Chinese elevate to status of ‘quality tourists’

Thaivisa News

What is it that makes people so uptight about these facts ? --and they are facts.

They are the same facts reported by other governments all around the world.

These are the very latest figures just released 15/4/2015---The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) just released new data on tourist spending in 2014. Last year international tourism generated over $1,245 billion around the world. Tourism is obviously a huge moneymaker for countries that are top travel destinations, but some tourists spend more than others.

Unsurprisingly, Chinese people spent the most when traveling abroad, spending a total of $165 billion in 2014....1/

Unsurprisingly it would seem to everyone but the farang bar experts who see it all as a great plot by Thailand Gov-- but their not going to be fooled by it all----they haven't seen one Chinese guy buy a bar girl a house---so how can it be correct. I guess the United nations are also in on this plot.........coffee1.gif

unwto-tourism-spending-chart-2014.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/tourists-from-these-countries-spend-the-most-when-traveling-abroad-2015-4

Interesting that you can be so smug and condescending, but you don't even see that you're mistaking TOTAL expenditures for PER CAPITA (i.e. per tourist) expenditures.

The OP refers to the latter; commenters disputed that Chinese tourists would be spending that much per tourist, then you trot out TOTAL spent per country with no regard to how many tourists that represents.

Open mouth, insert foot.

Interesting also that no one else (at least four pages hence) noticed this obvious mistake of yours.

During my many trips to Chiang Mai, I've seen two things: one, via the owners of the GH I regularly stay at--they stopped advertising online because of the many poorly-behaved and cheapskate Chinese tourists who, for example, would request hot water pots for their instant noodle meals in their rooms. But then when changing money I'd often see Chinese tourists changing pretty big sums; hard to say of course how often they're changing money, but it's possible they're skimping on food (which is hilarious and yet pathetic it being Chiang Mai, THE place in tourist-pipeline Thailand to get delicious and cheap food), so they can blow big sums on...who knows, gambling? Gold? Happy ending massages?

Regardless, the first line gets to the heart of it (confirmed by the other article posted by a member early on): "quality" actually does mean quantity--spent. The hypocrisy is also rather pathetic, being so blatant.

Ignorants always treat others as condescending when they shut their big mouths with facts. Here is a zoo of red necks who can't accept the fact that they are a real nuisance in this country.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A Chinese company is sending more than 12,000 people on a holiday to Thailand, tourism officials said Thursday, with one resort hosting a series of back-to-back banquets catering to thousands of guests at a time."

[itthiphol Kunplome, Pattaya's mayor, confirmed that the first batch of nearly 3,000 employees had begun arriving in his city.

"We are ready to welcome them and ready to facilitate their activities while they are in Pattaya," he told AFP.]

Maybe we should try and tell the Mayor of Pattaya that he's got it all wrong, and that he should tell the 12,000 Chinese to go somewhere else for this particular holiday ??

Or should he just say that this particular 12,000 are fine, it's just that the other 1,000,000 are NOT welcome ?

I really do wonder at the mentality of some people. :)

I had lunch the other day with two Australians staying at the 4 star Muse hotel in central Bangkok. Cost 7200 baht incl 1 bottle of wine in the hotelarrow-10x10.png restaurant. Foyer full of aussies and yanks. Didnt see any Chinese in the hotel.

You have to go to some dumpy hotel orarrow-10x10.png cheap soi eatry to find chows.

The Tat and other authorities simply make all these figures up.

In reply to Tonbridgebrit Post #134 :-

sambum, I am trying to compare the penniless old men who live permanently in Thailand with the Chinese tourists who go there. Yes, some of the Chinese tourists cause a minor problem, but I think the old men who abuse Thais in bars and other places, well, those people are worse.

You also get other permanent tourists who are not very old, been in Thailand for ages, speak a bit of Thai, and go on and on about how rubbish Thailand is. Again, they walk into bars, and start verbally abusing the Thai staff. Things like looking at the women in the bars, and saying to them in Thai "you are a group of prostitutes, you cannot cheat and steal my money, you are all buffalo sh-t". Yes, these fahlang have learnt how to say this in Thai. The local Thais hate this, and indeed, sometimes, the women in the bar will respond by shouting back at them, tell them to pay up, and leave. And angry foreigner tosses a fifty baht note on the table, and shouts out "you are all buffalo sh-t, I don't want to waste my money here" in Thai, as he walks out of the bar. Remember, the foreigner doesn't even know the people in the bar, he's basically an angry and embittered person, abusing Thais because, because they are Thai.

