News On The New Regulation

A few people have mentioned that we need to just do things the legal way. I ve no problem with that.

SO what are the legal ways to get a visa/residency for a 26 year old who maybe wants to have a business in Thailand?

What are the legal ways now?

All I need to make money is an internet connection and laptop so techically speaking I can leave to other Asian countries for 90 days at at time, but thats not ideal.

Any suggestions? Cheers

Register a Thai company, and issue yourself a work permit, and class B visa.

You only need to register the company for 2 million baht capital, and you only have to pay in 500,000 baht of that amount. Total fees for registering a company like this, 19,000 baht.

Basically, cuttler is correct, but there're a couple of things to be added to get the full picture of financiel requirements: 1) 19,000 sounds okay for basic company setup, but if you need professional assistance with things such as tax-registration, vat-registration, workpermit and visa - 35-45,000 bath is more likely. 2) Once upon a time, the first yearly audit will come around, at that time they'll like to see that all of the 2,000,000 baht has been paid up (most easily proved if in the shape of cash paid into the company account, but reasonable assets might do (it'll take more than a laptop and an internet connection to count for 1,5000,000 baht, of course).

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock this is! :D

If I understand things right, my missus and daughter can't see me as we are still working on her visa to stay with me in Saudi, and I can't see her 'cos I used my quota during our wedding 2 weeks ago (flew to Thailand on 22-Aug, departed 2-Sep for honeymoon, arrived 4-Sep on cruise ship, departed 5-Sep on cruise ship, arrived in BKK on 8-Sep for my last night, and departed on 9-Sep for work). I can't even go over and help her to bring our daughter over unless I get a transit / tourist visa myself, and I next qualify for a VOA in 23-Feb next year.

And don't mention Thai-friendly Bahrain, 'cos that has been unequivocally rejected by the missus.

The missus usually insists I hold her hand as we leave the country, bit shy that way. Missus ain't gonna be happy... :o

Additionally, when :D I leave this @$%^hole of a country, there will be scramble for my passport as my employer looks to get an exit visa for Saudi and I look to get an entry visa for Thailand...

News from the new regulation:

This is coming from the Chief of Immigration.

1.Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa now. ( change of what has been happing the last couple weeks)

2.Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. They want these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3..Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew. (Yes I know reversal from several hours ago but the government is aware that people bought condos before on this scheme and now will allow it.)

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6 weeks without having a visa.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

7.On an extension of stay based on being a Monk. No dependents will be allowed to get an extension of stay based on being a dependent.

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---

Your best choice:

Get a multiple Non-Immigrant Visa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/422.0.html

Sunbelt, can you please clarify?

Visa on Arrival is an entirely different classification to Leave to Remain. Many people on many threads have been confusing the definitions. As far as I know, the statement you have made on point 5 above, applies to citizens from the 41 countries that have an automatic 30 days Leave to Remain. I don't know anyone that is a citizen from any of those countries that has ever received a Visa on Arrival. Visas on Arrival are normally granted to people that apply for a visa when they arrive in their destination country, based on the same criteria as applying in the foreign consulate of their home country... I think I'm right?

The reason why this clarification is important, is that the statement isolates non-visa holders. If you do (however possible) somehow manage to get a Visa on Arrival, you're OK. If you actually have (what most people accept on this forum to be a VOA), 30 days Leave to Remain, you don't have a visa.

A subtle, but essentially vital, difference

Im sick of the attitude that some people are showing here. Its almost like they are very happy that some of us will now have problems. Rediculous

I agree, for a lot of people this is going to cause (already causing) much stress and inconvenience. Others should consider that instead of saying som nam na.

The following is copied from Wikipedia:

som nam na, can be interpreted as "you got what you deserved," "serves you right" or "I'm laughing at your bad luck."

In German it is called schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude is also referenced in the Simpsons episode "When Flanders Failed." Lisa accuses Homer of feeling schadenfreude when Homer gloats about Ned Flanders being on the verge of bankruptcy. Lisa asks Homer, "Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?", to which Homer replies in a sarcastic tone, "No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me because I'm dying to know." Lisa then explains "It's a German term for shameful joy, taking pleasure in the suffering of others." Homer responds with "Oh, come on, Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt! He's usually all happy and comfortable, and surrounded by loved ones, and it makes me feel...what's the opposite of that shameful joy thing of yours?" "Sour grapes." "Boy, those Germans have a word for everything."

