Views from both sides of the divide on the military seizure of power

Lite Beer

ONE YEAR AFTER THE COUP
Views from both sides of the divide on the military seizure of power
KRIS BHROMSUTHI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- ONE year after the coup, four high-profile individuals share their views on how they view the process to transform society under the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). The following are excerpts from interviews:

Tankhun Jitt-itsara, a former Democrat MP and key member of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC):

"I think people are happy with the country's security. However, people are anxious about the new charter.

The junta needs to communicate with the public better because it is the key to their public relations success.

For example, there was a car bomb in Samui, yet to this day there's still no clear answer as to who was behind it. This can create doubt and distrust of the junta.

On reconciliation, finding out the truth has been slow:

There are slow cases that attract public interest such as the six deaths at the Wat Pathum Wanaram temple [during the May 2010 crackdown]. I believe the truth should have been revealed by now.

My life has changed a lot. I am now unemployed with a very low income. I feel very concerned about the country and feel I should be given the opportunity to contribute more.

At times, I go into my constituency, meet people, and try to help them. I am still unsure whether to go back into politics.

If the situation remains the same as the pre-coup period than I won't [re-enter politics] because if I feel I can't contribute, why bother."

Akanat Promphan, spokesman of the People's Democratic Reform Committee:

"Charter drafting is the key factor in shaping national reform. Some areas of reform have been too quiet. For example, anti-corruption, decentralisation of power and police reform.

"At the moment, no one is fighting, there is nothing worrying - the junta has created a good reconciliation atmosphere so far.

"The social response to the leader [Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha] has been positive. People can see great efforts made by the leader.

"If the charter is accepted by people of all sides, it will reduce conflicts.

"I feel a little lost after spending over 200 days with PDRC protestors. It ended and I feel something missing in life.

"I am officially unemployed. However, I have been very busy. I am hosting a TV programme [at Fah Wan Mai TV]. There's also a reform-monitoring panel established by the PDRC. "I have no plan to enter politics. I can be anywhere as long as I can contribute."

Anon Nampa, red-shirt human rights lawyer:

"The junta has made no real efforts to foster reconciliation. They managed to stop large-scale protests that occurred during the pre-coup period but that's about it.

"In fact the junta has made the conflict worse because many freedoms and rights have been suppressed. Absolute power is used to close down the media - recently the Peace TV station. And political prisoners, mainly red shirts, are still being arrested and prosecuted.

"A key to reconciliation is finding the truth. However, the junta has ordered the replacement of the Department of Special Investigation officials in charge of the May 2010 military crackdown on red-shirt protestors. Key leaders in the NCPO and current government played a big part in that crackdown.

"I believe that one of the main purposes of this coup was to ensure they retained power during this time of uncertainty.

"My work has moved to the military courts, which has made things more difficult because military court judges are under the direct chain of command of the NCPO leader [Prayut]. This means one political group is being adjudicated by their opponents.

"I am very concerned about the country's future because I believe that conflicts are merely waiting to erupt again. The draft charter seems to have been rejected by big political parties.

Weng Tojirakarn, red-shirt leader:

"This coup has caused severe damage to democracy and strengthened the bureaucratic regime under the military.

"People's freedoms have been greatly suppressed. Students who eat sandwiches [in protest] were arrested and brought to a military barracks for attitude adjustment. Many purely academics activities were banned and suppressed.

"Impeaching Pheu Thai politicians showed their intention is to destroy rival political factions.

"These are all part of the plan to ensure this coup 'does not go to waste'.

"The new charter is being drafted to ensure bureaucratic rule with outsiders as prime minister. It will lead to a crisis as we have seen many times before. The new charter will be one of the main causes of future conflicts.

"The junta has deepened conflicts because under martial law and Article 44, people are afraid to express their opinion. Reconciliation cannot be achieved under these laws.

"People will call for a charter that is more democratic.

