Breaking a rental lease due to traffic noise

I just rented a condo with a one-year lease. My room is about 40 metres from Lardprao Road (I actually measured the distance).

After staying there for a few days, I can't sleep through the night as the sound of motorcycles and buses from Lardprao Road is quite loud at times. When I signed the lease, I didn't realise this would be a problem. I didn't know how bad it was until my first night trying to sleep.

Would I be justified breaking the lease because of this? Aside from loosing my two month deposit (a giant waste of money already), could I be sued for the rent for the entire year?

Also, if anyone lives close to a main road, how do you deal with it? My room isn't even a corner room, which is only about 10 metres from Lardprao Road. Earplugs and fan and air conditioner are not enough to drown out the piercing soound of speeding motorcycles, buses and trucks.

Edited by garet

Depends what it says in your lease, but generally you can forfeit the deposit and the current month's rent and walk way without a problem.

Don't try and argue the toss about the place being too noisy and getting your money back - the traffic was there when you signed the lease. Suggest next time you rent you do a bit more due diligence.

You will lose your deposit and rent in advance. The likelihood is you will not be chased for the balance of the year's payments.

Before you leave, try using soft foam earplugs. I'm sensitive to noise and they work for me. They can be a little uncomfortable, but you should sleep well.

Another option is to ask for a change of room. Have they got any rooms at the back of the building? The difference in noise levels can be huge. You would have to pay a fee to move, but it might be a better solution.

Edited by blackcab