Tourist Police Dreamworld

brommers

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends a lot of which city and volunteer police group you're talking about.

The culture and role of these farang police volunteer groups seems to vary from place to place, depending on who's in charge of the local police, the system they want, and the type of volunteers involved. Sometimes the volunteers seem to be attached to the regular Thai police, and sometimes instead attached to the Tourist Police.

If I'm not mistaken, you can look to the volunteer groups in Pattaya and Phuket and find past news reports and posts here re questionable activities.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722913-former-phuket-police-volunteer-garry-halpin-jailed-for-dealing-meth/

The article refers to this guy as a former police volunteer at the time of his sentencing. But if I recall correctly, the news reports in the case suggested he was involved in illicit stuff while serving as a volunteer, and then dismissed.

In Pattaya, meanwhile, I gather there are two different groups of police volunteers who report to different entities...and have different manners of operation.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/237931-pattayas-fareng-police-volunteers/

All in all, a bit of a jumble...

BTW, based on news reports here, there also apparently are Thai police volunteers, or at least people reported to be, who sometimes pop up allegedly committing various kinds of crime.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824511-two-pattaya-police-volunteers-wanted-for-theft-and-abduction/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824756-pattaya-police-search-for-suspects-in-police-volunteer-theft-and-abduction-case/

were shown pictures of each of the 300 Volunteers who currently work for Pattaya Police.

But back to Pattaya, once I parked at 7/11 and ran in for a water came out and they had put a barrier in the stores parking lot around my rental motorbike that said xxx amount to park.

It sounds as if the barrier was moveable. Why didn't you just move it yourself?

I did start to move my bike but he took my keys out of the ignition and I didn't want a physical alteration with the very aggressive man and who knows how many others who were hanging around and would have had his back. Dying over a few baht isn't my idea of a fun beach vacation. Went to the police instead and just wasted some more of my vacation time.

But back to Pattaya, once I parked at 7/11 and ran in for a water came out and they had put a barrier in the stores parking lot around my rental motorbike that said xxx amount to park.

I did start to move my bike but he took my keys out of the ignition and I didn't want a physical alteration with the very aggressive man and who knows how many others who were hanging around and would have had his back. Dying over a few baht isn't my idea of a fun beach vacation. Went to the police instead and just wasted some more of my vacation time.

Wise decision on your part. It's a shame the Police were of no help. Was it a Tourist Police office that you visited or City Police? Any time you want to involve police, it should be Tourist Police. Even if one is detained by City Police or Traffic Police, one should ALWAYS request that the Tourist Police be notified, and no action taken until they arrive.

All I know is here in Chiang Mai they did have a little clout. Several years ago we had a fellow living here who was a real pain in the neck. Every once in awhile he would think the management was cheating him so he would threaten them with the Tourist Police and get his way. Apparently the tourist police of that time had some authority. I have no idea of what is going on in the organization now.

I think they have forgotten the plastic bb gun from the nearest toy shop 500 baht. Or is that just for the Pattaya volunteers?

What about the cost of having your Fortuna made up to look like a real police car like some guy in CM did.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704867-foreign-police-in-chiang-mai/

Edited by MESmith

Getting back to the OP point of not wanting to ride a bicycle in Thailand. People are still cycling probably more than ever. People are still riding motorcycles even though motorcyclists have died in the last 24 hours. People are still driving cars even though there are 10 tonne trucks speeding through red lights, speeding around corners on the wrong side of the road. The dangers there for all road users.

If the Tourist Police are setting up a bike ride to help raise awareness of safety for cyclists i think its a good thing. Its push in the right direction.

Wise decision on your part. It's a shame the Police were of no help. Was it a Tourist Police office that you visited or City Police? Any time you want to involve police, it should be Tourist Police. Even if one is detained by City Police or Traffic Police, one should ALWAYS request that the Tourist Police be notified, and no action taken until they arrive.

My first post "went into police station next door and the tourist police totally sided with the guy who wanted money for parking"

Think it was regular police station and this falang had his own office, maybe not a tourist police and since he was a Westerner I assumed he was but in full uniform and working in police station.

Edited by junglechef

My first post "went into police station next door and the tourist police totally sided with the guy who wanted money for parking"

Think it was regular police station and this falang had his own office, maybe not a tourist police and since he was a Westerner I assumed he was but in full uniform and working in police station.

There are several Farang who are actually employed full time by the Royal Thai Police, one of them stationed here in Chiang Mai. I don't know where the others are serving. These guys were Law Enforcement Officers in their home countries, working for various organizations, not just police forces. You can tell the difference between them and the Volunteer Thai Police by the fact that they carry firearms. The Volunteers do not. Each Thai police force has its own distinct shoulder patch so it's easy to tell them apart.

