Farangs riding scooters in middle of the road

nemrut

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ride my bicycle in the middle of a lane too.

If you don't a lorry or bus will squeeze you off the road, or drive past frighteningly close.

Not to mention highway offlanes, I'm well in the middle passing them else a car will pull alongside me then attempt to force me over.

Make em change lanes to pass you is safest.

PS

In town I'm cycling at the speed limit, if you overtake me you are breaking the law.

(Not that anyone cares about speed limits)

Well you are one of them that piss me off, does not matter if you are going fast, stay over to the left. Dumb Dumb.

If you don't a lorry or bus will squeeze you off the road, or drive past frighteningly close.

Not to mention highway offlanes, I'm well in the middle passing them else a car will pull alongside me then attempt to force me over.

PS

In town I'm cycling at the speed limit, if you overtake me you are breaking the law.

What is the speed limit in town? Wasn't there a thread recently about the authorities thinking about reducing it to 40kph?

A good question but will it make the slightest bit of difference? I see a lot of 60 in a circle painted on the ring roads lately, have been a few for a long time now but lots more added recently. Tell me, have you ever seen a vehicle take the slightest bit of notice? In fact the number of vehicles doing twice that speed is the norm.

I know it doesn't make a difference. Just wondering how fast MaeJoMTb cycles around town...

I ride in a full lane (at the right lane if multiple lane road) and ride with the flow of traffic. No car ever has to wait on me. The left side is filled with people turning, entering the road, exiting the road, all kinds of motorbike, bicycle, cart, pedestrian, etc. The real issue here in my opinion is that Thais (and others) do not see motorbike traffic as equal to their car. They afford motorbike riders little to no consideration, when in reality any sane and responsible person driving a car would afford any motorbike extra consideration given the vulnerability of riders and the extreme consequences of accidents. I ride 100 km a day in CM and have been riding here for over 14 years and am continually amazed at the low level of driver consciousness that pervades this country!

The far left side is a perfect place to get clipped by someone opening a parked car door or nailed by someone pulling out of a side street without looking

And where you're likely to encounter rocks, glass, metal or any other object thrown out of the window of a >= 4 wheel vehicle.

Far left is very very very dangerous.

Could be a bit of a debate about this. Basically, if you're keeping up with what passes for a flow of traffic here, you should be allowed as much of the lane as anyone else (car, bicycle, motorcy), but if you're going significantly slower than the flow, you should keep left/out of the way. It's speed rather than just position that's key.

Position is very important actually, when your trained in England to ride a motorbike, they tell you to ride off centre to the left because the middle of the road is where most of the oil, grease etc comes from cars over periods of time making dangerous to ride directly in the middle of the road. I think you'll find the majority of people who are riding in the middle of the road are untrained.

Edited by mick01827

Do not know where you live, but I have seen the motorcycle swarms in Bangkok... But in the outer areas, it was never too bad. Personally, I always stayed towards the center of the road, and found it to be much safer.... Do you drive a car? Or a motorcycle? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Could be a bit of a debate about this. Basically, if you're keeping up with what passes for a flow of traffic here, you should be allowed as much of the lane as anyone else (car, bicycle, motorcy), but if you're going significantly slower than the flow, you should keep left/out of the way. It's speed rather than just position that's key.

Position is very important actually, when your trained in England to ride a motorbike, they tell you to ride off centre to the left because the middle of the road is where most of the oil, grease etc comes from cars over periods of time making dangerous to ride directly in the middle of the road. I think you'll find the majority of people who are riding in the middle of the road are untrained.

It used to be taught this way in the states as well, but visibility wise, staying to the center (not necessarily DEAD center, but close) and further back is now considered preferable to riding on either side of the lane. This way, people can see you in all three mirrors instead of just the one side that you're riding on.

Yes, there is sometimes an oil slick in the center of the lane, especially after a light rain. However, if you stay just to the left of that line, you are in a better position to make a quick escape than if you're staying far left.

I agree that riding in the left of the left lane is the most risky position to ride in given any road. Riding in the centre is better but not without risks as well. If a car, truck or bus has engine problems or lack maintainence then guess where the oil leaks onto the road? Yes its in the centre of the road where you are more likely to come across oil and after rain its very slippery/dangerous.

Personally I prefer to drive on the right of the left lane or the right of the right lane. As has been said before, it all depends on the traffic flow. I never intentionally drive to hold up faster moving traffic and on the CRF250 can maintain speed with the flow in the right lane easily.

