Lottery ticket sales 'are set for radical change'

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Lottery ticket sales 'are set for radical change'
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE sale of lottery tickets could be subject to an unprecedented change after June 16, the date by which retailers must sell lottery tickets at Bt80 per ticket, the chairman of the Government Lottery Board implied yesterday.

Maj-General Apirat Kongsompong, First Army Region deputy commander, said 10 special teams have been assigned to probe the problem of overpriced lottery tickets.

Apirat was speaking during an exclusive interview with Thepchai Yong, editor-in-chief of Nation Multimedia Group, on NOW 26's "26th Hour" television programme (www.now26.tv). The government has announced that retailers who sell lottery tickets for more than Bt80 would face up to one month in prison and a fine of Bt10,000.

"The team will interrogate lottery sellers to find out the source of the problem. We will take recourse to the Revenue Code, which is known to crack down on mafias,'' he said.

The anti-money laundering law would also be used against people responsible for the overpricing problem. Apirat said he had information on the identity of "tigers" who receive the lottery quota and were allegedly behind the overpricing. The board decided to cut the cost of lottery tickets from Bt74.4 to Bt70.4, which would enable retailers to make almost Bt10 profit for each ticket, he said.

The office also scrapped the jackpot prizes and injected more money into the first prize of 37 tickets from a total 37 million tickets printed for each draw, which is expected to solve the problem. The first prize will increase from Bt4 million to Bt6 million in each set of tickets.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has also invoked Section 44 to solve what he believes to be one of the main reasons for the problem. He will reduce the quota term of current owners from one to two years to six months, Apirat said.

"Having the support of the country's leader to solve this problem is very important,'' he said.

"The prime minister wants to solve this issue because he believes consumers are being taken advantage of. He always wants to take good care of all his subordinates,'' Apirat said.

Asked why the government had been unable to solve the overpricing, Apirat said many factors contributed to the problem. But he said the country could not move forward if permanent officials failed to take action against wrongdoing.

"Some officials wait and see if the military-installed government will last or not. They just take neutral gear, waiting until a general election is held," he said.

He said people linked to powerful politicians had instructed officials who should be given the lottery quota.

"I do not want to dig into the past. What was done, was done. Do not do it again. There is no secret,'' he said.

One of the solutions to the problem was that consumers must know how to protect their own rights, he said. "If you buy a ticket for more than Bt80, you insult yourself,'' he said.

Several foundations that received quotas must also ensure that their members do not sell tickets for more than Bt80, he said, adding that several foundations were able sell the tickets at the set price.

He said the government had given lottery retailers time to adjust to the new price for a few draws. It had sent a clear signal that it was serious about tackling the problem.

"If you do not adjust yourself, you cannot do this business. I will surely take legal action. I will seize your quota,'' he warned.

The office is also looking into the possibility of selling tickets online but it would wait to see the results after the June 16 draw, he said.

Apirat said that even though he only started work at the office on Tuesday, he had been studying the problems and he has an adequate understanding of the underground lottery and legal lottery.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lottery-ticket-sales-are-set-for-radical-change-30260771.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-23

"The prime minister wants to solve this issue because he believes consumers are being taken advantage of. He always wants to take good care of all his subordinates,'' Apirat said.

"Subordinates", "his subordinates"! Just shows how the military regime see the populace. People who are inferior to them. We are all equal!

The going price from sellers on Pattaya Tai dropped from a high of Baht 120 last month to Baht 100 this month.

Probably those who find the Baht 20 or Baht 40 difference in prices to be an important issue when budgeting their expenditures would be better off not spending money on lottery tickets anyway. If they put their wager in a piggy bank twice a month, it would be a better bet.

The going price from sellers on Pattaya Tai dropped from a high of Baht 120 last month to Baht 100 this month.

Probably those who find the Baht 20 or Baht 40 difference in prices to be an important issue when budgeting their expenditures would be better off not spending money on lottery tickets anyway. If they put their wager in a piggy bank twice a month, it would be a better bet.

While I agree it's probably wiser to just save your money instead of playing the millions-to-one shot of the lottery, it's tough to fault people for getting upset that they're being overcharged for something that is supposed to have a fixed price.

While I agree it's probably wiser to just save your money instead of playing the millions-to-one shot of the lottery, it's tough to fault people for getting upset that they're being overcharged for something that is supposed to have a fixed price.

I don't think I faulted anyone for anything. I buy tickets twice a month and would be happy to get them at the fixed price too. But I recognize, whatever the price, it's essentially money down the drain ... whereas some apparently regard it as an investment.

"Subordinates", "his subordinates"! Just shows how the military regime see the populace. People who are inferior to them. We are all equal!

Same happened when Rome changed from a republic to an empire, from a government by senate to a government by one man - the emperor.

This article is the typical mish-mash of unorganized and contradictory quotes from an official. When you finish reading it (if you finish, and don't just skip to the comments) you will be dumber than before.

Supposedly....

