When does the wet come here in Isaan?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes shaurene this year in Thailand has been hotter than usual. Just now in part of India (on BBC TV in UK yesterday) there is a drought and the temperature daytime was 118 Deg C. Hot Hot! I think Thailand will have hotter than normal temperatures for a wee while longer.

Hi Kenny, here is a link to a good met site, and I have got the Chaiyaphum rainfall and temp graphs up. http://en.climate-data.org/location/37439/

Anyone else can get their province or sub-region with little difficulty on this site, just click on the Thailand link and then scroll down, choose your province and go from there.

Please note these are historical averages, and variance from those averages can be great. As we farm and have to irrigate it is critical for us to know what is going on, so we have our own rain guage and take the rainfall readings every morning. We had nearly 30% more rainfall than average here in our area last year, but the neighbouring province and the north of our province received less than average rainfall according to the Thai met office. .

My observations are that especially at the start of the rainy season, the rain can be quite localised, and is highly unpredictable. We had a massive downpour here the other day nearly 50mm in less than an hour, yet 6km up the road nothing at all.

Yes shaurene this year in Thailand has been hotter than usual. Just now in part of India (on BBC TV in UK yesterday) there is a drought and the temperature daytime was 118 Deg C. Hot Hot! I think Thailand will have hotter than normal temperatures for a wee while longer.

118 f ,i think,118 c they would all be cooked,but if you look at Thailands latitude is is level with India,el nino year,always brings hotter temps and less rain.look at the catastrophic drought in Queensland ,Australia.i think there will be major implications for se asia this year,as another poster said this is shaping to be a very strong el nino event.

Thanks for all the info. As far as localized I was sitting in a restaurant 2 weeks ago dry as a bone....but 20 meters away the edge of the storm. Ground was dry where I was and bucket ting down a stones throw away

Hi Kenny, here is a link to a good met site, and I have got the Chaiyaphum rainfall and temp graphs up. http://en.climate-data.org/location/37439/

Anyone else can get their province or sub-region with little difficulty on this site, just click on the Thailand link and then scroll down, choose your province and go from there.

Please note these are historical averages, and variance from those averages can be great. As we farm and have to irrigate it is critical for us to know what is going on, so we have our own rain guage and take the rainfall readings every morning. We had nearly 30% more rainfall than average here in our area last year, but the neighbouring province and the north of our province received less than average rainfall according to the Thai met office. .

My observations are that especially at the start of the rainy season, the rain can be quite localised, and is highly unpredictable. We had a massive downpour here the other day nearly 50mm in less than an hour, yet 6km up the road nothing at all.

Going off that rainfall chart May is a prime month but we've had very little so far. Mind you for no apparent reason the klong is up and running fast so maybe the mountains are copping it. Speaking of, probably a silly question but why do some klong run clear and others only 100m away run yellow? Is it just the natural color of the water or is it chemical run off from farms?

Consider yourself lucky. In the Middle east where I work it has been in the high 30's to low 40's for about three weeks every day now and heading into the 50's. That's right 50's by August with no rain in sight.

This is either the third or fourth year in a row I have either joined in or started a thread expressing serious concern about the lack of rain in Issan in late May.. Every time I have regretted within a week making any comment as the heavens have opened up washing away any doubts.

Hopefully this post will be a waste of time too.

its not just issan,

here in sakaeo province we could do with the rains coming

Sakaeo is the most beautiful province I have seen. And I haven't seen earth so dark anywhere else, neither has my (Isaan) wife.

Driving through Sakaeo was the highlight of our trip to Chanthaburi, even better than our stay in Chanthaburi itself, unfortunately.

But more on topic, I dunno about Chaiyaphum, but in lower Isaan we have been getting some fierce thunder and lighting storms. Really fierce. A lot rain too. Though none for a week or so.

I expect "the wet" is coming soon though. Me and the good lady are going out to buy trees at the weekend in anticipation of the rain coming. She always knows when the wet is coming, I dunno how she does it.

post-155547-0-55521300-1432985389_thumb.post-155547-0-15952900-1432985398_thumb.

This is the river Chai that Chaiyaphum gets its name from, about 40 Km upstream where it passes our village, that platform in the river is the pump that sucks our villages water out, its not looking very good at all... sad.png

Our Klong water (which their filling our moo ban tank) is yellow. Predicting storms in Chaiyaphum everyday but haven't seen one for a month. Just seems to be getting hotter every day

I would say; showers/storms normally start after Songkran (i.e. 10-15 min downpours in the afternoon). Thunderstorms in May/June; again 10/15 mins, 30 if your lucky.

More frequently from July ......... then in Sept/Oct we usually get 2-3 weeks of solid rain (24 hour stuff), ...... then it stops till Songkran ...............:-)

Although, this last year has been completely different; no constant rain in Sept/Oct and no showers/storms after Songkran; I can remember 3 downpours in the last 6 weeks?? We desperately need rain, the plants that is :-)

This is very unusual,now june 1st,and we have had hardly a drop,it was 40c yesterday according to the thermometer in my carport,yet there is so little moisture around ,where in previous years when it gets this hot you can usually expect a thunder storm at present,nothing.

Yesterday here in khonkaen it stated showers for today, now it just says partly cloudy, the rain season is due but no sign of it arriving yet.

Yesterday here in khonkaen it stated showers for today, now it just says partly cloudy, the rain season is due but no sign of it arriving yet.

No it's overdue, greetings from El nino, the rainy season has taken a holiday. I really pity those farmers who have planted this season,already up to their necks in debt,low prices for their produce, still no payment from 2013 harvest and now this.

This is shaping as a strong el nino,Se asia may have a drought on a large scale,a lot of people are going to go broke if this happens,yet nothing from the govt,as usual they will wait until it has happened,this until giving warnings,like do not plant rice.

No it's overdue, greetings from El nino, the rainy season has taken a holiday. I really pity those farmers who have planted this season,already up to their necks in debt,low prices for their produce, still no payment from 2013 harvest and now this.
We had some rain a few hours ago and had thunder storms, nothing major but good for the garden.

This is shaping as a strong el nino,Se asia may have a drought on a large scale,a lot of people are going to go broke if this happens,yet nothing from the govt,as usual they will wait until it has happened,this until giving warnings,like do not plant rice.

I believe the govt have already advised not to plant rice Marko due to the stockpile

Same here. I think people just growing some rice for themselves. They all grow casava (tapioca?) Here. Christ you throw a stick in the most flogged sand / soil with no water for months and it grows. I never heard of it before but they must use it for something. Grows all over Thailand

Well the heavens have opened. This is most sustained rain I've seem for a long time. Last years season was unusual in that there was rain, but not that usual day long storms which dump a consistent large volume over a long period.

It started here yesterday afternoon and as I wake up this morning still good heavy rain coming down.

And as a side note, given the tremendous lightening storm last evening, miraculously the power stayed on all night!