Prayut's 'war on corruption' will kick off soon

webfact

Will there be a background check on people like K. Suthep?

Definitely a place to start to show impartiality

The Yingluck government did that for sure for the last 15 years - and if they did not find anything or could not even make it up then there is nothing. Believe me

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched his recent weekly address and he used the term "independent thinking" in trying to help farmers have better lives. also trying to weed out the middlemen that profit at farmers expense and assuring them the government will be on their side along the journey. not so bad and someone has to start somewhere.

Will there be a background check on people like K. Suthep?

Definitely a place to start to show impartiality

The Yingluck government did that for sure for the last 15 years - and if they did not find anything or could not even make it up then there is nothing. Believe me

Nothing on Suthep?

You re the only one who think that then...even his own party thought he was too corrupted...

I suspect a lot of this corruption is historical and related to illegal use of land which belongs to the state.

I know for sure the army have been spotted photographing various buildings around these parts recently.

There's definitely going to be trouble for some people ahead. Things are going to accelerate.

Sorry for the off topic, but to member Promax, please tell me the name of this school, I have been a teacher here in Thailand for over 24 years and work with the Ministry of Education. It is one thing to steal or cheat grown-ups but to steal money from children and especially poor childeren that has to stop and they need to be exposed. Thank you

They can kick-off any time they want, it is still going to take many, many generations to normalise a law-and-order ethos in society, and to make corruption into a rare orchid rather than the ubiquitous perennial weeds we see today.

But even a slow and selective start, is better than no start at all, at least this is my hope.

Maybe good news at last on the corruption front but it has to be done across the board.

Not just the top tier like the government officials but with the lower ranks such as the police and school teachers.

Heard one such case only last week. My wife has neices and nephews who are aged between 6 and 8 who go to the local village school.

The pupils are 'encouraged to save money' with their teachers, normally about 5B a day.

The neice came home the other day asking for my wife to now keep any money she saves as she does not want to give to the teacher.

This action was sparked when the nephew was told he had accumaleted savings with the teacher of 400B but he could not have it back as the teacher had no money to give him.

Some of the children were given back the money they saved by some teachers, but other teachers would not give back at all.

5B a day for 30 children in a class is a lot of extra cash to top up one's wages.

The parent's however are afraid to go and see the teacher or tell their children not to give the teacher money as they fear the children will be victimised by the teacher.

This is the sort of corruption that should be stamped on before the children except this as a way of life, and do similar when they grow up.

Reading this prompted the following non Thainess idea:

In the short term maybe the Thai teachers should be replaced with Farang teachers in the first grade. The kids could be taught English when they are young and the classes could therefore be taught in English.

This old con by you wife to get you give money for nieces and nephews education I know you wife is different

Tell you wife to be a teacher not a con art

Purge II

Wars on nouns are stupid things... tackling corruption means combining transparency and access to information with the appropriate laws.

Corruption has existed since the beginning of time and it always will - that is human nature. Addressing it is a question of processes, not wars.

He's only been in power for a year and the war has just about to be declared.

I suppose sorting out lottery ticket prices, bike lanes and deck chair mafia are more important.

Think about it mate---this job needs more than 12 soldiers to sort out------so your last sentence is strange, as it is used by the anti PM brigade and has now got whiskers on.

Thailand needs encouragement not cheap shots like this. I do not condone all, but I do see when things are moving on and I am not in denial.

Thai talk is cheap. Let's see some actual busts of Tai big men, Thai bankers, and Thai business cronies. Let's see them cuffed, charged, indicted and arraigned and tried. Steep jail time handed out for those found guilty.

Same could be said for probably every country in the world.

Thai talk is cheap. Let's see some actual busts of Tai big men, Thai bankers, and Thai business cronies. Let's see them cuffed, charged, indicted and arraigned and tried. Steep jail time handed out for those found guilty.

Don't forget , ?!?!....having pictures published of them with someone pointing a finger at them.....!!! love to see that.....couldn't be too soon....!

Edited by off road pat

Start from the bottom and work your way up to a certain level......Then its time for election so face saved......

Yes I am quoting myself.

After some thought, above statement might not be a joke after all. It may very well be the best approach as firstly; ending the low level officials tea money will have direct impact on public perception, secondly it will gradually dry out the streams of money flowing upwards through the hierarchy. it will stamp out corruption from the roots up so to speak.

targeting some high level land grabbers or mega projects corruption may bring headlines, but will do little to stop the endemic corruption at all levels.

Purge II

Wars on nouns are stupid things... tackling corruption means combining transparency and access to information with the appropriate laws.

