Thai Interior Minister signs residency permit for foreigners

If you have a Thai family, and maybe subject to being married for a number of years let's say 5, then residence should be granted. It isnt costing them anything and could be cancelled if you committed very serious crimes but gives security to the family, after all Thais are very concerned about families............aren't they?

• Like 1

And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?

You, myself and many others are in the same boat. No hope of permanent residency unless they changed the ministerial regulation to allow it.

There is clause in it that allows a married person to get one if their wife is working and making at least 30k baht a month but they will not even accept those applications.

That's the stupidity of having different categories, when those that apply under the family category basically have to have the same qualifications as the working category otherwise the family applicant just gets rejected immediately.

I agree, I applied under the special circumstances category of having benefited Thailand, but then they wanted me to show all the documents required in the business category.

Waisted an extra 3-4 years, as they were still asking me for additional documents 4 years into the process!

Would have been a lot simpler if I had just applied under the business category to begin with.

Hopefully after almost 8 years of waiting, my application has been approved by the minister.

Congrats......Also this happens with the investment category. They want the exact same things as working/business category except - for the priveledge of investing 10 million baht - you are now required to lock up the investment for 3 years.....

Apply with the same documents under the business/working category and there is no such restriction on your investment !

So why do they bother to have those other categories?

I suspect that the immigration regulations were originally written to take into account a diversity of applicants, but now the immigration department has became populated with muppets who can't understand anything beyond the 9 to 5 wage slave moronic button punchers like themselves.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?

You do not have to be employed to get PR. You can apply as a a retiree.

• Like 1

You do not have to be employed to get PR. You can apply as a a retiree.

Under some categories (Family) that is strictly speaking true. However, in practice you will not receive PR, they will not even accept your application.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all those who have attained the status of "Resident" smile.png

Regretfully being retired I will never achieve your status despite being married to a delightful Thai lady ...................................

• Like 1

"Consideration quota will include the subject's income, knowledge, professional skills, national security conditions, economic conditions, social conditions, and their country of origin's government policies."

555... so if you're from the USA with a government 'policy' that has been critical of the coup, forget it. If you are from Europe, and the EU passes sanctions over human trafficking, then forget it. If you are from any country that says anything bad about Thailand, then forget it. 555

"And what about those of us who are retired here, married, with Thai families, but really have no desire to work? Such as me on a Retirement Extension, but with Thai family?"

You get to continue staying here for 1900 baht a year instead of 100-200k for PR.

That doesn't sound too bad.

You can spend the difference on the family.

I can assure many of us would love to be able to pay the fee to get PR if we could get it. The application fee is 7600 baht and then 95,700 baht when approved if married to a Thai. That is not a lot of money.

No more extensions or 90 day reports. No worry about bank accounts or income letters for the extension. Unless you wanted it you could ever let your passport expire. I plan being here until they take me to the fire at at the temple so it is worth it to me.

Agree with Joe. I got PR many years back through the route of proving I had been working many years with work permits in an occupation which imparted valuable knowledge to my Thai colleagues and proving I had paid and cleared my Thai taxes for same years, plus evidence that I had offshore superannuation plans to support myself in old age and evidence of advanced education, no criminal record etc.

Many say there are no real benefits but the benefit for me is that I have a 'guarantee' that I won't be separated from my Thai children and grandchildren and no need to reapply for continuation or reprove money in the bank every year etc. In fact once granted there is no renewal process

For me that benefit is better than gold.

• Like 1

Great news

When will the lucky ones be notified, by whom and when or is it a case of waiting for the post ??

Anybody know the routine or process ??

In theory yes, a letter will arrive. However once you are aware that others have received a letter (Guess you will read that here) you can call the PR section to check whether you are on the approved list. You don't need the actual letter. In my case in 2012 the letter was never delivered.

How many farang do you know that have thai citizenship I know 3 they own huge business. Easy enough said it took Lao superstar Ananda Everingham 8 years he was born in thailand your luck next to impossible. I have PR after working for the thai governmet 6 years after my contract extension ends it will mark 10 years and Thai citizenship I was born here. There are thousands of guys still waiting for PR get your facts straight. If it was so easy we would all do it.

