Coffee shops.

Spaniel

I'm hardly a coffee expert but I do like to have a coffee with my wife a couple times a week. If we are driving we like to stop at the Cafe Amazon Coffee shops located in the Thai Oil service stations although I have noticed they now have some stand alone shops too. Decent, inexpensive coffee. I usually order the iced cappichino (sic) for B55, about half the price at Starbucks and Coffee World. What's your favorite?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, iced coffee isn't decent coffee.

Only pure coffee without sugar or milk let you judge the real quality. With enough sugar, milk and cold everything tastes good.....

The Coffee Club is now in Thailand, a very good Aussie coffee franchise, not cheap but in my humble opinion miles better than Starbucks.

Love the range of iced drinks that resemble coffee and tea yet far from coffee and tea but seldom drink due to waistline expansion since there just full off sugar.

In Au an iced coffee is just a long black with a scoop of ice cream.

The Coffee Club is now in Thailand, a very good Aussie coffee franchise, not cheap but in my humble opinion miles better than Starbucks.

Love the range of iced drinks that resemble coffee and tea yet far from coffee and tea but seldom drink due to waistline expansion since there just full off sugar.

Since Starbucks made these problems for that "Star-bung" Muslim with the cart that sold coffee I don't give them 1 Baht.

If you're ever in Kanchanaburi, try 10 O'Clock. It's located on the main tourist road parallel to the river. Probably the best coffee shop in Thailand. One owner studied in NZ for a few years, and obviously came back with a good idea of how to make good coffee, teas, and amazing desserts. I've honestly never been to anywhere that comes close to this place (although I imagine there must be others somewhere).

Unless you are looking for a straight black coffee, most of the local chains are garbage (adding too much sugar, condensed milk etc). The small stalls/cafes that have been sprouting up like mushrooms are generally garbage too.

No reason to pay more than 35bht iced, 30bht hot.

No need to frequent the big franchises, plenty of indy places to visit.

Blind Coffee in CM, on the west side of the moat center, next to the blind institute ...... decent coffee, aircon, wifi and a good cause.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Tried them once, but won't be going back there anytime soon.

Small serve for the price, & not the best tasting coffee.

In Ekkamai inside the Cinema Complex on the same level as MK Suki, there is a small coffee shop, forget the name, but great tasting and well priced.

Around Asok, I like Chu inside the Exchange tower opposite the entrance to True Fitness.

'Hom Krun' in Khlong Luang, good coffee, nice staff & atmosphere. An Americano & Latte cost 95 baht. Turn into Wat Dhammakaya and its on the right, before you reach the 'flying saucer'. Can get busy at weekends & temple events.

Black Canyon, Hua Hin Market Village ... the best coffee in town.

Coffee Club in Hua Hin is good, but location is not so good, with no/very limited parking.

Starbucks - tried it twice, shit.

I had Amazon ice cap and thought it was absolute crap. Made me actually appreciate starbucks.

In general I find Thai coffee very bad. The actual McDonald's coffee which is pretty decent in USA/Canada is horrendous in Thailand. Someone (on another forum) told me that this is because coffee grains are over roasted which makes the coffee extremely acidic and generally bad for you. Well, I certainly did notice my re-flux gets really bad after drinking most Thai coffee.

In Pattaya, Benjamit Coffee gets my vote. They roast and grind their own beans on the premises and make a very good cup of coffee. Less than Starbucks without the pretense.

Located in the alley behind the shops on the North side of Pattaya Tai near the Soi Bukhao Market. Very pleasant.

I get a great expresso for B30. This guy has his shop on the side of the road and blends two beans together, only adds carnation milk product for cooking and bakery and carnation sweet both in the red can, then ice. It taste great every time. I want to taste the coffee. Most of these coffee shops don't know how to make good coffee, unless you like it sweet, powder milk, coffee mate or other stuff they add, forget it

Make sure you find a coffee shop that use real coffee beans and grind them while you wait Then you can be sure the coffee is strong and good. And stay away from nescafe places.

Edited by balo

..Coffee Club is good ..Amazon ..OK ..Starbucks ..enough said if you like an American chain ...but my favorite for service, atmosphere, friendly staff ..who know how to make an Aussie 'flat white' in a large cup ..has to be a private shop in Market Village Hua Hin ...Burgers and Beer !! good on ya Noi and Seya ..

A friend of mine Jason owns a very successful coffee shop in Cronulla Sydney (Kefenio at the north end of the mall) He makes a great coffee. He told me that if he is travelling and cannot find a coffee shop he stops at Maccas. I have followed that advice and although the Baristas at Maccas in Thailand are average I tend to go there if I am not at home where my Delonghi looks after me. I have tried many coffee shops in Hia Hin. A few try hard but none of the main chains including Black Canyon Starbucks come close. I have not tried the coffee club here but in Australia I avoided it due to poor service and very average coffee.

I found a great coffee shop (chain) called Wawee in Chiang Mai. They used to have a shop in Pattaya also just round the corner from Walking Street entrance in Sth Pattaya Rd. The one in Chaing Mai was full of young Thais..Great ambience

In Pattaya, I agree Benjamit makes a good coffee. I buy their Vienna roast for my Viet stainless steel filtre coffee at home. I have an Americano while waiting. It's creamy, brown crema and rich taste is very good. Only 45 baht. Great friendly service too. The place is packed with Euro customers every day.

Second, Yes coffee on the sidelines of Big C Extra food court makes a decent Americano for 35 baht.

To me, Au Bon Pain and Starbucks of Thailand are overpriced and stingy with the shot servings.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Yes, if you visit Pattaya, Benjamit coffee is the place , they roast the beans themselves and make perfect cup of any coffee variant you like. I would rate them 10 out of 10 , starbucks maybe 5 , they are not even close.

www.benjamitcoffee.com/

Edited by balo