"Maj-General Apirat Kongsompong, First Army Region deputy commander, said 10 special teams have been assigned to probe the problem of overpriced lottery tickets. [OK!, big action!]"

and

"The team will interrogate lottery sellers to find out the source of the problem. We will take recourse to the Revenue Code, which is known to crack down on mafias,'' he said. [interrogate the little old women on the street?]

and

"Asked why the government had been unable to solve the overpricing, Apirat said many factors contributed to the problem." [Oh no, a complex problem to be solved by a government function..we are doomed!]

but

"He said people linked to powerful politicians had instructed officials who should be given the lottery quota." [When in doubt, invoke the masterminds, who are known, but not yet found, and whose names can't be shared, but are not secret.]

and, finally

"Apirat said that even though he only started work at the office on Tuesday, he had been studying the problems and he has an adequate understanding of the underground lottery and legal lottery." [No, you don't. You just formed "ten special teams" to investigate the problem.]

My thought, courtesy of Shakespeare -

"Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing"
Edited by phoenixdoglover

I speak for myself and other farang friends who do not understand the Thai lottery / lotteries . I think that all of the problems of ticket pricing could be solved at a

stroke if they change the system and adopted the European / UK system where the buyer selects their own number or takes a lucky dip and the draw is

televised for all to see at a regular tv slot time . The UK / European system allows the buyer to buy on line or can be purchased at a 7/11 type shop via a

lottery

ticket machine . The system is simple , secure and reliable with corruption almost impossible ( but what would happen to the charitable profits is for debate )

Surely the powers that be must realise that there are alternatives to this antiquated method.

I am often intrigued at the powers here who I am sure must be aware of the western worlds level of expertise in many fields that has been

gained through experience and development , yet are not concerned to catch up with modern trends but seem to be staid and content to remain at their at

their non progressive ways .

It has nothing to do if people find 20 or 40 Baht difference an important issue. It is about price fixing for the purpose of unfairly enriching a few with power and money on the expense of many. The same problem exist in many other parts of the Thai economy and is one of the main reasons why the poor here are staying poor. But that's seems not important for you, you are only interested in "Farang bashing" like always with your beloved prejudices that foreigners drink too much or are cheap. Maybe one day we see a proper post from you and not only Thai apologists propaganda.

@superal...............................

Every lottery draw is televised - "live" on free to air tv. Also ch #39 on true visions. It come on around 3pm each draw day.

Whilst the draw method seems a little antiquated.................I believe it to be a very good effort to ensure that the draw IS NOT rigged. I much prefer to see the draw done as is ......

rather than just some computer picking out random numbers .

I agree with you ............that they could look at improving existing ticket distribution/selling methods ...................its not like they need to re-invent the wheel.

But .......................T I T

I speak for myself and other farang friends who do not understand the Thai lottery / lotteries . I think that all of the problems of ticket pricing could be solved at a

stroke if they change the system and adopted the European / UK system where the buyer selects their own number or takes a lucky dip and the draw is

televised for all to see at a regular tv slot time . The UK / European system allows the buyer to buy on line or can be purchased at a 7/11 type shop via a

lottery

ticket machine . The system is simple , secure and reliable with corruption almost impossible ( but what would happen to the charitable profits is for debate )

Surely the powers that be must realise that there are alternatives to this antiquated method.

I am often intrigued at the powers here who I am sure must be aware of the western worlds level of expertise in many fields that has been

gained through experience and development , yet are not concerned to catch up with modern trends but seem to be staid and content to remain at their at

their non progressive ways .

You certainly don't speak for me and my other farang friends. The Thai lottery system is easy to understand, and drawings are televised twice a month on Thai TV. Full results are also posted in the Bangkok Post the day after each drawing. What's not to understand?

If Thailand adopted the UK/US lottery systems there would be serious economic repercussions for the thousands of street level ticket vendors who rely on commission as their only income source. Yes, get rid of the wholesalers who control vast blocks of ticket and push up prices, and make sure that the street vendors can buy their tickets at a low enough price to maintain the 80 Baht sticker price and make a living for themselves.

It has nothing to do if people find 20 or 40 Baht difference an important issue. It is about price fixing for the purpose of unfairly enriching a few with power and money on the expense of many. The same problem exist in many other parts of the Thai economy and is one of the main reasons why the poor here are staying poor. But that's seems not important for you, you are only interested in "Farang bashing" like always with your beloved prejudices that foreigners drink too much or are cheap. Maybe one day we see a proper post from you and not only Thai apologists propaganda.

When the farang basher / rose colored glasses people decide to all band together, there is

no question Suradit69 will be their leader. His posts are so bizarre they can be funny sometimes.

Let's see. So to a wealthy farang foolish enough to play the lottery, 40 baht is not much. However to a poor Thai, that is a fair amount of money. Sometimes I am amazed when I see Thailand "searching" for solutions to problems that have been solved long ago. The lottery tickets simply need to be sold at 7-11 from a machine, like all the other countries in the world. Problem solved.

Will be curious to see how the five tigers react to this latest news. Must be a lot of handwringing

going on with them........

Should we laugh or should we cry??

A government, that have granted itself absolute power, has not managed to solve the lottery ticket price issue after more than one year in power!!

