Army on May 21 and 22.

Pheu Thai's veteran politician Chaturon Chaisang said that he was not surprised by the coup, as the party's analysts and strategists had expected it.

"The invocation of martial law indicated that they were planning a coup," Chaturon said.

Suthep, who has been ordained a Buddhist monk, recounted what happened on the day of coup, in a recent interview with The Nation. He said that representatives of the caretaker government seemed to be overly confident with their grip on power and refused to step down to provide a way out of the ongoing political deadlock.

Then, before the meeting General Prayut politely announced "So, I would like to seize power," according to Suthep.

"Everyone was shocked. They clearly sank in their seats and almost fell over backwards. I felt much relieved at the time. For me, it was game over," Suthep said.

General Paiboon said he believed it was a difficult decision for General Prayut. He said Prayut would not have staged the coup if the caretaker government could have run the country and both conflicting sides could have reached a solution. "The government's representatives admitted that they could not run the country," he added.

Both Suthep and Paiboon dismissed allegations of collusion between the PDRC and the military.

Chaturon blamed the military for refusing to help the caretaker government solve the political crisis. "They chose to wait until the situation got out of hand and used that as an excuse to stage the coup," he said.

The politician said the root cause of the country's problems had not been solved by the post-coup Prayut government. Also, the rules in new draft constitution were undemocratic, which could lead to increased discontent and more conflict.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/May-22-coup-pre-planned-or-provoked-by-the-situati-30260672.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-22

Chaturon blamed the military for refusing to help the caretaker government solve the political crisis. "They chose to wait until the situation got out of hand and used that as an excuse to stage the coup," he said.

Hmm. Could it be his party was responsible because they didn't solve the political crisis during their term in office? They were given plenty of time, but did nothing. Typical PTP statement. Blame others.

The politician said the root cause of the country's problems had not been solved by the post-coup Prayut government. Also, the rules in new draft constitution were undemocratic, which could lead to increased discontent and more conflict.

The root cause of the country's problems is political. This needs to be solved by the 2 major political parties. Not by the army. Easy for PTP to make the first gesture. Not spew more hated via "Peace" TV.

The army is doing the best they can given the current situation. Which is not good.

Please be careful of your posts:

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Hmm. Could it be his party was responsible because they didn't solve the political crisis during their term in office? They were given plenty of time, but did nothing. Typical PTP statement. Blame others.

The root cause of the country's problems is political. This needs to be solved by the 2 major political parties. Not by the army. Easy for PTP to make the first gesture. Not spew more hated via "Peace" TV.

The army is doing the best they can given the current situation. Which is not good.

A political party that CAUSED the crisis cannot be the one to resolved it. Thus, there was no resolution, but only suppression.

And opened and covet methods of suppression were employed. DSI, Police and armed militants.

maybe the fact that the ptp had their terrorist reds killing kids and innocents had something to do with it considering they refused to stop them or even arrest/investigate the killings they were doing. The fact that ptp ministers were on stage with the red scum leaders cheering the deaths of the children didnt help them. Typical ptp, blame everyone else, all they were interested in was bringing thaksin home and giving him back all of the corrupt money he had stolen from the thai people then had seized by the govt, as they say thaksin thinks, ptp do.

maybe the fact that the ptp had their terrorist reds killing kids and innocents had something to do with it considering they refused to stop them or even arrest/investigate the killings they were doing. The fact that ptp ministers were on stage with the red scum leaders cheering the deaths of the children didnt help them. Typical ptp, blame everyone else, all they were interested in was bringing thaksin home and giving him back all of the corrupt money he had stolen from the thai people then had seized by the govt, as they say thaksin thinks, ptp do.

Congratulations!! You have done it again...........

Turned yet another thread in a "but Thaksin" thread!!

As for if the coup, of course it was pre-planned!! Just follow the money trail......... Who sponsored Suthep's roadshow??

The same elite that instructed their loyal parrot Mr P to repeat No Coup, No Coup...............