From what I learnt with the Thai road code, motorcycles/scooters should use the left lane. It doesnt state that they must use the left lane. That in itself is open for interpretation, however the BiB will always see it their way whenever tea money is due. For what its worth, I dont mind where any vehicle operates... as long as they drive with due dilligence and dont cause chaos on the roads (Which could lead to road rage). As law abiding people we should all be afforded the same status on the road and respect other road users at the same time.

I think it all boils down to common sense. I drive on the Suk in Pattaya most days. The far left is absolutely lethal for a motorbike rider. Uneven pavement, drainage grids, cars bolting out of the sois (or worse, coming half way out into the lane and stopping), motorbikes going up the road the wrong direction, large trucks and double-decker tour buses double parked or trying to turn onto a tiny soi... And all of this at 60 - 70 kph. I definitely stay to the center or even the right hand side of the left lane on the Suk. I'll even move into the center lane if I have to.

On the side roads, I tend to stay a little further left. Although many of the same hazards are present, I'm going at a slower speed and can correct for them more easily. I still won't stay far left, though. It's just too dangerous.

If you learned to ride a bike in Europe you will have been taught defensive riding. Middle of the lane and keeping up with traffic. PLenty of good reasons for this. On the inside of the lanes typically is where the drains live, the dust and sh*te kicked up from motorists settles there too. Endless dangers, particularly in LOS where the drivers simply ignore bikes. They will creep past you and cut across infront of you to turn left. Rubbish bins tend to live in that part of the road too, as do parked cars sometimes illegally. The camber on the road is more pronounced as you get closer to the kerb.

However, if you learned to ride a bike in Thailand... Oh wait, people don't lear to ride in Thailand do they? You ride where you want mate - if you want to prolong your life take the centre of the lane. Thailand has the second most dangerous roads in the World... Up to you!

perhaps they find it safer in the middle of the road gives them a wider perspective thais try and keep to the left because they think its safer on the inside lane .

WHAT THAIS DO ??????? On the highway with a parking stroke, they stay mostly on it, but go to the middle of the left lane (without using the direction lamp) before a turn to avoid parked cars are the wrong way upcoming motocyclles you cant see.

In town are in landways they drive as they want.

read most of the posts and you see that theres good reason to ride in the centre of the road /lane

i do this also as its the safest place to be as long as you are going with the traffic flow and not holding anybody up

even then people will pass you and force you over

i usually follow a car when possible as this gives me very good protection from head on collisions

many times minivans give me a blast on the horn to move out of the way just so they go move up 2 metres behing the next vehicle

us bike riders are there because its the safest place to be

its as simple as that

Scooters are registered to be driven on the road. Despite what the Thai mindset thinks ... the size/price of your vehicle is not a legal factor.

I ride on the shoulder when signs indicate I should. Otherwise I ride where it's SAFER.

I totally disagree some ideas of people here.

scooters, bicycles, should stay left, cars trucks vans busses right, so that they clearly split from each other.

Most deadly motorbike accidents happen in the middle of the road !

Why left ?

1. with many vans, busses, high cars its difficult to see the traffic far in front of you, mostly only back of the car in front of you. (left side you can look as far as you want)

2. if the car suddenly break, because of something crossing you couldn't see, you smash to the backside, or in worst case smashed between 2 cars. As 1 guy said I can quickly move to left or right, sorry but its an escape that mostly end in accident too. (left side, you don't have to care if car stop or slow down)

3. if you want to overtake, you mostly do right, by first hanging close to the corner of the car, not seeing what comes out of left lane in front of the car. (left you see all danger potentials from the left, and in front of you)

4. if I want to cross a road out of a left lane or parking place, I can see the cars coming, empty space coming I want to cross and last minute I see a scooter behind it right side ! or they fill up the whole lane different positions, I can not cross easy and hold waiting in the middle.

5. traffic jam, on a 2 lane road, sometimes have scooter-car-scooter-car-scooter next to each other meandering between the cars, what gives more jams, scooter-car-car = more space , no jam for scooters, or some scooter popping up from the right between 2 cars.

6. because it makes it everywhere equal, some roads they say I drive middle and overtake right side, other roads where traffic go fast, it can not .., if every scooter stay left everywhere, its clear and same, and it is the law. (I don't talk about big moto that drive same high speed as car) as car driver you only watch other cars, (and only scooters if you have to turn left) instead of popping up scooters, left right in front and behind you.

7. many time I see middle drivers frustrating blocking cars, trucks busses , because the driving slower in front of them, and be blocked, can not pass, have to trump = break, = scooters quickly move to the left = dangerous

Is it 100 % save ? no

- cars from a left soi or parking often come out to far, Why, because many scooters ride middle so why care ? if everyone drive left, they will care and not do anymore.

