Photos of kitchen gardens

Great to see all the photos and hard work. I grow rocket in home made bamboo hanging containers. I made dozens of them and they really change open plan ground floor where we hang them. The wife does the full on veggie thing around the back within netted bamboo structures like a series of car ports. we also have all the usual mangoes & bananas etc. I mostly take care of the hanging and house plants and a small cactai display.

post-11943-0-85784900-1433300072_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pics from all (love those hanging bamboos).

I have the heaviest of heavy and inorganic clay here, so I'm trying a method called hugelkultur. Essentially, you dig a shallow trench, fill it with rotting or rotten wood, and then cover it to a considerable depth with earth to make a raised vegetable bed.

The advantages are:

1) The wood absorbs water when it's raining, and releases it when the weather is hot and dry. i.e. automatic water management. I've seen claims that you never have to water plants in a hugelkultur bed.

2) The wood adds welcome organic matter to the soil

3) As the wood rots, it shrinks, creating air pockets, which give roots some leeway to keep going.

There are plenty of online videos on this method; if you suffer with difficult clay soil, or with dry conditions, it is an option worth considering.

I have the heaviest of heavy and inorganic clay here, so I'm trying a method called hugelkultur. Essentially, you dig a shallow trench, fill it with rotting or rotten wood, and then cover it to a considerable depth with earth to make a raised vegetable bed.

The advantages are:

1) The wood absorbs water when it's raining, and releases it when the weather is hot and dry. i.e. automatic water management. I've seen claims that you never have to water plants in a hugelkultur bed.

3) As the wood rots, it shrinks, creating air pockets, which give roots some leeway to keep going.

There are plenty of online videos on this method; if you suffer with difficult clay soil, or with dry conditions, it is an option worth considering.

I looked it up on youtube and watched a few videos. Certainly seems like something worth trying to eventually improve poor soil in long term.

• 2 weeks later...

The advantages are:

I was interested to see that you took the plunge for Hugelkultur, which I used to do back in Switzerland. Your description is a bit over simplified but I know what you mean. Part of the idea is that the decomposing wood warms up the soil, which is interesting in cooler climates but 'not necessarily' here.

I have improved our heavy clay soil with builders sand, adding a bit at a time until it is workable when other gardens are baked solid or caked in sticky mud, plus organic material, compost plus manure and charcoal, mulching. However despite this I cannot grow tomatoes, egg plants, peppers or any other members of the solanaceae family.Nobody else in the village grows them either. I will drive down to Soidog's region sometime and load some of that lovely stony soil on to the truck and start again.

We have ginger, beans, chinese cabbage, pak bung and peppercorn at the moment, as well as dragon fruit which will have to be moved.Rosemary is surviving and most other herbs do well. Nothing much more will be happening before it gets cooler, lettuce doesn't like high temperatures for germination.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow gardeners!

Finally found the time to sit down and upload a photo of my back yard vegetable patch. I know it's small, but it's enough (for the time being) for the missus and myself.

Lettuce, dill, spring onions, yard long beans, mint, tomatoes and both Thai and the purple variety of aubergine (not visible in this photo) are all coming along fine.

Unfortunately only one single head of cabbage poked it's head up through the soil - and it doesn't seem to be growing all that well. 0% success with carrots...

Both the Thai basil (O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora) and the Holy basil (O. sanctum a.k.a O. tenuiflorum) as well as the lemon grass have surpassed my expectations.

I find that the vegetables grow much better in the December to February/March period (at least they did last year). This is my first year planting veggies in the rainy season.

Can anybody recommend a good place in Korat City which carries a wide variety of seeds? Thanks!

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow - 12th August - I can't wait to get out there again and get my hands dirty.

The cat is my little helper - she's a great cat to hunt skink and and she always hangs around when the missus or I are doing something in the yard. Great company!

Hello fellow gardeners!

Finally found the time to sit down and upload a photo of my back yard vegetable patch. I know it's small, but it's enough (for the time being) for the missus and myself.

Lettuce, dill, spring onions, yard long beans, mint, tomatoes and both Thai and the purple variety of aubergine (not visible in this photo) are all coming along fine.

Unfortunately only one single head of cabbage poked it's head up through the soil - and it doesn't seem to be growing all that well. 0% success with carrots...

Both the Thai basil (O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora) and the Holy basil (O. sanctum a.k.a O. tenuiflorum) as well as the lemon grass have surpassed my expectations.