Taking pleasure in other suffering is so not cool. Best of luck to all types of visa holders, investors, etc.

he he, thanks for the mostly off-topic but great post. lightens things up.

as for my feelings on the rule changes...

in some casees, it hurts some guys who really don't deserve it. guys with thai spouses/kids who don't have enough money to qualify for marriage visas, guys who live in Laos and regularly buy things in thailand, and i'm sure others.

i'll also be impacted by these changes, but it isn't life-altering for me.

but i think "som nam na" really does apply to many (of course not all) of the people these new rules will impact... come on, all of us know some guys who live in thailand 30-days at a time, take jobs that Thais could do, and completely disrespect thai culture and not only live very "un-thai" lives, but they do it very indiscretely -- almost thumbing their noses at thai people.

well, those are the guys that thai people hate. and they ruined it for the rest of us. they made every foreigner a bigger target than they already were.

and you really can't blame a country for trying to clean up its obviously broken immigration laws. i think they've made some critical errors in the manner in which they're doing it, but i don't blame them for their intent, only how they're going about it.

You only need to register the company for 2 million baht capital, and you only have to pay in 500,000 baht of that amount. Total fees for registering a company like this, 19,000 baht.

Stop this non sense. It's not as simple as that.

A company is supposed to make... business.

Empty shell, without any accounting whatsoever will not put you in "favor" in front of immigration officer when you will apply for a work permit...

Can work one time.... but sooner or later...

If I understand things right, my missus and daughter can't see me as we are still working on her visa to stay with me in Saudi, and I can't see her 'cos I used my quota during our wedding 2 weeks ago (flew to Thailand on 22-Aug, departed 2-Sep for honeymoon, arrived 4-Sep on cruise ship, departed 5-Sep on cruise ship, arrived in BKK on 8-Sep for my last night, and departed on 9-Sep for work). I can't even go over and help her to bring our daughter over unless I get a transit / tourist visa myself, and I next qualify for a VOA in 23-Feb next year.

And don't mention Thai-friendly Bahrain, 'cos that has been unequivocally rejected by the missus.

The missus usually insists I hold her hand as we leave the country, bit shy that way. Missus ain't gonna be happy... :o

Additionally, when :D I leave this @$%^hole of a country, there will be scramble for my passport as my employer looks to get an exit visa for Saudi and I look to get an entry visa for Thailand...

Trying to make a fuzz out of nothing, are we? This is a Thailand related forum, so I'll assume your missus is Thai whom you've married - okay? ... Why don't you just get a non-o visa on the grounds visiting your wife?

Visa on Arrival is an entirely different classification to Leave to Remain. Many people on many threads have been confusing the definitions. As far as I know, the statement you have made on point 5 above, applies to citizens from the 41 countries that have an automatic 30 days Leave to Remain. I don't know anyone that is a citizen from any of those countries that has ever received a Visa on Arrival. Visas on Arrival are normally granted to people that apply for a visa when they arrive in their destination country, based on the same criteria as applying in the foreign consulate of their home country... I think I'm right?

The reason why this clarification is important, is that the statement isolates non-visa holders. If you do (however possible) somehow manage to get a Visa on Arrival, you're OK. If you actually have (what most people accept on this forum to be a VOA), 30 days Leave to Remain, you don't have a visa.

Maybe I can try to respond to this, first of all the term commonly used is visa exemption, which is a freeby 30 day stamp. Now it is clear that these 41 nationalities are going to be prevented from doing more then 2 border runs (or basically receiving two additional stamps within the 3 months period). Come to think of this, what happens if you prolong the first 30 days with 10 days, then by the time you receive your third stamp, it is still within the 3 months period, thus allowing a maximum stay of 100 days.

