Quality Tourists

swissie

According to thread In "Thailand News" the Chinese have been elevated to "Quality Tourists" (across the board). How nice ! Should the day come, when the TAT decides that tourists from countries like Zimbabwe and Eastern Timbuktu deserve the status as "Quality Tourists" (across the board), I'd be worried somewhat.

Will long nosed "Caucasians" eventually end up being classified as merely "white trash?" (also across the board?) Especially Expats? = The boys of yesterday, who needs them anymore?

- Looking at the "Visa Section", even the easiest Visa (retirement), is harder to get than a few years ago. (Additional Requirements). Should that tell us something? Some 5 years from now will there be threads running in this forum titled: "The writing was on the wall, why did we choose to ignore it ? I hope not.

Thailand managed to keep out of the (war) turmoils of the last century that engulfed the rest of the world by being the masters of "Opportunism". If that same principle should ever be applied to us "Long Nosed Boys of yesterday, that we don't need anymore", the long nosed boys from yesterday would find themselves in dire straits in no time at all in Thailand. Mostly concerning Expats, of course.

Time will tell.

Cheers.

Why are people getting so upset with Thailand's pursuit of the Chinese market?

Methinks there is a double standard at work here. Australia has been bending over backwards to attract Chinese visitors. Canada has been chasing the Chinese market for years and in my emails yesterday, Air Canada was congratulating itself over its new JV with Air China .

My takeaway is that the Chinese tourists going to the developed world countries are the quality tourists that Thailand wants. Unfortunately, Thailand is getting the lower end segment. In the developed world we would call these the junketeers, the folks who we see flying in on Thompson, JetStar, Air Asia package holidays. They are the folks one sees heading to Spain and Cyprus. In North America, they are the folks who frequent Carnival and Costa Cruise lines. Someone makes money on them, and I suppose somewhere, somehow someone is making money on these visitors to Thailand.

I think it comes down to the fact that most Chinese tourists come on a package tour and actually leave afterwards. They also spend quite a bit on their 1 week stay which makes many local businesses happy.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

I can see that. They travel in groups, easy in - easy out, typically let the guide interact so no problems.

Saw japanese groups, they kind of just shuffle around in a line and stare at stuff. They even have flags and matching hats to stay together. Some may venture off together later to a karaoke or something but they seem to nervous to get into much mischief. Also they have small penises.

Seems like a pretty easy decent hotel and restaurant bill without all the fuss you get from typical lone wolf tourists who may draw attention or cause hassles. Or lone stag types trying to mark territory or mate or piss contest.

The easy bucks in and out is what they are looking for.

Edited by fey

Regardless of your creed , class or colour.

In Thailand you are only as good as your last ATM. withdrawal .clap2.gif

At last,, No prejudice ,[ except financial ] wai2.gif

As we all know the "first world" countries all operate a policy where tourists can stay in five star hotels free of charge and expect all the local populace to smile and converse with all visitors at all times.

Should the poor tourist run out of money we will cough up to send them home or pay their medical bills or whatever....welcome to utopia!

I read the article and the quality is based on how much money they spend. European backpackers that live off 100 dollars a month are not quality in their eyes.

As for the comment about visas getting tougher to get with more requirements, really like what?

I have been here for 15+ years now and there aren't any major differences in the requirements since 2003 when they raised the money required which was nearly doubled and that caused some serious whining.

They are cracking down on people living off tourist visas for years which is justified or people using Ed visas who are not actually studying.

I read the article and the quality is based on how much money they spend.

And not by how they moan about poor treatment, how stingy they are and how many girls or boys they take back to their fan-room? I'm shocked.

Ironic isn't it?

The farang has spent ages measuring his value to the Thais by reference to his "wealth" but now, he's bitching because the Chinese are beating him at his own game.

I bet ACTUAL Western tourists don't give a toss if they're seen as "quality tourists" or not but, as usual, the grumpy, self-important Western expat needs SOMETHING to define him and make him useful, desired and . . . special.

I read the article and the quality is based on how much money they spend. European backpackers that live off 100 dollars a month are not quality in their eyes.

As for the comment about visas getting tougher to get with more requirements, really like what?

I have been here for 15+ years now and there aren't any major differences in the requirements since 2003 when they raised the money required which was nearly doubled and that caused some serious whining.

They are cracking down on people living off tourist visas for years which is justified or people using Ed visas who are not actually studying.

15 years here, and you know what is going on, unlike some here.I would realy like to ask 100 guys who are on ed visas and under 45 years old,how do they live here????? quality tourists????, as i dont know anybody who is here on an ed visa and has money, i would say maybe 10.

Edited by Bernard Flint

15 years here, and you know what is going on, unlike some here.I would realy like to ask 100 guys who are on ed visas and under 45 years old,how do they live here????? quality tourists????, as i dont know anybody who is here on an ed visa and has money, i would say maybe 10.

Plenty of younger ones around with more dough then what their fathers had. Don't even need to be 65 to retire anymore.

The days of working your life away and retiring as an old man are OVER. It's not your fathers retirement any more, though his ghost lives on in funky prejudices and his progeny if you can be so unlucky as to be one. Visa rules regarding retirement ages are antiquated and outdated.

Welcome to the internet boom, generation x and that geeky little fart who just sold an app for 500k.

Why are people getting so upset with Thailand's pursuit of the Chinese market?

Methinks there is a double standard at work here. Australia has been bending over backwards to attract Chinese visitors. Canada has been chasing the Chinese market for years and in my emails yesterday, Air Canada was congratulating itself over its new JV with Air China .