Considering how many coups the army has staged since 1932, why would anyone be surprised to find the army had made contingency plans to overthrow every government just out of habit; even for governments that already had army commanders as head of state. All armies all over the world make contingency plans. No doubt the US army has contingency plans for martial law in the US. I hope they never use them but I would be surprised if they didn't have plans.

Of course, General Prayut could have got out of the 'wrong side of the bed' one morning and just decided, "I'll stage a coup today". /sarc

Congratulations!! You have done it again...........

Turned yet another thread in a "but Thaksin" thread!!

As for if the coup, of course it was pre-planned!! Just follow the money trail......... Who sponsored Suthep's roadshow??

The same elite that instructed their loyal parrot Mr P to repeat No Coup, No Coup...............

well thaksin was running the government wasnt he so he is bound to be implicated in this topic..the public sponsered the roadshow didnt you see the money they were handing over,but if you can post a link to the money trail i will retract my post ...

Considering how many coups the army has staged since 1932, why would anyone be surprised to find the army had made contingency plans to overthrow every government just out of habit; even for governments that already had army commanders as head of state. All armies all over the world make contingency plans. No doubt the US army has contingency plans for martial law in the US. I hope they never use them but I would be surprised if they didn't have plans.

Of course, General Prayut could have got out of the 'wrong side of the bed' one morning and just decided, "I'll stage a coup today". /sarc

the us has plans in case of war with the uk n vis versa..it would be a stupid country that doesnt mate so yes you are 100% correct..

Perhaps. But I would suggest he suddenly realised he was due to retire in September 2014 as CIC and was looking around for a new job.

"I think PM would suit me" or some such pillow talk. thumbsup.gif

For years before the 2014 unrest in Bangkok there has been (and still is) unrest in the South of Thailand. Thousands of people have been killed, some in horrible ways. Schools have been torched, bombs explode ...

Yet the Army has never used this daily horror to stage a coup, to bring "peace, happiness and true democracy" to Thai people in the South.

There was almost a civil war in Bangkok in 2010, but the Army didn't seem to feel it necessary to bring peace and happiness ....

and then there were a few problems (relatively "few", compared to the ones referred to above) and all of a sudden the Army needs to stage a coup to bring Happiness and True Democracy? Give me a break!

PT and the Shins cant come out and admit that it was their blunder of insisting on the amnesty bill and their blatant corruption that brought the people out on the streets so they have to make up stories in an attempt to cover their mistakes.

The root cause of the protests and coup was the amnesty bill had that never been pushed then there would never have been a coup.

The protests were going before Suthep came out as a leader not only in BKK but in the provinces and overseas, even the reds protested that abortion of a bill.

So PT now make up their excuses. "It was all a conspiracy between the rich elite led by Suthep and the military, we tried our best for the poor but in the end we were overwhelmed" "It was all pre planned, we didn't have a chance, but next time it will be different vote for us again and we will defeat them and return the power to the people"

Bovine excrement. They brought on their own demise by their disregard for the people and the law and the refusal of the few remaining appointed caretaker cabinet ministers refusal to negotiate.

12 successsful coups in the past does form a nice consistent data to suggest coups were part of a larger agenda. The circumstances and events may be different but the motives are pretty much the same. The visible constituents are part players with the real masterminds in the shadow.

A coup rather requires a significant amount of planning, as you have to ensure that the right people are in the right places at the right time to actually take over, and all of them know exactly what to do. It has to be prepared and they have to be briefed, and probably rehearsed.. By definition it is planned.

You don't just stand up, yawn, scratch your nether regions and announce "I'm bored with all this, I'm taking over..." At least not without knowing that your loyal lieutenants are in place and waiting for the word.

Edited by JAG

Ask these guys ;)

Gens. Prawit Wongsuwan and Anupong Paochinda, and Daopong Ratanasuwan, Prem Tinsulanonda.