You, myself and many others are in the same boat. No hope of permanent residency unless they changed the ministerial regulation to allow it.

There is clause in it that allows a married person to get one if their wife is working and making at least 30k baht a month but they will not even accept those applications.

If you have been living in Thailand for 5 years or more and you have either a Thai wife, a child born in Thailand, or have been working here for the 5 years, and can speak the language fluently enough to pass a language test and sing the national anthem in Thai, you can apply for Thai citizenship. If successful you then have EXACTLY the same legal rights a Thais. You can own house AND land in your name, you can set up a Thai business in YOUR name, no 51% Thai ownership, no more visa extensions, no more 90 day reporting etc etc. This seems to be an option that most farangs that have been here long term are either not aware of (due to lack of research) or just couldn't be bothered considering. Beats me why you would even consider residency status, when this option is available and far more appealing.

My FACTS are CORRECT. They were taken DIRECTLY from the Thai Immigration web site, and I also have exactly the same advice from a Thai legal firm. According to Thai Immigration the process takes 3 - 5 years from date of submission, which is far superior to the time it takes to obtain PR. With PR you still cannot own land etc, but with Thai citizenship you have EXACTLY all the same legal rights as a native born Thai. So Siamyim before telling me to get my facts right, perhaps you should do some proper research yourself.

If you have been living in Thailand for 5 years or more and you have either a Thai wife, a child born in Thailand, or have been working here for the 5 years, and can speak the language fluently enough to pass a language test and sing the national anthem in Thai, you can apply for Thai citizenship. If successful you then have EXACTLY the same legal rights a Thais. You can own house AND land in your name, you can set up a Thai business in YOUR name, no 51% Thai ownership, no more visa extensions, no more 90 day reporting etc etc. This seems to be an option that most farangs that have been here long term are either not aware of (due to lack of research) or just couldn't be bothered considering. Beats me why you would even consider residency status, when this option is available and far more appealing.

My FACTS are CORRECT. They were taken DIRECTLY from the Thai Immigration web site, and I also have exactly the same advice from a Thai legal firm. According to Thai Immigration the process takes 3 - 5 years from date of submission, which is far superior to the time it takes to obtain PR. With PR you still cannot own land etc, but with Thai citizenship you have EXACTLY all the same legal rights as a native born Thai. So Siamyim before telling me to get my facts right, perhaps you should do some proper research yourself.

I don't think you find anything about getting Thai citizenship on the immigration website. Special Branch Police handle citizenship applications.

If married to a Thai and you have been on extensions of stay for 3 years and working you can apply for citizenship. The Thai language and singing requirements are also waived.

The 5 year number is for those on permanent residency.

Siamyim,

if you still believe that my facts are incorrect, then please go to the following links. I know Thai citizenship, for me, is preferred to PR. It's just as complicated a process, but it is less expensive and doesn't take as long as the PR process, AND most importantly I will have EXACTLY the same legal rights as a native born Thai. With PR you DO NOT have those same rights.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Thai-Citizenship

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-citizenship

http://www.yaiban.com/thai-citizenship-requirements.php

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for the update. If the requirements have been changed as you say, then that's even better. However, the information available on the internet, and confirmed by a Thai Immigration legal firm, and Thai Immigration, is the same as the information contained in the aforementioned links.

The main reason I keep pushing citizenship as an option is because there are so many farangs on TV, that have been living in Thailand long term, who consistently whinge and whine about how they have businesses here and have to pay taxes, have Thai family, and that they have NO RIGHTS. I don't know whether they have PR or not, but if they meet the requirements then Thai citizenship would appear to be the way to solve all the issues they complain about, because as a citizen they would no longer have those complaints. But then again I guess they would just find something else to whinge and whine about. They seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining. Like most whingers, they would prefer to complain than get off their backside and take the necessary action to resolve their problems.

Edited by TigerandDog

Siamyim,

if you still believe that my facts are incorrect, then please go to the following links. I know Thai citizenship, for me, is preferred to PR. It's just as complicated a process, but it is less expensive and doesn't take as long as the PR process, AND most importantly I will have EXACTLY the same legal rights as a native born Thai. With PR you DO NOT have those same rights.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Thai-Citizenship

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for the update. If the requirements have been changed as you say, then that's even better. However, the information available on the internet, and confirmed by a Thai Immigration legal firm, and Thai Immigration, is the same as the information contained in the aforementioned links.