I find that the vegetables grow much better in the December to February/March period (at least they did last year). This is my first year planting veggies in the rainy season.

Can anybody recommend a good place in Korat City which carries a wide variety of seeds? Thanks!

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow - 12th August - I can't wait to get out there again and get my hands dirty.

The cat is my little helper - she's a great cat to hunt skink and and she always hangs around when the missus or I are doing something in the yard. Great company!

I've been trying for two days now to upload the above mentioned photos but no matter which computer I use or where I use it, I keep getting the following message "No file was selected for upload" How can this be? I have the photos saved on the harddrives of two different PCs, I click on the photos and try to upload but I still keep getting this message. What's happening?

I've been trying for two days now to upload the above mentioned photos but no matter which computer I use or where I use it, I keep getting the following message "No file was selected for upload" How can this be? I have the photos saved on the harddrives of two different PCs, I click on the photos and try to upload but I still keep getting this message. What's happening?

Check my pinned topic to see if there is something you may have missed - Posting Images - Guidelines

I was able to post these pictures by first exporting the image from iPhotos to a Pictures file which I then uploaded to this post. I noticed that the same image uploaded directly from iPhoto (which failed to upload) was 9MB in size, but uploaded as a Pictures file, it was only 1-2 MB size.

mango drying

post-215904-0-30415100-1439592295_thumb.

greens

post-215904-0-58803000-1439592488_thumb.

fak tong blossom salad

post-215904-0-88187700-1439592335_thumb.

daikon raddish sprout and baby salad green salad

post-215904-0-84799800-1439592391_thumb.

baby salad green salad

post-215904-0-22581700-1439592428_thumb.

post-215904-0-96312700-1439592468_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Unfortunately this thread hasn't been updated recently. I really enjoyed looking at all the great photos of homegrown garden produce.

I've somehow managed to upload photos again (no idea why I couldn't upload before) so here are a few photos from my humble little vegetable plot at the back of the house.

Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum aka Ocimum sanctum) and Thai basil (โหระพา) (O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora)

post-45719-0-57398400-1454743791_thumb.j

post-45719-0-35010300-1454743926_thumb.j

post-45719-0-56671200-1454744038_thumb.j

Finally the tomatoes are ripening...

post-45719-0-18475700-1454744141_thumb.j

post-45719-0-88042900-1454744819_thumb.j

And here a few yellow wax peppers (aka banana peppers) I picked a few days ago.

post-45719-0-23948200-1454745024_thumb.j

... and there are more

post-45719-0-06713200-1454744885_thumb.j

And finally, two of the eight lime trees are finally bearing fruit.

post-45719-0-26139700-1454744419_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I also like garden pictures, here are some of mine form a little while ago.

Rosemary, French Tarragon, Oregano, Scotch Bonnet, Cilantro, Salad Garden just coming up & lots of tomatoes; the striped one is really hard to grow.

One pineapple to remember where we are.

post-14625-0-99458100-1455716441_thumb.j

post-14625-0-92893800-1455716424_thumb.j

post-14625-0-62730400-1455716408_thumb.j

post-14625-0-85147300-1455716395_thumb.j

post-14625-0-05773600-1455716378_thumb.j

post-14625-0-26031500-1455716337_thumb.j

post-14625-0-70813600-1455716320_thumb.j

post-14625-0-24818700-1455716306_thumb.j

post-14625-0-15604100-1455716293_thumb.j

post-14625-0-41678200-1455716277_thumb.j

post-14625-0-32420000-1455716180_thumb.j

post-14625-0-53269000-1455716220_thumb.j

post-14625-0-21129500-1455716360_thumb.j

IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPGOnly small but some results of plantings done from my wheelchair.

Hi Colinneil. That's quite an impressive crop of lettuce you've got growing in the rings. This year about only half a dozen heads of lettuce have actully grown out of the hundreds of seeds I sowed. In previous years I had much better results. May I ask what feetilizer and soil have you used in the lettuce rings?

A few days ago I sowed a new bed of lettuce but first I worked in a fair bit of Nitrogen into the soil. Am waiting to see what the results will be.

Some more of what's around the garden these days.

A brown turkey fig.

More of the gorgeous striped tomatoes.

Orange tomatoes.

Fiery bhut jolokia

A young bud breaking through the tape; avocado graft at three weeks.

A row of Russian kale.

Greek oregano.