"If the electoral rules are still the same as it appeared in the draft charter, then I won't stand for election. It would be like walking into a tiger's den in order to be eaten."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Views-from-both-sides-of-the-divide-on-the-militar-30260765.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-23

The junta needs to communicate with the public better because it is the key to their public relations success.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, maybe the General need to get a new permanent secretary of public relations, preferably one that is not a military guy..... wai2.gif

Point:

"At the moment, no one is fighting, there is nothing worrying - the junta has created a good reconciliation atmosphere so far.

Counterpoint:

"The junta has deepened conflicts because under martial law and Article 44, people are afraid to express their opinion. Reconciliation cannot be achieved under these laws.

Conclusion: Political conflict continues to exist with special thanks to the NCPO.

No one is fighting? Really? What about the South? Not part of Thailand?

I have news for you: Thailand is more than Bangkok.

Everything the yellow shirts in that article are quoted as saying is a lie. The red shirts have nailed the situation. So much for the lazy both-sides-are-too-blame thinking of expats who can't be bothered actually to understand the takeover by the forces of reaction in Thailand. The goal of the so-called "reform" effort in Thailand is just to disenfranchise the majority.

I am always amazed at the foreigners who find modern fascism appealing. Too bad you missed the heyday in the 30's.

Point:

Counterpoint:

Conclusion: Political conflict continues to exist with special thanks to the NCPO.

Conclusion the level of political conflict has to be exaggerated by those with a vested interest. They cannot play it down!

Everything the yellow shirts in that article are quoted as saying is a lie. The red shirts have nailed the situation. So much for the lazy both-sides-are-too-blame thinking of expats who can't be bothered actually to understand the takeover by the forces of reaction in Thailand. The goal of the so-called "reform" effort in Thailand is just to disenfranchise the majority.

I am always amazed at the foreigners who find modern fascism appealing. Too bad you missed the heyday in the 30's.

Well your observations do not have any evidence to support them and as you have been a member of TVF for such a long time I would have thought a little research would have been in order. It is most important when it appears you were not here to experience the situation for yourself.

Point:

Counterpoint:

Conclusion the level of political conflict has to be exaggerated by those with a vested interest. They cannot play it down!

You do not find removing an elected government disturbing ? Is there a vested interest in freedom ? Not sure what you are trying to say. A coup is the highest type of political conflict

making politicians accountable is not removing their power or authority - it makes sure that when they do something it is done in the interests of the people and the country and not for themselves or some billionaire criminal agenda - and if they cross the line ensuring they will be punished severely

making politicians accountable is not removing their power or authority - it makes sure that when they do something it is done in the interests of the people and the country and not for themselves or some billionaire criminal agenda - and if they cross the line ensuring they will be punished severely

Everyone should be held accountable, not just politicians- the problem in Thailand is that most of those trusted with having the power to hold people to account (police, judiciary etc) are just as bad as the politicians. It means that no one can really take action as they don't want people nosing around in their business, easier to just stay under the radar and continue filling the pockets.

Now a new set of billionaire criminals are in charge. The only difference between them and Thaksin is they covet the status quo and their anonymity. The good general is not going to arrest the rich running those fishing slavers. At least with elections, one decent leader may get chosen.

Why is Thailand so special that it needs to default to a coup, when Taiwan, Japan and India seem to maintain a representative system? Thailand is full of clowns at the top.

Now a new set of billionaire criminals are in charge. The only difference between them and Thaksin is they covet the status quo and their anonymity. The good general is not going to arrest the rich running those fishing slavers. At least with elections, one decent leader may get chosen.

Why is Thailand so special that it needs to default to a coup, when Taiwan, Japan and India seem to maintain a representative system? Thailand is full of clowns at the top.

Yeah maybe because they have never learned to debate and to compromise..

So a difference in viewpoint usually ends in deadly conflicts..

Its pretty sick..

I can feel tension rising in Thailand and not much needs to happen before its gets of again..