32 Bits to 64 Bits Windows 7

bapak

The kernal is different. It wouldn't be possible even if Microsoft wanted to. Just move to 64-bit and get on with your life - it's superior and we all should have been using it by 10 years ago.

The kernal is different. It wouldn't be possible even if Microsoft wanted to. Just move to 64-bit and get on with your life - it's superior and we all should have been using it by 10 years ago.

I had the 32 bit and the 64 bit version installed, I didn't find a single difference.

Yes 64 bit can handle much more memory. So if you have significant more than 4 GB RAM it helps, else it is much bigger.

As well as being more effivient and making use of additional memory over 4gb it also seems to make Windows more reliable but thats just my own anecdotal evidence.

on using "normal" applications I didn't got any windows problems since I switched from Win98 to Win2000.

Just Windows still can't handle networks well.....

I have both 32 bit and 64 bit installations of Windows 7 (Dual Boot) There is no noticeable difference in speed. I haven't ever exceeded 3GB or ram with either system. I don't run memory hungry apps or have a lot of background apps running. I still have quite a few applications and drivers that aren't 64bit compatible and won't work on the 64bit system at all even though the 64bit supposedly has a 32 bit compatibility mode. So I rarely use the 64 bit installation.

For me, it's not worth changing my main system to 64 bit! I'll still continue to run the bulk of my applications on the 32 bit installation and use the 64 bit installation for when I need extra memory.

I was a little concerned about Windows 10, but I see Windows 10 will be offered in 32bit and 64bit versions.

I run Win7 32 bit and have 4 GB RAM.

Will it be possible to turn on to the 64 bit when updating to Windows 10? Is it worth ?

As stated above. It will require a clean install using an ISO image.

IMO if you're not having any problems with the memory ceiling, no it's not worth it.

Actually you also need to be sure the processor (CPU) is x64 bit capable. Right click on Computer/My Computer/This PC on the desktop and choose properties and see if it tells what the processor is capable of. That might be listed under System Properties or System Type.

Edited by NeverSure

I run Win7 32 bit and have 4 GB RAM.

Will it be possible to turn on to the 64 bit when updating to Windows 10? Is it worth ?

If your system is a 32 bit CPU/motherboard system you can't load a 64 bit version of windows. I expect your current system is a 32 bit hardware system and that's why Win 7 32 bit is loaded.

I am not exactly sure how to check/verify that all my hardware is 64 bit compatible, but I recalled that during the Win7 installation, I was asked which version (32 or 64 bit) I'd prefer. At that time I choose 32 bit.

I've found the answer to my question at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-64-bit-to-windows-10-64-bit/2a29aa0e-473b-437e-94c7-51af8c1ed952

The free upgrade does not have the option to switch architectures, so the architecture will remain the same. If you want to switch architectures, you will have to download the Window 10 .ISO file in the appropriate architecture (32 or 64 bit) and do a custom install.

I am not exactly sure how to check/verify that all my hardware is 64 bit compatible, but I recalled that during the Win7 installation, I was asked which version (32 or 64 bit) I'd prefer. At that time I choose 32 bit.

See Neversure's post above...it will show you whether your CPU is 32 or 64 bit architecture...and also whether you have 32 or 64 bit Windows installed.

3.25GB (4GB installed) and 32 bit are enough for any light use such as internet browsing, word processing, small to medium size excel spreadsheets, emailing, etc.

Today, 4GB is "minimum spec" for new computers being sold.

The introduction of the SSD also alleviated a lot of speed problems due to lack of memory by enormously accelerating "swap memory", which is Windows storing on the HDD data that should normally go into the RAM.

If the PC is used for graphics/photo processing, large number crunching spreadsheets, gaming, etc. then 64 bit are advisable, along with 8GB+ of RAM.

Any new PC should be installed with 64 bit Windows as well as any older PC equipped with a 64 bit CPU and more than 3GB RAM, I can't see any benefit of using the 32 bit version.

Another thing to consider is, if you are still on a 3.25 GB 32 bit computer, checking your motherboard's capabilities.

Very capable 64 bit CPUs and RAM can be bought dirt cheap second hand.

Upgrading your system with a new CPU and new (and more) RAM might double or triple your system performance and push back in time the need to purchase a new PC.

I recently upgraded my daughter's PC - it was grinding, running a slowish 7 year old CPU on 4 GB RAM with a plain SATA HDD, I put in a 80 USD core quad CPU, 8 GB RAM for 90 USD and a new SSD for 80 USD as well as a new graphics card (lower midrange radeon HD 7770) for less tha 100 USD, and installed 64 bit Windows on it - the result is a PC that boots up in a handful of seconds and that can run all the newest games for her, money well spent.

Edited by manarak

As well as being more effivient and making use of additional memory over 4gb it also seems to make Windows more reliable but thats just my own anecdotal evidence.

on using "normal" applications I didn't got any windows problems since I switched from Win98 to Win2000.

I did have far less windows problems when i switched from cracked (illigal software) to legal win 7 and now win 8.1. I must its rock stable. I got 16gb of memory an I7 processor 3 SSD's totaling 1gb and 3 normal hard-disk totaling 13GB. 3 nice screens connected to it a great VGA card. I can honestly say this is one of my most stable systems.

I got an other PC that has win 7 32 on it and soon ill change it for 64 bits as it has 8gb or ram on it.

See Neversure's post above...it will show you whether your CPU is 32 or 64 bit architecture...and also whether you have 32 or 64 bit Windows installed.

I know that I have Win7 32bit installed. PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE ... x86

I also know that my CPU (Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz) Number of Bits is 64.

I know that I have Win7 32bit installed. PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE ... x86

I also know that my CPU (Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz) Number of Bits is 64.

Yeap, your CPU is a 64 bit mahince but sometimes when having a 32 bit OS installed it reports X86 when in fact it's an X86-64 and usually report as 64 bits or maybe X86-64 or as your X86. Just the way "your system" is reporting to you.

And just to be sure, did you get above info by going into your Windows Control Panel, System & Security, System where it reports along the lines of like below...below is a snapshot from my Win 8.1 system but the Win 7 report is basically the same.

post-55970-0-79484800-1433311316_thumb.j

And how is Win2000 working out for you?