Kanchanaburi police chief confirms British tourist raped

Thaivisa News

Kanchanaburi:- Kanchanaburi Police chief Pol Maj Gen Kamolsanti Klunbutr has confirmed that a British tourist was raped in the province last week.

Kamolsanti said the 19-year-old tourist had left the country and two Thai teenagers had been arrested for having allegedly raped her.

The Kanchanaburi chief added that he was not allowed to hold a press conference to announce the arrest for fear that the case would affect tourism of Kanchanaburi and would also further hurt the victim.

Kamolsanti confirmed the incident when he talked to a group of reporters at the Kanchanburi Police head office on Friday.

He admitted that Pol Lt Gen Wirapong Chuenphakdee, commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 7 which is in charge of Kanchanaburi and other provinces nearby, held a meeting of senior Kanchanaburi officers on Thursday because of the rape.

Kamolsanti said police had checked feeds from security cameras in the area and arrested the two suspects. He said the two suspects had admitted that they had raped the tourist. He declined to name the suspects.

Earlier, Khaosod reported that a British teenage girl, who visited the province with a group of tourists and stayed at a well-known resort, had been raped after she was drunk and was walking alone in front of a restaurant on the Nanachart Road at 1:30 am.

Khaosod said the girl and her group of tourists when to dine at the restaurant late Monday night.

The two Thai teenage boys talked to the British girl and took her away on their motorcycle. The girl was later left at a market in Mueang district after she was raped her and robbed of some valuables.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kanchanaburi chief added that he was not allowed to hold a press conference to announce the arrest for fear that the case would affect tourism of Kanchanaburi and would also further hurt the victim.

The two Thai teenage boys talked to the British girl and took her away on their motorcycle. The girl was later left at a market in Mueang district after she was raped her and robbed of some valuables.

"Took her away against her will", or "kidnapped her" would be a much better wording.

What a bunch of crap. This country's hiding too many things. Why would the arrest hurt the victim? Gosshh..

Edited by lostinisaan

"Took her away against her will", or "kidnapped her" would be a much better wording.

What a bunch of crap. This country's hiding too many things. Why would the arrest hurt the victim? Gosshh..

Agree completely , the comment about harming Tourism hit a nerve , they don't a toss about anything except money. They need to change their ways. especially with Tourism or one day it will bite them in the arse

Hmm, he announces that he would not hold a press conference due to the potential damage to tourism, yet he makes this statement at a, wait for it, a press conference with reporters...

Agree completely , the comment about harming Tourism hit a nerve , they don't a toss about anything except money. They need to change their ways. especially with Tourism or one day it will bite them in the arse

Quite a lot of tourists in the north of Thailand, Mae Hong Son province and of course at places like Ko Panghan die overdosed. But you seldom hear what happened to them. They usually had a heart attack, committed suicide, or other nonsense.

Why do I see a similarity to the Thai educational system?

Everything that's bad for Thailand's reputation is swept under the carpet. Would they for example warn tourists that the heroin in the north of Thailand is much stronger than the stuff they get back in their home countries, it may save some peoples' lives.

But no, there's no drug abuse in Thailand, because the police and the Army have everything under control. Wait, the lottery prices might go down to the amount that's printed on them. Thumbs up. thumbsup.gif

Not too long ago we could hear a statement from the # one dude, that foreigners who wear little bikinis at beaches would basically "create" rapists.

Edited by lostinisaan

The Kanchanaburi chief added that he was not allowed to hold a press conference to announce the arrest for fear that the case would affect tourism of Kanchanaburi ....

Sounds to me like he's not pleased with the surreptitiousness, and wants everyone to know.

Either that, or he's amazingly stupid and big-mouthed.

Just shows how they are depending on Tourism and its being drummed into them not to do anything to upset it.. Most People wouldn't naturally think "I better not tell anyone about arresting 2 rapists because it may affect Tourism" I find the fact that they have and obviously do This. sinister and very devious

The Kanchanaburi chief added that he was not allowed to hold a press conference to announce the arrest for fear that the case would affect tourism of Kanchanaburi ....

Sounds to me like he's not pleased with the surreptitiousness, and wants everyone to know.

Either that, or he's amazingly stupid and big-mouthed.

Officer Dibble ?

Bet'cha didn't read about the 2014 measles outbreak at Disneyland, either.

Given the millions of livelihoods at at stake, it's understandable that they don't go out of their way to publicize rapes, murders, traffic fatalities, etc. It's a question of balancing the costs and benefits, and they've made their choice.

I just wish there was some way for us to track what actually happens to the perpetrators after the legal system does what it does. We always read about arrests, but only rarely read about the outcome. I suspect that's another cost/benefit choice they've made.

