Thailand’s FDA warns of danger from fake rice

webfact

Danger from fake rice warned

logo_-------wpcf_728x413-wpcf_728x413.jp

BANGKOK: -- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has instructed its officials nationwide to increase inspection on the quality of rice in the wake of the discovery of fake rice allegedly made from resin in the northern province of Nan.

The move came after villagers in Phu Phiang district notified local authorities that they were lured to buy fake rice from unknown brokers for several thousand baht.

The fake rice was suspected to be imported from China as earlier fake eggs were also found.

The rice was packed in plastic bag with Chinese label on it. The villagers said the rice stayed hard after cooking and gave foul smell when they tried to burn it.

FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes.

Authorities said Thailand imported rice worth 3,000 baht only from China in 2014 for research and it was the only lot of rice Thailand legally purchased from China.

Prapon said the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry is conducting test on the fake rice.

But he personally doubted that the rice was really made of resin, pointing out that resin is actually more expensive than rice and consumption of such synthetic rice is dangerous.

He believed the rice was produced from substandard rice making process, which is a more worrying issue for him. Prapon advised the public to purchase rice from reliable sources.

Meanwhile, officials from the Internal Trade Department said it is coordinating with concerned agencies in seeking solutions to the fake rice problem.

The officials advised people who mistakenly buy fake rice to report the incident to the Office of the Consumer Protection Board.

They said selling fake rice are considered offending Article 271 of the Criminal Code and the Consumer Protection Act.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/danger-from-fake-rice-warned

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-28

>>He believed the rice was produced from substandard rice making process, which is a more worrying issue for him. Prapon advised the public to purchase rice from reliable sources.<< Quote

Reliable sources............Like from the governments warehouses, substandard and rat infested !!

Thailand the hub of fakes.................coffee1.gif

If government is concerned about rice quality, why not they brand and pack good quality rice for reasonable price and sell through big-c, lotus or Tops etc ? If success they can market in the international market too where people like to buy and eat Thai rice.

Instead of blaming the previous governments for rice scams, they can do efficient rice marketing, so that middle man will be avoided and formers will get right price ?

At the moment very good "Home Mali" rice sold in the market are not less than 35-40 per KG. I am sure formers will get good price direct retail from government.

>>FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes.

What do they mean cornflakes from rice ? blink.png

ok ok so he meant to say Rice Crispies - stop going on about it, probably lost in translation somewhere, if the report had said cereal then no confusion, it matters not either way, I understood exactly what was meant without all these nonsense posts

>>FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes.

ok ok so he meant to say Rice Crispies - stop going on about it, probably lost in translation somewhere, if the report had said cereal then no confusion, it matters not either way, I understood exactly what was meant without all these nonsense posts

Don't forget rice popsicles :)

"corn flakes" is a generic referring to general cold breakfast cereals, just FYI

" FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes."

say whaaaaaaaaaaaat? thailand imports rice ?

i am sure there will be crooks with no morals that will buy this cheap fake rice & distribute it ...

don't understand the part where the people tried to burn the rice ... good they found out ...

death sentence for all involved...this is a public health danger and who comes up with these scams ?

China, Thailand's new preferred partner in development and trade. Happy now? Wait until you starts getting your infant formula from them. China is an utterly amoral country. They'll do anything for profit. BTW, importing rice into Thailand? Isn't that like taking coals to Newcastle?

Edited by zydeco

If government is concerned about rice quality, why not they brand and pack good quality rice for reasonable price and sell through big-c, lotus or Tops etc ? If success they can market in the international market too where people like to buy and eat Thai rice.

Instead of blaming the previous governments for rice scams, they can do efficient rice marketing, so that middle man will be avoided and formers will get right price ?

At the moment very good "Home Mali" rice sold in the market are not less than 35-40 per KG. I am sure formers will get good price direct retail from government.

funny idea, you want to replace the middleman with the Govt. the fattest middleman and scimmer scammers...Rice is a world commodity price determined by the market. ... farmers should organize their own co-ops and branding... but that is another topic. Fake rice? maybe plasitcs waste? yum.

"all these nonsense posts" Indeed - yours is post no 6 on this thread, so there can't be all that many regarding "cornflakes from rice"!

FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes.