The Visa on arrival (20 countries currently) is applied for at the airport, and cost 1000 baht. It's valid for 15 days and is normally not extendable (except in special cases). Of course you could get another one by leaving and re-entering, but I read somewhere that these are affected as well, thus allowing maximum 45 days.

hi guys..

so why do people want multiple tourist visa's anyway?

surely 30 or 60 days is enough for a holiday - and thats what these tourist visa's are for.

if you are working or staying in thailand why dont you get a work or retirement or dependants visa?

i dont think that there is anything wrong here with the new visa requirements - just people trying to get around the law - for whatever reason - probably tax or insurance or just simply black employment ....

so what do such people ( multiple tourist visa ) do for a living? how do they get money? one assumes its all illigal?

so i guess thats why the thai authorities are trying to tighten up on them?

amarka :o

Some people need these visas because they are retired, under 50 and don't trust investing money in the country which seems to make since taking all of this into account. They need a retired visa for the young people. You don't have to be old to retire.

hi jbsears,

yes - that sounds ok. but how do people prove they have enough money to retire on?

its easy to move money around for a few days to get a visa.

maybe a different story if one could prove income or pension payments?

but i guess that most can't.

amarka :D

hi all...

i am actually interested in what all these "multiple visa" applicants actually do in thailand... i mean for a living/money.

surely they can all be "retired"?

The multiple entry visa is for convenience. I usually purchase a double entry tourist visa at the Royal Thai Consulate of Los Angeles for $50 (2000 Baht approx.). It is activated when I arrive in Bangkok. Essentially, I have six months when I arrive. After three months only a border run is required to activate the second visa, not necessarily a trip to an embassy/consulate to purchase another visa- whereabouts you can never guarantee the issuance of another visa (especially now).

So, not only is it convenient, but it is more reliable to have (two in pocket) rather than one. And I don't see where this convenience has been revoked, as of now. I purchased double-entry(multiple) last week.

And for your interest to know what "these people" do in Thailand...

there are many possibilities, where do you live? If not Tak Bai, you could probably ask and get some answers from some of your neighbors and some interesting stories duay.

My story is not so interesting. For the past six years I have been working seasonally in the states (six months approx.) and spending the rest of the calendar year in Thailand with my son and wife.

I know some few people using same multiple visa, to enjoy their leisure in Thailand without committing a crime. Sin is not crime?

Stop this non sense. It's not as simple as that.

A company is supposed to make... business.

Empty shell, without any accounting whatsoever will not put you in "favor" in front of immigration officer when you will apply for a work permit...

Can work one time.... but sooner or later...

It is as simple as that.

I didn't tell you to make a shell company, and I did not infer what the company would do, only the costs involved in registering it.

Someone asked if they wanted to stay in Thailand and work, how to do it ?

so I gave them an answer, isn't that what these boards are for?

The revenue department is the one that will be most concerned with this newly registered company, and if you are making money,

thus paying taxes, and not taking jobs away from Thais, then they will not give a second though to

giving a company with just a labtop and an internet connection the thumbs up.

19,000 baht is the exact amount you need, I know because I just registered a company with 2 million baht capital last month.

10,000 baht for capital registration fee, 5,000 baht for other government fees, and 4,000 baht for the company that did the registration work.

By the way I also made a foreigner the managing director of this company, and I didn't provide one single piece of accounting documents when I applied for his work permit.

He received the work permit in under 10 days.

The company that registered it for me is S.C. Accounting, you can look them up, they are in Bangkok, but you need to be able to speak Thai, they don't have any english speaking staff.

If you want some foreigner friendly agency to register the company for you, they are going to charge you foreigner rates, something like 35,000 - 40,000 baht.

Edited by cutter007

I don't speak about the technical issue regarding the incorporation.

But by doing this with a WP/visa angle, you are putting yourself in :

-the ownership of land issue with company scheme with foreign shareholders

-the visa runs

-the thai nominee (Shin etc.)

What I mean, one day the administration will do a "crack down" on empty-shell companies used by farang to by-pass immigration laws.

We had so many example of that recently, that I'm surprised that you still believe that your scheme is "perfectly legit".

In your case, maybe you are smart enought to really use your "company" to do business and to fill your accounting documents with some real datas (and cash).

But don't say to people in disaray because of the visa run crack down, that the company+WP scheme is the perfect solution.