Edited by FolkGuitar

There are several Farang who are actually employed full time by the Royal Thai Police, one of them stationed here in Chiang Mai. I don't know where the others are serving. These guys were Law Enforcement Officers in their home countries, working for various organizations, not just police forces. You can tell the difference between them and the Volunteer Thai Police by the fact that they carry firearms. The Volunteers do not. Each Thai police force has its own distinct shoulder patch so it's easy to tell them apart.

beatdeadhorse.gif

At the time of its creation, the Royal Thai Tourist Police placed notices in several local tourist magazines, organizing a morning meeting at a hotel to invite those wishing to become Foreign Volunteer Tourist Police Assistants. That was about 10 years ago. The program has taken several ups and downs since then as the concept was refined and the role of these volunteers further defined. At its height, the number of volunteers was about 30 here in Chiang Mai, and they could be seen in the evenings walking the streets of the Night Bazaar, around Thapae Gate, Chiang Mai Gate,Saturday and Sunday Walking Streets, and several major tourist attractions, as well as stationed at the Tourist Police Headquarters. Organizational changes reduced that number when the Tourist Police began 'requiring' a 20-hour per week 'donation.' These days, the organization still exists, but the number of volunteers is significantly reduced.

At no time did the volunteers in Chiang Mai have police powers, nor did they function as 'undercover' moles to ferret out criminals. At all times, the volunteers were simply a liaison between Police and foreign tourists, their main duty was to provide aid to the tourist seeking language, locations, directions, and asked-for assistance.

If you wish further information, or wish to contact this group, a phone call to the Royal Thai Tourist Police will get you there.

Bunch of wannabes who couldn't get to wear the paraphernalia of donut munchers in their home countries...

In fact, most of the volunteers did NOT want to wear police-like uniforms. They requested Blazer-style jackets instead. As they were not doing Police duties, they didn't think they should be wearing Police-style uniforms. However that idea was rejected by the Tourist Police. Thais do like military-style uniforms...

And governments...

FolkGuitar:

As far as 'reports' go, would you please provide a link to the reports of their activities in other cities. Not a link to YouTube or some other ThaiVisa thread, but some valid reporting of their activities.

Pretty much shoot yourself in the foot there.

You affirm that your posting information on Thaivisa is valid, but want proof from another poster of "valid reporting" but not from Thaivisa or YouTube since they are not sources of valid reporting.

Where is this bike ride supposed to take place? ...and for me, the least amount of interaction with police or ersatz police the better, in my book.

FolkGuitar:

As far as 'reports' go, would you please provide a link to the reports of their activities in other cities. Not a link to YouTube or some other ThaiVisa thread, but some valid reporting of their activities.

Pretty much shoot yourself in the foot there.

You affirm that your posting information on Thaivisa is valid, but want proof from another poster of "valid reporting" but not from Thaivisa or YouTube since they are not sources of valid reporting.

Where is this bike ride supposed to take place? ...and for me, the least amount of interaction with police or ersatz police the better, in my book.

I affirm nothing. I write. You read. It's up to you to believe or not.

All are free to believe or disbelieve anything written in ThaiVisa, offered by myself or anyone else. Anyone is free to question the validity of any statements, just as they are free to post citations to back them up... if they wish to. (That last part is important. Generally speaking, what's written here is of no more accuracy than a newspaper, certainly not enough to waste that much time and energy.) This is a social media site, not a court of Law, and as such, is just as prone to gossip and opinion instead of facts. As we were taught in the Military, "consider your source."

As for this bike ride, I first learned of it here. I know nothing more about it, nor the current state of the organization behind it.

Edited by FolkGuitar

At no time did the volunteers in Chiang Mai have police powers, nor did they function as 'undercover' moles to ferret out criminals. At all times, the volunteers were simply a liaison between Police and foreign tourists, their main duty was to provide aid to the tourist seeking language, locations, directions, and asked-for assistance.

I notice you say 'in chiang mai' and would caveat that as 'were never reported to'..

I said specifically Chiang Mai as the volunteers here were requested to perform a different function.

As far as 'reports' go, would you please provide a link to the reports of their activities in other cities. Not a link to YouTube or some other ThaiVisa thread, but some valid reporting of their activities. I can't seem to find anything other than third-hand information, a YouTube video of them helping the Police on the Pattaya Walking street, and lots of ThaiVisa comments about wannabes. No facts.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121877-pattaya-police-volunteers-swoop-on-uzbeki-girls/

The foreign undercover officers made arrangements with the four Uzbek women for sexual services at the Pattaya Inn Hotel, Soi B.J., Walking Street, South Pattaya, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi, Rooms 203, 206 and 207.

Did you need a work permit to screw hookers ??

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/245781-lady-boys-accuse-pattaya-foreign-police-volunteer-of-assault/

The TVP was drunk, out of uniform, and maced them (what was he doing with illegal pepper spray, out of uniform no less).. Then turned up in full regalia to the cop shop...

As to the traffic stop.. happened to me in Phuket.. Stopped by TVP at a road block with no Thai cop.

