How do I rid my house of Skinks?

Oishii

I've searched for an answer, but can't find one on here, so, can anyone help me?

I've got a couple of skinks that regularly visit the house. I don't mind them really, as they keep the insect population down. They seem quite friendly, or very brave, as they often sit by my feet if I'm at my desk and climb onto the sofa when I'm sitting on it.

The problem I have with them is they sh*t everywhere and unlike the geckos, they sh*t big. On the floor is fine, but they sh*t on the furniture too, so they must vacate my house or die.

Has anyone got an answer to my problem?

Thanks in advance for sensible answers, even though I know there will be others too.

If they shit on the floor it's easy to clean up. The sofa and chairs are cloth, so not so easy. If they cleaned up after themselves, like most of us humans do, then they wouldn't be a problem.

Are you sure you mean skinks and not geckos? Skinks are small and very shy of people. Geckos (actual geckos, not the little jinjoks) are big and their droppings indeed a nuisance. If they are what you mean, I too would like to know how to get rid of them. I have those humane mousetraps but no idea what bait would lure a Gecko?

They come into my house as well. I rather welcome them on the whole... and don't mind clearing up the shit.

They live on insects, and more shit presumably means more insects; which would you rather have, insects or skinks?

BTW, somebody on the Pets forum said they were called goudars.

So they really ate skinks and not Geckos....I'm offended, the skinks where I live aren't at all friendly. They're afraid of me and never ever come inside the house. (The Geckos on the other hand are brazen).

If they are as tame as the OP claims, then very easy to evict them from the house.

Over the years there have been several occasions when the odd long tailed lizard have entered the house. They`re easy to locate once inside and then I just creep up on them with a medium sized pond net, the funnel shaped types as pictured below. Quickly place the net over the lizard and then once inside the net, give it a slight twill at the bottom that entraps the reptile. Then take outside at a distance well away from the house and release them.

There are never any reasons to kill these creatures and easy to send them on their way to live another day.

post-110219-0-77063800-1432985832_thumb.

Are you sure you mean skinks and not geckos? Skinks are small and very shy of people. Geckos (actual geckos, not the little jinjoks) are big and their droppings indeed a nuisance. If they are what you mean, I too would like to know how to get rid of them. I have those humane mousetraps but no idea what bait would lure a Gecko?

Please stop capitalizing Gecko. It's giving me a persecution complex. biggrin.png

OP: I would think one or two people armed with brooms ought to be able to chase it out of the house, but will admit, sometimes easier said than done.

Edited by Gecko123

Please stop capitalizing Gecko. It's giving me a persecution complex. biggrin.png

OP: I would think one or two people armed with brooms ought to be able to chase it out of the house, but will admit, sometimes easier said than done.

Too much danger of destroying stuff and doesn't work anyway.

Still not certain what it is about.

Inside the house, most likely the small (5cm, 2 inch) buggers (chingchok).

biodiversity-128512-6.jpg

The much bigger (20 cm and more, 8 inch) freigthning "tukkae" (gecko) seldom make it in the house.

And then chasing out is urgent. Don't touch, don't be biten.

219_20130822170530..jpg

Skinks as seen in #5 never made it into the house. Very shy and loving the heat.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Still not certain what it is about.

Inside the house, most likely the small (5cm, 2 inch) buggers (chingchok).

biodiversity-128512-6.jpg

The much bigger (20 cm and more, 8 inch) freigthning "tukkae" (gecko) seldom make it in the house.

And then chasing out is urgent. Don't touch, don't be biten.

219_20130822170530..jpg

Skinks as seen in #5 never made it into the house. Very shy and loving the heat.

We have a big one in our storeroom that makes a huge racket every night calling f---- you f.... you. It's part of the environment now and I'll probably miss it if it goes away.

Skinks are very friendly which always surprises me. I had one that came into my backyard everyday at about 13:00. Must have doing its rounds. I used to feed it bits of leftover meals.I wouldnt kill them myself but you could shoo them outside or put some food in a box, trap them and release them outside. Better a friendly skink than a 100 stinging insects.

My friend has an electrified wire,around the perimeter of his house,on the exterior wall,not to much voltage,but enough to deter them.or kill them i don't know,he is on piers,so easier,but he has very few,so it seems to work.

Seems like a drastic measure to deter a few lizards,what does he do to the soi dogs machine gun them down from a birdsnest.

We have a big one in our storeroom that makes a huge racket every night calling f---- you f.... you. It's part of the environment now and I'll probably miss it if it goes away.

They are kind of lucky animals.

Don't kill them (I think is even forbidden).

Stupid Chinese pay 500 per animal.

Big luck if they do seven "tukkae" calls (from rumour) tongue.png

Never heard more than five.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My friend has an electrified wire,around the perimeter of his house,on the exterior wall,not to much voltage,but enough to deter them.or kill them i don't know,he is on piers,so easier,but he has very few,so it seems to work.

Good idea to put a shock up the cats as well coming in and crapping

Seems like a drastic measure to deter a few lizards,what does he do to the soi dogs machine gun them down from a birdsnest.

Stoney,he make liberal use of the blue powder 2 or three times a year,his soi looks like Isis for dogs has swept through afterwards,strangely the nieghbours have never seemed to clock on to it,there is one in my soi,that sometimes barks and howls all night,i have been tempted,to "go blue',but ear plugs and a few beers seem a more humane option.

"The much bigger (20 cm and more, 8 inch) freigthning "tukkae"[/size] (gecko) seldom make it in the house.

And then chasing out is urgent. Don't touch, don't be biten. "

Would that this were true. Alas where I am they ate insist on living in the house. ... and return when chased out. I can coexist with 1 gecko, maybe even 2, but it has gotten to the point where the droppings are just too much.

They are kind of lucky animals.

Don't kill them (I think is even forbidden).

Stupid Chinese pay 500 per animal.

Big luck if they do seven "tukkae" calls (from rumour) tongue.png

Never heard more than five.

Village superstition has it that 4 'calls' means an imminent death in the family!..............................................

There is an illegal reptile trade in tookaes, they are killed dried and shipped off to the Philipines where thay are medicinally. said (wrongly) to be a cure/prevention for AIDS.

I did read somewhere that there was a reward of 100K Baht for anyone who could produce one that weighed over a kilo. Although they grow to a fair size (they are the Worlds second largest gekko) I never seen one nearly that big.

As for their calls the maximum number of 'eff' you's' that I have heard is 12, usually they number 6 or 7. I think my wife counts the amount of calls to get the lottery numbers.

Have relocated many tukkae after they started making a mess at a rental house in the way past. Have a basket handy, and hit them with the garden house. As soon as the water hits the wall they lose traction and you can catch them as they fall or put the basket on top of them and then slide a sheet of plywood under it.

By the way, the tukkae trade must be one of the best urban legends in Thailand. Everyone talks about it in the villages, but no one has ever been able to sell one to a real buyer. Been asking about that for nine years and still no first hand knowledge.

post-498-0-89236900-1433152696_thumb.jpg