Property prices dropping

rocketboybkk

With comments like those LL1 I shudder to think what parts and aspects of Thailand you've been exposed to because I can't even begin to relate to them. Sure I understand there are parts of the country that would fit your description but a person who grew up in the west would have to be retarded to go and live there when there is so much much more on offer. And whilst this is not a case of calling my baby ugly, I will give you two examples:

We live thirty minutes out of Chiang Mai on the very edge of what must be one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Last week, Mrs CM did some research and found us two new places for lunch, both within twenty minutes of where we live. The first was a small resort located in the middle of one of the most breathtaking settings I've ever seen anywhere, the restaurant is sited right in the middle of a raging set of rapids/waterfall which was in full flood when we visited - lunch for the two of us was under 600 baht.

http://www.sukantara.com/

The second, three days later, was at a 6 star hotel resort built on the edge of a cliff/atop a mountain, the views and the setting were absolutely awesome. Again, lunch cost us around 500 baht and was excellent food.

http://www.panviman.com/chiangmai/gallery.html

Afterwards, on both occasions, we returned to our home and continued to work on our gardens, a rai of land that we've turned into a thing of real beauty, in a very scenic location and that gives us much pleasure and satisfaction, all of which cost me under 70k Pounds that I don't want back.

So when you write how much of a "shit hole" this place is (twice) and what a "hell hole" it is to live here, I can't relate to what you've written and only guess that you must have made some very very poor decisions somewhere along the line to have landed in an area of the country that has left you with that sort of impression.

The fact that you can afford to lose 70,000 quid just shows that you will never experience Thailand as a regular punter does.

It's like a Dr I knew back in London that liked to holiday in LOS. I thought I was in luck to have someone to talk to about the place I loved, but it didn't take long to work out that he never stayed anywhere except 5* resorts and had as much knowledge of "my" Thailand as I have of Mars.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With comments like those LL1 I shudder to think what parts and aspects of Thailand you've been exposed to because I can't even begin to relate to them. Sure I understand there are parts of the country that would fit your description but a person who grew up in the west would have to be retarded to go and live there when there is so much much more on offer. And whilst this is not a case of calling my baby ugly, I will give you two examples:

We live thirty minutes out of Chiang Mai on the very edge of what must be one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Last week, Mrs CM did some research and found us two new places for lunch, both within twenty minutes of where we live. The first was a small resort located in the middle of one of the most breathtaking settings I've ever seen anywhere, the restaurant is sited right in the middle of a raging set of rapids/waterfall which was in full flood when we visited - lunch for the two of us was under 600 baht.

The second, three days later, was at a 6 star hotel resort built on the edge of a cliff/atop a mountain, the views and the setting were absolutely awesome. Again, lunch cost us around 500 baht and was excellent food.

Afterwards, on both occasions, we returned to our home and continued to work on our gardens, a rai of land that we've turned into a thing of real beauty, in a very scenic location and that gives us much pleasure and satisfaction, all of which cost me under 70k Pounds that I don't want back.

So when you write how much of a "shit hole" this place is (twice) and what a "hell hole" it is to live here, I can't relate to what you've written and only guess that you must have made some very very poor decisions somewhere along the line to have landed in an area of the country that has left you with that sort of impression.

The fact that you can afford to lose 70,000 quid just shows that you will never experience Thailand as a regular punter does.

It's like a Dr I knew back in London that liked to holiday in LOS. I thought I was in luck to have someone to talk to about the place I loved, but it didn't take long to work out that he never stayed anywhere except 5* resorts and had as much knowledge of "my" Thailand as I have of Mars.

Don't be a moron TBL, I don't want the money back because I like the house I live in and have bequeathed the house to my wife in my Will. Of course I can't afford to loose 70k.

As for never experiencing Thailand as a regular punter: I live in a house that cost me 3.5 mill baht amidst working class Thai people, we shop at Thai markets and for the most part I eat at Thai food joints, if that's not the every persons Thailand I don't know what is!

But when I don't eat at Thai food joints and I eat lunch at 6 star hotels like the one above, it costs us 600 baht, not 2k baht, this because I choose carefully and do some research beforehand, as I try to do with most things in my life.