- if a car turn left and block me, I can break down, or if I fall or be hit, I fall in the grass or saver place, not between cars in the middle of the road.

- there is damage and dirt yes, but also in the middle, and at least I have further view to se it coming. Is up to government to keep it clean and repaired, not to me to choose a more dangerous position.

As the posts above state, you are allowed as much of the lane as anyone else as long as you are keeping up.

Maybe they're starting to follow the example of the Chinese?

Is that actually Thai Law? Or just opinion based on laws back home? I have heard that if a person gets in an accident on a scooter here and is out of the motorbike lane and in the "car lanes" they will be found at fault. The shoulder is considered to be the motorbike lane.

Maybe someone has the real dope on Thai Law regarding this?

Many of you advocating for riding your bike in the center of the lane are being as selfish as the Thais you often criticize. You've brought your entitled 'my way or the highway' western mindset which will not serve you well in Thailand.

Given the high number scooters on the road, how practical would it be if most scooters occupied the center of the lane? The roads would be backed up for miles as youre essentially giving each person on two wheels the space of a car. How do you think this scenario would play out in your home country if the same percentage of scooters were on the road? Not very well I believe.

Many Farang don't seem to understand that theyre in a developing country where laws, regulations and driving habits are still evolving. As such, you need to adapt to the culture and go with the flow instead of expecting Thais to respect your sense of entitlement.

Many of you advocating for riding your bike in the center of the lane are being as selfish as the Thais you often criticize. You've brought your entitled 'my way or the highway' western mindset which will not serve you well in Thailand.
Given the high number scooters on the road, how practical would it be if most scooters occupied the center of the lane? The roads would be backed up for miles as youre essentially giving each person on two wheels the space of a car. How do you think this scenario would play out in your home country if the same percentage of scooters were on the road? Not very well I believe.
Many Farang don't seem to understand that theyre in a developing country where laws, regulations and driving habits are still evolving. As such, you need to adapt to the culture and go with the flow instead of expecting Thais to respect your sense of entitlement.

I am adapting my driving to Thai roads. In the states, I wouldn't be worried about people driving the wrong direction up the freeway (unless drunk - it happens occasionally) or cars pulling out of side streets directly onto 8 lane freeways or people pushing hand carts up the road instead of the sidewalk. So, I've adapted by moving over a little to avoid all of the obstacles that would not exist where I originally got my motorcycle license. I don't see how that is failing to adapt. I'd say we're adapting pretty well.

Besides, even if I'm on the far left hand side of the left hand lane, there still isn't room for a car or truck to fit in the lane with me. I ride a PCX 150. Not a 'big bike' but certainly not small enough to fit in a lane with another car right next to me unless it's a Mini Cooper or something. I still need that space between the car in front of me and the car behind me. Moving over a foot and a half to the left won't change that.

As the posts above state, you are allowed as much of the lane as anyone else as long as you are keeping up.

Is that actually Thai Law? Or just opinion based on laws back home? I have heard that if a person gets in an accident on a scooter here and is out of the motorbike lane and in the "car lanes" they will be found at fault. The shoulder is considered to be the motorbike lane.

Where exactly is this "motorbike lane" you speak of? Never seen one.

Where exactly is this "motorbike lane" you speak of? Never seen one.

Between the parking stroke and the left lane you can see sometimes a bleu lane (+ - 2 meter large) Exclusif for motocycles are cycles But used by the cars to drive slowly and look the stores sad.png . This mostly if on the side of the highway are big stores or schools and in some villages the way cross.

PS

What is the speed limit in town? Wasn't there a thread recently about the authorities thinking about reducing it to 40kph?

A good question but will it make the slightest bit of difference? I see a lot of 60 in a circle painted on the ring roads lately, have been a few for a long time now but lots more added recently. Tell me, have you ever seen a vehicle take the slightest bit of notice? In fact the number of vehicles doing twice that speed is the norm.

I know it doesn't make a difference. Just wondering how fast MaeJoMTb cycles around town...

40Km/hr on the straight, my average road speed around town 30Km/hr.

It is scarey watching mopeds weave their way to the front whilst being passed by schoolkids flat out on skinny wheeled tuned mopeds just riding like they want to die.

I drive a car or pick up so I can live longer but I drive courteously towards all mopeds regardless of how annoying, arrogant, dangerous, selfish, ignorant, rude and downright stupid they are.

I am in no hurry to kill or hurt anyone here in Thailand and I hope they will give me the same level of normal human decency in return. I wont hold my breath while I wait for that to happen though.