Will Prayut accept an outsider PM: Nuttawut

webfact

POLITICS
Will Prayut accept an outsider PM: Nuttawut

NITIPOL KIRAVANICH
THE NATION

Red-shirt notes that proposal is not among the several changes the Cabinet wants to make to the Constitution draft

BANGKOK: -- NUTTAWUT Saikuar, leader of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), hit out at the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday and asked why Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha does not oppose the "outsider PM" article in the draft charter.

The red-shirt leader noted that while the government said proposals to alter the charter draft came from the Cabinet - not the NCPO - it was signed and approved by Prayut, who is both prime minister and junta leader.

"Does the intention to not mention an 'outsider PM' mean the NCPO agrees with the matter or not?" the UDD leader asked, noting that the Cabinet's proposed changes do not include a plan to alter the "outsider PM" article in the charter draft.

He said that as Prayut is seeking assurance to push forward with national reform plans, to prevent further conflict and corruption without exercising another coup after a direct election is held, he believed that everyone wants the same thing guaranteed, yet in reality, this was hard to achieve.

"Even now there is no guarantee that the new constitution will be democratic," he said. "If the authorities do not accept the principle that everyone is equal, there is no guarantee [of pushing national reform plans forward and preventing conflict in the future] as well. We always solved these issues with a coup all along. The truth is that each time there is a coup the issues are never been solved, rather they [the coup-makers] merely use their authority to suppress the issues and wait for them to happen again."

Therefore, instead of asking for a guarantee that such issues won't happen again, authorities should ask themselves if they create any assurances for the people or not, Nuttawut said.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) said it had received proposals from the National Reform Council (NRC) and the Cabinet in regard to amending certain charter articles.

CDC spokesman General Lertrat Rattanawanich insisted yesterday that the CDC would be open to altering articles in the charter, and willing to accept suggestions from all sides.

Lertrat said the CDC would give an opportunity for NRC and Cabinet members who submitted motions to alter charter articles to explain their reasons from June 2 to 6.

The spokesman said people who will explain their recommendations to the CDC will be divided into nine groups -eight lots of reformers and one group from the Cabinet. Each would have no more than five members and would get up to three hours to argue their cases.

"If related agencies such as the National Anti-Corruption Commis-sion [NACC] and Election Commis-sion [EC] want to suggest their ideas to the CDC, the drafters are also willing to listen and the CDC has already given tasks to their subcommittees to gather material from other related organisations, in order to give those suggestions further scrutiny," Lertrat said.

Asked if the 100 revisions to the draft proposed by the Cabinet were more important than proposals from the NRC, Lertrat said the CDC gave importance to every proposal, but the scrutinising process would depend on reasons given for altering articles.

"We are willing to amend the articles to make these articles more suitable, because no particular person owns the constitution. The purpose of amending charter articles - the process - is to make the charter acceptable to people in society, and we will scrutinise them thoroughly," the spokesman said.

As long as the process was yet to reach the approval stage, the charter draft could be amended.

Asked if altering more than 100 articles was possible, Lertrat said that depended on the reasons for altering them. One proposal suggested eliminating the words "civilian" and "political interest group" - and that could affect more than one article.

Charter drafter Thawilwadee Bureekul said she had looked at some of the proposals reformers and ministers had made, and she believed that all the motions and proposals by related agencies were useful for the CDC to scrutinise.

However, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva voiced opposition to the reconciliation committee that will be set up under the new charter having the capacity to grant pardons to wrongdoers.

The new constitution stipulates setting up an independent reconciliation committee and giving it the authority to grant pardons for wrongdoers who admit to their actions and tell the truth to the committee.

Abhisit said after he forwarded his proposals to amend the charter draft, the reconciliation committee would have excessive power in granting pardons and that should be removed from the draft.

He also suggested scrapping Articles 181 and 182, which give the prime minister authority to propose laws or to decide which laws will be passed if the opposition does not file a no-confidence motion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Will-Prayut-accept-an-outsider-PM-Nuttawut-30261014.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-27

and asked why Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha does not oppose the "outsider PM" article in the draft charter.

Now that's a difficult one, I'm gonna have to break my head on that one. Why Prayuth favors an outsider as PM.

Anyone can help with the answer?

Just for clarity, does outside PM refer to an unelected PM?

No. There is no unelected PM. An outsider, not an MP, may be elected as PM should the Parliament so decide.

All PMs, an outsider or an MP, has to be ELECTED by Parliament.

No. There is no unelected PM. An outsider, not an MP, may be elected as PM should the Parliament so decide.

But does this person need to be elected by the people first, as in becoming an MP, to be available to be selected by parliament. Or is any citizen eligible to be selected by parliament to be PM?

But does this person need to be elected by the people first, as in becoming an MP, to be available to be selected by parliament. Or is any citizen eligible to be selected by parliament to be PM?

