Whats Your Favourite Low Fat Dish

Nikkijah

Following on from the 'Do Expats Slim Down Eating Only Thai Food?' thread, I was wondering what exactly it is people make to stop themselves expanding?? I myself am expanding at a frightening rate :o

Please help me to compile a menu of easy fat free dishes that even the most incompetent can prepare

I currently live on pasta, potatoes, steaks and beer so no healthy recommendations from me :D

I have gone from 130kg to 82kg in 4 years and trust me it has nothing to do with fat.

Remove sugar from your diet and see what happens. Also see how much sugar goes into Thai food.

No I am not some Atkins zealot rather a diabetic.

Khutan is right about the sugar. A lot of the curries are very rich with oil and coconut as well, even though I love them. You have to try and avoid the sticky rice.

But anyway, down to basics: eat in moderation, and watch your combinations. For example, don't eat bread, pasta, and steak together, and then add a fat, creamy dessert like ice cream.

You should try to moderate the things you like, for example, don't eat red meat every night, but maybe once a week. Cut down on carbs, but you don't have to eliminate them, just moderate them. Try to introduce more chicken and fish into your diet, but don't fry it.

Cut down on your portions of fat and carbs, and try to eat them in the morning rather than at night. And of course - I recommend this to everyone, but it's true - drink more green tea.

The most basic thing you can do right now is cut down on your portions, eat more salads and less bread, less red meat but more chicken and fish, and don't eat carbs at your last meal.

*edit: And Donz is right - you should start exercising. Start by speedwalking or whatever. Just start moving.

Edited by kat

that chilli salad, forgot whats it called.

Anyways exercise is the best way to trip down, better then any low fat dish.

true donz, I just can't be arsed :D

I've bought myself a bench for sit-ups and it gets used every day, I had to start with 20 or so sit-ups a day but can now 'clear' 40 although I understand this will not necessarily lose me weight as opposed to strengthen my stomach :o I started running around our land last month but fell ill(possibly because of the running!) and haven't started again, I'll have to remind myself tomorrow...

...don't eat carbs at your last meal.

Oops, down goes a four cheeses pasta dish :o

I couldn't think of anything else that didn't involve frying and last night I pigged out on paneng moo right before bedtime and jesus did I regret it - it was so delicious though :D

sit ups when your have a belly will make you belly get alittle bigger actually at the start, because the muscle grown behind the fat faster then the fat burns around the gut.

walking is the best to start you off. I know I couldnt be arsed this year either, I used to be 20kg lighter and had a 6 pack 2 years ago, I started working 7 days a week for a few years, no excercise and now I got a 1 pack, one big pack.

Doing excercise is the hardest the first week, but you actually feel ALOT more energetic the 2nd or maybe 3rd week.

Ive actually started excercising again and running about 2 months ago, but my problem is I drink too much piss which is making me lose it slower.

Also I eat like a beast

I have gone from 130kg to 82kg in 4 years and trust me it has nothing to do with fat.

Remove sugar from your diet and see what happens. Also see how much sugar goes into Thai food.

No I am not some Atkins zealot rather a diabetic.

My partner has done similar to you Khutan, she had our son and was 64kg but it took her a year eating hardly any red meat, fried foods but she did still eat the same amount of sugar in her som tam to come back down to her normal 47kg

I personally think it would be quite hard to cut out the amount of sugar from my diet as I don't see how much goes in, this was my whole reason for starting this thread - I want your recipes!!

Please help

stream fish

as "pla nung manow "

pla-kapong-nung-ma-nao-sml.jpg

Ingredients

1 red snapper weighing about 1lb

1 lettuce

1 cup of chicken stock

3 red chillies (coarsely chopped)

3 tbs of lime juice

1/4 cup lemon grass, finely sliced

2 spring onions

10 peeled cloves of garlic

1 1/2 tbs of thin soy sauce

2 fresh limes, sliced (For the Garnish)

Method

1. Remove fish scales, clean, and wash the fish thoroughly.

2. Score the flesh along the length of the fish with a sharp cooking knife and place it into a deep bowl.

3. Chop the chillies and mix them with the soy sauce, lime juice, lemon grass and chicken stock.

4. Transfer the fish, to a dish large enough to hold it

5. Pour the mixture over the fish

6. add the garlic and the long cut spring onions alongside.

7.Transfer the dish to a steamer ,and steam for about 20-25 minutes

8. Remove the dish from the steamer

http://www.simply-thai.com/thai-food-recip...manaow.htm#This

...don't eat carbs at your last meal.

Oops, down goes a four cheeses pasta dish :o

I couldn't think of anything else that didn't involve frying and last night I pigged out on paneng moo right before bedtime and jesus did I regret it - it was so delicious though :D

Good. Then you can start tomorrow :D Sounds like you will have a supportive partner, too. C'mon, be a healthy dad for your young child. :D

Low Fat KFC style chicken

Cover skinless chicken breasts in low fat mayonnaise.

Liberally coat with your own secret breadcrumb/herb mix. I cannot tell you what I use (It's a family secret handed down from father to son since time immemorial or about 15 years ago!)

Then grill

Thanks BambinA, one problem I should have said from the beginning - I don't eat fish! :o

I absolutely can't stand it, I know it's one of Thailands main dishes but even the faint smell of a well bbq'd fish makes my (growing)stomach turn, I can just about eat som tam thai with the little crispy shrimps but even they make me gag sometimes

How can I overcome this?? I know that if I enjoyed fish that I would lose a lot of weight, not because it would replace the red meat I eat but because of its own properties as a meat

any advice on how to disguise fish to taste(and smell, that's important!) like something else would be a start...

you cant eat healthily in LOS ,it cant be done ,every hotel does the full US or UK brekky .

how often do you see anyone eating porridge or bran or any of the latest superfoods?

Too many temptations everywhere so just enjoy it and go to an early grave .

Diabetes and high blood pressure is de rigour so chillout in that hammock .

Following on from the 'Do Expats Slim Down Eating Only Thai Food?' thread, I was wondering what exactly it is people make to stop themselves expanding?? I myself am expanding at a frightening rate :o

Please help me to compile a menu of easy fat free dishes that even the most incompetent can prepare

I currently live on pasta, potatoes, steaks and beer so no healthy recommendations from me :D

Eat less. Work out more.

Start your day with several glasses of water and fresh lime juice, followed by fruit and yoghurt - esp. papaya and pineapple which contain natural enzymes to get the stomach juices flowing. Try to eat more salads with low-fat dressing or lightly steamed vegetables with a few strips of grilled beef, lamb or chicken.

Exercise - go for a walk or a swim every day. Cut down on beer and pasta.

After a few weeks, you will feel much better. I guarantee - your liver will be healthier and you may even be able to 'stomach' the smell of fish. Actually, you may even be able to eat some steamed fish. Go eat some Japanese food, but try to select dishes without too many sauces and dressings.

Read up on nutrition - there is so much info on the net these days.

Try it - life will all be uphill from there!! :o