Problems changing from a tourist visa to Non B in Thailand

From what I have read, it depends if who you are working for is an informal or formal school. An agency is considered informal. Now, I understand why a school that gets a contract considers themselves an agency. For now it is a Thai thing and not something you can send a farang to jail for. Let the Thais make that decision. In other words, if they do not ask for it, do not provide it.

Partly true.

You don't need a waiver or license to teach in non-formal schools. Some agencies are also non-formal schools. If they place you in one of their schools or another non-formal situation you don't require the waiver. If you are placed in a formal school waivers or a license are needed.

What would be considered as a formal and non formal school then? Are we just talking about private and government schools?

Non-formal schools: tutoring schools, language courses, etc.

Formal schools: elementary and secondary schools

Universities are formal schools, but fall under different departments and rules. Currently you do not need a teaching license for teaching there.

From what I have read, it depends if who you are working for is an informal or formal school. An agency is considered informal. Now, I understand why a school that gets a contract considers themselves an agency. For now it is a Thai thing and not something you can send a farang to jail for. Let the Thais make that decision. In other words, if they do not ask for it, do not provide it.

Partly true.

You don't need a waiver or license to teach in non-formal schools. Some agencies are also non-formal schools. If they place you in one of their schools or another non-formal situation you don't require the waiver. If you are placed in a formal school waivers or a license are needed.

What would be considered as a formal and non formal school then? Are we just talking about private and government schools?

When I first got here I taught in a school which was actually labeled non-formal. It was a place for older adults to make up their missed high school.

It is not simply the difference between gov't school and private.

I have since been teaching in a large private Christian school, but it's labeled formal. I think depends on curriculum, but honestly I have no idea.

Edited by duanebigsby