Gens. Udomdet, Thirachai Nakwanich, and Walit Rojanapadki.

The coup has been in the making since 2011, of course it was planned, it just needed the "moment" in which was the right time to stage it.

Coups are complex Military Operations, it involves quite a few moving parts, it's not something you can suddenly do on a whim, you need to know which units will stand by you, and which units will distance themselves, after all a coup is against the highest laws of the land.

It's more about the imminent future of the country than it was about the protests, these were the excuse to stage it, timing in coups has to be perfect.

It's no surprise as to whom succeeded Prayuth as Head of the Army either, connections are everything, the dots are there to be joined.

Perhaps. But I would suggest he suddenly realised he was due to retire in September 2014 as CIC and was looking around for a new job.

"I think PM would suit me" or some such pillow talk. thumbsup.gif

I've tried and tried, but there is no way that I can imagine the present PM indulging in pillow talk!biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

What is pre-planned, it's planned. Idiots

Question is, how much planning went on prior to the pre-planning of the plans for the coup?.

"Pre-planning",makes about as much sense as "pre-sale". Buzz words.

You make plans, you take action. End of. wink.png

By all accounts Prayuth was reluctant to stage the coup, the outside influence though differently, I have always stated he was merely the tool to stage the coup, and that he was influenced by others. The information is out there open source, its not really difficult to connect the dots.

For all his faults, Suthep I believe was telling the truth when he said he and Prayuth amongst others have colluded against the Shins, if he wasn't, why has PM not sued him for defamation, after all that's a serious charge to lay against the head of the Army, and yet he brushed it off?

Military coups not only need logistics planning but also political planning. For example:

What civilians can be trusted to become part of the new, coup installed government?

What businesses will back the coup without crippling national strikes?

What nations will support the security of the coup in case of "resistence?"

What current government officials are willing to serve a military government?

What political solutions worked in previous coups in governing the nation?

What new political solutions are needed in governing the nation?

What military officers are capable and trusted to govern the coup and the Thai people?

The military needs more than a Coup for Dummies Guidebook. But with 11 previous coups the military has a lot of experience!

Paryut says he's not a politician. UNTRUE

He is the ultimate politician - one who holds all political power.

"Prayut would not have staged the coup if .... both conflicting sides could have reached a solution."

Pure dribble.

That is not a democratic soldier speaking but a military commander. Conflict is contrary to a military CHAIN OF COMMAND. It is not in democracy.

In a democratic system of governance, conflicting sides are NOT required to reach consensus, to resolve their differences. A democratic system actually encourages institutions that promote conflict, debate, opposition, principally through the institution called freedom of expression. And in a democratic system the ultimate exercise of that expression is at the VOTING BOOTH, not at GUNPOINT.

Neither the PTP nor the Democrats nor any of the other 30+ political parties need to give up their political principles except to the extent that their political platforms can have an influence on the political landscape of the nation. Suthep says he doesn't do coalition governments; that's his right. But everyone must respect and protect the RULE OF LAW established by a pluralist-approved constitution. Unfortunately, the military sees itself having extra constitutionality that places itself ABOVE any civilian constitution.

How much do you get paid to write stuff like this. Not only are your comments wrong, its debased of any truth. A elected government was forced into an election, an election that they again won, but the third force in this country then denied 20 million people their votes. After 2 hours of mediating the army turned to a coup. May I remind you that reconciliation in this country cant be achieved in 2 hours, it will take years. Until people like you stop hating the people on the other side of the political spectrum there can be no reconciliation and thus no future for this country. Stop blaming the other people and start changing the country by changing yourself.

suthep belongs in jail

To put Suthep in jail

first he has to be charged with a crime,

next he has to go to court,

next he has to have a trial,

then he has to be found guilty

then he is allowed to appeal and is allowed bail

and when all the appeals fail

he goes to jail.

Now Thaksin followed all those steps except the go to jail bit.

He skipped bail and fled from the country.

HE is the one who ought to be in jail.