So on top of fake rice, there is also FAKE Corn Flakes and the FDA knows about this? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Other than some basmati from India or other specialty use rice which could all only be brought

in on an extremely limited basis because Thais think there rice is the very best so why would

you even try anything else. Coals to Newcastle- sand to the beach comes to mind. This fake

plastic rice can't really be a concern can it? blink.png

"Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes."

This man is the FDA secretary-general. Jesus wept!

If not a typo, or mistranslation then my nomination for dumbass of the decade award

"corn flakes" is a generic referring to general cold breakfast cereals, just FYI

Rice is rice, corn is corn...are you stupid????

China, Thailand's new preferred partner in development and trade. Happy now? Wait until you starts getting your infant formula from them. China is an utterly amoral country. They'll do anything for profit. BTW, importing rice into Thailand? Isn't that like taking coals to Newcastle?

No, it is like selling ice to Eskimos!

the chinese great partner for thailand, 75% of all chinese millionaire have left. wonder why- poor air,poor food,poor environment high cancer rates. do you know the milk formula laws china has imposed on hong kong just to get the mainland chinese to buy local baby formula, 65000USD fine 2 years in jail if you import more than 1.8 kilos of baby formula.rules like that will be coming to Thailand soon ,

the chinese great partner for thailand, 75% of all chinese millionaire have left. wonder why- poor air,poor food,poor environment high cancer rates. do you know the milk formula laws china has imposed on hong kong just to get the mainland chinese to buy local baby formula, 65000USD fine 2 years in jail if you import more than 1.8 kilos of baby formula.rules like that will be coming to Thailand soon ,

So the cerials I had this morning are the reason that I've been on the toilet shitting all day long !!!

Didn't eat real corn but Thai corn flakes made from rice !!!

Fake women, fake tits, fake designer bags, fake watches, fake sunglasses, fake eggs, fake rice.....

Is there any thing left that is genuine in this country?

Wow, thanks loads, WillyUmiii. I can't deny that I'm stupid as you so kindly point out, but as stupid as I am, I do know that when Thai folks and Japanese folks say "corn flakes" they generally mean any cold breakfast cereal, including Raisin Bran and Fruit Loops and Cocoa Puffs, etc. They just use "corn flakes" as a generic term, probably because that was the only breakfast cereal marketed 30 years ago, and there isn't much of a custom of eating breakfast cereals, certainly not like cereal-crazed North America.

Just like when Thai folks say

กินข้าว kin khaaw

they don't actually mean rice, they just say "rice" to mean food in general. This fact may have escaped you.

I guess by your logic, Thai and Japanese folks are all stupid, too. You should continue pointing out how stupid people are when you haven't a clue what you're talking about, it makes you look the genius you clearly are.

.......the villagers were lured into buying the rice.....

Guess how. Yes, the cost per bag offered by the peddlars was so low as to trigger a rush of locals to buy it for resale at a profit. Greed, it's what keeps the peddlars in business.

Wow, thanks loads, WillyUmiii. I can't deny that I'm stupid as you so kindly point out, but as stupid as I am, I do know that when Thai folks and Japanese folks say "corn flakes" they generally mean any cold breakfast cereal, including Raisin Bran and Fruit Loops and Cocoa Puffs, etc. They just use "corn flakes" as a generic term, probably because that was the only breakfast cereal marketed 30 years ago, and there isn't much of a custom of eating breakfast cereals, certainly not like cereal-crazed North America.

Just like when Thai folks say

กินข้าว kin khaaw

they don't actually mean rice, they just say "rice" to mean food in general. This fact may have escaped you.

I guess by your logic, Thai and Japanese folks are all stupid, too. You should continue pointing out how stupid people are when you haven't a clue what you're talking about, it makes you look the genius you clearly are.

Cold breakfast cereals eaten with...milk? Seriously? Edited by BudRight

"Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes."

This man is the FDA secretary-general. Jesus wept!

Believe me, Thai FDA is only a total corrupt mafia organisation with no clue about food nor food hygiene ..... but we have to deal with them.

Fake-cornflakes made-in-Thailand !!!!

Pls keep up wai2.gif

"FDA secretary-general Prapon Angtrakul said that most imported rice come from Vietnam and Australia and they are used to produce corn flakes." cheesy.gif Anyone have video of how they perform this trick??? Maybe it's on youtube! rolleyes.gif