I also knew a TVP on Phuket who sold coke.. Claimed he was protected by being a TVP (which I doubt if he got busted).. Then we have the other well known TVP who was caught selling ice.. And the I think the mod on here who murdered his missus was a TVP.. Good background checks on this lot.

Trying to defend this disorganized, un checked and untrained force is shaky territory.. The most pro TVP person (Simon from Phuket) who has at times worked in all levels of the TVP himself admits its rife with problems.

As an information service.. At immigration etc.. Perhaps.. Doing police work ?? No clearly out of bounds.

There was that well documented falang guy in Pattaay who carried a gun and had his car made to look like a police car, went to raids with police etc but didn't end well for him. Forget details so some of these might be wrong but maybe it will jolt someones memory who can find a link (I couldn't)

ha ha sifu and the pattaya SWAT team.. shooting out car tires and having chases and ramming vehicles..

Fun I guess if your that much of a wannabee.. The fact that pattay police played along with him for years just shows how out of control all this walter mitty stuff can get if sane people dont put the brakes on it.

EDIT cant find the youtube (maybe he took it down when he got busted) but the fake rambo wannabee was running around with automatic weapons.. a sidearm.. arresting people, training the Thai 'SWAT' which was obviously the brainchild of some mad local pattaya captain.. etc etc.. Was quite the comedy tail once it came out he was a faker.

Edited by LivinLOS

I think they have forgotten the plastic bb gun from the nearest toy shop 500 baht. Or is that just for the Pattaya volunteers?

One of the phuket lot actually had para wings put on his all black jackboot outfit..

Got well dressed down by a real para I know one night.

I guess what this all means is that the entire concept is wrong, the entire organization is corrupt, and all of it should be shut down.

At the same time, everyone should turn in their Christian Bibles as there have been entirely too many priests arrested for child molesting. The Church certainly should have done a better job vetting potential clerics, and spent a LOT more time over-seeing the actions of individuals charged with teaching morality and right behavior, and exercising power over a general public.

Perhaps, we need to get rid of the police forces in the US? After all, a few officers have wrongfully killed unarmed suspects.

Some soldiers have massacred hundreds of innocent civilians in the last few years. Perhaps we need to abolish the Military.

Let's get real. There is no question there are a few bad apples in the bunch. I doubt anyone is saying that there aren't. That's going to happen in ANY organization. In other threads people have discussed police corruption. Not volunteers foreigners, but salaried Thais. Does this mean there shouldn't be a Thai police force?

The problem isn't the Volunteer Tourist Police Force. The problem is a few bad members.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I guess what this all means is that the entire concept is wrong, the entire organization is corrupt, and all of it should be shut down.

At the same time, everyone should turn in their Christian Bibles as there have been entirely too many priests arrested for child molesting. The Church certainly should have done a better job vetting potential clerics, and spent a LOT more time over-seeing the actions of individuals charged with teaching morality and right behavior, and exercising power over a general public.

Perhaps, we need to get rid of the police forces in the US? After all, a few officers have wrongfully killed unarmed suspects.

Some soldiers have massacred hundreds of innocent civilians in the last few years. Perhaps we need to abolish the Military.

Let's get real. There is no question there are a few bad apples in the bunch. I doubt anyone is saying that there aren't. That's going to happen in ANY organization. In other threads people have discussed police corruption. Not volunteers foreigners, but salaried Thais. Does this mean there shouldn't be a Thai police force?

The problem isn't the Volunteer Tourist Police Force. The problem is a few bad members.

If this is a problem it is a problem or the Police Force or the voluneer Tourist Police Force. If there are bad members in them it is a problem for all people. The controlling organizations should control their members first. If they cannot or are unwilling to do that they are unfit to purport to control others.

What about the cost of having your Fortuna made up to look like a real police car like some guy in CM did.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704867-foreign-police-in-chiang-mai/

Probably always wanted to be a policeman, not good enough back wherever but making his dream come true here.

Here's something i just read concerning Tourist Police

http://www.bangkokscams.com/

I didn't see any scam going on. I saw people asking for directions and receiving them. I see that often here in Chiang Mai. I myself will often see some one with looking at a map and ask if I can help them. Am I scamming? I thought I was trying to be helpful.

If this is a problem it is a problem or the Police Force or the voluneer Tourist Police Force. If there are bad members in them it is a problem for all people. The controlling organizations should control their members first. If they cannot or are unwilling to do that they are unfit to purport to control others.

So you are saying that because there are bad human beings all of humanity should get together and control them?

Same principal just on a larger scale. Is it happening?

So you are saying that because there are bad human beings all of humanity should get together and control them?

Same principal just on a larger scale. Is it happening?

Actually yes, that is why the members of society make rules and then enforce them. What is happening too often though is that some do not enforce the rules by the book but by their pocket or ego, this should be stopped by those charged with controlling them.