It is only a solution (another one) to bypass regulations with a face of legitimacy.

It is as simple as that.

I didn't tell you to make a shell company, and I did not infer what the company would do, only the costs involved in registering it.

19,000 baht is the exact amount you need, I know because I just registered a company with 2 million baht capital last month.

10,000 baht for capital registration fee, 5,000 baht for other government fees, and 4,000 baht for the company that did the registration work.

The company that registered it for me is S.C. Accounting, you can look them up, they are in Bangkok, but you need to be able to speak Thai, they don't have any english speaking staff.

If you want some foreigner friendly agency to register the company for you, they are going to charge you foreigner rates, something like 35,000 - 40,000 baht.

the overseas workers made Thailand what it is today...

i think you have a much, much different perspective on this Thai people.

maybe your perspective is that overseas workers made thailand what it is today, and that what it is today is better than before, but i assure you, that isn't the thai perspective. they don't like the influence foreigners have on thailand, and the ways in which foreigners have "made it what it is today."

Trying to make a fuzz out of nothing, are we? This is a Thailand related forum, so I'll assume your missus is Thai whom you've married - okay? ... Why don't you just get a non-o visa on the grounds visiting your wife?

Yes, she is Thai. Spoke with her today and she had no clue what I was talking about (guess it didn't make the Channel 4 soaps).

My case might seem petty and trivial, and fine, mock my rantings. It is just that after spending the last 3 months fighting with my company and Saudi immigration over these visas for the Thai wife and daughter (we are still having troubles with the daughter's visa), I had assured the missus I would be there to help her with the move, 'cos she doesn't really know what was gonna happen. She was edgy about coming before, she'll be even more edgy now that I won't be there to help her.

I enjoyed the convenience of the VOA. And due to recent developments, I am looking into the non-O visas - still coming up to speed with the requirements. Just doubt I'll get in the next few weeks before the big move.

Actually, I tried to find the visa form on MFA website but couldn't see anything... Any pointers?

the tourist industry will likely force a review of the new rules...with the rise in economy airlines faciltating regular cheap weekend jaunts to BKK and elsewhere, the idea of 3 strikes and you're out is an economic nonsense unless the substitute visa is a no-hassle procedure which is probably not the intention....

I'm really wondering if they will apply 100% to the new rules as described here on Oct. 1st.

According the Don Muang airport website, they have 5milj travellers a year. This means, an average day, 14 000 people travel in and out Don Muang. Now, let's say, 50% are arrivals, that leaves 7000 people will arrive on Oct. 1st.

Assuming that 1 out of 100 people will have 3 or more VOA and won't have the required visa. This means 70 people will get into trouble and will have to be deported out of Thailand.

I have one friend who will leave for Thailand after tomorrow. His return flight is 60 days later. As he already has more than the allowed number of VOA, he was planning to do a visa run. I had a phone call with this person and he told me he won't be able to make the tourist visa and he doesn't know what to do? Will this person when doing the visa run be disallowed to enter Thailand?

In my case, I'll need a tourist visa too, but I'm leaving for Oct 13. I'll probably wait and see, because I cannot imagine that Thailand is going to apply the rule and check retro-activelly starting from Oct. 1st. If they do, I think many, many people will get into trouble.

If they stick to the new rules on Oct. 1st checking the VOA stamps retro-activelly, they will quickly notice their new rule cannot be applied due to the big number of people who won't even have had a chance to fit to the new rules....

Edited by oz457

hi guys..

surely 30 or 60 days is enough for a holiday - and thats what these tourist visa's are for.

if you are working or staying in thailand why dont you get a work or retirement or dependants visa?

i dont think that there is anything wrong here with the new visa requirements - just people trying to get around the law - for whatever reason - probably tax or insurance or just simply black employment ....

so what do such people ( multiple tourist visa ) do for a living? how do they get money? one assumes its all illigal?

Some people need these visas because they are retired, under 50 and don't trust investing money in the country which seems to make since taking all of this into account. They need a retired visa for the young people. You don't have to be old to retire.

