PM says he staged the May 22 coup for the sake of the country's peace

webfact

Always interesting that its the falang PT/Red shirt corrupt mob on TV who hate the general, but not surprising.

If you are a spokesperson for the elite, I think we plebs can relax................coffee1.gif

Were the Shins from the elite ??.... He invented that Outrageous expensive Elite card for foreigners. He mixed with the elite is society.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your overheated rhetoric:

"masses of weapons"

"at least one group got caught"

...oh yeah, the hothead on Facebook; there's your evidence of an insurrection.

I guess you didn't read the Bloomberg article closely. Apropos of the topic of this thread, I quote:

"Never mind that no one outside the army chiefs who grabbed power Thursday can explain why a coup was even necessary."

That is still true today.

If you followed the news just after the coup, you would have read about weapons caches being found almost every week. Here's a pic of one such cache. They use the term "huge".

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Huge-cache-of-seized-weapons-revealed-30237404.html

He did not reveal the source of the weapons but said an investigation was under way.

However the junta has already linked the war weapons to fugitive Jakrapob Penkair, a former spokesman for the Thaksin Shinawatra government.

The military court issued an arrest warrant for Jakrapob and eight other people believed to be connected with the confiscated weapons, according to deputy national police chief Somyot Phumphanmuang.

30237404-01_big.jpg

Those look like military weapons. Gee, where would military weapons come from?

Maybe from a guy like this??? The army does have a relatively significant divide.

post-126581-0-87659500-1432948040_thumb.

He said part of the reason why he invited foreign experts and academics to Thailand was because he wanted to create mutual understanding about what had happened to the country and why the army had to step in.

What Drivel .they did it because his mates in PDRC we going to take the country in to a civil war , a part of a well practiced conspiracy to usurp power How can they be such barefaced liars when they sat back and let Terrorists stop an election as they knew they would get well beaten. t ,"The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

Hope this lot see Justice one day

You are so full of it,.....fact is that Thailand is relatively peaceful now and did not had political killings sins the coup, and they take on corruption for the first time ever....never have there been so much mid level or high placed people cough for there misdeeds....were in thew past they could do anything they pleased unchallenged. in full impunity...

I prefer this government than a elected government who just takes care of themselves and has complete disregard of the law and justice....and lacks any decency ...

You can like anything you want....

Regards, Off Road Pat

The problem is, autocracies almost always lead to dictators, just as much corruption, suppression of civil liberties, lack of fair and impartial hearings, no such things as jury by trial of peers, etc. When people have no say in their government, that rarely works well in the long run.

The problem is, autocracies almost always lead to dictators, just as much corruption, suppression of civil liberties, lack of fair and impartial hearings, no such things as jury by trial of peers, etc. When people have no say in their government, that rarely works well in the long run.

So which of those dire consequences are happening here, if any?

Always interesting that its the falang PT/Red shirt corrupt mob on TV who hate the general, but not surprising.

If you are a spokesperson for the elite, I think we plebs can relax................coffee1.gif

Sorry JOC, but I believe kingalfred's comment made a lot more sense than yours. whistling.gif

And I wish you junta-bashers would read Post#9 in this topic, the one regarding the rules, taking careful notice of this bit -

"Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed."

If this rule was enforced there would be very few comments on this topic.

Are you serious?

"HRW said repression in Thailand was deepening and the junta relied on censorship and arrests to resist a return to democratic rule.

"One year since the military coup, Thailand is a political dictatorship with all power in the hands of one man," Adams said.

"The date for elections continues to slide, with no certainty when they will happen. Backsliding on respect for basic rights and democratic reform seems to have no end in sight."

HRW claimed that the junta had used dictatorial power systematically to repress human rights throughout the country.

"The ruling National Council for Peace and Order led by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has prosecuted critics of military rule, banned political activity, censored the media, and tried dissidents in unfair military courts," HRW stated." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/HRW-calls-for-pressure-on-the-junta-30260764.html

Are you serious?

"HRW said repression in Thailand was deepening and the junta relied on censorship and arrests to resist a return to democratic rule.