The main reason I keep pushing citizenship as an option is because there are so many farangs on TV, that have been living in Thailand long term, who consistently whinge and whine about how they have businesses here and have to pay taxes, have Thai family, and that they have NO RIGHTS. I don't know whether they have PR or not, but if they meet the requirements then Thai citizenship would appear to be the way to solve all the issues they complain about, because as a citizen they would no longer have those complaints. But then again I guess they would just find something else to whinge and whine about. They seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining. Like most whingers, they would prefer to complain than get off their backside and take the necessary action to resolve their problems.

I don't think you are being realistic in your criticism of people complaining about it. In fact, your 3rd link provides the following quote...""Last year 48 people applied for Thai nationality. Ten received approval from the Minister of Interior."

10 people in one year! Really, that many? (more people get killed by lightning each year in Thailand than get citizenship it seems)

The truth is, citizenship is basically closed to most people. Even people who may appear qualified on paper, their chances of actually getting it are small. That's the truth

Edited by Time Traveller

Siamyim,

Ubonjoe,

There are some part of the info on those webpage that are not correct. On thing is the 30k baht salary. It is 40k baht which is same as is need for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

This info is better. Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

More info here in this topic: dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

TigerandDog it is a long road both PR and Citizenship facts and info change nobody here is bashing you we all want the right info doesn't matter where or who it comes from. The sad fact is that most will fail. My facts come from the top. My thai government uniform with my Canadian ID I am a very special case.

post-102666-0-76131500-1432636556_thumb.

There are many people that are members here on Thai visa that have PR and Thai citizenship. You should perhaps read through the long PR and citizenship topics.

I don't recall any reports of any application for either one being turned down after the application was accepted. Getting the application accepted can be the hardest part.

There are many people that are members here on Thai visa that have PR and Thai citizenship. You should perhaps read through the long PR and citizenship topics.

I don't recall any reports of any application for either one being turned down after the application was accepted. Getting the application accepted can be the hardest part.

Or not....

It is mainly the wait which is the issue.

Great news

When will the lucky ones be notified, by whom and when or is it a case of waiting for the post ??

Anybody know the routine or process ??

In theory yes, a letter will arrive. However once you are aware that others have received a letter (Guess you will read that here) you can call the PR section to check whether you are on the approved list. You don't need the actual letter. In my case in 2012 the letter was never delivered.

In my case, the letter was delivered to my mailbox the day after I had been to Immigration, who confirmed that I was on the Approved list.

Is it possible for us farangs to view the approved list of names that have been granted PR status or is that to much to ask

If so, wear and on what site coffee1.gif

When countersigned by the king names of recipients will be published in he royal gazette. Like it always has been.

Is it possible for us farangs to view the approved list of names that have been granted PR status or is that to much to ask

When countersigned by the king names of recipients will be published in he royal gazette. Like it always has been.

Does the King need to sign PR approvals. I think that is only for citizenship.

In the years 2004 and 2005 the list of approved names was published on immigration website, although 2006 ( my year of application, later approved in 2012) there was no list, but I do recieved the official approval letter by registered post.

HM The King do not need to sign PR applications.

Once you receive approval, how long is it good for? In other words, how long do you have to accept the invitation before it expires?

After recieving approval letter you got 30 days to recieve your PR book and then 7 days to recieve your red police book.

HM The King do not need to sign PR applications.

Apologies for my error.

Siamyim,

Ubonjoe,

There are some part of the info on those webpage that are not correct. On thing is the 30k baht salary. It is 40k baht which is same as is need for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

This info is better. Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

More info here in this topic: dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

Ubonjoe is right. The first link you provided is blatantly wrong and very misleading. In the second link some information is incorrect and the third link is misleading. Follow Ubonjoe's advice.

As an aside, it would be interesting to learn if General Anupong also signed off on the latest batches of approved citizenship applications which have been forwarded to him for his signature. Just asking, like.