Updating Income letter from UK embassy

Agreed !

My last "income letter" from the Embassy applied for by post was returned within a week.

As was mine two weeks ago...

...2440 baht

And mine as well!

In any event, how can one be 100% sure that the Embassy letter which Key Visa produce for the princely sum of 3,500 THB is genuine, or one prepared by an acquaintance of theirs who is an expert in forgery?

I have always found Key Visa to be a reasonable company with a good reputation. In any business situation Supply V Demand will determine Price. So it is that the UK Embassy can charge what it likes to produce a standard letter where their only input is to change the name/date + printing costs. There is no way this service is worth DOUBLE what the US Embassy charge. (To suggest Key Visa produce their own forgeries to deceive Pattaya Immigration is asinine.)

Key Visa charges a fee for collecting the applications/transporting them to BKK & returning them to Pattaya. Their customers are people like me who do not trust or are ignorant of the Thai Postal service. This lack of confidence is one of the reasons why some people use Visa firms to apply for Visas for their Thai partners. If there is a need, a company will spring up to fulfill it, for a price. If the price is right, the Company will thrive and vice-versa.

This is the 2nd time in as many months that this topic has cropped up. I wonder if there is malicious intent, say from a rival firm, behind this saga?

• Like 2

Bilid, I am not quibbling about who sets the price (I am aware of the FCO's hand in this and have written to complain.) I am taking issue with the price set for service offered. We are seeing a number of posters quibbling about Key Visa prices. The solution is clear; each potential customer has a clear CHOICE; Thai Post or a Visa company.

There are stores which offer the same goods for different prices. People choose where they want to shop for all sorts of reasons: convenience; customer loyalty; good service. With the UK Embassy there is no choice - they have a monopoly on a product which is a necessity to most UK ex-pats.

Instead of bleating about possible forgeries, posters can simply vote with their feet. You cannot do this with a place of business that has a monopoly of a necessity. Have any of the whingers above written to the FCO? Have they pointed out how much the UK Embassy charge for a Tourist visa for a Thai wife? Compare that to the cost of a Schengen visa.

Next you'll be saying the UK Government do not discriminate when they freeze our State Pensions!

• Like 1

Bilid, I am not quibbling about who sets the price (I am aware of the FCO's hand in this and have written to complain.) I am taking issue with the price set for service offered. We are seeing a number of posters quibbling about Key Visa prices. The solution is clear; each potential customer has a clear CHOICE; Thai Post or a Visa company.

There are stores which offer the same goods for different prices. People choose where they want to shop for all sorts of reasons: convenience; customer loyalty; good service. With the UK Embassy there is no choice - they have a monopoly on a product which is a necessity to most UK ex-pats.

Instead of bleating about possible forgeries, posters can simply vote with their feet. You cannot do this with a place of business that has a monopoly of a necessity. Have any of the whingers above written to the FCO? Have they pointed out how much the UK Embassy charge for a Tourist visa for a Thai wife? Compare that to the cost of a Schengen visa.

Next you'll be saying the UK Government do not discriminate when they freeze our State Pensions!

1. Prices are set by HMG in UK & applied in local currency worldwide.

2. Most of the services (inc pension letters) are not a requirement of HMG, indeed they'd prefer not to have to tie up so many man hours pandering to something that should be available locally and considerably cheaper without their input via lawyers, banks etc.

3. Applying by post should be routine without the need to engage 3rd parties.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

Agreed !

My last "income letter" from the Embassy applied for by post was returned within a week.

...2440 baht

And mine as well!

In any event, how can one be 100% sure that the Embassy letter which Key Visa produce for the princely sum of 3,500 THB is genuine, or one prepared by an acquaintance of theirs who is an expert in forgery?

Does the Brit Embassy mail back your bank statements or other proof of income along with the letter?

From the PDF file posted earlier. " Evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you"

Thanks for that. On two occasions when I have requested the letter personally for subsequent extension renewals, the support documentation was returned.

Earlier this year, I used Key Visa instead but they never returned the support paperwork. I asked the boss, who shrugged dismissively, turned on his heel and walked back into his office. As I was driving past the office a few minutes later, I saw another guy coming out the front door with just the single letter in his hand. I thought maybe the procedure had changed and wondered why on earth would the Embassy want to keep a 1-year bank statement?.