Agree entirely with you mate...but I've been waiting over 3 decades for them to change some of their way with regards to tourism...or it will bite them in the arse....hasn't happened yet and I can't see any light up the end of the tunnel. They can do what the bloody well like and the tourists keep on rolling in. When foreign media focuses on these matters, the Thais merely drop that country and crank up tourism campaigns with another country. Today it's China. In time the Chinese will tire of being cheated and beaten by Thai thugs, the word will spread and numbers drop. But rather than address these ills the Thais will just target another country.

.....or one day it will bite them in the arse??

That day have come already, i have many friends that have said they will not come back to holiday in Thailand...

they will try out other Asian countries

Thats because it was only reported BBC, CNN, FOX...

Yeah, probably a bad example.

When I lived near Disneyland in the '90s and several of my friends and their family members worked there, they used to come home with horror stories that never made it into the news. They preferred to handle it all discreetly and internally. Kind of like Thailand...

Edited by impulse

Just shows how they are depending on Tourism and its being drummed into them not to do anything to upset it.. Most People wouldn't naturally think "I better not tell anyone about arresting 2 rapists because it may affect Tourism" I find the fact that they have and obviously do This. sinister and very devious

Twenty years ago a Thai neighbour told me of the many cases of rape here and that they were hidden to protect tourism. Nothing new here.

Thats because it was only reported BBC, CNN, FOX...

Yeah, probably a bad example.

When I lived near Disneyland in the '90s and several of my friends and their family members worked there, they used to come home with horror stories that never made it into the news. They preferred to handle it all discreetly and internally. Kind of like Thailand...

But I'm guessing reported cases of rape are generally dealt with and have consequences. NOT kind of like Thailand.

Kanchanaburi police chief tells entertainment venues, guides to care drunk tourists
The Nation

Kanchanaburi Pol Maj Gen Kamolsanti Klubutr Sunday told entertainment venue operators and tourist guides to take special care of tourists who appeared drunk following a report that a 19-year-old Britist tourist was raped last week while she was drunk.

Kamolsanti said anyone, who spot a drunk female tourist, can call 191 and 1155 to alert police to take the tourist to her hotel.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Kanchanaburi-police-chief-tells-entertainment-venu-30261319.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-31

Quite a lot of tourists in the north of Thailand, Mae Hong Son province and of course at places like Ko Panghan die overdosed. But you seldom hear what happened to them. They usually had a heart attack, committed suicide, or other nonsense.

Everything that's bad for Thailand's reputation is swept under the carpet. Would they for example warn tourists that the heroin in the north of Thailand is much stronger than the stuff they get back in their home countries, it may save some peoples' lives.

But no, there's no drug abuse in Thailand, because the police and the Army have everything under control. Wait, the lottery prices might go down to the amount that's printed on them. Thumbs up. thumbsup.gif

Not too long ago we could hear a statement from the # one dude, that foreigners who wear little bikinis at beaches would basically "create" rapists.

Some people post such bizarre nonsense.

"Quite a lot of tourists in the north of Thailand, Mae Hong Son province and of course at places like Ko Panghan die overdosed. But you seldom hear what happened to them. They usually had a heart attack, committed suicide, or other nonsense."

How do you know that if the deaths are reported as you state? You're not scaremongering, are you?

" Why do I see a similarity to the Thai educational system?"

Why do you consider there to be an analogy between this rape and the education system.

"But no, there's no drug abuse in Thailand, because the police and the Army have everything under control."

The tone of your remark seems to suggest that authorities are claiming that there are no drug problems. They are not.

"Not too long ago we could hear a statement from the # one dude, that foreigners who wear little bikinis at beaches would basically "create" rapists."

I guarantee that you cannot provide a link to that or anything else that would confirm that that was what was actually said.

"Bunch of crap", "don't give a toss", "stupid big-mouthed" police chief, etc. I think those descriptions used by posters in this thread actually apply to the authors of those posts. Did no-one notice that the police have arrested 2 alleged rapists? Of course they did but why not ignore the positive side of this incident in order to have a bash, eh?

Kanchanaburi police chief tells entertainment venues, guides to care drunk tourists

The Nation

Kanchanaburi Pol Maj Gen Kamolsanti Klubutr Sunday told entertainment venue operators and tourist guides to take special care of tourists who appeared drunk following a report that a 19-year-old Britist tourist was raped last week while she was drunk.

Kamolsanti said anyone, who spot a drunk female tourist, can call 191 and 1155 to alert police to take the tourist to her hotel.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Kanchanaburi-police-chief-tells-entertainment-venu-30261319.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-05-31

Better late than never.

Not a good country for back-packers, & young travellers..word WILL spread, then maybe the only tourists here will be part of organised tours who only go out of their hotel as a group...with tourist police as an extra measure...?

"Bunch of crap", "don't give a toss", "stupid big-mouthed" police chief, etc. I think those descriptions used by posters in this thread actually apply to the authors of those posts. Did no-one notice that the police have arrested 2 alleged rapists? Of course they did but why not ignore the positive side of this incident in order to have a bash, eh?