"One year since the military coup, Thailand is a political dictatorship with all power in the hands of one man," Adams said.

"The date for elections continues to slide, with no certainty when they will happen. Backsliding on respect for basic rights and democratic reform seems to have no end in sight."

HRW claimed that the junta had used dictatorial power systematically to repress human rights throughout the country.

"The ruling National Council for Peace and Order led by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has prosecuted critics of military rule, banned political activity, censored the media, and tried dissidents in unfair military courts," HRW stated." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/HRW-calls-for-pressure-on-the-junta-30260764.html

So that's what, 2 out of 5?

Are you serious?

So that's what, 2 out of 5?

Not willing to quit while you're behind, are you?

"autocracies almost always lead to dictators"

Unchecked power in the hands of one man under article 42. Need I write more?

"just as much corruption"

I believe I've already pointed out to you Prayuth's refusal to investigate the military.

"suppression of civil liberties"

Covered in my post above.

"lack of fair and impartial hearings, no such things as jury by trial of peers"

Civilians tried in military court.

I could go on but I'm off to meet friends.

When the government does something illegal it should be dealt with in the courts, when it is incompetent it should be dealt with through elections. Elections are the starting point and periodic validations of democracy, military coups and d******ships are the antithesis of democracy. Didn't you know that?

The corruption of the military isn't as obvious to ex-pats as the corruption of the police, but it is greater and more damaging to society. It's well known to the Thai people, even though no civilian government dares investigate the military and Prayuth has made it clear the military won't be investigated while he's in charge.

So when the police, and especially the DSI, are paid stooges and refuse to act, how do matters reach a court?

Leaving aside the strawman arguments, my question was how is the people protesting against a blatantly corrupt government (who the police won't touch) destroying democracy?

The police acted. One of them had his leg blown off acting. The military didn't act until it overthrew the government.

People protesting peacefully don't destroy democracy. People using violence and intimidation to obstruct elections do.

If you think the military isn't blatantly corrupt, then I've got some wonderful investment opportunities I'd like to present to you.

Don't come the raw prawn pal. The RTP including the DSI did nothing to stop the blatant corruption of the Yingluk government. I'm glad you agree that the people were justified in protesting against a blatantly corrupt government, that it was not destroying democracy.

That was the subject of the discussion you joined. Your continued attempts to deflect to another subject don't interest me.

"I'm glad you agree that the people were justified in protesting against a blatantly corrupt government, that it was not destroying democracy."

I'm pretty sure you can read, so I assume you are intentionally misrepresenting my words. Using violence and intimidation to disrupt government and elections is not peaceful protest and certainly not supportive of democracy.

Little was done about corruption under the PTP, nothing will be done about corruption under the military government. As has been pointed out to you, Prayuth will not allow investigations of the military. He also will not allow protests of any kind against his rule.

I believe I've already pointed out to you Prayuth's refusal to investigate the military.

Dictator? yes. 1/5 Is a benevolent dictator a bad form of government compared to a corrupt democracy?

Just as much corruption? The military wasn't under investigation under the previous government, which was heavily into corruption. Just as much -BS.

Suppression of civil liberties? Yes, 2/5 But including the right of government supporters to intimidate and kill protesters without police interference.

Lack of fair and impartial hearings? Military courts were used under martial law, which has finished. Criminals from both sides now being prosecuted in civilian courts. There are more reds being prosecuted because there are more red blatant criminals who are no longer untouchable.

No such thing as jury by trial of peers? BS - that's why you tried to include it in 4.

BTW you have friends?

Dictator? yes. 1/5 Is a benevolent dictator a bad form of government compared to a corrupt democracy?

Just as much corruption? The military wasn't under investigation under the previous government, which was heavily into corruption. Just as much -BS.

Suppression of civil liberties? Yes, 2/5 But including the right of government supporters to intimidate and kill protesters without police interference.

Lack of fair and impartial hearings? Military courts were used under martial law, which has finished. Criminals from both sides now being prosecuted in civilian courts. There are more reds being prosecuted because there are more red blatant criminals who are no longer untouchable.