If I have any business with the British Embassy, I will be doing it myself again.

From the PDF file posted earlier. " Evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you"

Thanks for that. On two occasions when I have requested the letter personally for subsequent extension renewals, the support documentation was returned.

Earlier this year, I used Key Visa instead but they never returned the support paperwork. I asked the boss, who shrugged dismissively, turned on his heel and walked back into his office. As I was driving past the office a few minutes later, I saw another guy coming out the front door with just the single letter in his hand. I thought maybe the procedure had changed and wondered why on earth would the Embassy want to keep a 1-year bank statement?.

If I have any business with the British Embassy, I will be doing it myself again.

IF valuable documentation is valued then best ensure it is not entrusted to some scam "visa company" business .

coffee1.gif

Why a NZ expat is getting in a lather about a UK pension letter I don't know. I have always found the boss of Key Visa to be extremely personable. The 'valuable documentation' was copies of passport/bank statements/Income tax summaries.

I understand a scam to be some sort of a scheme whereby a person is duped into paying money over. Visa company prices are presented to you BEFORE you decide to use their services.

Agreed !

...2440 baht

Posted mine last Thursday and got it back today.

One of my certificates is still in the UK so I just sent copies of all, not a problem, and they sent them back.

Edited by sandyf

One solution could be to download online bank statement & present it suitably redacted as proof of income instead of sending multiple pieces of paper to do same.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Why a NZ expat is getting in a lather about a UK pension letter I don't know. I have always found the boss of Key Visa to be extremely personable. The 'valuable documentation' was copies of passport/bank statements/Income tax summaries.

I understand a scam to be some sort of a scheme whereby a person is duped into paying money over. Visa company prices are presented to you BEFORE you decide to use their services.

It's not the value of the documentation (beyond the 100 baht the bank charged for a 1-year printed statement), rather the personal nature of it. If I want to throw it away, that's up to me but I wasn't given the option. Do you leave "copies of passport/bank statements/Income tax summaries" with strangers?

I never disagreed with the fees that as you say, are clearly stated up front. It was very convenient as I had two appointments that day and neither could be deferred so using their visa letter service was very agreeable and convenient. Just thought it strange that they would keep the supporting paperwork.

• Like 1

It's not the value of the documentation (beyond the 100 baht the bank charged for a 1-year printed statement), rather the personal nature of it. If I want to throw it away, that's up to me but I wasn't given the option. Do you leave "copies of passport/bank statements/Income tax summaries" with strangers?

I never disagreed with the fees that as you say, are clearly stated up front. It was very convenient as I had two appointments that day and neither could be deferred so using their visa letter service was very agreeable and convenient. Just thought it strange that they would keep the supporting paperwork.

If you are stupid enough, you said it, to throw money away when the BE offer a 10 day guaranteed service by EMS with all your documents returned then that's up to you. No need to pay any money for a 1 year bank statement as most if not all accounts are now paperless. Just print out the statement covering the relevant period for virtually nothing. I wonder what you do about your report every 90 days, due to your aversion and distrust of the EMS system?

• Like 2

I really am having some difficulty in understanding and following your logic here. You complain bitterly about having to fork out 2,440 THB to the Embassy for their income confirmation letter, yet you seem more than happy to part with an extra 1,060 THB to Key Visa to obtain this letter for you!

As other contributors to this thread have pointed out on the basis of their own experiences, the postal service provided by Thailand Post is perfectly adequate for this purpose, so there really is, I think, no need for anyone to have to rely on the considerably more costly services of Thai Visa. Indeed, the service provided by Thailand Post is, in my view, far superior to that provided by that incompetent shambles called Royal Mail back home!

Now that you have written to the FCO to complain about having to fork out 2,440 THB for a full-page A4 Embassy income confirmation letter, may I take it that you will also be writing (if you have not already done so) to the Immigration Bureau to complain about their rip-off charge of 1,900 THB for a measly half-page extension of stay stamp in your passport?

OJAS

I think complaining is all about achieving a desired result. Thai Immigration are unlikely to even read, let alone understand a farang complaint about killing a cash cow such as you describe. A British institution could conceivably change their pricing IF enough complaints are made.