MPs are either elected by a small constitution of people or gain the post through a party list. No MP is elected by all voters.

MPs are either elected by a small constitution of people or gain the post through a party list. No MP is elected by all voters.

That is not my question. I was wondering what makes someone eligible to be selected to be PM by parliament. Does this person need to be an elected representative of any constituency before they are eligible to be PM?

That is not my question. I was wondering what makes someone eligible to be selected to be PM by parliament. Does this person need to be an elected representative of any constituency before they are eligible to be PM?

The previous Constitutions did not have such a condition. Party list MPs can also be elected PM.

Prayuth knows full well that a people's referendum would be rejected if an outsider was elected to the PM position , this issue must be brought home to him that he is not hoodwinking the public and they know of he's devious stand on this, how else can big daddy stay in power another 18 months while they sort this little number out, . Prayuth - O should be called to answer the people on this, if an outsider was elected into a democratically elected Government, I can't see anything but trouble head for Thailand, which could be factored into Prayuth - O thinking, to make way for another Coup.coffee1.gif

I'm guessing it you would have to be an Ex-General

Whats the point in having an election when the clique of Judges , Senators and the Army can just Usurp power if their Monkeys from PDRC can create a political crises in order to get an elite friendly PM

Its not democracy in any shape or form. Conned into thinking Thais must have this system , its rubbish. 1 man 1 vote , let the people decide not some paternalistic regime that cannot let go

Edited by ExPratt

The previous Constitutions did not have such a condition. Party list MPs can also be elected PM.

Under this method an outsider is elected from a list out side normal election process, this list could be open to corruption and buying their way to PM is quite on the cards.

and asked why Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha does not oppose the "outsider PM" article in the draft charter.

Now that's a difficult one, I'm gonna have to break my head on that one. Why Prayuth favors an outsider as PM.

this whole issue is being exaggerated, the only time an outsider would be appointed as PM is when there is an extreme situation like the one last year when PTP imploded as a government, it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the normal run of things, it is as a contingency to make sure if the need arises that a caretaker PM can be put in place to manage things and would only be for a limited period of time - perhaps the answer is actually putting a time limit on how long an outsider PM can hold office before elections must be held

That is my take on it and if I have got it wrong then someone correct me

this whole issue is being exaggerated, the only time an outsider would be appointed as PM is when there is an extreme situation like the one last year when PTP imploded as a government, it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the normal run of things, it is as a contingency to make sure if the need arises that a caretaker PM can be put in place to manage things and would only be for a limited period of time - perhaps the answer is actually putting a time limit on how long an outsider PM can hold office before elections must be held

"Imploded" ? they were brought down by Street protests Including blocking election stations .the judiciary and ultimately The Army , I cannot see how you work that out as "Implode".You've invented you own story to justify a Military coup

Caretaker only for "Limed Time" what time to imprison and try to destroy the opposition , How anyone Thaican be asked to trust these usurpers of Democratic Government

Edited by ExPratt

"Imploded" ? they were brought down by Street protests Including blocking election stations .the judiciary and ultimately The Army , I cannot see how you work that out as "Implode".You've invented you own story to justify a Military coup

Caretaker only for "Limed Time" what time to imprison and try to destroy the opposition , How anyone Thaican be asked to trust these usurpers of Democratic Government

All the actions and groups you mention acted AFTER the PTP government was forced to resign due to its own actions, the major items being the amnesty bill and the rice scam. That is justifiably called implosion.

Edited by halloween

Yeah sure, everything is exaggerated. This issue, which has been brought up for months already, and which the general beloved polls showed that something like 93% of the Thai public was against an outsider PM, but still Prayuth stays ignorant about it.

Also exaggerated according to you was Prayuth's requirement that a referendum should have a minimum of 80% turnout to be valid.

Now what do you consider an extreme situation?

Could that be a normal event that is exaggerated?

I find the inferences in the article a little ambiguous.

It appears to refer to an 'outsider' being elected PM.

I can only assume that the following then will apply.

1. That Prayuth wallowing in his self appointed importance fancies the job and all the trappings that go with it.

2. He doesn't intend to 'stand' for election just in case he were to lose

3. That he can then be appointed as an 'outsider' who is unelected by his friends on the gravy train.

It doesn't really matter.

Where there is any form of constitution that allows the army to take over on a whim that is not democracy. Thailand has never had it and probably never will.

I think one must not forget that the overthrow of a legally elected government by the military is treason against the state. You can sugar coat it with rhetoric with statements about saving his people, but most people now know that was never the case here. The acquisition of power and control was what it was about.

Treason it is and treason as an act it remains.

Except that an amnesty has been arranged for those involved to prevent prosecution.

Ah....amnesty....yes I remember that!

There is no solution to this.

They know they would lose in a free election because they don't represent the majority.