You know, when I see this, I sometimes want to help and join in with the ladies, and I feel like pushing the hooligan/angry person out of the bar as he walks out. There was once, I noticed a katoey with some Thai bar girls, and the katoey (ladyboy) did actually push the fahlang out as he walked out, and katoey pushed him twice. The katoey was almost daring the angry man "go on, push me back if you've got courage, we'ill see what happens then". Angry man just left. Yes, I bought the katoey a drink after that, and no, I'm not interested in sex with katoeys ! smile.png

Anyway, I know the bulk of retired men in Thailand are okay, you seem to be an okay man from what you've written. Surely, if you've been in Thailand long enough, you yourself know about some of the fahlang trouble-makers that I'm on about ??

I have been living in Thailand for about 10 years, and coming here for 20,and I have NEVER seen an old farang man be abusive to Thais! (At least not to their face - we old people know better!) You keep repeating that phrase as if it is a regular occurrence, and from what you said in an earlier post this is happening in a small village/town/city? Surely the offender(s) can be told to pack it in or they are banned? And tell them that it would apply to every bar that they frequent?Can't be all that many because in your own words, you are not talking about Pattaya, Bangkok etc.and in any case these offenders only go out once a week, right?

Similarly, regarding your scenario regarding the younger "permanent tourists" (what are they?) I have NEVER come across a situation such as you describe - it's almost as if you got it word for word from a bad novel or film.The type of people that you describe are stereotypes in your mind - are you in the process of writing a book, perhaps?

What I HAVE seen is groups of ladyboys surrounding tourists in an attempt to pick their pockets. What I HAVE seen is girls in bars sitting down beside a total stranger, put their hands in his crotch and offering their services, and becoming offended when these are refused.(Maybe this is where the buffalo s**t word comes in?) What I HAVE seen is drunken farangs trying to grope bar girls, but are soon put in their place by the other girls, bar staff or owner. What I HAVE seen are groups of old men sitting in bars complaining about certain aspects of Thailand/Thais such as the standard of driving, or the fact that if a farang gets into a fight with a Thai it is never with one Thai, and usually fists are not enough, or that if a Thai workman promises to come to service your a/c and doesn't turn up, he will never phone you to apologise in spite of the fact that you gave him your telephone number etc etc etc, but the situations you describe must be a figment of your imagination, or you are frequenting the wrong place(s)!

I find it hard to believe the average Chinese tourist spends more than an Aussie tourist.

An Aussie would spill more than a Chinese tourist spent on an average day. biggrin.png

Lot of angry farangs who seem to have lost 'face' reading this report.

Chinese tourists to spend more, stay longer than Aussies: MBIE

Have you noticed that too. Face seems to be quite an issue. Dogs too.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/chinese-tourists-spend-more-stay-longer-aussies-mbie-b-172878

Thanks for the post, lostoday. :)

Okay, from the link you've provided, New Zealand has decided to get in on the act, and attract the Chinese tourists as well. I love the bit when it says that Air New Zealand and Tourism New Zealand co-hosted China's top reality TV programme "Dad, where are we going?" to film in New Zealand last year. A Chinese audience of 400 million and a further 26 million social media users !! :)

I hope Chinese people are not going to do things like see the silly and ridiculous anti-Chinese tourist comments made by ThaiVisa posters here. Chinese might get confused between New Zealand and a load of ThaiVisa people ! We wouldn't want a load of silly people on ThaiVisa damaging the good work done by New Zealand.

Here's the link again: http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/chinese-tourists-spend-more-stay-longer-aussies-mbie-b-172878

sambum, I am trying to compare the penniless old men who live permanently in Thailand with the Chinese tourists who go there. Yes, some of the Chinese tourists cause a minor problem, but I think the old men who abuse Thais in bars and other places, well, those people are worse.

