Abbot of Tiger Temple pawed, bitten by tiger

Thaivisa News

tiger.png

CREDIT: www.thairath.co.th/content/500710

Kanchanaburi:- The abbot of the Temple of Tigers or Wat Pa Luang Ta Bua in Kanchanaburi’s Saiyok district was badly injured when a tiger he was pulling along pawed his face and bit his right arm.

Luang Ta Jan, the abbot, needed to receive an operation that took about four hours to cure his wounds and broken arm.

Temple officials said the abbot was pulling along a male tiger, which is about seven or eight years, to walk with him at 1:30 pm when the tiger attacked him.

The tiger pawed the abbot’s face, causing a big wound down from his forehead to his mouth. The tiger also bit the abbot’s right arm once and let it go.

The tiger seemed to be frightened when the abbot pulled the rope around its neck.

He was rushed to the district hospital before he was forwarded to the Thonkarn Hospital.

Officials said the tiger, which is called Hern, is among 146 tigers seized by the National parks Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. The department let the temple take care of the tigers on a condition that the temple must not use the tigers to illegally reap benefit.

The department checked the number of the tigers at the temple on April 24 and agreed to allow the temple to continue to care tigers.

Earlier, the department planned to relocate all the tigers from the temple to its wild animal shelters in Ratchaburi but the temple protest and blocked the attempt. The temple claimed that all the tigers have been tamed and would not harm the people.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the Abbot, whom i wish to recover quickly, but, are they running out of tranquilizers.. ?

Pardon my suspicion, but i never believed those big cats to be tamed by some kind of magic, more likely some diet of valium and the likes.

Any news on the fate of the tiger?

Must have been quite a sight seeing the old abbot pulling along a 300lb tiger. Here Kitty!

Prayers and chanting and burning incense. He'll be right as rain in a month or two.

Must have been quite a sight seeing the old abbot pulling along a 300lb tiger. Here Kitty!

Prayers and chanting and burning incense. He'll be right as rain in a month or two.

Ironically, low humor, sarcasm for 3 baht ...
If thailand with lovely girls helps for misogyny cure this forum made me definitely misanthropist.

If thailand with lovely girls helps for misogyny cure this forum made me definitely misanthropist.

Stay happy Joe.thumbsup.gif

Does his insurance policy have a clause covering ' amulet failing to work ' compensation ?

Stay happy Joe.thumbsup.gif

He sounds very happy! :):)

If someone had to be bitten, the one most responsible for keeping them there, was the right one. I wish him a speedy recovery but these animals were never meant to be kept as pets. Sadly now, this tiger, Hern, will have to be moved to a cage or put down because now that he has tasted raw blood, he is a danger to humans. They have always fed these cats cooked meat so as not to arouse them.

Edited by rametindallas

Tigers are wild and predatory animals. They should be admired from afar, and respected as noble sentient beings, as they go about their tigery business in their natural habitat.

Temple tiger attacks abbot

5-24-2015-7-27-58-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- A 7-year old Bengal tiger attacked the abbot of Wat Pa Luang Ta Maha Bua or widely known as "Tiger Temple" in Saiyok district of Kanchanaburi causing injuries on his face and arm.

The incident happened at about 11.30 am Saturday while the abbot, Phra Visut-Saratera or Luang Ta Chan, took the male Bangal tiger named “Chao Hern” for a walk in the temple compound.

The abbot was on the left side of the tiger.

As he pulled the robe which was tied to Chao Hern’s neck, the beast turned on him, scratching his face and biting his right arm, according to Pol Col Supitpong Pakcharung, vice president of the Luang Ta Maha Bua Yana Sampanno Foundation.

He said after biting the arm of the abbot, Chao Hern then released his arm and retreated as if it was playing with the abbot.

Other monks seeing the incident then rushed the injured abbot to Tanakarn hospital for treatment.

The abbot has scratches on his face and the bone on the right arm which was bitten was broken, he said.

He said the tiger might be excited after the abbot pulled the robe instantly .

It take doctor four hours to conduct surgery of the facial wounds from his forehead to lip.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/temple-tiger-attacks-abbot

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-24

If someone had to be bitten, the one most responsible for keeping them there, was the right one. I wish him a speedy recovery but these animals were never meant to be kept as pets. Sadly now, this tiger, Hern, will have to be moved to a cage or put down because now that he has tasted raw blood, he is a danger to humans. They have always fed these cats cooked meat so as not to arouse them.

Unfortunately, many have been bitten over the years, at various places around Thailand. They've got a place in Chonburi where you can get a pic taken with a tiger. A local lady was mauled a few years ago there also.

Is the temple still charging entrance fees or pressuring visitors for donations?

Now they even have a new attraction:

See they holy brother tame the wild animal..............

Take two...................rolleyes.gif

Does his insurance policy have a clause covering ' amulet failing to work ' compensation ?

Dont you mean 'claws' covering amulet failing to work?

(I'll get my coat)

Edited by sungod