Culinary thyme.

post-14625-0-44942400-1456292637_thumb.j

post-14625-0-32244400-1456292658_thumb.j

post-14625-0-42161400-1456292674_thumb.j

post-14625-0-20860500-1456292681_thumb.j

post-14625-0-20374200-1456292700_thumb.j

post-14625-0-80048400-1456292735_thumb.j

post-14625-0-23404800-1456292743_thumb.j

post-14625-0-52213400-1456292752_thumb.j

A brown turkey fig.

Orange tomatoes.

Fiery bhut jolokia

A row of Russian kale.

Greek oregano.

Culinary thyme.

Those photos look fantastic soidog!

Where did you get the fig? I love figs but didn't know they're available here in T.land.

A brown turkey fig.

Orange tomatoes.

Fiery bhut jolokia

A row of Russian kale.

Greek oregano.

Culinary thyme.

Where did you get the fig? I love figs but didn't know they're available here in T.land.

Figs are easily found if you look for them in Thai (google)

If you travel around Korat/Buriram; you can pick up some cuttings from me.

A brown turkey fig.

Orange tomatoes.

Fiery bhut jolokia

A row of Russian kale.

Greek oregano.

Culinary thyme.

They had figs at the last Korat Ag Show, I posted a pic on the ag show thread.

Next month around the 23rd. in downtown Korat is the Ya Mo Festival, would

be a great place to look, I'm waiting for more red bananas and plantains.

rice555

A brown turkey fig.

Orange tomatoes.

Fiery bhut jolokia

A row of Russian kale.

Greek oregano.

Culinary thyme.

They had figs at the last Korat Ag Show, I posted a pic on the ag show thread.

Next month around the 23rd. in downtown Korat is the Ya Mo Festival, would

be a great place to look, I'm waiting for more red bananas and plantains.

rice555

Thanks Soidog for the very generous offer (I might take you up on that later).

Thanks Rice555 for the info re the festival next month.

I just found out that my wifes' friends, who live in Chockchai, grow and sell figs (as well as raising 200 crocodiles!), so I'm going to visit them and their crocs and take a look at their figs.

Happy gardening!

When you get there, please post some fig pictures, with leaves visible, (so I can tell the type) ; maybe we can get some exchange going.

Will do, but it'll be at least another week or maybe even two before the missus and I get a chance to go there.

Great idea re exchange.

• 2 months later...

When you get there, please post some fig pictures, with leaves visible, (so I can tell the type) ; maybe we can get some exchange going.

Dear Soidog,

my sincerest apologies for not posting photos sooner; what with a full schedule at work and all the odd jobs I'm doing around the house, I simply haven't had time to upload the photos.

Attached are a few photos of the figs I purchased in Chokchai a few weeks back. I bought the two big plants (Baht 600 in total) and they gave me the third and smallest plant free of charge.

The figs are:

Ficus cariea "Japan" (I'm not sure about this one...):

post-45719-0-83829000-1464615040_thumb.j

Ficus cariea Dalmatie:

post-45719-0-45157800-1464615259_thumb.j

and Ficus Cariea ronde de bordeaux:

post-45719-0-23577900-1464615549_thumb.j

I have no idea how to turn the photos upright... sorry about that.

The three plants are doing just fine and I repotted the smallest one, the Japan fig, today. It'll still be some time before I can get any fruit from these trees, but I'm glad I (finally) got them.

Any feed back regarding the figs would be much appreciated. Coming from Ireland, I don't know anything about these exotic plants so there's a huge learning curve but am always glad to learn something new and interesting.

Well, at least you got some, from far away, slightly out of focus, they look like "Brown Turkey" but it's just a guess.

It also looks like they need more light, too skinny and not enough leaves.

Fig trees, do not really like to be fertilized; just make sure the pots are well drained and that enough light reaches them.

If you have access to cow manure, top up the pots with a small amount every few month, more often if you overwater and it spills.

Good luck

This is how they should look at this time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This is how they should look at this time.

image.jpeg

Wow! There's a HUGE difference between your fig tree and mine/my friends' fig trees!!!

Even her trees only have 2 - 3 leaves per plant.

Although I was told that figs don't like direct sunlight, I've left mine outside in the direct sun for the past 6 -8 weeks but I haven't noticed any improvement in the plants.

They seem to be well drained and are watered every 2 - 3 days.

I just added a handfull of cow manute at the weekend. Let's see if that helps.

Archived