That's basically my situation. I am retired, not yet 50, trying to play by the rules and spending 70,000 or 80,000 baht a month in Thailand. I'm not breaking any laws and I'm trying to be a nice guy and not offend anyone. I'm also making a lot of businesses and their employees happy. I would like to continue to live this way in Thailand, but if I can't I'll take my retirement pay somewhere else. Fortunately I have not made any commitments more serious than an apartment lease.

hi guys..

hi jbsears,

yes - that sounds ok. but how do people prove they have enough money to retire on?

its easy to move money around for a few days to get a visa.

maybe a different story if one could prove income or pension payments?

but i guess that most can't.

hi all...

i am actually interested in what all these "multiple visa" applicants actually do in thailand... i mean for a living/money.

surely they can all be "retired"?

Some are oil workers who may work on a rig in the north sea for a month on and a month off, some are seamen who may work on a container ship sailing from Singapore to Japan, some are seasonal workers, some are taxi drivers in London, some are freelance Doctors, lawyers, Actors, musicians etc..... Endless possibilities of people who work outside Thailand but live in Thailand who are good legal tax paying law abiding people. Who will now have to spend their money somewere else.

I do buisness with thailand: manufacturing product that I sell worldwide.

For this i'm coming to BKK every month 5 to 15 day's.

It's allready 4 year's i'm doing that and should not stop for the next 10 year

What visa should i get now?

Is it time to think of moving production to Vietnam or china?

Maybe I can try to respond to this, first of all the term commonly used is visa exemption, which is a freeby 30 day stamp. Now it is clear that these 41 nationalities are going to be prevented from doing more then 2 border runs (or basically receiving two additional stamps within the 3 months period). Come to think of this, what happens if you prolong the first 30 days with 10 days, then by the time you receive your third stamp, it is still within the 3 months period, thus allowing a maximum stay of 100 days.

The Visa on arrival (20 countries currently) is applied for at the airport, and cost 1000 baht. It's valid for 15 days and is normally not extendable (except in special cases). Of course you could get another one by leaving and re-entering, but I read somewhere that these are affected as well, thus allowing maximum 45 days.

Cheers!

Thanks for differentiating the two...

The reason why I was stressing the difference is because (as is usual for any web forum) we are not sure of the nationality of the posters. Therefore, people from the 41 countries are talking about their visa exemptions in the same way as people from the 20 countries are talking about their visa on arrivals. Unfortunately, this leads to talking at cross purposes, which can be misleading, depending on which national viewpoint you're regarding the situation from...

Glad you picked it up! :o

The problem with these threads it they get bogged down by people expressing unhelpful opinions. These new rules affect people who have been living in Thailand legally and are trying to determine if they can continue to do so, and if so, how. If you do not have a pertinent question or useful information regarding the situation, please take your rants elsewhere.

I'll close by adding my thanks to Sunbelt Asia. You have been remarkably prompt, informed and helpful on this issue. Please keep up the good work.

Sunbelt,

I work in Iraq as a Security Contractor.

I have a 1 year rental agreement for an apartment in Phuket that I payed for, 2 months ago.(180000 bath)

I moved to Thailand last year in July and my schedule and TVE looks like this:

In the last year, leading up til Oct.01 I have been in Thailand:

31 Oct-19 Nov (TVE/VOA until 29 Nov)

19 Feb-19 Mar (TVE/VOA until 20 March)

26 Jun-24 Jul (TVE/VOA until 25 July)

01 Aug- 12 Aug (TVE/VOA until 30 August)

Now I get my next leave on 15 October until 31 November....

Which means I have to do a "visa run" on Nov 15, to be able to stay until I go back to work on the 31st...I was planning to go to Singapore for a couple of days to see the sights. But I guess I cant come back, if this is a 3 stamps in a 6 month period...Since on October 15, I get my third stamp in that period....So I wont be able to go back....

Am I correct in that assumption?

And it seems from December Im working two months on, one off...

Somehow I find it uncomprenhensible that Im an "undesireable", as I spend a shitload of money on my leave, as a tourist in a tourist place, I dont break any laws, ride with a helmet on my rented motorbike, etc.... :o

I think they are hitting the wrong people with this legislation....

