Coffee shops.

Spaniel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reading these posts.

As one would expect, there seems to be differing opinions as to what constitutes good coffee. Interestingly, ideas about what constitutes good coffee also vary from country to country, culture to culture.

Personally, as a former frequent visitor to the USA, I never in my 25-odd years visiting the USA had the experience of a good coffee. Not once. On the recommendation of American colleagues and friends, I would go to various coffee shops, including Starbucks ... "but Jim, this Starbucks really does have great coffee" .. no, they did not.

Here, in Thailand, Black Canyon and Coffee World do it for me; in Australia, I did enjoy The Coffee Club, and numerous small coffee shops across Australia. Unfortunately, I have not found a good Coffee Club here ... yet.

In Pattaya, Benjamit Coffee gets my vote. They roast and grind their own beans on the premises and make a very good cup of coffee. Less than Starbucks without the pretense.

Located in the alley behind the shops on the North side of Pattaya Tai near the Soi Bukhao Market. Very pleasant.

If your going anywhere near Soi Bukhao market you must try Benjamit !!!!

If you like it then that's the main thing.

Drink what you like, there are way too many experts in Thailand & on these forums on just about any subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be said about a great many other things as well.

Took a little getting used to, but I like the "Red Cup" instant we have at work, hot and black.

For an occasional treat I like the iced Amazon "Extra"

Coffee has no nutritional value, that may be why Thais seem to all take loaded up with cream and sugar.

Like JimHuaHin stated, there are just too many variables for what constitutes good coffee. When I was a kid, the family used a percolator, and I found the coffee, even though it was supposed to be full of inferior beans, to be pretty good. Then Starbucks came along and said "Look everyone, you've all been making coffee the wrong way. This is the right way, and if you don't drink it made this way, then you lack sophistication". So everyone took the media stance that only the new method of drinking coffee is the right way, and Starbucks, riding on their image made through advertisement, became famous.

I, like a few others, just say drink what you like. I have Nestlé's 3 in 1 coffee packs for a morning coffee and have no issue with it. I don't let someone else tell me what is "good" coffee, just like I don't let others tell me what is "good" wine. I just find something I like and stay with it. And I won't pay $3 or $5 for a cup of coffee (well, I try not to, lol). I get the "ambiance" thing, but that has nothing to do with the actual coffee. Telling someone who makes a good cup of coffee is like telling someone who makes a great meatloaf. It's all in your personal taste!

I think Starbucks took off in the U.S. because most coffee in the is "like making love in a canoe".

I like Starbucks coffee okay, but like them or not, they have been the driving force for improving (and driving up the cost of) the coffee in the U.S.

I quit trading with Starbucks a few months ago when the CEO announced he was going to encourage his employees to engage customers in race discussions.

The stock is doing great though.

When I go to a coffee shop I expect an expresso type coffee. The quality of the expresso depends on the quality of the bean, the roast, the grind, the quality and cleanliness of the machine, the quality of the milk, the temperature the milk is heated and the barista. Lets not confuse expresso with instant or filtered. Unfortunately Thailand has not yet caught up with the rest of the world in this but I have noticed an improved quality in the 6-7 years I have been coming here but nearly all are burnt or the grind is too course making it bitter. Looking forward to trying Benjmit next time I get to Pattaya and will keep searching for a decent expresso in Hua Hin.

In regards to the chain shops such as amazon, and black canyon. I think they are absolutely crap if you are trying to appreciate a good cup of coffee, but they are good for a casual sip. I'm guilty of going to Amazon even though I say its crap, can't justify paying for Starbucks all the time. Starbucks quality and beans are actually a whole lot better and do not have the burnt taste.

I enjoy going to the small roaster around Bangkok who knows how to make a good cup of coffee, cost less than Starbucks but more than Amazon.

Actually some of the cheap coffee shops in Big C use espresso machines with coffee beans now and its not bad if you want something in a hurry for 30 baht. I have only experience from Pattaya.

The best coffee in Chiang Mai cost 25 thb and is sfounded in a vey small shop on Muang Luang by the water channel close to Soi 9, cross street from Miguel;s Mexican Cafe...Runned by a nice lady and her daughter.

