Need help finding canned pumpkin in Chiang Mai

JulieM

Wow this has to be a troll ! The markets have lots of pumpkins for sale and it is so easy to cook.Why not look for recipes on the internet or look at youtube. You can make the same as canned and I am sure much better.

first of all canned pumpkin is actually squash, secondly Rimping (original) does have it if I remember it is Libby brand, yellow/tan label.

3rd. as stated above the markets that sell the green skin squash, tastes identical. Just cube it and boil it until fork soft. mash and use.

I'm not a troll. I have a constipated dog and she needs help. I've read that canned pumpkin can help her. Thanks for those guys who gave good advice. I will have a look at Rimping and the fresh market tomorrow, just in case someone has one.

I'm not a troll. I have a constipated dog and she needs help. I've read that canned pumpkin can help her. Thanks for those guys who gave good advice. I will have a look at Rimping and the fresh market tomorrow, just in case someone has one.

Bless you JulieM...why not get some pills from the vet?

Hope you dog gets better soon.

Wow this has to be a troll ! The markets have lots of pumpkins for sale and it is so easy to cook.Why not look for recipes on the internet or look at youtube. You can make the same as canned and I am sure much better.

Poor soul may just simply be Trom-Bone Lazy.

She's been on many walks and that doesn't help. It totally worked for the first six years of her life, but it hasn't worked lately.

Thank heavens today she went two times in about two hours! Still, I'm off to Rimping soon since she is getting older and this is going to keep happening. The vet is also an option but the last time she went there, she returned in a frantic state. She kept pacing the floor for hours until I tied her down. I don't know, maybe the vet gave her some kind of steroid.

K... :)

When you read online about some remidy that involves canned anything, that doesn't mean that the magic is in the canning.

Without a doubt the fresh alternative would be better. And pumpkin is very easily found, year round.

Cook it until soft, then mash it up with something the dog likes.

I would perhaps cook it with some chicken bones. Then discard the bones, mash and add some minced meat of any kind.

( The above recipe also works for baby food. :) )

I think that fresh stuff is out of season. A few places that usually make pumpkin pies are not selling them now and told me that it "tastes bad" at this time of year.

Loads of pumpkin at Mae Hia fresh market this morning.Pumpkin is not a seasonal vegetable and if kept in a dark place lasts for a long time.

Makes great soup, which we freeze, and my wife would probably eat every second day in her thai dishes.Never noticed any change in taste over a period of time and new varieties appearing all the time.

Why anyone would want to eat it out of can is beyond me.

I love the pumpkin pie at The Garden (the one across the street from the Intra Inn). They make them most of the year and it is 50 baht for a big piece with real whip cream. They have mostly stopped making them lately and have shown me that they had to throw several out lately because they were "rotten". The owner speaks decent English, although far from perfect, but she is not making them for some reason. She has also stopped making strawberry pie, but they are definitely out of season. I've noticed several other places that usually have them, don't have them either, but I did not ask why.

Just a couple days ago saw a big display of Thai squash at the local Tops. They're round, green and white vegetables and often Tops sells cut sections, which are much more reasonable sizes for just two people. Oh so easy to prepare. Just wash the outside (you never know where they've been) before slicing, sprinkle with cinnamon, clove powder, nutmeg and a little tiny bit of allspice put into a covered casserole dish and pop into the microwave. You probably want to skip the spices for the dog. One of our cats -- the little calico girl -- likes a bit of pumpkin/squash, too, but she'll eat just about anything we're cooking. She definitely doesn't want the spices, though.

And yes, the fiber of pumpkin/squash is good for the dog. Just start out with a small serving until you see the results. That's been our policy with the kitten.

Edited by NancyL

I think pumpkin is just another source of fibre. There are plenty of alternatives.

Another problem might be blocked anal glands which need massaging to unblock. Good luck to you on that one, the smell is appalling.

I think pumpkin is just another source of fibre. There are plenty of alternatives.

Another problem might be blocked anal glands which need massaging to unblock. Good luck to you on that one, the smell is appalling.

Yes, that could be the problem. Was with our dog in the U.S. from time-to-time, but it was evident because she "scooted" around the grass, trying to clear the problem herself. We always took her to the vet for this procedure. They tried to show us how to do it at home, but sorry, no thanks, not interested in learning how to do this! I'd be even less interested in doing this in Thailand when it's so inexpensive to visit the vet.

Usually when a person says thank you for help, the conversation is over. . however here we get people who just repeat what is said or debate minutia. FYI the OP has left the conversation.

Usually when a person says thank you for help, the conversation is over. . however here we get people who just repeat what is said or debate minutia. FYI the OP has left the conversation.

What on earth are you talking about?

Good minded people are trying to offer solutions and you pop up with an inane comment.

I agree with you, but in this case the new replies have helped a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I am the OP. Boiled umpkin has helped my little dog go to the bathroom, but still she is not going every day. For the first six years of her life, she went everyday.

I am curious to know what kind of medicine a vet would give her to help her.

She is going to the vet in a few days for her monthly flea/tick prevention shot, but the vet does not speak English well so I am seeking views here first.

Thank you.

I am the OP. Boiled umpkin has helped my little dog go to the bathroom, but still she is not going every day. For the first six years of her life, she went everyday.

She is going to the vet in a few days for her monthly flea/tick prevention shot, but the vet does not speak English well so I am seeking views here first.

Thank you.

I would not have waited for a scheduled visit to the vet if the constipation had persisted. It can be indicative of serious problems and needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Senna Leaf (Casia Angustifolis Vehl) is a herbal product used for ages throughout the world for human consumption.Recommended dosage,depending on brand, usually 2 capsules, twice daily.

Depending on the weight of the dog would starting out on half a capsule a day be too radical ? Maybe, ask the vet.

My 12 year old Springer Spaniel,back in Oz, suffered no ill effects and it solved the problem. I had a vets blessing as life was becoming very uncomfortable for her.

She lived without discomfort until 15 years old. X rays were taken and no sign of a more serious problem he just put it down to her age and declining health and mobility.