500bt/mth Fee For A Direct Line?

gadg

Have visited a few apt buildings today and found one that is to my liking (not one you suggested, but thanks for the help and keep it coming if you have any tips) ... however:

When asked, the front desk said no internet service was provided and also they would not allow for a direct phoneline to be installed. So that kind off made it a no-go for me, as internet is required for me. However, on their website a 500bt/mth fee for a direct line is stated.

Now ... perhaps the board is full, but I've been told to get an outside-the-board direct line for DSL.

Is this fee normal or ridiculous?

Normal monthly fee for a land line (home) is 105 Baht/month (standard phone use, no DSL/ADSL agreements). Condo/apartment rentals are known to beef up the fees such as electricity/water/etc so would not be surprised with this.

Edited by tywais

Normal monthly fee for a land line (home) is 105 Baht/month (standard phone use, no DSL/ADSL agreements). Condo/apartment rentals are known to beef up the fees such as electricity/water/etc so would not be surprised with this.

Make sure you actual take your computer and test the Internet connection before signing a lease. Apartment owners are known to lie about the availability of Internet. Once the lease is signed and they have your money, you are F%&*ked if it doesn't work.

Make sure you actual take your computer and test the Internet connection before signing a lease. Apartment owners are known to lie about the availability of Internet. Once the lease is signed and they have your money, you are F%&*ked if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the heads-up. In this case, they are not offering internet connection but a direct phoneline over which I figure I can get DSL from True. I know to ask for a line outside the switchboard. Are there any other things I could do to make sure DSL will work, before handing over my cash to the apt owner?

Thanks for the heads-up. In this case, they are not offering internet connection but a direct phoneline over which I figure I can get DSL from True. I know to ask for a line outside the switchboard. Are there any other things I could do to make sure DSL will work, before handing over my cash to the apt owner?

If you have a real direct line, not thru a switchboard, then it should be fine. Ask what company supplies the phone service. I believe this can impact who you can buy DSL service from. Give true your phone number for them to check service availablility. You might even call the number while in the apartment to make sure it is really the number of the apartment.

When i moved into my condo nearly 3 years ago. I asked about internet. They said you can go through switchboard. I said thats no good. How about a direct line? They said that none were available. But i could have the next available line. So about 3 months after after dealing with switchboard cutting me off after every 15 minutes i got my direct line. I thought it would be an extra 100 baht on top of the usual rental. But NO! They said i had to pay an extra 500 a month. TIT. What can you do? So for nearly 3 years i have paid it. Also i was informed that i could not get TRUE as i had to get the owners ID card copied and the manager was bloody stupid and said no way she could do it.. I let this go for a few months before trying myself to get TRUE. No worries. Signed a piece of paper saying I PAY the bill even although its not under my name. Got it connected 4 days later. So if you can get thye direct line. Pay the 500 baht. Easy life.