You also get other permanent tourists who are not very old, been in Thailand for ages, speak a bit of Thai, and go on and on about how rubbish Thailand is. Again, they walk into bars, and start verbally abusing the Thai staff. Things like looking at the women in the bars, and saying to them in Thai "you are a group of prostitutes, you cannot cheat and steal my money, you are all buffalo sh-t". Yes, these fahlang have learnt how to say this in Thai. The local Thais hate this, and indeed, sometimes, the women in the bar will respond by shouting back at them, tell them to pay up, and leave. And angry foreigner tosses a fifty baht note on the table, and shouts out "you are all buffalo sh-t, I don't want to waste my money here" in Thai, as he walks out of the bar. Remember, the foreigner doesn't even know the people in the bar, he's basically an angry and embittered person, abusing Thais because, because they are Thai.

You know, when I see this, I sometimes want to help and join in with the ladies, and I feel like pushing the hooligan/angry person out of the bar as he walks out. There was once, I noticed a katoey with some Thai bar girls, and the katoey (ladyboy) did actually push the fahlang out as he walked out, and katoey pushed him twice. The katoey was almost daring the angry man "go on, push me back if you've got courage, we'ill see what happens then". Angry man just left. Yes, I bought the katoey a drink after that, and no, I'm not interested in sex with katoeys ! smile.png

Anyway, I know the bulk of retired men in Thailand are okay, you seem to be an okay man from what you've written. Surely, if you've been in Thailand long enough, you yourself know about some of the fahlang trouble-makers that I'm on about ??

I have been living in Thailand for about 10 years, and coming here for 20,and I have NEVER seen an old farang man be abusive to Thais! (At least not to their face - we old people know better!) You keep repeating that phrase as if it is a regular occurrence, and from what you said in an earlier post this is happening in a small village/town/city? Surely the offender(s) can be told to pack it in or they are banned? And tell them that it would apply to every bar that they frequent?Can't be all that many because in your own words, you are not talking about Pattaya, Bangkok etc.and in any case these offenders only go out once a week, right?

Similarly, regarding your scenario regarding the younger "permanent tourists" (what are they?) I have NEVER come across a situation such as you describe - it's almost as if you got it word for word from a bad novel or film.The type of people that you describe are stereotypes in your mind - are you in the process of writing a book, perhaps?

What I HAVE seen is groups of ladyboys surrounding tourists in an attempt to pick their pockets. What I HAVE seen is girls in bars sitting down beside a total stranger, put their hands in his crotch and offering their services, and becoming offended when these are refused.(Maybe this is where the buffalo s**t word comes in?) What I HAVE seen is drunken farangs trying to grope bar girls, but are soon put in their place by the other girls, bar staff or owner. What I HAVE seen are groups of old men sitting in bars complaining about certain aspects of Thailand/Thais such as the standard of driving, or the fact that if a farang gets into a fight with a Thai it is never with one Thai, and usually fists are not enough, or that if a Thai workman promises to come to service your a/c and doesn't turn up, he will never phone you to apologise in spite of the fact that you gave him your telephone number etc etc etc, but the situations you describe must be a figment of your imagination, or you are frequenting the wrong place(s)!

sambum, I am happy for you that you have never (or very rarely) met any of the trouble makers that I have constantly seen ! :)

Yes, I've lived in Bangkok before (went to Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy twice a week, it was great, very few trouble makers there) and Pattaya as well (went to Walking Street most nights, some drunken customers there, they don't abuse staff, and they pay their bills).

The trouble-makers are most noticeable in places outside of the main tourist places. This is happening in small cities and towns all over Thailand. Ban them ? That's easier said than done. Nasty man will cause trouble, leave that bar, and then go back again a few weeks later. If a bar has changed hands, he'ill go in, they're not going to know who or what he is. Also, when he goes back to that bar in a few weeks time, if the bar hasn't got a fahlang boss, then the Thai ladies might just feel "well, what are we suppose to do, we don't want him in here, but he is still a customer". And also, in whatever town we're on about, totally new fahlang turns up, nobody has ever seen him before, and he causes a problem. Or maybe he was last in the town a few years ago. Or, he lives nearby, he tries a new bar every two weeks, the bar owners in that town don't actually collectively operate a "list of banned people in our area". And finally, the nasty man can easily say "you can ban me, but that does not mean I will accept your ban, I can still try to walk in, and give you abuse when you refuse to serve me". Bit like the football hooligans, they can refuse to accept any ban. His attitude is "so what, so I gave you grief a month ago, I'm here now, are you going to punch me in the face right now, I'ill give you grief (verbal abuse) even if you refuse to serve me".