Nice small tables outside to watch the street scene.

Paying more than 40 thb for a coffee only make senses for the AC and the status..is that is important for you...and Starbucks, for your ego and your needs to feels in home in Chiang Mai.... Another not sense.

Edited by BKResort

The Coffee Club is now in Thailand, a very good Aussie coffee franchise, not cheap but in my humble opinion miles better than Starbucks.

Love the range of iced drinks that resemble coffee and tea yet far from coffee and tea but seldom drink due to waistline expansion since there just full off sugar.

In Au an iced coffee is just a long black with a scoop of ice cream.

Since Starbucks made these problems for that "Star-bung" Muslim with the cart that sold coffee I don't give them 1 Baht.

I'm sure they really miss you. I'm afraid to even look to see what their stock price will be tomorrow without your business. tongue.png

They have to do that. American law is such (and applies worldwide) that if they don't defend the name they've claimed they can lose it. All they have is a registered trade name and logo and they can be found to have given permission for anyone to use it if they don't stop even similar pretenders. I doubt if they wanted to go after that guy.

I don't like their coffee anyway so I don't need an excuse to not go there. Actually they pay a lot of money to buy the top grade coffee beans and then roast them very carefully so that's proof I don't have good taste.

Coffee Annan - Nakhon Sawan. Don't know if the coffee is any good but for the name only I would go there.

Whereabouts in NS? Does sound vaguely familiar but can't place it, and for the name I would like to go there too.

Someone said about the number of coffee places in Chang Mai, well NS cannot be very far behind. In recent months one opened and closed in less than two months on Soi Dawadeong, and since then three more have opened on the same Soi and on the occasions I have passed I have seen customers in one of them.

Starbux coffee ok, just way overpriced. Avoid.

I choose Miracle in CM. Consistent , many locations. 35 baht for iced, taste ok, esp expresso. Yeah, a bit long on sweet, will request no sugar tomorrow. All beans ground as you watch.

I seldom sit in a coffee shop. Cannot abide watching idiots gaze at mobile devices...what zombies. Who needs it?

Drink the brew. move on.

..Coffee Club is good ..Amazon ..OK ..Starbucks ..enough said if you like an American chain ...but my favorite for service, atmosphere, friendly staff ..who know how to make an Aussie 'flat white' in a large cup ..has to be a private shop in Market Village Hua Hin ...Burgers and Beer !! good on ya Noi and Seya ..

What do you think of the Starbucks coffee?

Pretend it is an Ozzie chain would you like it then?

Like JimHuaHin stated, there are just too many variables for what constitutes good coffee. When I was a kid, the family used a percolator, and I found the coffee, even though it was supposed to be full of inferior beans, to be pretty good. Then Starbucks came along and said "Look everyone, you've all been making coffee the wrong way. This is the right way, and if you don't drink it made this way, then you lack sophistication". So everyone took the media stance that only the new method of drinking coffee is the right way, and Starbucks, riding on their image made through advertisement, became famous.

I, like a few others, just say drink what you like. I have Nestlé's 3 in 1 coffee packs for a morning coffee and have no issue with it. I don't let someone else tell me what is "good" coffee, just like I don't let others tell me what is "good" wine. I just find something I like and stay with it. And I won't pay $3 or $5 for a cup of coffee (well, I try not to, lol). I get the "ambiance" thing, but that has nothing to do with the actual coffee. Telling someone who makes a good cup of coffee is like telling someone who makes a great meatloaf. It's all in your personal taste!

I drink the Birdy pure black in the 12 or 13 baht can depending on where you buy it.

I find it very good.

Traditional coffee for 15 baht at stall. Not at all into fancy 55 baht coffee's.

Right and often less expensive ( 10 baht ) in nearly all vegetable/fruits markets all over Thailand;

BUT ..but you must wake up early in the morning before 06 am ...tongue.png

Er, Dawvadeong Nakhon Sawan, make that five new coffee places. Been down there this morning and two more seem to have opened in the last week or so.

Also Chills (formerly the Yellow Bar) closed and being/ been emptied of fixtures and fittings.

• 2 weeks later...