unauthorized online payment. Of 10k?!

Yesterday a friend living in Chiang mai called me, one month ago he got SMS notification

Of a 10 k purchase of a online game!

I not sure how this can happen, was one month ago, and refund of payment still in process of krungsri bank!

Is it tealy possible that a hacker make a force Brute attack and random generation of Visa card numbers?

Normaly every payment must be confirmed by SMS otp code , but how it looks not everybody follow the rules , and also the 3 digit number on backside is needed!

So it still mystery , how long a refound of a fraud case that has been reported need time?

On my kadikorn debit I try to refound a 10€ purchase of a non working iphone app one year ago but bank never aswer to my emails!

Five years ago my U.S. bank account was hit with an ATM withdrawal of $1,600 from a bank in Shanghai.

Turned out to be not much of a problem. I notified the U.S. bank of the problem, told them I'd never been to Shanghai and was shortly reimbursed for the funds.

Mac

OK but how does your tale relate to Krungsri bank, Chang Mai or even Thailand ? Unless of course Shanghai has uprooted its location and deposited itself on the outskirts of Chang Mai

Nothing uncommon about some bad guy somehow getting ahold of a card number and security code and then making online purchases. Big, big black market in selling debit/credit card numbers & security codes. Many times this card info is obtained by hackers hacking into companies which happen to have the info.....then other times it's just a family member/friend who happened to sneak a look/snap a picture of your card when you left the card unattended/unsecured.

Heck, around 15 years ago I got a call from Bank of America while I was living in Hawaii asking if I had just made an online purchase of a book in Spain using my BoA credit card....I said no They said they didn't think so also as their fraud detection system had immediately keyed in on the transaction....they cancelled the transactions...also cancelled my card and sent me a new one.