My takeaway is that the Chinese tourists going to the developed world countries are the quality tourists that Thailand wants. Unfortunately, Thailand is getting the lower end segment. In the developed world we would call these the junketeers, the folks who we see flying in on Thompson, JetStar, Air Asia package holidays. They are the folks one sees heading to Spain and Cyprus. In North America, they are the folks who frequent Carnival and Costa Cruise lines. Someone makes money on them, and I suppose somewhere, somehow someone is making money on these visitors to Thailand.

quality tourists dont usually go to 3rd world countries like thailand but come here cos they believe it to be cheap.The same as expats come to live here cos it is thought of as cheaper than back home.High end chinese go to the USA,europe,australia.

It always makes me laugh when i hear TAT are chasing high end tourists.

"Visa rules regarding retirement ages are antiquated and outdated."

I think that Thailand is very lenient saying 50 is retirement age. What about countries like Australia that won't give you a visa if you are retirement age.

"quality tourists dont usually go to 3rd world countries like thailand but come here cos they believe it to be cheap.The same as expats come to live here cos it is thought of as cheaper than back home.High end chinese go to the USA,europe,australia."

What a total load of rubbish. People come from all over the world to come to Thailand because it has something for everyone. It has beautiful weather, good food, interesting and diverse culture. High end Chinese go wherever they damn well please and don't give a toss what you think at all. I work with some extremely wealthy and powerful Chinese in Beijing and they absolutely love Thailand. Yes, they have gone to all the other countries you have mentioned but that doesn't mean they avoid Thailand, Vietnam, Phillipines, Singapore, etc.

Most middle class families can afford to travel abroad now a days and in my book they are all quality tourists.

A tourist who comes here and blows money on booze,women,ladyboys and leaves within 2-3 weeks is defined as a "quality tourist" This is the sort of crowd Thailand wishes to attract. The last thing Thailand needs is fat sexpats, who put their nose in everything and think they are the king with a 40-50k baht pension.

This is what the Chinese folks are doing, they come here, they party for 2-3 weeks, and they leave. They only bring in money, they don't vow to come here and change the system.

Edited by Lukecan

• 3 weeks later...

As we all know the "first world" countries all operate a policy where tourists can stay in five star hotels free of charge and expect all the local populace to smile and converse with all visitors at all times.

Should the poor tourist run out of money we will cough up to send them home or pay their medical bills or whatever....welcome to utopia!

Easier option , just call themselves immigrants , and they will be made welcome in the ,

UK . of course . nothing new .

Edited by elliss

Last couple of years we've travelled with the family between Thai with 90% of seating full of these newly 'quality' rated tourists. It's proved to be some of the most entertaining trips I have ever been on. The taxi driver on the way to swampy, hostesses and airline staff between BKK/HK/CNS were also extremely impressed and grateful for their business as well biggrin.png. I tend to think, the many ignorants in the west that can't wait for the great influx of newly cashed up, middle class Chinese should be careful of what they wish for.

Last couple of years we've travelled with the family between Thai with 90% of seating full of these newly 'quality' rated tourists. It's proved to be some of the most entertaining trips I have ever been on. The taxi driver on the way to swampy, hostesses and airline staff between BKK/HK/CNS were also extremely impressed and grateful for their business as well biggrin.png. I tend to think, the many ignorants in the west that can't wait for the great influx of newly cashed up, middle class Chinese should be careful of what they wish for.

Europe is very popular among chinese tourists right now. They arrive in big numbers and i didn't read or hear anything bad about them.

It must be another social layer of chinese society who can afford to travel to Europe.

As long as the euro is under 44 baht forget about the real quality tourists. We get many promotions from Malaysia and Bali right now and also Australia is in fashion. Also many Russians are there now so bad luck for the Thai.

Europe is very popular among chinese tourists right now. They arrive in big numbers and i didn't read or hear anything bad about them.

It must be another social layer of chinese society who can afford to travel to Europe.

As long as the euro is under 44 baht forget about the real quality tourists. We get many promotions from Malaysia and Bali right now and also Australia is in fashion. Also many Russians are there now so bad luck for the Thai.

When I stepped up to our seats on one leg, the air hostess just smiled, rolled her eyes and said "welcome to the jungle". Maybe there is a different level of tourist travelling to asia.

I am curious to know if the OP still lives here? If he does I suggest he leaves as he's obviously not happy here!! There is so much pent up anger and frustration in his post. Why live here if you dont like it? Yes, we are stereotyped by the locals. Just as Asians etc are stereotyped back in the Western World. The majority of people live inside their own bubble and fail to realise that their is a world beyond their own.I do feel that Westerners can be arrogant and hypocritical. Often, the same thing happens back home but maybe its happening without people realizing. For example, Thailand has corruption that keeps the average people in their place. In Europe we have a ridiculous amount of taxes, bills etc.That keeps the average person in their place too.. Corruption is wrong but over taxing people is, in my opinion, just another form of legalized extortion.

ps-- to the second post: Thailand is not a third world country.That form of classification died out about 15 years ago...

Easier option , just call themselves immigrants , and they will be made welcome in the ,

UK . of course . nothing new .

This reminds me of An English guy I met here once. He was complaining about all the immigrants in England.I asked him what did he think he was.His answer and belief was that he was an expat! Ahh I said, your an immigrant worker here.. If you work and live in a foreign country you are an immigrant.Ex Pat is a term that was used to seperate the notion of poor(often dark skinned immigrants) and affluent White people from the West. At the end of the day we are all immigrants and should show some compassion to other immigrants despite what colour their skin is...

I would prefer to be, A Chinese quality tourist in Thailand, and have respect ,same same, Money.

Much better , than being a English Teacher . Money nid noi.

having no respect from people Thai .wai2.gif kap.

PS , thank you Lord, for my index linked Pension.

Nee how, kap.wai2.gif

Edited by elliss