The younger permanent tourists ?? They're not old enough to get a retirement visa, or, they're old enough but the pension or monthly income isn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa. Please, if you feel like it, go to the bit on ThaiVisa that is about 'getting a visa for Thailand'. There's loads of foreigners who turn up in Thailand on a tourist visa, and they go to Laos or Cambodia to get another tourist visa when the present one expires. And they do this for a whole year or whatever. I knew a few guys a few years back, they did this for two or three years continously ! There's a lot of news on there about the Thai government clamping down on these 'permanent tourists'. Throw in the guys who want to extend their time in Thailand, one option is to teach English with or without a work permit........

Thieves who target back packers have to be retarded. What do they steal? Smelly socks or dirty hair ribbons?

Are you lost every day? Backpackers are an important factor for Thailand's revenue. They don't spend as much each day as an elite tourist, but there are many more backpackers. More important than spending money, is what they contribute to Thailand. Elite tourists rarely interact with the Thai people or hill tribers, except briefly and superficially. Backpackers interact a lot, many are teachers, and it's usually beneficial for both parties. Backpackers also spend money - I'd guess an average of $45/day per person. More important is the fact that backpackers of today will be the higher income spenders of tomorrow, and they might bring spouse and kids in the future - that's if they like Thailand in their earlier visits.

Remember the first weeks after the Ko Tao double-murder in Sept. last year? ....and how in every Thai newspaper article about it, the media (and officials) would focus on how it could hamper tourism if it's mishandled? Well, it was mishandled, grossly. Farang got the memo, but Chinese didn't. That's why farang numbers are down. Chinese numbers go down whenever there are riots in Bkk - which happens every 3 yrs or so. Asians in general are more spooked by civil unrest. Farang are more spooked by criminal problems, like the Dutch backpacker who was raped at Krabi last year, and how the cops had the suspect, and then let him go because he was Thai and buddies with cops.

Thieves who target back packers have to be retarded. What do they steal? Smelly socks or dirty hair ribbons?

Are you lost every day? Backpackers are an important factor for Thailand's revenue. They don't spend as much each day as an elite tourist, but there are many more backpackers. More important than spending money, is what they contribute to Thailand. Elite tourists rarely interact with the Thai people or hill tribers, except briefly and superficially. Backpackers interact a lot, many are teachers, and it's usually beneficial for both parties. Backpackers also spend money - I'd guess an average of $45/day per person. More important is the fact that backpackers of today will be the higher income spenders of tomorrow, and they might bring spouse and kids in the future - that's if they like Thailand in their earlier visits.

Remember the first weeks after the Ko Tao double-murder in Sept. last year? ....and how in every Thai newspaper article about it, the media (and officials) would focus on how it could hamper tourism if it's mishandled? Well, it was mishandled, grossly. Farang got the memo, but Chinese didn't. That's why farang numbers are down. Chinese numbers go down whenever there are riots in Bkk - which happens every 3 yrs or so. Asians in general are more spooked by civil unrest. Farang are more spooked by criminal problems, like the Dutch backpacker who was raped at Krabi last year, and how the cops had the suspect, and then let him go because he was Thai and buddies with cops.

What do backpackers carry of any value beyond smelly socks and dirty hair ribbons?

If I was looking for cash backpackers would be number 10 on my list right under motorcycle taxi drivers.

sambum, I am happy for you that you have never (or very rarely) met any of the trouble makers that I have constantly seen ! smile.png

Yes, I've lived in Bangkok before (went to Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy twice a week, it was great, very few trouble makers there) and Pattaya as well (went to Walking Street most nights, some drunken customers there, they don't abuse staff, and they pay their bills).

The trouble-makers are most noticeable in places outside of the main tourist places. This is happening in small cities and towns all over Thailand. Ban them ? That's easier said than done. Nasty man will cause trouble, leave that bar, and then go back again a few weeks later. If a bar has changed hands, he'ill go in, they're not going to know who or what he is. Also, when he goes back to that bar in a few weeks time, if the bar hasn't got a fahlang boss, then the Thai ladies might just feel "well, what are we suppose to do, we don't want him in here, but he is still a customer". And also, in whatever town we're on about, totally new fahlang turns up, nobody has ever seen him before, and he causes a problem. Or maybe he was last in the town a few years ago. Or, he lives nearby, he tries a new bar every two weeks, the bar owners in that town don't actually collectively operate a "list of banned people in our area". And finally, the nasty man can easily say "you can ban me, but that does not mean I will accept your ban, I can still try to walk in, and give you abuse when you refuse to serve me". Bit like the football hooligans, they can refuse to accept any ban. His attitude is "so what, so I gave you grief a month ago, I'm here now, are you going to punch me in the face right now, I'ill give you grief (verbal abuse) even if you refuse to serve me".

