Kuwaiti tourist killed in bungee jump accident

Thaivisa News

'A hospital official said a pick-up truck delivered the tourist and the driver initially claimed that the tourist fainted and passed out. But the hospital staffs did not believe him and pressed for more clarification before the driver admitted that the tourist fell from a bungee jump. The driver then sped off.'

This outfit has a lot to answer for trying to clear the scene. RIP

I'm not going to blame the driver as he was probably scared and trying to at least get the victim to a place where people could help. But the reality is, in thailand if you have a serious accident, it's highly likely you will find yourself lying in the back of a strangers pick up truck driving to hospital without any adequate care or safety. In this case, the victim likely had a spinal injury so rolling around on the flat bed is about the worst thing they could have done if he was alive.

It's a joke, that the weasels in charge of this country place higher importance on suppressing freedoms to protect the "highest institution" than they do on the day to day safety of average people.

Edited by Time Traveller

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bungee jumping is a kind of madness among the new generations IMHO at least. blink.png

OK accident happened for lack of security probably that is what's happened in Phuket.

BUT did everyone know, I did not ,that Injuries occurred also despite safety measures, generally relating to the abrupt rise in upper body intravascular pressure during bungee cord recoil. Eyesight damage is the most frequently reported complication.Impaired eyesight secondary to retinal haemorrhage may be transient or take several weeks to resolve. In one case, a 26-year-old woman's eyesight was still impaired after 7 months. Whiplash injuries may occur as the jumper is jolted on the bungee cord and in at least one case, this has led to quadriplegia secondary to a broken neck. Very serious injury can also occur if the jumper's neck or body gets entangled in the cord. More recently, carotid artery dissection leading to a type of stroke after bungee jumping has also been described. All of these injuries have occurred in fit and healthy people in their twenties and thirties. Bungee jumping has also been shown to increase stress and decrease immune function.

A few lines copy/paste from Wikipedia, I always thought instinctively this activity was kind of suicidal now having read those lines I am convince!

Yes, continue to assess all risks that way and you'll never use any medicine anymore and will never leave the house anymore (even though most accidents happen in the house).

Enjoy your life.

Simply change the rope and continue using it till next sucker naive tourist dies, then repeat.

The Phuket News can confirm that the police have now closed down the World Bungee Jump until their investigations are complete.

Comment after comment stating the obvious. Anyone that moves to, goes to, a 3 rd world country should understand that there is much less control over everything from building, traffic, laws in general, consumer rights, etc etc.

When I was young we could sit in the back of our "utes" with our boards and go for a surf. Thailand will get there after 2-300,000 more deaths.

If I saw that crane in a field there is no way I would jump off the top of it. Most smart, sober people on this forum would agree.

If it is a falung owner he will pay and it is an unavoidable accident, A Thai will pay less, only difference.

Police will likely take the view I have, crazy for doing it, and certainly there was a risk.

Like everytime you get on a plane, or a car for that matter in Thailand.

RIP....so sad.

It's the same bungee operator in this story from 2009: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/05/briton-survives-bungee-fall-thailand

I wonder if the fine for deaths is bigger than allowing nudity...

this is thailand !

Its a 3rd worl country,

and you are in a Jungle, there are no rules and laws implemented,

The GVT is puppet theatre, which know only 1 word - corruption !!

The owner would get at least 2 years in jail in Europe,

Here poliice found it was an exident,

special investigation will find, it was suicide of the jumper, he cutted the wire by his sharp nails !!

RIP

'A hospital official said a pick-up truck delivered the tourist and the driver initially claimed that the tourist fainted and passed out. But the hospital staffs did not believe him and pressed for more clarification before the driver admitted that the tourist fell from a bungee jump. The driver then sped off.'

This outfit has a lot to answer for trying to clear the scene. RIP

I'm not going to blame the driver as he was probably scared and trying to at least get the victim to a place where people could help. But the reality is, in thailand if you have a serious accident, it's highly likely you will find yourself lying in the back of a strangers pick up truck driving to hospital without any adequate care or safety. In this case, the victim likely had a spinal injury so rolling around on the flat bed is about the worst thing they could have done if he was alive.

It's a joke, that the weasels in charge of this country place higher importance on suppressing freedoms to protect the "highest institution" than they do on the day to day safety of average people.

from where people in a 3rd world should get first aid knowledge and training ?

all they know is to catch the rat for food and fight the red ant !

Most thgere huts are so un welcoming, that even mosquitos dont enter !

>Doctors had performed an x-ray and found that he suffered broken neck and broken right lib.

A broken rights liberation?

Someone should sue for libel.

...I hope that someone can make a more clever pun with this than I just did.

Chaiwat said police will investigate that it was an accident or a case of carelessness. How the firk can a cable breaking during the jump ever be an accident. They should be investigating if it was murder or manslaughter, end of story.

Perhaps if you don't tie it properly? I have never liked that sort of thing. Life is dangerous enough as it is

I often wonder about the Pattaya Park tower and the cables used for the zip line and trolleys......there getting old.

Yes, accidents will happen , it's just a matter of time.

"Police found the body of Kadhmbahman" how long did they have to look for his body???

Don't be so juvenile. "Found the body" is a commonly used term.

Edited by HerbalEd

Well, one of these days I may be a victim of Thai face saving as I sit reading my newspaper and see young dumb tourist, wantabe teachers, retirees fresh off the boat it will be my proud responsible to inform these people of the danger they are in for, And yes, Some smart ass reading my post is saying go home Yank. No, let's make Thailand better after all we <removed> it up so we share a responsibility, over paying bar girls, building homes, businesses and after being screwed we bitch.

Are we part of the problem with our money or solution.

'World' Bungy Jump Patong? what you see is what you get - is an old archaic crane with a cage on the end of cable which hoists up the participent and they get to jump out over a crappy scrub area with a filthy manmade lake. Nowhere near the beach but access off Sai Nam Yen/end of Nanai rd Jct near bowling alley. Even they had called an ambulance from times I have seen the so called medics just shake the victim and if a response drag them up onto their feet and march them into vehicle, no sign of neck braces and backboards??

RIP to the poor tourist, and nothing will be done this place will carry on operating as it generates bhat - simple

Why on earth is this place still open? It's not the first death there, and there have been other close misses..

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Two-dead-Phuket-bungy-jumping-accident/29187

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/nightmare-phuket-bungy-jump-tourist-tells-11642/

Both different places.

But maybe your 'other close misses' are correct, any links for those?

Edited by stevenl

You're right, just realised that - they are all really similar setups jumping over water

But still appears Phuket's bungy jump sites are notoriously dangerous

I would never consider this, but to be honest, a test jump gone wrong (should have used dummies) and a 2009 accident are not that strong evidence for your claim.

hurtling head first towards the ground with essentially elastic rubbers tied around your ankles is always going to be problematic. If you have a need to do this sort of thing I would suggest you do it in a country that has a regard for safety...ie don't do it in Thailand....they don't give a sh*t

Coulda been a suicide, the Kuwait victim just jumped to make it look like an accident.

If I was a local and connected and wanted to cover up a murder, I'd strap the victim up and let him jump bungee.

Once again, Safety in Thailand is a non starter, in any shape or form...

Poor guy....

So the countless successful jumps in Thailand were just lucky were they? And it must mean that the injuries and deaths from bunjee jumpers around the world must have been because the operators were Thai?....More Thai bashing for the sake of Thai bashing. About time TV mods kept to the guideline of not allowing derogatory comments about our host country