Edited by chiang mai

I don't think even Panviman would claim to be a 6* property. They claim 5*. But others suggest between 4* to 4.5*.

There was really no need to utilise hyperbole. Thailand is a beautiful country. The problem lies with the people who nakedly exploit the resources without a care.

Yours sounds a pleasant existence. Really no need to exaggerate.

I don't think even Panviman would claim to be a 6* property. They claim 5*. But others suggest between 4* to 4.5*.

There was really no need to utilise hyperbole. Thailand is a beautiful country. The problem lies with the people who nakedly exploit the resources without a care.

Yours sounds a pleasant existence. Really no need to exaggerate.

There's no hyperbole there. I've seen many many attractive views and locations worldwide, the two places I mention above rival all but the top 1%, unless you've actually seen it it's hard to judge. And whether or not Panviman is 5 or 6 star, I'm not sure, most hotels in the luxury hotels of the world tend to be 5 and up but slightly pedantic to argue which, given the nature of the topic! http://www.panviman.com/chiangmai/awarde.html

So, onto the part of your post that deals with people who exploit resources without care, can you be a little more specific since the words can be taken different ways.

I don't mean to belittle my fellow expat but it has to be said that Thailand doesn't always attract the smartest, the lure of a cheap destination (and all that entails) is often too much for the Brit with his UK house sale proceeds in his pocket and his new Ms. Right on his arm! Combine that with a condo market that is absolutely flooded with small cheap condo's/apartments and there's a percentage of buyers who are bound to have problems, statistically it's a given - those same people would however have similar problems, no matter which country they were in.

But for the half way thinking person who puts in some time and effort to research their condo. options, there's plenty of very safe and potentially lucrative long term opportunities out there that don't involve drama's or letters to the TVF lawyer. Sadly however this forum rarely his from the majority in this expat category, simply what would they wrte about: "I've been in my condo for four years now and I love it, it's a great location and the management here is superb, the unit has even increased in value by x%" - not exactly newsworthy and it'll never earn clicks or sell copies!

I guess you are the smart expat and all those people who had problems were dummies. A bit condescending don't you think?

You can do all the research in the world but sometimes that isn't enough especially in a country where the rules are stacked against you.

All up it is easier to rent really and keep a house in your home country as a bolthole.

Agreed. Plus Thais are ripped off way more by their own than the farangs are. Edited by huawei

Don't be a moron TBL, I don't want the money back because I like the house I live in and have bequeathed the house to my wife in my Will. Of course I can't afford to loose 70k.

As for never experiencing Thailand as a regular punter: I live in a house that cost me 3.5 mill baht amidst working class Thai people, we shop at Thai markets and for the most part I eat at Thai food joints, if that's not the every persons Thailand I don't know what is!

But when I don't eat at Thai food joints and I eat lunch at 6 star hotels like the one above, it costs us 600 baht, not 2k baht, this because I choose carefully and do some research beforehand, as I try to do with most things in my life.

It's not. They want the families that come here for 3 week holidays spend as much as most retirees do in a year but then leave.

It's not. They want the families that come here for 3 week holidays spend as much as most retirees do in a year but then leave.

I understand what your saying,

But your time and figures are not correct

It costs a retired person a lot more in Thailand than your average family on holiday here will spend in the Thai economy.

But correct, we are not wanted so much now days. sad.png

Edited by onemorechang

I understand what your saying,

But your time and figures are not correct

It costs a retired person a lot more in Thailand than your average family on holiday here will spend in the Thai economy.

But correct, we are not wanted so much now days. sad.png

I have a Russian family rent my condo (3 bed) for 5 weeks 150k . With spends etc they must spend 250k+.There isn't much in it really. When there are many living on close to say 30k per month, but you are probably right.

I agree that we are less wanted..too many of us..but I think so many overstate the impact they also have on the economy and how much the Thais should appreciate them. It is what it is..

I think Chiangmai stated " exactly what the Thais want".. No they just don't really want us regardless now..before yes..now no.