The younger permanent tourists ?? They're not old enough to get a retirement visa, or, they're old enough but the pension or monthly income isn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa. Please, if you feel like it, go to the bit on ThaiVisa that is about 'getting a visa for Thailand'. There's loads of foreigners who turn up in Thailand on a tourist visa, and they go to Laos or Cambodia to get another tourist visa when the present one expires. And they do this for a whole year or whatever. I knew a few guys a few years back, they did this for two or three years continously ! There's a lot of news on there about the Thai government clamping down on these 'permanent tourists'. Throw in the guys who want to extend their time in Thailand, one option is to teach English with or without a work permit........

Well, no one else seems to have agreed/disagreed with what you or I say, so all I can surmise is that it is not really all that big a problem!

Flew out of Don Mueng this morning for a few days in Yangon. Place is packed with Chinese and a handful of backpackers. Apparently this is the cheaper alternative to fly to China than BKk. Bought my Dunhill wallet and zero Chinese shopping there. post-236911-14330281701094_thumb.jpg

I got a Burmese friend who works as a guide in a Burmese border town. Naturally, there's a large tourist market there. 99% of all tourists who cross over from Thailand - do so for the tourist market. My friend and I both observe groups of Chinese crossing over and back from Thailand. They go to the market, like gaggles of geese. What do they individually buy? Almost nothing of more than Bt.150 value. Most don't purchase anything at all from the hundreds of vendor stalls and restaurants.

What they do a lot of: talk loud, take photos of place name signs, and selfies.

What do backpackers carry of any value beyond smelly socks and dirty hair ribbons?

If I was looking for cash backpackers would be number 10 on my list right under motorcycle taxi drivers.

How about expensive phones, tablets, GoPros?

Okay, okay, looking at the comments from ThaiVisa people, so Thailand has got it wrong regarding encouraging Chinese tourists turning up in Thailand. So, Thailand should reduce the number of Chinese tourists ??

Okay, what are the solutions to the problem ?

How about, all the Chinese who want to have a holiday in Thailand must apply for a visa first. And basically, Thailand will reject half or two-thirds of all those visa applications. Yes, in a single swoop, the number of Chinese tourists will drop by half or two-thirds !

Another idea is, Chinese must pay an application fee of three hundred US dollars to apply, and they will get the visa. Three hundred US dollars, that's the same as almost 200 British pounds.

Yes, any one of the above two ideas will do it, create a mass drop in the number of Chinese tourists. You know, looking at how many silly comments that have been put up by people, I reckon there's a good chance that the above absurd ideas would be carried out IF Thailand's visa policy was to ever be controlled by ThaiVisa posters !! :)

Thank God it will never happen, and it's a good job that Britain and France are willing to invite the Chinese tourists to boost tourism in Europe.

Posters on this thread seem to be saying that the average Chinese tourist doesn't spend much money.

I have to politely disagree.

Perhaps 95% of the guests at my Phuket B&B are Chinese, the vast majority coming from mainland China.

They pay a low rate for my guest-room (1,000 baht in low season, 2,500 baht in high season)

They do not buy my beer, but prefer to top up their thermos with hot water for their tea and noodles.

But after they have checked out each day (airport B&B, so stay only 1 night), we have to remove many discarded packaging for top end perfumes.

These guests do not want to spend much on B&B, because it is not a 'face-enhancing' item. But they are willing to spend thousands of baht on brand-name, Western perfumes that they can take back to the village in Sichuan and 'show off' to their friends.

They do spend money here, but they spend it on tangible, hi-so products, not a transient hotel/food service that is finished when they return to China.