If they wanted to hit Chinese and Indian workers that just stay and never go back without workpermits, meaning staying as illegal aliens, then they need to target those groups specifically and not just do this shotgunning of all...

Im 35, not planned on getting married, with all these new rules and a shaky government "cracking down" on foreigners, why would any foreigner in my situation (And I know of several that do exactly what I do who live like me in Thailand) then want to invest 3-10 million Bath in a Thai-bank?

hi mate, im also a 35 year old security contarctor in Iraq, im absolutly livid about this toilet decision. Im also in an apartment in BKK and do a rotation on and off that will mean that i should get into Thailand on the 29th Sep, but after this leave period im stuffed. Ive got loads of entry visa in my passport, and even when im back, (which i consider my home now) i sometimnes jet off to nearby countries, which will make it even worse for us now!!!

The only thing i can think of, is trying to get a visa in Dubai on the way through, which im looking into now for future trips home. would mean the pain of hanging around though.... all in all its worse for us i think than anyone (us being expat overseas workers). i already said in a previous post that im already thinking of moving to try a newcountry, but this is just anger showing through. although im wondering if it gets to hard and there is no easy solution for the likes of us, it may have to happen.

(just confirm someone, that even though ive lots of visa stamps in my passport, as long as i enter thailand next toime before oct 1st i wil not be subject to the new law yet and will be able to stay for the 30 days??)

I am an overseas worker as well doing 4weeks x 4. Shouldnt be a problem right. wrong, I went down to singapore to do some shopping last time I was home so I have 1 30day stamp in my passport to many. Now I cant go home to see my wife and 3 kids. I need to get my wife to meet me in Penang to see if I can get some other king of visa. what a bunch of boneheads!!!

Sunbelt? Or any helpful, experienced souls out there... As it happens I've been with my g/f now for over a year and we're both ready for marriage. I'm 42, she's 31. Regarding the O Visa option which requires 400k baht remitted from overseas to a Thai bank account. My question is does IMM want to see an additional 400k in the bank every year upon appliying for extension? In other words 400k the first year, 800k balance for approval on second year etc.?

And if not, what's to stop people from simply rotating the same 400k in and out of the account every year? ie, can I do that??

Then what do you live on during the year? :o ?

My understanding of the 400K rule is that it is proof that you can support yourself and your family.

I have extended my marriage visa 3 times and each time I have topped up the bank account prior to going to Immigration. I have always shown them proof that all the money that has passed through the account has come from the UK.

They don't seem to be too interested in how much passes through the account each year just that there is 400K+ in the account at the time you make your application.

They have always been helpful and polite as have I, never had any problems and always received the Extension of Stay on the date stated.

Hopefully this will not change....... :D

Sunbelt,

You say that a 2 or 3 days stay on a 30-days arrival stamp will each count a s a full 30 days.

it means that a businessman based in Singapore making regular monthly 'business' trips to vist his clients in Bangkok each time for a few days would be bared to enter for 3 months after the third entry ?

I am not aware of a business visa for this type of regular very short time visits to clients. Surely these guys are not liable to pay taxes on their income ?

Or would the Thai Embassy in Singapore issue a one year multi-entry type B visa for a guy like that ?

Thanks

Edited by Krub

- Regulations can change retroactively at any minute without any warning. I think that no kind of visa is "safe". Not even the PR. Can not plan and can not count on anything. I would not plan my future and my retirement here, to be at the mercy of people who don't want me, just to be kicked out when old and sick.

Although most of us are law obeying and contribute to this country by putting money into the local economy when spending. Each one of us is spending in the neighborhood of B1,000,000 per year in this country. This money is going into the pockets of local business owners and circulates in the Thai economy. But our contribution is NOT APPRICIATED.

I live in Pattaya. Have so many VOA stamps this year as live with wife and kids but have businesses in US/Hong Kong/Philippines and BVI.....I travel a lot. I have rented a shop house in Pattaya and work permit is happening as I write. So that is covered.

However, with the seemingly endless changes to rules over the past few weeks my plans are changing a lot. The house I was going to buy this year...... no way and I have to believe prices are about to implode..... no not the general market but the Siam County Club Foreign price madness. I was going to buy 2 new cars this year ....... I dont think so now. I really hope that everyone does the same.

