UEFA have asked Sepp Blatter to resign

steven100

UEFA has confirmed that it has requested Sepp Blatter to step down amid corruption allegations that are extensive within FIFA.

Sepp Blatter has been at the helm for 17 years and now that it appears corruption is endemic within FIFA it is time for him to go.

Sepp Blatter has refused a personal plea from Uefa's Michel Platini to quit as Fifa president, according to reports.

The embattled Fifa president is facing for his future after the latest corruption scandal to hit world football's governing body.

Blatter, 79, is seeking a fifth term in office as he prepares to go head to head with Prince Ali Bin al Hussein of Jordan in Fifa's presidential election on Friday.

Though Blatter may be unpopular with Uefa, he is positively deified by many of the African and Asia countries.

A good illustration of this comes from Guinea-Bissau FA president Manuel Nascimento Lopes who said today that it was "blasphemy" to blame Blatter for the conduct of others.

"I'm a Christian and this is blasphemy," Nascimento Lopes told Inside World Football.

"It's a state conspiracy. People are always trying to knock Blatter. Africa will vote for Mr Blatter and I will follow that. I agree at some point there has to be change but let Blatter finish his mandate and see what he does.

"It's not all about the major European football countries. If you point three fingers at someone, there is always one you point at yourself. Tomorrow we are going to vote for Blatter. How do we know anyone else would be any better?

"I am one of the most anti-corruption people you could meet. No-one can bribe me. Blatter had a team and if the team is not perfect, why should the leadership suffer? Secondly this has nothing to do with Africa."