I think we'd have a little more confidence if they actually published the names of the suspects. And whether they're out on bail.

I can see where a skeptical person would believe they announced fictitious arrests to assure their cash cows that it's all clear and you don't have to check out of your hotel. We got the bad guys. Really, we do. But we're not going to name them.

Later it would be nice to hear how their cases proceed, and what punishment they did or didn't receive. But we never seem to get that.

And if we knew they wouldn't commute the long sentences and release the guys to do it again, after a show trial and the media attention dies down, that would be reassuring, too.

Edited by impulse

This will probably get some people upset, but IMO it needs to be said....

A drunk 19 year old girl walking on her own at midnight in a foreign country is an invitation for trouble. This could have happened anywhere in the world - it is not a Thailand specific problem. Why should Thailand's tourism suffer because one naive young female tourist acted stupidly.

A drunk 19 year old girl walking on her own at midnight in a foreign country is an invitation for trouble. This could have happened anywhere in the world - it is not a Thailand specific problem. Why should Thailand's tourism suffer because one naive young female tourist acted stupidly.

Here's the thread where you can really get into it with that position.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/828830-british-tourist-reportedly-raped-in-kanchanaburi/

Good luck, though. I'd suggest you read the thread before posting. Then decide if you really want to. It's pretty much a dead horse by now.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/828830-british-tourist-reportedly-raped-in-kanchanaburi/

Good luck, though. I'd suggest you read the thread before posting. Then decide if you really want to. It's pretty much a dead horse by now.

LOL. Thanks but no thanks. I've said my piece - I only came here for the news.

LOL. Thanks but no thanks. I've said my piece - I only came here for the news.

A wise man...

Some people post such bizarre nonsense.

"Quite a lot of tourists in the north of Thailand, Mae Hong Son province and of course at places like Ko Panghan die overdosed. But you seldom hear what happened to them. They usually had a heart attack, committed suicide, or other nonsense."

How do you know that if the deaths are reported as you state? You're not scaremongering, are you?

" Why do I see a similarity to the Thai educational system?"

Why do you consider there to be an analogy between this rape and the education system.

"But no, there's no drug abuse in Thailand, because the police and the Army have everything under control."

The tone of your remark seems to suggest that authorities are claiming that there are no drug problems. They are not.

"Not too long ago we could hear a statement from the # one dude, that foreigners who wear little bikinis at beaches would basically "create" rapists."

I guarantee that you cannot provide a link to that or anything else that would confirm that that was what was actually said.

When I stayed in Pai the first time in 2003, three foreigners died through an overdose of heroin, bought on the way to the waterfall.

I could even show you photos of the place where they bought it. Was there anything about drug abuse in the news? Nothing.

Last time in summer 2013, a foreigner died overdosed at the waterfall, the needle still in his vein. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much information about his death only that he died after a motorcycle crash.

Please Google Ko Phangan, here’s a link and at least three pages aren’t working, big brother’s watching you….

Please try: https://www.google.co.th/search?

espv=2&q=drug+deaths+on+koh+phangan+thailand&oq=drug+deaths+on+Ko+Panghan+Thailand&gs_l=serp.1.0.30i10.18329.34400.0.36045.37.34.1.2.2.0.145.3585.4j28.32.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..6.31.3171.0.6h85nWr5nL8

The similarity to the educational system is obvious.

Would all parents know what happens to their kids at school, kids who got beaten with a bamboo stick on daily basis, money from the parents, urgently needed for new computers, but used for vacations for some special educators, etc., many of them would take their kids out of that school.

But here’s the same cover up. It’s a “World Class Standard School” with the best Thai and foreign teachers. They only tell parents what they’d like to hear, but never the truth.

There’s an Indian teacher at my former school who got caught twice on the bathroom with an 11 year old girl, within a year. The first time, the director thought it was only gossip, a few months later, it happened again. I know some details, because I had to write his letter of dismissal.

Neither the cops, nor the parents were informed. Such things can’t happen at such a school, if you know what I mean and they made it in a way that nothing happened. The Indian guy then opened an orphanage in the same city.

So you’ve never heard that they made statements that the drug trade would stop within six months, or similar? Are you really living in the same country?

The # one dude made such a statement that went around the whole world, but he later changed his statement, because there’s too much international; pressure.

I could post endless links, if the Thai press wouldn’t be so generous, but please see:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/18/thailand-murders-pm-says-only-ugly-girls-will-be-safe-in-bikinis-4873410/

The pair, pictured below, were found dead on a beach at the resort of Koh Tao on Monday.

‘There are always problems with tourist safety,’ Gen Prayuth said. ‘They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want – they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere.

‘Can they be safe in bikinis… unless they are not beautiful?’

His remarks were met with outrage.

What a patronising statement by the police........Kanchanaburi has had a reputation for being a police fiefdom for decades......aand now they openly admit they were worried , not so much about the victim, but about their own incomes.....

Edited by cumgranosalum