How about if IHOP, Denny's, Fuddruckers, Chili's came to LOS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a curious move... I'd imagine, PTT certainly has the resources to expand the Texas/Church's chicken franchise in Thailand.

But, what exactly are they going to offer that's going to win over Thais who currently eat KFC -- a LOT!

I'd note, the Taiwan fried chicken place that recently opened in EmQuartier had crazy huge long lines when it first opened and everyone Thai) was talking about that place. But now a few months later, you walk past there and there's no line at all.

Same thing happened with the arrival of Krispy Kreme in Thailand. But if you look around the country, Thailand is still awash in crappy Mister Donut and Dunkin' Donut outlets. And Krispy Kreme has, according to their Thailand website, only about 16 mall locations all located entirely around Bangkok.

About Krispy Kreme (KK). They opened in Bangkok in 2012. I was in Bangkok at that time and saw it all happening, w/ the long lines. KK has been successful. The fact that they are now in 16 mall locations testifies to KK's success. I am not sure how they would do in the hinterlands, but KK would likely be successful in Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. They are smart not to expand too much.

About Denny's. I think there is a strong niche for Denny's, but mostly likely only in Bangkok and Pattaya. Thais w/ money are willing to try different foods, which has already been demonstrated by KFC, Starbucks, Pizza Company, Sizzler, La Monita, etc. Farangs, of course, will flock to Denny's w/ money in hand, salivating all the way.

About Church's and Popeye's: Popeye's is already here; it is at the Swamp airport in the international lounge, so the only way to get it is to by an international ticket! Maybe they will expand. I love Church's chicken; I also love Popeye's chicken, both of which are, IMHO, way better than KFC. I think Thais will try and like both of these chicken places, especially given that they are "similar" to KFC in some ways, but much, much better. I doubt that all of the Church's chicken places will be located at PTT filling stations; some will almost certainly be in local malls.

did they get a similar contract as Amazon Coffee

I think it's a curious move... I'd imagine, PTT certainly has the resources to expand the Texas/Church's chicken franchise in Thailand.

But, what exactly are they going to offer that's going to win over Thais who currently eat KFC -- a LOT!

I'd note, the Taiwan fried chicken place that recently opened in EmQuartier had crazy huge long lines when it first opened and everyone Thai) was talking about that place. But now a few months later, you walk past there and there's no line at all.

Same thing happened with the arrival of Krispy Kreme in Thailand. But if you look around the country, Thailand is still awash in crappy Mister Donut and Dunkin' Donut outlets. And Krispy Kreme has, according to their Thailand website, only about 16 mall locations all located entirely around Bangkok.

About Krispy Kreme (KK). They opened in Bangkok in 2012. I was in Bangkok at that time and saw it all happening, w/ the long lines. KK has been successful. The fact that they are now in 16 mall locations testifies to KK's success. I am not sure how they would do in the hinterlands, but KK would likely be successful in Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. They are smart not to expand too much.

About Denny's. I think there is a strong niche for Denny's, but mostly likely only in Bangkok and Pattaya. Thais w/ money are willing to try different foods, which has already been demonstrated by KFC, Starbucks, Pizza Company, Sizzler, La Monita, etc. Farangs, of course, will flock to Denny's w/ money in hand, salivating all the way.

About Church's and Popeye's: Popeye's is already here; it is at the Swamp airport in the international lounge, so the only way to get it is to by an international ticket! Maybe they will expand. I love Church's chicken; I also love Popeye's chicken, both of which are, IMHO, way better than KFC. I think Thais will try and like both of these chicken places, especially given that they are "similar" to KFC in some ways, but much, much better. I doubt that all of the Church's chicken places will be located at PTT filling stations; some will almost certainly be in local malls.

did they get a similar contract as Amazon Coffee

No idea. I would find it hard to believe that any of these major franchises would engage in a contract that would not permit them to expand all over.