No such thing as jury by trial of peers? BS - that's why you tried to include it in 4.

BTW you have friends?

This reminds me of the Black Knight:

" 'Tis but a scratch."

"A scratch? Your arm's off!"

Edited by phoenixdoglover

BTW you have friends?

You conceded the D-word part and the suppression of civil liberties, but suggest a D-word that toppled an elected government and represses civil liberties is benevolent. That says quite a lot about you.

"Just as much corruption? The military wasn't under investigation under the previous government, which was heavily into corruption. Just as much -BS."

Nobody investigates the military, not even the military. http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/ Do you think because investigations are off limits it means the military is clean?

"Military courts were used under martial law, which has finished. Criminals from both sides now being prosecuted in civilian courts."

People charged with LM offenses are tried in military courts, with very little information about the charges or the trial released. The number of people charged with LM offenses has gone up dramatically, and if you check the uncensored news you'll see that an "offense" is very broadly interpreted by the military. It's a useful way to deal with opponents, and no one dares question it.

"No such thing as jury by trial of peers? BS - that's why you tried to include it in 4."

People tried in a military court are not in a trial by peers.

Yes I have friends, and I spent yesterday with Thai friends. I'm not surprised you find the concept of friends surprising.

Sorry JOC, but I believe kingalfred's comment made a lot more sense than yours. whistling.gif

And I wish you junta-bashers would read Post#9 in this topic, the one regarding the rules, taking careful notice of this bit -

"Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed."

If this rule was enforced there would be very few comments on this topic.

...and that would make you co...make you so happy, wouldn't it?!

BTW you have friends?

You conceded the D-word part and the suppression of civil liberties, but suggest a D-word that toppled an elected government and represses civil liberties is benevolent. That says quite a lot about you.

"Just as much corruption? The military wasn't under investigation under the previous government, which was heavily into corruption. Just as much -BS."

Nobody investigates the military, not even the military. http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/ Do you think because investigations are off limits it means the military is clean?

"Military courts were used under martial law, which has finished. Criminals from both sides now being prosecuted in civilian courts."

People charged with LM offenses are tried in military courts, with very little information about the charges or the trial released. The number of people charged with LM offenses has gone up dramatically, and if you check the uncensored news you'll see that an "offense" is very broadly interpreted by the military. It's a useful way to deal with opponents, and no one dares question it.

"No such thing as jury by trial of peers? BS - that's why you tried to include it in 4."

Yes I have friends, and I spent yesterday with Thai friends. I'm not surprised you find the concept of friends surprising.

did they stop trials of civilians in military courts? I thought they kept that under the "new" martial law....

He said part of the reason why he invited foreign experts and academics to Thailand was because he wanted to create mutual understanding about what had happened to the country and why the army had to step in.

What Drivel .they did it because his mates in PDRC we going to take the country in to a civil war , a part of a well practiced conspiracy to usurp power How can they be such barefaced liars when they sat back and let Terrorists stop an election as they knew they would get well beaten. t ,"The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

Hope this lot see Justice one day

So my wife, my staff, her hi-so friends, most small business owner, her rubber making friends, mostly small land owner, most of them female or elderly are all terrorists?

That country has millions of terrorists.....And if you add the red shirts half of the country are terrorists.......

If that doesn't justify a coup, what else.

No less a terrorist or terrorist supporter or terrorist sympathiser when the ignorant on here state the same about all the PTP voters in Issan ?

BTW you have friends?

did they stop trials of civilians in military courts? I thought they kept that under the "new" martial law....

"Under Article 44, four types of cases can go to the Military Court - security offences, possession of war-grade weapons, violation of junta orders and violation of lese majeste law." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Military-courts-to-allow-appeals-now-that-martial--30257643.html

"violation of junta orders" is a bit vague, but I assume it means that protests of any sort, among many other things, can be tried in military courts. LM offenses are definitely tried in military courts, and the junta has a broad definition of what constitutes an LM offense.

Edited by heybruce