I found your comments illumunating. I myself witnessed a thai service employee requesting assistance from a couple of Chinese girls travelling independently to locate another Chinese traveler who had left his wallet behind a few weeks back. The 2 Chinese girls were very polite, helped by translating the various ids & cards in the wallet, and offered suggestions for tracking him down so the wallet might be returned. Smiles & quiet discussion on all sides. (And I hope the guy got his wallet back.)

But...

It's not my impression that the Chinese staying in your Guesthouse, or the 2 girls I saw, are actually quite typical of the hordes of Chinese visitors in Thailand, and am hesitant to extrapolate their well-mannered, considerate behavior. I guess you could say your extrapolations as a full-time guesthouse owner & operator are better than mine, but I would respectfully disagree based on the churlish behavior I much more frequently observe and read about.

Edited by hawker9000

They can deduct the cost of traffic jams caused by the thousands of buses used to transport the Chinese but that are parked all over Pattaya and other tourist destinations most of the time. Parts of Pattaya look like storage areas for buses nowadays. That's not what I call "high class" or "quality".

Hardly the fault of the Chinese. The bus owners, drivers, police, city officials maybe. But not the tourist.

Here's a little question for the TVF members: In all of your visits to Thailand, have you ever been subjected to a survey or questionnaire regarding your spending during your stay?

I have never divulged this information, and I have never heard of it being collected.

This begs the question of how the Tourism Ministry makes up determines these average tourist spending figures, by country of origin.

What about counting the amount of each foreign currency collected at exchange booths and withdrawals made on foreign credit cards through ATMs. Wouldn't be too hard for the banks to accumulate the figures and provide them to TAT. Not saying this is how it's done but in would not be difficult to obtain the figures.

Here's a little question for the TVF members: In all of your visits to Thailand, have you ever been subjected to a survey or questionnaire regarding your spending during your stay?

I have never divulged this information, and I have never heard of it being collected.

This begs the question of how the Tourism Ministry makes up determines these average tourist spending figures, by country of origin.

The immigration certificate has an income declaration.

Just got into Yangon today. No busses, no loud obnoxious Chinese tourist groups. Very happy to be welcomed by government and locals. Felt like this in Thailand so many years ago. People here are super friendly, they actually like westerners.

Just got into Yangon today. No busses, no loud obnoxious Chinese tourist groups. Very happy to be welcomed by government and locals. Felt like this in Thailand so many years ago. People here are super friendly, they actually like westerners.

Does that include Western Pakistan? biggrin.png

"It was supposed to be a Premier League club’s end-of-season tour to promote goodwill in the homeland of its proud Thai billionaire owners.

But three of Leicester City’s budding stars blew that apart with a vile orgy in which a local girl was racially abused soon after the team arrived in Bangkok."

Well, at least the Chinese tourists are not having vile orgies with Thai women, filming it, and hurling racial abuse !! If they did, well yes, time to contact the Chinese Embassy, and tell them that the number of their tourists in Thailand will be REDUCED !! :)

Happily, it wouldn't make any difference to me if they labelled me 'quality' or 'brill' or anything.

I will still continue to be presentable and courteous in my tourist travels, spend sensibly, and tip generously where it is deserved. Even though I'm not officially quality.

..you probably have spent over a million baht, as I do each year.. I am lucky to get a broken plastic chair to sit on at CHiang Mai immigration. Next time I will just bring my own. I suffer from arthritis of the hips and knees..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol. What in the world has that got to do with anything, even assuming visitors answer the question accurately?

Lol. What in the world has that got to do with anything, even assuming visitors answer the question accurately?

I always fill in my occupation as a rock star and I earn loads of dosh for a laugh.

Please don't tell me that's how they gauge these things? :lol:

Don Mueang at 6am the other day,and immigration was backed up out the door in to the departures area. Chinese tour groups made up the majority of foreigners. The ratio of Chinese looking tourists to western looking tourists must have been fifty to one.

Majority of International flights through Don Mueng are Asian, it is a horrendous place to suffer these days

Why on earth do non-Asians come here?

Who are enforcing them?

This is quality?

Was chatting to some youngish monks yesterday in a certain wat.

A couple of what we thought were Chinese went nearby on a motorcy.

What do you think of the Chinese? I asked.

All of them made faces and one gave the thumbs down.

But you're supposed toe extend compassion to all beings I said with a smile.

They grinned.

One of them said, pointing at his friend with a grin

."Lao no good too"

(The friend monk was Lao.....)