The extra money I pay to Key Visa is a guarantee I will achieve mythe desired outcome - the Embassy letter. Whilst I am pleased to see a number of posters reporting success with the Thai Post, my experience with their local office is woeful. Expected letters go missing or arrive late; mail is 'discovered' the day after I go in to ask about missing mail. Rather than subject myself to this anxiety over something as crucial as a visa that allows me to continue living with my wife for another year, I prefer to pay Key Visa 20 quid to make this worry go away.

• Like 1

ANON999

You make a valid point about returning documents which I will raise the next time I speak to the Key Visa boss. In these days of stolen identities and on-line computer fraud, one cannot be too careful.

ANON999

I didn't understand your point about EMS for 90 day reporting. I live 20 minutes from my Immigration office; they process me in under 10 minutes. I've never used the EMS system (indeed I just looked it up to discover what it was!) I assume you send your docs by post & get back your new reporting date? My post office is total chaos & posting a letter can take 30 minutes to get to the counter.

If you are stupid enough, you said it, to throw money away when the BE offer a 10 day guaranteed service by EMS with all your documents returned then that's up to you. No need to pay any money for a 1 year bank statement as most if not all accounts are now paperless. Just print out the statement covering the relevant period for virtually nothing. I wonder what you do about your report every 90 days, due to your aversion and distrust of the EMS system?

Oh my, here's another one who thinks that their experience and circumstances are a bloody universal.

Some points, nobody called anyone stupid except you, so listen up stupid.

A ) I had two appointments on (different) government business on the same day. One of them was getting the income letter so with no alternative options on the other one (getting a visa), I paid what I reckoned was right for 3-day service for the income letter by a third party.

B ) I was leaving the country 2 days after filing my extension so having waiting 10 days for EMS to do it wasn't an option. Otherwise EMS is rock solid IMHO.

C ) Before you jump in and presume to say, "Only stupid people leave things to the last minute," I was waiting for a new passport to arrive before I could file the extension/transfer stamps. New passport, new visa, new extension and off to work in 3 days. You still with me here Tonto? Good.

D ) "... as most if not all accounts are now paperless..." Beyond clueless. You don't bank with Bangkok Bank or else you would know that their online system allows for a maximum of only 6-months of online, downloadable and printable statements and that they charge for a 1-year statement 'from head office.'

Your assumption that I am some lame, whining, 90-day reporting coffin dodger pretty much sums up your litany of pathetic assumptions.The fact that the third party never returned the supporting documents for my income letter was my ONLY complaint. The rest you made up.

Now, unless you have something positive to offer, just bugger off. You're bloody annoying me.

Edited by NanLaew

OJAS

I think complaining is all about achieving a desired result. Thai Immigration are unlikely to even read, let alone understand a farang complaint about killing a cash cow such as you describe. A British institution could conceivably change their pricing IF enough complaints are made.

The extra money I pay to Key Visa is a guarantee I will achieve mythe desired outcome - the Embassy letter. Whilst I am pleased to see a number of posters reporting success with the Thai Post, my experience with their local office is woeful. Expected letters go missing or arrive late; mail is 'discovered' the day after I go in to ask about missing mail. Rather than subject myself to this anxiety over something as crucial as a visa that allows me to continue living with my wife for another year, I prefer to pay Key Visa 20 quid to make this worry go away.

I'm not sure whether any British institution - and certainly not the British Government in this instance - is necessarily amenable to altering their ways after being swamped with complaints. Look at the crazy passport renewal procedures which were foisted on us 15 months ago and the non-indexation of the State Pension to give but 2 examples. The British Government has refused to budge a single millimetre on either issue despite all the howls of protest emanating from this end.

And if your local post office is the bad apple in the Thailand Post barrel, isn't there another post office within reasonable travelling distance which you could use instead?

OJAS

I'm not sure whether any British institution - and certainly not the British Government in this instance - is necessarily amenable to altering their ways after being swamped with complaints. Look at the crazy passport renewal procedures which were foisted on us 15 months ago and the non-indexation of the State Pension to give but 2 examples. The British Government has refused to budge a single millimetre on either issue despite all the howls of protest emanating from this end.

And if your local post office is the bad apple in the Thailand Post barrel, isn't there another post office within reasonable travelling distance which you could use instead?

The only 2 examples (ad nauseum). Both have inexorably long, dedicated threads on TV already so the reminders are superflous.

Don't worry about the monthly embassy garden parties, they stopped those years ago... and inviting me way before that.