Availability of Insurance with WP

Health insurance is easy to get, there are a number of companies that advertise here for ex-pats, but it is expensive over 60 as it is everywhere I would imagine. I have had quotes from 35 to 85,000 Baht per year.

Having or not having a work permit has nothing to do with it, unless as mentioned an employer wants to get insurance and pay for it for you.

"Not really, but if everything is above board and your employer is paying the social security correctly you should be entitled (check age restrictions) to a social security medical card which gets cheap / free treatment at a nominated government hospital."

Pretty sure you can't enter the SS system once you reach 60. But, as mentioned, once in the system you can continue on after 60.

Not really, but if everything is above board and your employer is paying the social security correctly you should be entitled (check age restrictions) to a social security medical card which gets cheap / free treatment at a nominated government hospital.

The big plus of this is that one can continue making the contributions and reaping the benefit even after you finish work.

I wish I had known that when I had a work permit.