And those clowns are supposed to run the country..........

Should we laugh or should we cry??

A government, that have granted itself absolute power, has not managed to solve the lottery ticket price issue after more than one year in power!!

And those clowns are supposed to run the country..........

Exactly,what hope is there for a country that in 2015 can not organise a national lottery,I have no background in running a national lottery but could coordinate from my armchair the installation of automated ticket machines in every 7/11 shop in the country.

Thanks for that JOC ...................now after 12mths I finally know the real reason for the military intervention into the political scene in Thailand . It was all done just to fix the lottery issue .

And stoneyboy........................... are you also able to co-ordinate from your armchair the fate of the thousands of vendors who currently make a modest income from selling lottery tickets.

Yes we all know it can be done differently and maybe better..................but it also brings other long term issues that need to be addressed.

sad.pngwai.gifwai.gif

If they are print 37 million tickets twice a month and selling them to distributors at say 60 baht a ticket, then they are making about 4 billion baht a month-and only paying out about 40 million in prize money. Looking at those numbers, it should be pretty clear why they cannot resolve/take over it.

Smutcakes ..................I am afraid that your simplistic maths doesnt "add up".

If they print 37 million tickets then there must be 37 " sets" of 1 million tickets............................as each ticket only has a 6 digit number. 000001 - 999999

This in turn implies that there must be 37 "winning" tickets ....................................................... being one ticket from each of the "sets" with the winning number. so if first prize is 4 million baht ( see OP)- then there could be 37 of these tickets winning 4 million each...................I would almost certainly guarantee the 4 million IS NOT shared.

Then you add in the "one off" prizes, the lower "level" prizes, the last 2 and last 3 digit prizes...................this puts a much larger dent in your 4 billion baht.

But according to the OP the cost ( from the govt) used to be 74.4B not the 60b you have used.................but will now be reduced to 70.4b. This would be how much the govt receives no matter what price the tickets are sold at to the consumer.So this would put the "prize pool -(currently)" at around the 27.5 billion ( assuming all tickets are sold which of course they are not.)

But I do not know the actual prize payouts...........................

Smutcakes ..................I am afraid that your simplistic maths doesnt "add up".

If they print 37 million tickets then there must be 37 " sets" of 1 million tickets............................as each ticket only has a 6 digit number. 000001 - 999999

This in turn implies that there must be 37 "winning" tickets ....................................................... being one ticket from each of the "sets" with the winning number. so if first prize is 4 million baht ( see OP)- then there could be 37 of these tickets winning 4 million each...................I would almost certainly guarantee the 4 million IS NOT shared.

Then you add in the "one off" prizes, the lower "level" prizes, the last 2 and last 3 digit prizes...................this puts a much larger dent in your 4 billion baht.

But according to the OP the cost ( from the govt) used to be 74.4B not the 60b you have used.................but will now be reduced to 70.4b. This would be how much the govt receives no matter what price the tickets are sold at to the consumer.So this would put the "prize pool -(currently)" at around the 27.5 billion ( assuming all tickets are sold which of course they are not.)

But I do not know the actual prize payouts...........................

Far to complicated for me to understand..... either way, someone is making a hell of a lot of money, which is why it cannot be fixed. Wonder if the GLO ever gets audited so the public can see where all this money is ending up.

Maybe it would be a lot easier if they just printed a price on the ticket.

I take it you have never seen a ticket?

post-39016-14323466485706_thumb.jpg

I do not read Thai, but I think I am intelligent enough to deduce that there is no "80" on the ticket.

Maybe the ticket should say it is illegal to sell the ticket for more than 80B face value and how to report vendors over charging.

Maybe vendors should have ID cards showing they legitimate lottery vendors.

Edited by Basil B

I do not read Thai, but I think I am intelligent enough to deduce that there is no "80" on the ticket.

Maybe the ticket should say it is illegal to sell the ticket for more than 80B face value and how to report vendors over charging.

Each ticket is actually two "chances" in the lottery....so there's a 40 on the top and a 40 on the bottom (in the blue circles). 80 thb for the ticket(s).

Of course we're all equal, some just more than others. whistling.gif

Thanks for that JOC ...................now after 12mths I finally know the real reason for the military intervention into the political scene in Thailand . It was all done just to fix the lottery issue .

And stoneyboy........................... are you also able to co-ordinate from your armchair the fate of the thousands of vendors who currently make a modest income from selling lottery tickets.

Yes we all know it can be done differently and maybe better..................but it also brings other long term issues that need to be addressed.

sad.pngwai.gifwai.gif

Yes introduce unemployment benefit with proceeds of lottery tickets,tax on wine and expensive western cheese no Thais eat and charge foreigners 500 baht to enter the kingdom.

Said fate of unemployed lotto vendors is all in hand.

I do read Thai and if my failing eyesight does not deceive me then beneath the 40, on each ticket is the Thai spelling of Baht. (บาท). Although I am not sure how the lottery operates, I would take it as a guess, if you have two chances when you buy one ticket, then each chance is sold for B40, thus arriving at the B80 selling price. So anything over that then the consumer is, as per usual, being handled.