Corruption has existed since the beginning of time and it always will - that is human nature. Addressing it is a question of processes, not wars.

Very true. Unfortunately most of the posters here aren't smart enough to understand it.

Bravo Prayut.

This country is totally messed up. The general is trying to improve things and I admire him for that.

I am more cynical for the future. New governments will eventually come to power. Things will go back to their "natural state". Corruption, scams, lies.

It is ingrained in their DNA.

Yes indeed. When a significant number of big men are brought down, and actually receive sentences from some of the softest and most compromised judges on the planet, then we may start believing he is serious. Until then, just a lot more jaw boning, to pander to the masses.

Yes. Do start! But make sure cronies have been given time to dispose, hide, transfer assets obtained via corruption in the past. And I still wonder how career military men amass millions on a mere government salary. Care to guess?

Think the trucks full of millions of Thai baht that are being caught

at the Laos border represent the corrupt officials trying to rapidly get

their money of Thailand. Too funny for words. Guess this clearly shows they were tipped off.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Hey! At least this current PM is trying to start battling corruption, and that is better

than the last bunch of years! Baby steps, and small steps are all progress.

I just hope he can clean up even some of the corruption in Thailand, it is all progress

toward a better country.

Look at the recent FIFA news, I keep getting a bit hopeful when I see a big organization like

that finally getting investigated, after all of the years their corruption has existed!

I guess a lot more toes have to be stepped on, and more eggs have to break,

and a lot more people have to be affected before everyone can see the corruption levels actually

decreasing. Time will tell!

Maybe good news at last on the corruption front but it has to be done across the board.

Not just the top tier like the government officials but with the lower ranks such as the police and school teachers.

Heard one such case only last week. My wife has neices and nephews who are aged between 6 and 8 who go to the local village school.

The pupils are 'encouraged to save money' with their teachers, normally about 5B a day.

The neice came home the other day asking for my wife to now keep any money she saves as she does not want to give to the teacher.

This action was sparked when the nephew was told he had accumaleted savings with the teacher of 400B but he could not have it back as the teacher had no money to give him.

Some of the children were given back the money they saved by some teachers, but other teachers would not give back at all.

5B a day for 30 children in a class is a lot of extra cash to top up one's wages.

The parent's however are afraid to go and see the teacher or tell their children not to give the teacher money as they fear the children will be victimised by the teacher.

This is the sort of corruption that should be stamped on before the children except this as a way of life, and do similar when they grow up.

Reading this prompted the following non Thainess idea:

In the short term maybe the Thai teachers should be replaced with Farang teachers in the first grade. The kids could be taught English when they are young and the classes could therefore be taught in English.

This old con by you wife to get you give money for nieces and nephews education I know you wife is different

Tell you wife to be a teacher not a con art

Not everyone has the luck to be in Pattaya to see the best of thai girls

" Ok chaps ! . We have given the filthy corrupt Government Officials, Local Officials, Police Officers and Business leaders ( to name a few ), a full year now to get their finances in order, so nows the perfect time for a major crackdown " clap2.gif

Edited by Cake Monster

My wife has been a government teacher for 26 years and has never received any money from any corrupt act. Now school directors are a different story. But if she wanted a transfer to another school she would have to pay 200,000 baht to get it. I think teachers are at the bottom of the ladder in terms of corrupt government officials with little or no opportunity to jump on the gravy train.

Whilst i do not doubt the sincerity of your post doing the maths it does seem a lot of work for a small return and a lot of potential hassle from parents.

30 children x 5 baht a day x 180 days a year school is open = 27,000 baht a year that's assuming every child pays and the teacher returns nothing.

My post was sincere and I am not saying all Thai teachers are currupt. By the law of averages there must be some honest ones.

However small the amount taken from the children, it is still wrong. To some pupils 200B or more is a very large sum of money especially in a rural village

where every baht counts for some families.

I don't agree that it takes a lot of work to take the childrens money, the teacher just holds the hand out and puts the money in the pocket,

meanwhile time taken to do this is less time they have to try and teach. Yes a maximum 27,000B extra for such a heinious crime is not a lot

but I doubt they do this just for the extra money but because 'I can' attitude, and it makes them feel big and powerful, the same as when those teachers in the school

still take scissors or an electric razor to a pupils head if, in their opinion, the hair is too long.

There is no hassle from parents as Thais do not like confrontation and know if they do complain their child could suffer in school

besides this could have happened in their time at school and now they just accept it as a way of life.

It also sends out the wrong message to the children who will grow up accepting this way of life and perhaps will follow the teachers lead.

In my days at school we were taught the difference between right and wrong by teachers aswell as our parents.