So two courses of action are open.

One create a constitution that will discount the opinions and votes of the majority of the people, or two, find a way to consistently avoid the need for an election thus keeping power and one day announcing that it's all working fine we don't need democracy.

After all it is working well....the beaches at Phuket are so clean now aren't they....clean enough to find another dead body this week!

If somehow the people forced an election and found a candidate to win then they would simply have another coup and take power back again.

And so it will go on.

There is too much personal wealth and potential gain at work here.

In a normal democracy, any crisis that the incumbent government can't manage will dissolve the house and announce fresh election. Why the need for an outside PM elected by Parliment. Simply no legitimacy elected by few and not by the people.

All the actions and groups you mention acted AFTER the PTP government was forced to resign due to its own actions, the major items being the amnesty bill and the rice scam. That is justifiably called implosion.

How was it its own action, so it was PTP people that were blockading in Bangkok for months and stopping people from carrying their right to vote , She was conveniently kicked out of office by the Judiciary and the Army took over from the next PTP PM in a few days ,

Tell me that's not a conspiracy , tell me how it is PTPs own actions ? .This ts was a conspiracy of the Elite to overthrow a democratically elected Government and prevent an new election because they new they would lose . You people believe this rubbish or you want to churned out in a country now where opposition is illegal. I'd like to see you all be so positive if those events happen in your own country to remove a democratically elected Government. If you support Military Dictatorships and Fascism that's up to you but don't try and insult the rest of us by fantasy facts behind the reason

How was it its own action, so it was PTP people that were blockading in Bangkok for months and stopping people from carrying their right to vote , She was conveniently kicked out of office by the Judiciary and the Army took over from the next PTP PM in a few days ,

Tell me that's not a conspiracy , tell me how it is PTPs own actions ? .This ts was a conspiracy of the Elite to overthrow a democratically elected Government and prevent an new election because they new they would lose . You people believe this rubbish or you want to churned out in a country now where opposition is illegal. I'd like to see you all be so positive if those events happen in your own country to remove a democratically elected Government. If you support Military Dictatorships and Fascism that's up to you but don't try and insult the rest of us by fantasy facts behind the reason

And then back to my post...

Because Thai politicians have shown their immaturity and corruption. The principal may have to be called in again and again.

Yes, you have it wrong from a historical perspective.

While you may believe the Yingluck regime imploded, the 2007 Constitution did not. It provided for a succession process by requiring national elections under the auspices of a caretaker regime. It provided a timetable and maintenance of an interim government consisting of elected officials.

But the 2007 Constitution was EXPLODED by the military coup who ABOLISHED it and replaced it with its own handcrafted charter. When the military has "extra-constitutionality," no people's constitution is protected and essentially becomes a meaningless exercise in democracy.

Yeah sure, everything is exaggerated. This issue, which has been brought up for months already, and which the general beloved polls showed that something like 93% of the Thai public was against an outsider PM, but still Prayuth stays ignorant about it.

Also exaggerated according to you was Prayuth's requirement that a referendum should have a minimum of 80% turnout to be valid.

Now what do you consider an extreme situation?

Could that be a normal event that is exaggerated?

Funny about the referendum -- according to several website the highest voter turnout over the least fifteen years was 79% -- good enough for a government but not a constitution it seems.

NUTTAWUT Saikuar,
he said he is responsible for the Bangkok Burning 5 years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbUVCopKec

Why he is not in jail and still flipping around?

He said he is responsible,
why he must not make a damage compensation with his private assets?

He has enough money and a transport business,
which thanks, self issued transfer orders, has earned a lot of money with the cruising of state rice sacks around the country.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541016-assets-of-new-thai-ministers-announced/

Edited by tomacht8

And then back to my post...

Because Thai politicians have shown their immaturity and corruption. The principal may have to be called in again and again.

But you're blaming politicians for having peoples voting rights taken away. The people here never have the opportunity to vote a government out of power because the military always bullies them out first.

I have another headache.

NUTTAWUT Saikuar,

he said he is responsible for the Bangkok Burning 5 years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbUVCopKec

Why he is not in jail and still flipping around?

He said he is responsible,

why he must not make a damage compensation with his private assets?

He has enough money and a transport business,

which thanks, self issued transfer orders, has earned a lot of money with the cruising of state rice sacks around the country.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541016-assets-of-new-thai-ministers-announced/

Very well spotted. I think the answer to your question is that Nuttawut is a member of the elite. Extremely rich with political clout, which makes him totally untouchable. This is of course in direct contrast with his claims to be a grassroots pauper fighting for the common man and democracy. I realized this shortly after the newspaper interview in which he and Jatuporn admitted being paid in amulets and antiquities for their role in the burning of Bangkok and their other terrorist acts in order to bring their tin-pot dictator home a hero. Pair of absolute flankers.