I have lived in many countries and I play by and follow the rules where I am living.....but never seen anywhere change more with such short notice....this is insane...... and it doesnt change what I am doing. ....but it will change my long term plans.... spending wise.

Oh it is great to be 50+ year old male with a retirement visa living correctly in the LOS.

Where as before many on here looked down on us so called oldies and said we losers and only here for the young girls because we couldn't get a lady over seas. How the world changers.

Most not all of us, are nothing like that, we respect the laws of this country, times are a changing for you so called young men. Do it the right way and all will be well. If not move on to where the rules are more laxed.

I understand there will be some problems for some, but in your heart of hearts, you knew you were bending the rules as you stepped on the buses that took you over the borders.

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :o

You don't get it Warriors, do you realise thousands of foreigners living here will need to leave Thailand NOW, because they don't fit in any more, under 50 being their biggest problem? Some will have the required specs to comply, many will not. Some will have built houses....

So, they go for next 30days stamp in say Myanmar. on that Ranong island? and can not get of that luxury casino island? :D

Do yoy realise that tourist visas will not be the solution for long stays when you have money and under 50? Sell that house if you can and move on as you say.

BTW, I am part of the lucky over 50 *sholes but have a slightly different opinion on this subject. (I got pissed off by thai embassies employee attitudes trying to get visas each year)

Sunbelt, many many thanks for the clarification.....

Unfortunately some people can see a clear glass of water as muddy.

I think the new rulings are very fair and there appears to be nothing that would be more than common sense.

But I see a lot of posters who would seem to have caught "Americanism'. Now they may not be Americans but they have developed the American attitude, that they should have something special, tailored just for their needs.

This is a beautiful country with many beautiful people. They make the rules for the benefit of the people of Thailand, not the foreigner.. Generally the rules are very easy to follow and live by, even for us foreigners. If you love being here and want to stay, simple, follow the rules. Unless you think you need special treatment, it is not difficult.

Before too many people blast this posting, let me say I am American and I see this trait developing over the past 4 - 5 years. This is one of the main reasons that Americans are not as welcome overseas today as they once were.

OMHO

Thanks again Sunbelt .

Sunbelt, many many thanks for the clarification.....

Unfortunately some people can see a clear glass of water as muddy.

I think the new rulings are very fair and there appears to be nothing that would be more than common sense.

But I see a lot of posters who would seem to have caught "Americanism'. Now they may not be Americans but they have developed the American attitude, that they should have something special, tailored just for their needs.

This is a beautiful country with many beautiful people. They make the rules for the benefit of the people of Thailand, not the foreigner.. Generally the rules are very easy to follow and live by, even for us foreigners. If you love being here and want to stay, simple, follow the rules. Unless you think you need special treatment, it is not difficult.

Before too many people blast this posting, let me say I am American and I see this trait developing over the past 4 - 5 years. This is one of the main reasons that Americans are not as welcome overseas today as they once were.

OMHO

Thanks again Sunbelt .

do you drink the water in thailand?

Thanks much for this information! I'm wondering how this affects those of us (visa runners) who have signed apartment contracts. Will we be released from our contracts early & security deposits returned....?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I doubt Immigration will take any interest in this, you will have to negotiate with the landlord.

Go to Penang and try to get a tourist visa.

Many thanks to Sunbelt for the information. :o

News from the new regulation:

This is coming from the Chief of Immigration.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

Thank you for this clarification, I'll just make a comment on item 6 as it applies to me:-

Living in the back blocks of Isaan and doing all our visa business at the Nong Khai office over a long period of time TW and I have become well known to the officials. We don't get any hassels with extension renewals which have always required two consideration stamps. I'm wondering if they will travel all over the N.E. Provinces if the applicants are known to them.

Hi, can someone define visa and visa stamps... I currently travel to Thailand about every three months from Japan, but I have an american passport and currently as I understand it don't need and dont apply for a VISA to enter thailand... Every time I enter immigration does stamp my passport but I don't know if this is a defactor visa stamp or ???? Thanks, BD